• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kess

It's the Olympics, so Trump is going to say something so big and so stupid to try and overshadow them. It's the perfect event for him to spout racist, nationalistic remarks. The timing of the whole thing is like a comet hitting the moon during a solar eclipse or something

Finished that whole interview.......I just can't anymore.

It's also hilarious how little he knows about which counties are swing counties in the states he needs the most. He literally is not running a campaign

sonicmj1

I generally agree that it is very unlikely he drops out, but I don't know how you could read that transcript and not recognize that a part of him knows his ship is headed for the iceberg. That was pure desperation.

Well, he's upset. After all, in his mind, he's being treated so unfairly in the press, very unfairly, and he's being viciously attacked by all these people. It's completely unfair how he's being treated.

But he's still talking about how well things are going, how much support he gets on social media and at his rallies, about how he's going to win all these states and how he had a better convention and everything. Iceberg? What iceberg? Full steam ahead!

Since everybody's pulling quotes from this interview, here's one I liked.

Washington Post said:
RUCKER: That word fighter, that was in the Democratic Convention every night, that was the big theme for Hillary, that she’s been fighting her whole . . .

TRUMP: Hillary’s not a fighter.

RUCKER: . . . life for children and families.

TRUMP: Hillary’s not a fighter.

RUCKER: Why do you say that?

TRUMP: And Hillary’s not a change person. She’s gonna be a person to keep it just the way it is. It’s gonna be four more years of [President] Obama.

Put that on a bumper sticker.

Maengun1

All this Trump fuckery is amazing and I love it, don't get me wrong, but I'm like......it's August 2nd. This is the kind of meltdown I would maybe expect from a doomed campaign on November 2nd.

I can't believe we're going to have 97 more days of this shit. Like, can we all just get together as a country and vote tomorrow? Christ.

I have to say, if I were Trump's campaign manager (yuck) at this point I'd certainly just let him do whatever he wants with no argument and collect my checks.

Anyone else sad and upset after coming to the realization that we will never witness such fuckery in 2020? Heck, we will never get to top this ever again in our lifetime? I mean, this is truly once in lifetime event. Or once in 10 lifetimes. We are living through history that will be talked about until the Republic crumbles and I'm sad that 2020 will parade the usual droll conservative assholes like Scott Walker and Rubio.

Unless Ben Carson runs and wins.........

God no. By 2020 there will be a liberal majority in the Supreme Court and hopefully Obamacare and the climate change regulations will be too deeply embedded to back out. I hope the GOP runs a sane, boring Romney-like candidate. That week or so when it looked like Trump may actually win was terrible. I never want to deal with that again.

sphagnum

Banned
Anyone else sad and upset after coming to the realization that we will never witness such fuckery in 2020? Heck, we will never get to top this ever again in our lifetime? I mean, this is truly once in lifetime event. Or once in 10 lifetimes. We are living through history that will be talked about until the Republic crumbles and I'm sad that 2020 will parade the usual droll conservative assholes like Scott Walker and Rubio.

Cruz could still do some crazy things in 2020.

Tendo

The GOP can't dump him at this point can they? I mean Hillary has it wrapped up, I'd hate to see some new challenger come screw up her lead.

All in all I would sum up today as

Xc7G4nU.gif

I imagine that's the reaction of everyone in the entire political spectrum, including trump staff.

User1608

Banned
If Trump were to be replaced, I am absolutely certain a good chunk of his supporters would feel alienated and sit it out come election day.

The GOP can't dump him at this point can they? I mean Hillary has it wrapped up, I'd hate to see some new challenger come screw up her lead.

If they dump him does he run on his own? I'm not betting on it. Do his supporters automatically vote for the GOP candidate anyways. More likely, but not all of them.

Muzy72

Banned

I'm glad that we (hopefully) will never have to deal with this kinda shit. I need the racists to get back into their closets.

Iolo

Pence continues to get the short end of the stick in that WP transcript. Trump says 1 sentence about him after being prompted and then moves on to something completely unrelated.

Now that he's the nominee Trump can't be removed from the ticket. The GOP can only name another candidate if he voluntarily resigns or dies.

Tendo

If they dump him does he run on his own? I'm not betting on it. Do his supporters automatically vote for the GOP candidate anyways. More likely, but not all of them.

Would they even be able to get someone else on the ballot now if he dropped? I can't believe these are questions I am asking. Are there even rules for this? Bunch of malarkey.

ampere

All in all I would sum up today as

Xc7G4nU.gif

I imagine that's the reaction of everyone in the entire political spectrum, including trump staff.

My mom was talking to some of her students and they think he HAS to be a Dem plant. There's no way someone is that damn

I've mulled it... but going with Occam's Razor. He's just dumb as shit and likes to have things

KMS

Pence continues to get the short end of the stick in that WP transcript. Trump says 1 sentence about him after being prompted and then moves on to something completely unrelated.

I wish there was a video of Pence's reaction when told Trump wasn't endorsing Ryan or McCain.

This interview is fucking hilarious. Trump has the attention span of a flea. Reminds me of a 1 yr old randomly pointing at things.

Screen_Shot_2016_08_03_at_12_52_50_AM.jpg

Bowdz

If I were a network, I'd be offering top dollar to Ryan, McConnell, or Preibus to just be allowed to follow them around with a camera for the rest of the year and air it after the election. Shit would be golden.

The PoliGAF 2016 Electoral College Sweepstakes is going to be dull when all the states in the toss-up and lean categories go for Clinton.

The game will be in guessing which Lean GOP states that haven't been polled very much will flip to Hillary.

I'm thinking KS/AZ/UT right now, but tomorrow could change things (GA will be a tossup by the time we get to November 1st).

I saw some chatter on Johnson and vaccination in the last thread before it closed, and I figured I'd throw in my two cents.

Johnson opposes forced vaccination. In this, he joins the federal government and all fifty states, none of which make vaccination compulsory. If such a law ever were passed, it's not clear that it would be constitutional (then again, "three generations of imbeciles is enough" Buck v. Bell holding forced sterilization constitutional is apparently good law and was cited within this century, so maybe it would).

Antivax is bullshit, vaccinations don't cause autism, and they're responsible for the most spectacular gains in life expectancy the human race has ever seen. Still, and I would expect liberals to understand this: bodily autonomy is important. If there ever were a case for the government to force people to undergo a medical procedure, vaccinations would be it. But you don't have to be an antivax nut or even a libertarian to be uneasy at the notion that the government can compel you to undergo a medical procedure without your consent.

If preventable diseases ever do make a serious comeback thanks to the hysteria I may change my mind. For now, I oppose coerced vaccination for the same reason I support a woman's right to choose, and oppose coerced sterilizations.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If Trump were to be replaced, I am absolutely certain a good chunk of his supporters would feel alienated and sit it out come election day.

My expectation is the republicans will just say "dont vote trump"

They really aren't in a good spot right now. There is no real way for the GOP to win in terms of their choices.

ampere

Trump when asked about anything to do with him: so good, beyond good, great, the best. No details, just simple adjectives

Anything about his opponent: corrupt, liar, evil, bad, Sad!

sangreal

I saw some chatter on Johnson and vaccination in the last thread before it closed, and I figured I'd throw in my two cents.

Johnson opposes forced vaccination. In this, he joins the federal government and all fifty states, none of which make vaccination compulsory. If such a law ever were passed, it's not clear that it would be constitutional (then again, "three generations of imbeciles is enough" Buck v. Bell holding forced sterilization constitutional is apparently good law and was cited within this century, so maybe it would).

While "forces vaccination" is not a thing mandatory vaccination for public schoolchildren is nearly universal in all 50 statea and is opposed by Gary Johnson

I'm dumbfounded that the man doesn't even know how you go to vote. He's under the impression that people can show up multiple times and at multiple places if they wanted to. Number he stated in the interview was 10, to be precise. That's... not how this works. Not even GOP "voter fraud" claims are anywhere near that stupid. Not even Sanders "voter fraud" is anywhere near that stupid. And he's obviously never known what Voter ID was until last week and how it doesn't exist most places. Hell, he clearly doesn't even know that voting has a registration process, to say nothing of proof of residence or anything else.

His rigged election nonsense probably started with a message from an advisor about laws being thrown out for November. "WHAT? They don't have to give ID? It's gonna be rigged!" That would be a completely normal Trump reaction to hearing that laws were suspended by courts for 3 states because he stopped listening before the "states" part was said. Then assuming it meant for everyone and it would be super easy to cheat or something just as stupid. This is Trump. Absolutely nothing is outside the bounds of political stupidity anymore. The man doesn't know how the physical voting process works.

Antivax is bullshit, vaccinations don't cause autism, and they're responsible for the most spectacular gains in life expectancy the human race has ever seen. Still, and I would expect liberals to understand this: bodily autonomy is important. If there ever were a case for the government to force people to undergo a medical procedure, vaccinations would be it. But you don't have to be an antivax nut or even a libertarian to be uneasy at the notion that the government can compel you to undergo a medical procedure without your consent.

If preventable diseases ever do make a serious comeback thanks to the hysteria I may change my mind. For now, I oppose coerced vaccination for the same reason I support a woman's right to choose, and oppose coerced sterilizations.

Vaccinations are not forced, so it's kind of an odd position to stake out. It's like saying you don't support the draft these days; no one's drafting, so what are you talking about?

The only vaccine requirements nationwide are for children in schools, covering some of the larger issues: diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, measles, and rubella.

No one is particularly changing this. No one's looking into changing it. It's a non-issue unless you seek to not vaccinate your children.

Last year, non-vaccinated or under-vaccinated children caused the largest measles outbreak in California in a long time. For a disease that we had pretty much killed.

Health officials declared measles eliminated in the US in 2000 after decades of intensive childhood vaccine efforts led to widespread vaccination.

But a resurgence of the disease in recent years – linked to the rise of a movement among largely wealthy and well-educated parents who resist calls to inoculate children, often claiming erroneously that vaccinations are linked to mental impairment – has public health officials concerned. Last year, the nation saw its highest number of measles cases in two decades.

Measles transmits through coughing, sneezing and contact with a sick person or with contaminated surfaces. It is contagious four days before a rash appears and four days afterward. Measles and its complications, including encephalitis and blindness, were linked to 145,700 deaths worldwide in 2013.

In the case of those diseases and children, screw your right to choose. It leads to shit like this.

The mother and father of the six-year-old who is fighting for his life at the Intensive Care Unit of Barcelona’s Vall de Hebron hospital are “destroyed and feel cheated” by the anti-vaccination movement that convinced them not to immunize their son.

Antoni Mateu, Catalonia’s regional secretary for public health said he had met the parents of the child and they had expressed their regret over their lapse of judgement.

"They are a lovely couple and both feel a terrible sense of guilt," he told a press conference on Friday.

Or this.
The grieving mother and father of a four-week-old baby who died from whooping cough in Australia have rallied against anti-vaccination parents, urging them to look at a photograph of their son Riley and “then come and tell me how you think immunisation is a bad thing”.

Or this:
Although her first three children were immunised - on what she described as an “alternative schedule” - the youngest four received no vaccinations at all.

"I just got scared. I got spooked. I thought, 'There's a lot of smoke, there must be fire.' We stopped vaccinating," she told CBC News.

A trip to the doctor's surgery was followed by hospital tests, which confirmed whooping cough.

The highly infectious disease takes its name from the characteristic whoop noise that young children make following a cough as they struggle to catch their breath.

Young infants are at particular risk of severe complications and even death.

Its selfish and dangerous. And Johnson wants to get rid of mandatory vaccination for schoolchildren.

So no, there's no "Hey, he's okay" wiggle room there.

sangreal

Just straight up not answering journalists' questions now: https://twitter.com/nathanfielder/status/760700288495915012

haha that thought crossed my mind when that happened but they resolved the issue eventually. Not that he ever answered the question, or any of Don Lemon's questions. The whole interview was really bizarre. Don Lemon kept asking about Trump while that guy just kept saying he won't talk about Trump but Paul Ryan sux

Piecake

It will be interesting to see if the Republicans bite the bullet and confirm Garland for the Supreme Court.

It should be pretty clear now that Clinton is the likely winner. And even if Trump does win, it should also be pretty clear that Trump can't be controlled and will do whatever the fuck he wants.

I look forward to how they will walk back that "allow the next president to appoint the next justice" line.

Bowdz

The past 48 hours have given Clinton SO much ammo for the debates. She has a comeback now for literally every bomb Trump throws.

Vaccinations are not forced, so it's kind of an odd position to stake out. It's like saying you don't support the draft these days; no one's drafting, so what are you talking about?

Well, that would be why in order to make this into an issue people had to dredge up a single tweet from 2011 that simply read "no to mandatory vaccines." It's not like it's a serious issue of his campaign.

Its selfish and dangerous. And Johnson wants to get rid of mandatory vaccination for schoolchildren.

So no, there's no "Hey, he's okay" wiggle room there.

Are you serious? That link doesn't say anything like opposing mandatory vaccination as a condition for attending school. The whole of it reads:

"Should the federal government require children to be vaccinated for preventable diseases?
Gary Johnson’s answer: No."

Googling around I can't find anything that indicates that he opposes that, just that he doesn't want vaccines at the point of a gun.

Incidentally, my googling did turn up this.

The Atlantic said:
“We’ve seen just a skyrocketing autism rate,” said Obama said at a campaign stop in Pennsylvania. “Some people are suspicious that it’s connected to the vaccines.”

Earlier that year, McCain had said there was “strong evidence that indicates that [a rise in autism rates] has got to do with a preservative in vaccines.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/08/an-anti-vaxer-in-the-white-house/493916/

Klocker

I'm dumbfounded that the man doesn't even know how you go to vote. He's under the impression that people can show up multiple times and at multiple places if they wanted to. Number he stated in the interview was 10, to be precise. That's... not how this works. Not even GOP "voter fraud" claims are anywhere near that stupid. Not even Sanders "voter fraud" is anywhere near that stupid. And he's obviously never known what Voter ID was until last week and how it doesn't exist most places. Hell, he clearly doesn't even know that voting has a registration process, to say nothing of proof of residence or anything else.

His rigged election nonsense probably started with a message from an advisor about laws being thrown out for November. "WHAT? They don't have to give ID? It's gonna be rigged!" That would be a completely normal Trump reaction to hearing that laws were suspended by courts for 3 states because he stopped listening before the "states" part was said. Then assuming it meant for everyone and it would be super easy to cheat or something just as stupid. This is Trump. Absolutely nothing is outside the bounds of political stupidity anymore. The man doesn't know how the physical voting process works.

Good post that's insanity

Oh yeah it got buried in the last thread, but whoever Stacie Scott is they're a master class troll

Co4fYFxW8AAXkfv.jpg
Holy shit spit take, first time I noticed the caption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom