• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched Michelle Obama's 2016 speech three times now, and I get tears in my eyes every time. I love her speech. And I'm frustrated she will never hold office.

I think she'd have a pretty easy ticket to the white house if she wanted it. She's a great speaker, probably more well-liked by democrats than even Barack, and has a folksiness to her that would keep accusations of elitism or anti-western sentiment or whatever is used against Obama from sticking to her.

CCS

Banned
As an aside, I'm kinda happy that Hillary is basically not in the news at all at the moment.

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"

Maledict

Don't like how Clinton is warming up to moderate Republicans.

What's the long term advantage?

When your opponent leaves the centre ground you occupy it. It's how you win elections and guarantee large majorities that get things done.

There is nothing to be gained by moving to the left in response to your opponent moving to the right. The more the country backs your candidate, the more you can get done.

Risky.

Repubs aren't going to stay after Dumpster Fire is gone, I guess take advantage of the short-term benefits.
There's a leader and an article in this week's Economist, on what they think is the new political divide.
20160730_LDD001_0.jpg

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...t-contest-matters-now-open-against-closed-new
The conventions highlighted a new political faultline: not between left and right, but between open and closed. Donald Trump, the Republican nominee, summed up one side of this divide with his usual pithiness. “Americanism, not globalism, will be our credo,” he declared. His anti-trade tirades were echoed by the Bernie Sanders wing of the Democratic Party.

America is not alone. Across Europe, the politicians with momentum are those who argue that the world is a nasty, threatening place, and that wise nations should build walls to keep it out. Such arguments have helped elect an ultranationalist government in Hungary and a Polish one that offers a Trumpian mix of xenophobia and disregard for constitutional norms. Populist, authoritarian European parties of the right or left now enjoy nearly twice as much support as they did in 2000, and are in government or in a ruling coalition in nine countries. So far, Britain’s decision to leave the European Union has been the anti-globalists’ biggest prize: the vote in June to abandon the world’s most successful free-trade club was won by cynically pandering to voters’ insular instincts, splitting mainstream parties down the middle.

20160730_FBD001_0.jpg

http://www.economist.com/news/brief...s-not-between-left-and-right-between-open-and
IS POLAND’S government right-wing or left-wing? Its leaders revere the Catholic church, vow to protect Poles from terrorism by not accepting any Muslim refugees and fulminate against “gender ideology” (by which they mean the notion that men can become women or marry other men).

Yet the ruling Law and Justice party also rails against banks and foreign-owned businesses, and wants to cut the retirement age despite a rapidly ageing population. It offers budget-busting handouts to parents who have more than one child. These will partly be paid for with a tax on big supermarkets, which it insists will somehow not raise the price of groceries.
20160730_FBC183.png
Drawbridge-up populists vary from place to place, but most share a few key traits. Besides their suspicion of trade and immigration, nearly all rail against their country’s elite, whom they invariably describe as self-serving. British people “have had enough of experts”, said Michael Gove, a leader of the Brexit campaign. Mr Trump last week said that the elite back Mrs Clinton because “they know she will keep our rigged system in place….She is their puppet, and they pull the strings.”

Distrust of elites sometimes veers into conspiracy theory. Poland’s defence minister suggests that Lech Kaczynski, a Polish president who died in a plane crash in 2010, was assassinated. Mr Trump talks of “the plain facts that have been edited out of your nightly news and morning newspaper”. Panos Kammenos, a member of Greece’s ruling coalition, wonders if Greeks are being sprayed with mind-altering chemicals from aeroplanes.

Nearly all drawbridge-up parties argue that their country is in crisis, and explain it with a simple, frightening story involving outsiders. In Poland, for example, Law and Justice accuses decadent Western liberals of seeking to undermine traditional Polish values. (A recent magazine cover spoke of “Poland against the Gay Empire”.) It also plays up the threat of Islamist terrorists, who have killed no one in Poland since the days of the Ottoman Empire—but will start again, unless the government is vigilant.

Holden

There's a leader and an article in this week's Economist, on what they think is the new political divide.
http://cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/full-width/images/print-edition/20160730_LDD001_0.jpg[IMG]
[url]http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21702750-farewell-left-versus-right-contest-matters-now-open-against-closed-new[/url]

[IMG]http://cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/full-width/images/print-edition/20160730_FBD001_0.jpg[IMG]
[url]http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21702748-new-divide-rich-countries-not-between-left-and-right-between-open-and[/url]
[IMG]http://cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/original-size/images/print-edition/20160730_FBC183.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

They also said that a person like Trump/Johnson/Farage/LePen would struggle much more in 2024, open/closed borders will be less of an issue in the future ( if young people don't suddenly change opinion... )

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Break the glass walls between the parties
Natural party of government
The House
Push the other guys into a corner (or keep them in the corner they painted themselves into)
Make the republican have to fight for the centre if they want it
Fix US politics

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

She actually wants to do stuff as President, most likely. Obviously the "optics" (ugh) are challenging...she has to convince liberals she's not some evil secret Republican...but the substance here is really good. Hillary is going to get into the office and roll up her sleeves and start working on day 1. She will need moderate Republicans to do anything.

Honestly Meg Whitman is not some archconservative. She should be calling her as well as many other moderate Republicans.

It's clear to me the DNC was even better choreographed than I thought. Obama made the overture and Hillary ignored it and went hard left in her speech. She's been working privately to bridge the gap herself and threw a bone to the liberals to get them to shut up.

This says nothing of the other potential benefits here: reducing extreme polarization, making the remaining Trump endorsers even more extreme, and like potentially fixing the country.

Maledict

I definitely agree that the traditional left / right axis of politics simply aren't functioning right now in the face of the nationalist tides rising across the west. Also agree with the economist that this is the dying splutter of older generations -in a decade this will have faded.

Which reminds me, something I've been meaning to rant about for a while. Whatever happened to Generation X? I'm classed as that (by a month or so) rather than the "Millenial" generation, and all you ever hear talked about are either the Baby Boomers still dominating political discussion and thoughts, or the rising tide of Millenials who are very different. Gen X seems to have just been skipped by everyone!

(Probably fits very well with our emo background... ;-) )

CCS

Banned
I definitely agree that the traditional left / right axis of politics simply aren't functioning right now in the face of the nationalist tides rising across the west. Also agree with the economist that this is the dying splutter of older generations -in a decade this will have faded.

Which reminds me, something I've been meaning to rant about for a while. Whatever happened to Generation X? I'm classed as that (by a month or so) rather than the "Millenial" generation, and all you ever hear talked about are either the Baby Boomers still dominating political discussion and thoughts, or the rising tide of Millenials who are very different. Gen X seems to have just been skipped by everyone!

Because most of you grew up in the 80s, and the rest of us try our best not to remember that decade :p

Diablos

I just saw Jill Stein advertising on MSNBC what

GET OUT OF HERE

anyway I cannot believe how badly Trump is continuing to fuck up. Not sure what he can do in the next critical couple of days to reverse this damage.

Cheebo

Banned
I just saw Jill Stein advertising on MSNBC what

GET OUT OF HERE

anyway I cannot believe how badly Trump is continuing to fuck up. Not sure what he can do in the next critical couple of days to reverse this damage.
More frustrating it was anti-Hillary, not anti-Trump. I mean what the hell are they doing?

CCS

Banned
Those nuclear weapons comments by Trump...

Any sanity he had is slipping away at a rate of knots

Diablos

LOOK AT ME I'M JILL STEIN WOO

What a troll. She can't win. Gotta wonder if these ads will help her. Pretty low that she left Trump out of the ad but attacked Hillary.

Yeah I'm probably too optimistic and this nationalistic movement will end with Trump's defeat - can't see anyone taking over - but if this movement continues with Trump or someone else, the basic pillars of a republic could be in danger.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Those nuclear weapons comments by Trump...

Any sanity he had is slipping away at a rate of knots

I can't even any more.

"If we have them, why can't we use them?" HE ASKED THIS 3 TIMES. Nuclear weapons, and the guy wants to use them. He's not capable to handle this job.

CCS

Banned
I can't even any more.

"If we have them, why can't we use them?" HE ASKED THIS 3 TIMES. Nuclear weapons, and the guy wants to use them. He's insane.

At this point he is definitively and without exaggeration the most dangerous man in America.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LOOK AT ME I'M JILL STEIN WOO

What a troll. She can't win. Gotta wonder if these ads will help her. Pretty low that she left Trump out of the ad but attacked Hillary.
Jill stein is an awful trash candidate. They will not help her.

This does go to show you how cheap msnbc's ad buys are tho

I guess Mika on Morning Joe has always been a liberal. But wow, she has really been in full bleeding heart liberal mode lately. She needs to tone it down.

Diablos

what were the attacks she used?
She attacked her criminal justice record saying she locks too many people up. That's when I walked in the room. I was making my coffee.

After that she promised free college and healthcare. She's stealing lots from the Bernie playbook it seems.

Mika can be as liberal as she wants. Joe runs his mouth all morning.

Diablos

Chuck Todd saying the next step is GOP asking Trump to drop out. LOL

Good luck with that!!

Still not too late for RMoney or someone else to mount a last minute independent bid. I think the deadline is Sept. something?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He managed to find a way to fuck up worse first thing in the fucking morning? This is going to be one hell of a day.

Grief.exe

Gen X is also split on voting. The younger half votes majority democrat, while the older half votes majority Republican. Makes for a less interesting narrative for the media.

Ok, apparently a lot happened today? Can someone fill me in? I'm just now sitting down to read the news.
You missed so much.. Oh man.. It was so good.

@reidepstein Reid J. Epstein
Asked @seanspicer if RNC agrees w/Trump that gen elex might be "rigged." He said: "You should seek further clarification from the campaign."

@reidepstein Reid J. Epstein
Also: It took Spicer six hours to come up with that answer

1WWGtmu.gif
I love that it took 6 hours lol

Pence meeting with McCain privately seems like significant damage control. Given the rumors that Clinton personally reached out to Whitman and McCain is friendly with her I'm sure he has been approached and really think there is a likely chance he flips in a dramatic fashion.
That would be amazing.

I'm in NoFap, please stop, you are making it impossible.
I think you could get away with it this time.

I can't even any more.

"If we have them, why can't we use them?" HE ASKED THIS 3 TIMES. Nuclear weapons, and the guy wants to use them. He's not capable to handle this job.
And you doubted him last night thinking he couldn't top yesterday.. :)

Teggy

Just saw the Morning Joe thing - don't know how this will get any play unless there is better sourcing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom