• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Fox News: Some Dems turn on Hillary, tell her to move on.

They must read GAF.

Also, why talk about Hillary? She's not even an issue for the GOP anymore.

They must read GAF.

You didn't hear? Obama and Hillary are using the deep state and the MSM to impeach Trump and the entire GOP so they can come back into power and rule forever until the rapture.

I wish I were kidding.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

They must read GAF.

They'll be attacking Hillary for decades to come.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Scathing article about the democratic party with comments from Michigan democrats:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/col...ke-duggan-detroit-democratic-party/362434001/

MACKINAC ISLAND — Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan offered a stinging rebuke to the Democratic Party on Thursday, warning that its disarray could give rise to a third national political party and that he was "so frustrated with the Hillary Clinton campaign, I could have screamed."

"They never articulated a vision for why there would be more opportunity for people willing to work hard and get new schools," he said. "Detroit is a lot of blue-collar folks, and they never could articulate why (people should choose them).

"'He's terrible. Vote against him,' Duggan said, citing the party's mantra against Donald Trump. "They left themselves vulnerable and look what happened.

"I don't see the Democratic Party solving that right now. Some of the things the president is doing are so damaging, (but the party) seems perfectly happy to attack him. If the Democratic Party doesn't come up with a set of principles and policies that create opportunity for people who haven't had it, I think a third party is going to emerge."

Way more at the link. Well worth the read. I don't necessarily agree a third party will emerge, but I do think if they don't get their act together people just won't vote.

tbm24

They must read GAF.

From what I gather, the media, and people on the left alike, feel Hillary having lost the election should fall off the face of the earth, and if she does not and speaks candidly about her experience, if she doesn't say all my fault and I suck as a human/candidate then EXCUSES!!!11!!

Scathing article about the democratic party with comments from Michigan democrats:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/col...ke-duggan-detroit-democratic-party/362434001/

Way more at the link. Well worth the read. I don't necessarily agree a third party will emerge, but I do think if they don't get their act together people just won't vote.

All the donations liberals and progressives have been getting needs to spread far and wide for local and state races to create young and diverse benches across the 50 states.

Clearly these people are looking for local and state candidates to look up to and aren't finding anyone. If Dems just at least started investments everywhere (doesn't even have to be BIG for everyone at the start like Ossof got) then people like in the article would naturally gravitate to them.

tbm24

I can get behind this. "I've said my piece, let's talk about [whatever the event is about] now."

I just think that's unrealistic and in a lot of ways unfair. The election was clearly grueling and one of the most significant periods of her life. Denying her the right to talk about it isn't fair. I don't see why any of it matters, she's not running for anything and is speaking as herself. No one should be putting any stock into it besides their own curiosity of her experience.

Grym

so I just turned on the tv for a moment and see all this stuff about the potential to invoke executive privilege to block Comey testimony. My mouth dropped open thinking about what a completely indefensible and ludicrous step that would be to take. So....he's gonna do it, isn't he?

Pixieking

Banned
NBC Nightly News‏Verified account @NBCNightlyNews

BREAKING: CA, NY and WA governors reject Pres. Trump's decision; will convene alliance of US states that want to uphold climate agreement

Um... That bolded part is pretty far-reaching, isn't it? I mean, it's not generally the "done thing" for states to form an alliance, right?

From what I gather, the media, and people on the left alike, feel Hillary having lost the election should fall off the face of the earth, and if she does not and speaks candidly about her experience, if she doesn't say all my fault and I suck as a human/candidate then EXCUSES!!!11!!

I wonder how much of this is embarrassment that she lost? Both embarrassment for their part in it, and embarrassment on behalf of her.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Um... That bolded part is pretty far-reaching, isn't it? I mean, it's not generally the "done thing" for states to form an alliance, right?

Sounds like a Republican's dream.

I look forward to whatever contrived objection to it they come up with.

I just think that's unrealistic and in a lot of ways unfair. The election was clearly grueling and one of the most significant periods of her life. Denying her the right to talk about it isn't fair. I don't see why any of it matters, she's not running for anything and is speaking as herself. No one should be putting any stock into it besides their own curiosity of her experience.
I agree that it's massively unfair. It also seems to be necessary. Literally anything she says about the election that in any way implies that she's not wholly responsible gets picked up, twisted, and broadcasted, overriding whatever else she wanted to say.

"People treat Hillary Clinton entirety ubfairly" is the story of her entire political career, and that's a goddamn shame, but it's the framework we live in right now. Until the media actually does some basic ass soul searching that's unlikely to change. So it's time for her to just refuse to speak on the subject. Everything she's said has been right,
and it's not like refusing to elaborate is the same as a retraction.

It's explicitly forbidden in the Constitution but the SC ruled that it can be done if it doesn't take usurp federal power. These states could just agree to follow the agreement without needing to negotiate a foreign deal.

benjipwns

Banned
some dudes got mad then deleted their tweets
imrs.php

DBNbCZqXsAA9NKr.jpg

And her book tour needs some retooling:
But according to sources close to Clinton’s inner circle, she’s yet again failing in her quest to win over motivated Democrats. POLITICO reports that her top aides are getting frustrated that they simply can’t force progressives to adopt Clinton as their leader.

Reportedly, Clinton had planned to lay low through the winter, studying her campaign postmortems in order to re-emerge on the political scene with a strong message in the spring. They apparently expected her to be warmly received, and cast into the role of a “central resistance figure.”

ACHA probably not passing senate this year

”It's unlikely that we will get a health care deal, which means that most of my time has been spent trying to figure out solutions to Iowa losing all of its insurers," he told WXII 12 News, describing the bill passed in the House last month as ”not a good plan" and ”dead on arrival" in the Senate.

”I don't see a comprehensive health care plan this year," Burr said.

Also fat chance they pass this in an election year, so yea...

I don't think they've even done any serious writing of this bill at all.

Ogodei

She continues to have a perception problem. She didn't fight valiantly and lose to some terrible evil, she was Casey at the Bat up against an underhand pitcher (even if the pitcher was getting Russian grease for the baseball) and the fans in the stands are chucking beer cans on the field for good reason.

Blader

I understand that "don't vote for the other guy" isn't a winning GOTV strategy. But I also don't understand why not! If you're not a Trump voter, why doesn't "vote for the other major candidate because Trump is fucking crazy" but a stirring enough message to get you off your ass?

Why not? Democrats did in 2010. The GOP might also want to hedge their bets on picking up some more seats in the Senate in the midterms, so that they can have another go in 2019 and get a House-friendly bill passed with enough of a cushion in their majority that losing Portman, Collins, Murkowski, et al. wouldn't kill the deal.

In any event, I think we should stop saying with any confidence that no health care bill is going to happen. Especially when the last time we were gloating about it, the House passed a fucking health care bill.

Pixieking

Banned
Well, formal compacts are unconstitutional without Congressional approval, but there is nothing they can do to stop states from informal alliances. Another example is the push to subvert the electoral college

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

It's explicitly forbidden in the Constitution but the SC ruled that it can be done if it doesn't take usurp federal power. These states could just agree to follow the agreement without needing to negotiate a foreign deal.

Huh, learn something new everyday. :D

an alliance of states?...hmmm...by definition would that not be a Confederation?

Literally said the same thing to my wife when I first read that tweet. :D

sangreal

that would basically kill Trump's entire legislative agenda so we'll see

Like I mentioned before, the whole bit about them taxing employer sponsored healthcare means they just want to kill the AHCA outright. No one is fucking touching healthcare in 2018.

taxing employer-sponsored healthcare benefits is straight out of Paul Ryan's better way plan, but even he was smart enough not to try to pass it in the AHCA

It should be taxed though. Makes no sense to treat it differently. You also end up with dumb situations like mine, where my employer-sponsored coverage is tax free, but the same coverage I receive for my girlfriend is not deductible (AND carries additional imputed income taxes)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I understand that "don't vote for the other guy" isn't a winning GOTV strategy. But I also don't understand why not! If you're not a Trump voter, why doesn't "vote for the other major candidate because Trump is fucking crazy" but a stirring enough message to get you off your ass?

It was for plenty of people. For others, it wasn't.

It would be a better strategy if his opponent wasn't the person most maligned by the conservative media in history.

It will work better in 2020, when anyone other than Trump's hopeless base will have seen that he's every bit the idiot they feared he might be, even if they gave him the benefit of the doubt in 2016.

It shouldn't be the core of the Democrats' message, because they still need to tell the people what they're going to do better. But completely ignoring the enormous orange elephant in the room isn't the right play either. "Fuck Trump" is a rallying cry for the left right now.

Actual Study:

http://www.healthycaliforniaact.org/wp-content/uploads/Pollin-Economic-Analysis-SB-562.pdf

TLDR:

http://www.healthycaliforniaact.org...t-state-spending-on-healthcare-by-18-percent/

Under the Healthy California Act, California’s total spending on health care, with savings of 18 percent produced by reductions in administrative costs, the use of state bulk purchasing power, and improved patient care delivery, would drop to $331 billion. But that figure includes $225 billion of current taxpayer funded spending on Medicare, Medicaid, tax subsidies paid to insurers for health expenses of families and households.

With the savings produced by a single payer financing system, and the transfer of the 71 percent of taxpayer funded spending currently by Medicare, Medicaid and taxpayer subsidies to insurers for partial payment private insurance costs for families and households, an additional $106 billion will be needed –

The study proposes achieving that added revenue through two modest taxes, a 2.3 percent on gross business revenue receipts – exempting the first $2 million in receipts to eliminate the cost for small businesses – and a new 2.3 percent sales tax that would exempt all spending on housing, utilities, services, and food at home, to mitigate the impact for low and moderate income Californians. The lowest income Californians would receive a tax credit, fully offsetting their tax share.

uhhh is this gonna gain traction?

Pixieking

Banned

People are selfish, maybe? "Tell me what you can do for me!" rather than "Tell me how morally repugnant your opponent is."

I will continue to argue that, whilst Hillary should've focused more on a positive message in the last month/6 weeks of the campaign, she absolutely thought the US electorate cared more for the moral good of a person's character than they actually did. 60+ million people voted for a spousal rapist and sexual assaulting idiot.

What agenda?

Good point.

Now we see what happens when you structure a legislative agenda like a row of dominoes. You need to address healthcare before you can handle tax reform, but if the first domino won't fall or falls in the wrong direction, nothing gets accomplished.

Everything already feels borderline paralyzed. If Ossoff wins, we might see total immobility of the legislature except housekeeping business.

benjipwns

Banned
When West Virginia seceded, the original constitution called for not allowing any black people, slave or free, within her borders
Indeed many northern states had these provisions. Indiana, Illinois, etc.

Ok so how do we kick Joe Manchin out of the Democratic Party exactly? It's not like Chuck Schumer has the ability to just take away any democratic senator's D-membership.

The only people who get to decide who represents West Virginia's Senate Seat as a democrat are the democratic voters of west Virginia. And unfortunately most of them are just racist piece of shit Dixiecrats who LOVE Trump's racism.
He can be kicked out of the caucus, stripped of his seniority, etc. You know, all the things they didn't do to Joe Lieberman.

sangreal

What agenda?

Trump's agenda is stalled, sure, but that would be admitting its completely dead. Even putting aside the inability to pay for anything without the AHCA medicare cuts, moving on to anything else will mean a new budget resolution and that would kill reconciliation for the current AHCA, making them vote on it again. Of course, there is no way in hell the House will vote on the AHCA in 2018. The Senate could probably get away with it given the map

McConnell knows taking ownership of healthcare would cost him the Senate and that's his chief concern.

Right. And someone in OT made a good point regarding the legislative filibuster. Nuking it would obliterate the moderation of the Senate, allowing the far-right loonies to obtain more power. McConnell might lose control of his caucus and the Senate in general.

Good point.

Now we see what happens when you structure a legislative agenda like a row of dominoes. You need to address healthcare before you can handle tax reform, but if the first domino won't fall or falls in the wrong direction, nothing gets accomplished.

Everything already feels borderline paralyzed. If Ossoff wins, we might see total immobility of the legislature except housekeeping business.

It's 100% certain if Ossoff wins but the fact that its so close in a section of GA that swung +20 last election is so telling anyway. Anyone can see it and the GOP must know what this means for swing states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom