• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

Dark FaZe said:
smh

So very Christian like.

Jesus%20Sad_jpg-crop.jpg

Thomper

There's some good behind-the-scenes reports from The Daily Show live broadcast last night - great to read.

http://www.mlive.com/us-politics/index.ssf/2008/11/can_the_daily_show_survive_bar.html

Of that moment, Larry Wilmore, who serves as the Daily Show’s “senior black correspondent,”” said this: “”When Jon finally said, ‘’President Barack Obama,’’ I was a little taken aback. It was like I wasn’t a correspondent then. It was surreal.””

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jwVfAOIN1AMkfENTSrmdmy9qk40QD948NIJ00
“I’ve never had this feeling before, which is: Things went well on Election Night,” said Colbert, whose political views are not his character’s. “I’m a little stunned. I don’t know what to do with my happiness. I’m still afraid someone’s going to take it away.”
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/live-blogging-covering-the-coverage/?src=scrl#t23h55m
Stephen Colbert said he extended a riff until the election was called. “I had a TV set on the desk,” Mr. Colbert said. “I could see what was happening so I thought, ‘I’ll just vamp until 11 o’clock.’ The Hawaiian speech I was doing was supposed to go on for another three minutes. We knew that if we could stretch the show till 11 o’clock, Jon would have a chance to be able to say that Barack Obama is the president; he was looking at the screen just waiting for CNN to call it.”

comedy-central.jpg

Tobor said:
On the plus side, Tina Fey gets to stay on Earth.

what if they pulled a Parent Trap switch on us? Tiny Fey actually went back to Alaska, Sarah Palin is on SNL. As a result, "Tiny Fey" becomes a sensational American comedian.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Brannon said:
I see the black statistic for voting, and am not surprised. McCain/Palin pretty much demonized the black demographic. How could it ever go any other way?
Blacks vote 90% democrat anyway so it's not that big of a deal IMO. A bigger deal should be made if there is a huge increase in turnout tho.

Blueblur1

Seeing the coverage of the election by other parts of the world is so amazing. So many people outside our awesome nation is supportive of Obama. Its so fuckin' beautiful. This is an awesome week so far.

Duke Togo

What a beautiful day to wake up to. It feels like an 8 year hangover is finally starting to go away. And I'm not even American! Well done guys!

jmdajr

Blueblur1 said:
Seeing the coverage of the election by other parts of the world is so amazing. So many people outside are awesome nation is supportive of Obama. Its so fuckin' beautiful. This is an awesome week so far.

Its funny how the whole world support obama... except for almost half the u.s.

what does that say.... um

Barrett2

NewLib said:
But those same statistics disprove your point. Poor people voted overwhelmingly for Obama. It was the MIDDLE CLASS that seemed to favor McCain.

But you have to also consider that low income minorities vote overwhelmingly Democrat as a constant, which skews the numbers.

My main point is that Republicans in general put forth a false argument that upper middle class people & educated people in general favor the GOP brand, which is false.

Anyways, I need more sleep. I am going on 4 hours of sleep, am trying to type notes during class lecture, read GAF and look up elections numbers simultaneously. Im' basically Tweek from South Park right now. Too much information, not enough rest. :lol

Teh Hamburglar said:
what if they pulled a Parent Trap switch on us? Tiny Fey actually went back to Alaska, Sarah Palin is on SNL. As a result, "Tiny Fey" becomes a sensational American comedian.

....and Tina Fey is left to elect a replacement for Stevens? Let's do it.

I can't believe Elizabeth Hasselbeck is riding Obama's dick so bad today. I've been hearing from a lot of anti-Obama friends and coworkers today about how he's not so bad and they hope he will do well.

The country seems to be really getting behind him. I am SO FUCKING PROUD of America right now.

GitarooMan said:
Well he's also got that anti first amendment streak, which is not very liberal.

That's a sticky concept. The conservatives that don't have the "neo-" in front of their beliefs tend to support that amendment quite staunchly. It's about the government not getting involved in our lives.

Funny that the liberal democrats are the ones carrying that banner anyway, though.

ezekial45

Banned

TomServo

Synth_floyd said:
I was hoping the LP would get more support after the Ron Paul movement but unfortunately it seems like they got the usual ~0.5%.

Ron Paul's supporters didn't run to the LP. Look into the Campaign for Liberty. Grassroots effort to take back the Republican party from the neocons by kneecapping them at a local level, then on to state, and finally putting real conservatives (again, not neocons) into national office.

At a local level it's getting traction. In my county we had some long-standing members of the RP taken out by CFL-backed candidates in the Republican primaries. That's where the battle has to be fought - the CFL-backed folks who didn't win their primaries and ran as independents didn't fare well. We're still a two-party country.

sciplore

Dropping my sister off to school this morning we passed Gary Siplin on the corner of Pinehills and Silver Star rd waving and thanking everyone for his win. Its nice to see when politicians go out and thank the voters.:D

Also across the street from him was an lady holding up a Obama/Biden sign.:lol

Nameless

Every time the thought pops into my head that Obama now holds my fate to a large extent in his hands instead of Bush, it makes me smile. It funny, because part of me still doesn't really SEE Bush as a President. Apart of my brain has always refused to fucking accept it. Just listen to him and listen to Obama. Its mind blowing.

besada

Banned
krypt0nian said:
I love how they predict that the rapture is coming now that Obama the Muslim was elected. :lol

I AM A GOD WARRIOR!

I, for one, wouldn't mind if all the fundamentalist Christians suddenly vanished.

TDG said:
Yeah, that reminds me of McCain's speech last night, when people started booing Obama. McCain was looking a bit embarassed, and I was glad. His own goddamn campaign supported that shitty attitude, and I am glad that he had to stand up there looking like a clueless moron as his supporters did exactly what his campaign encouraged them to do.

The poor man was watching national opinion of him drain away into the shitter during that moment. The clean campaign guy, the republican admired my democrats, all shat away by a campaign run on fuel mixed in with just a little too much hate.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
artredis1980 said:
Florida: RCP nailed it!
NC: RCP underrepresented Obama
MO: RCP nailed it!
IN: RCP underrepresented Obama
GA: RCP underrepresented McCain
AZ: RCP underrepresented McCain
VA: RCP had it wrong, it came down to 0.3 points not +4.4 Obama
OH: RCP had it wrong again, Obama had a bigger victory than polls
CO: RCP nailed it
NV: RCP nailed it
PA: Obama destroyed the polls, he was up 15 points, not 6 points than polls suggested
NM: RCP nailed it

Obama won VA by 4% I thought.

Cheebs

Has anyone figured out why while Obama won a huge landslide victory that the senate/house wins were rather under expectations? It's a bit odd.

Cyan

Banned
TDG said:
Yeah, that reminds me of McCain's speech last night, when people started booing Obama. McCain was looking a bit embarassed, and I was glad. His own goddamn campaign supported that shitty attitude, and I am glad that he had to stand up there looking like a clueless moron as his supporters did exactly what his campaign encouraged them to do.
Indeed. He was just reaping what he sowed.

Dirtbag

OMG.... I cannot believe New Orleans put Bill "Refrigerator" Jefferson into a run-off.
My city officially makes me sick to my stomach.

New Orleans is officially hopeless.

For anyone who doesn't know who Bill Jefferson is, JUST READ THIS SHIT.

16 counts of corruption - currently under investigation.
$400,000 in bribes also under investiagion (some from forgein gov't).

New Orleans - dumbest city EVER!

Future

jmdajr said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/JohnnyDA/exitpolls.jpg]

I never understood the praise for small towns (and belittling of big towns in the process) by republicans in this election. It just makes no sense strategy wise when the majority of voters that will decide elections are in the big towns.

And while people with higher incomes and better education started to be more balance in opinions, all this really shows is the difference in age. The younger you are, the poorer you are and the less education you have. And Obama captured the youth vote in spades, while still getting a large percent of upper middle class. Good shit

Cheebs said:
Has anyone figured out why while Obama won a huge landslide victory that the senate/house wins were rather under expectations? It's a bit odd.

eh? Seems like the Senate is turning out to be what most expected. Talk of 60 seats was always silly and sensationalist...and they are still almost going to hit that.

izakq

I saw that Santorum pic, and then I read this:

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/11/04/election-2008-widget/

Update Former Republican senator Rick Santorum has had his right to vote challenged in Pennsylvania, "and election officials will not count his absentee ballot (or that of his wife) until the matter is resolved, Allegheny County Elections Department director Mark Wolosik confirmed. Erin Vecchio, chairman of the Penn Hills School Board and chair of the Penn Hills Democratic Party, says she challenged the Santorums' right to vote in Pennsylvania this morning because they really live in Virginia."

OMG :lol :lol :lol

Evlar

Banned
Cheebs said:
The Senate/House victories are pretty gigantic historically. It's a complete re-alignment even without the filibuster proof majority. It only looks underwhelming from a post-Bush point of view.

robochimp

Cheebs said:

Most senate predictions that I saw were saying 57 was the realistic number. And with how close the Coleman Franken race was that was almost dead on. Oregon is currently too close to call

Cheebs said:

It's tough when, on a local level, people feel like they know their representatives. It transcends national politics quite often, and honestly, it's probably a good thing. Mandates aren't healthy.

I do think that most neo-conservatives should kindly kill themselves, if they so choose.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
smh

So very Christian like.

You Americans have really messed up Christians. I don't know a single Christian in Canada that is adamant about owning guns. Only my father and uncle own guns, but they're used for deer hunting and target shooting. Guns here are not associated to a religion.

Cheebs

No no no I realize they are good, great even. But like every poll showed places like Alaska and Oregon (especially Oregon wtf happened there?) were going to be easy wins. Stevens was down by over 10% this week and the Republican in Oregon had been in free fall for weeks. Minnesota being this tight or losing Georgia and the Kentucky seat...etc didn't surprise me. And I get Alaska is full of corrupt freaks....

But losing Oregon after the great polls there since the financial crisis is a bit hard to grasp. That was a big shock to me, more shocking than Obama winning Indiana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom