• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Older GAF gamers? (40+ only)

Older GAF -- how old are you anyway? (40+ only)

• 40 to 44

Votes: 198 51.3%
  • 45 to 49

Votes: 103 26.7%
  • 50 to 54

Votes: 36 9.3%
  • 55 to 59

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • 60 to 64

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • 65 to 69

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 70 to 74

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 75 to 79

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 80 to 89

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Above 90

Votes: 28 7.3%

• Total voters

Humdinger

37 in their 50's now, and two other people in their 60s. One in late 70s, he/she must be oldest.

18 90-year olds, yeah, lol.

Last edited:

tygertrip

I'm 42, all I really can't play anymore is competative games like PUBG, CS, Fortnite etc. couse my reflexes aren't as good anymore. I refuse to get killed by 12 year olds...
People we where there when Counter Strike was a Half Life 1 mod!
My kids and I got Quake 3 running, and my 14 year old was kicking my ass... the first night. The second night my rust shook off, and my routes started coming back to me. After that, I was blowing him out, 10 to 1, easy. He quit talking shit, LOL.

Last edited:
37 in their 50's now, and two other people in their 60s. One in late 70s, he/she must be oldest.

18 90-year olds, yeah, lol.
Are you counting all the people or "neo-members" who cant vote in the poll? Since you update us on the numbers frequently its just something to consider.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
78 here..
Any 20 ish gamer girls on gaf?

Back in my days having a stick used to be fun.

These days you need a subscription to use the stick and a seasonpass to hold it. If you want it to look different you need to buy some skins. And be sure to rebuy all of this when you want another stick

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

My kids and I got Quake 3 running, and my 14 year old was kicking my ass... the first night. The second night my rust shook off, and my routes started coming back to me. After that, I was blowing him out, 10 to 1, easy. He quit talking shit, LOL.
People say about reactions going but you have guys who must be well into their 50s playing old skool, twitchy as fuck stuff like Defender, racking up world beating scores.
More recently, Daigo must be on the precipice of 40 and his reactions are still god like in SF.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I knew I was getting old when a games journalist said their first game was Zelda OoT.
The N64 was their first console.

Krathoon

People say about reactions going but you have guys who must be well into their 50s playing old skool, twitchy as fuck stuff like Defender, racking up world beating scores.
More recently, Daigo must be on the precipice of 40 and his reactions are still god like in SF.
They still maintain Quake 3. I think it is called Quake Live or something. It is on Steam.

Majormaxxx

Mine? Well, Horizon Zero Dawn and Elder Scrolls Morrowind would be two big favorites.

In general, RPGs and action-adventure games. More RPG titles would be Fallout 3 (but not 4), Dragon Age, and Mass Effect.

As for action games, stuff like Uncharted, Last of Us, Days Gone, Spider-Man, Ratchet and Clank, Far Cry, etc.

I'm not so big on racers or shooters. All singleplayer.
I have the same taste, except also with racers (gran turismo, forza etc), some sp shooters and old school flight Sims.

pramod

Banned
Does anybody remember a Sega game in the arcades decades ago which had holograms. Never understood how to play it!
Time Traveller? I still have my Xbox copy.

Btw its kinda crazy that theres people here old enough to have played the very first games ever made, ie Computer Space, Hunt the Wumpus, etc.

Humdinger

Btw its kinda crazy that theres people here old enough to have played the very first games ever made, ie Computer Space, Hunt the Wumpus, etc.

Arcades were big for a while, back then. I played a lot of Defender in college, stoned with my one-eyed friend, John. Before that, I played a few primitive games on console -- probably an Atari.

Last edited:
I am pleased I was around at the dawn of the home computer revolution. Can still remember going into my local WH Smith and seeing so many different brands with their own OS, Sinclair, Oric, Dragon, Texas Instruments, BBC, Commodore etc., what a time.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Dark_Sun_-_Wake_of_the_Ravager_Coverart.png

One of my favourites. Saw some great games mentioned in this thread.

Kuranghi

I reserve this post so I can come back in 4 years and 4 months and edit it.

Important games-adjacent question for the 40+ gamers here: Do you find yourself getting more or less horny as you age? I'm nearly 36 and it just seems like theres no upper limit on it.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
I reserve this post so I can come back in 4 years and 4 months and edit it.

Important games-adjacent question for the 40+ gamers here: Do you find yourself getting more or less horny as you age? I'm nearly 36 and it just seems like theres no upper limit on it.
50 was like the top of the hill for me. Now i only jerk off maybe once every three days or so.

Krathoon

I found out that Um Jammer Lammy is broken in Ducktation if you use hardware settings. You have to set the renderer to software for it to work.

In Retroarch, you have to use Beetle and not Beetle HW for it to work right.

I find that kind of interesting. They still have not perfected the HW renderer.

TheGecko

Banned
I found out that Um Jammer Lammy is broken in Ducktation if you use hardware settings. You have to set the renderer to software for it to work.

In Retroarch, you have to use Beetle and not Beetle HW for it to work right.

I find that kind of interesting. They still have not perfected the HW renderer.
Yup, emulation is shit compared to real hardware.

Roll cage stage II and gran turismo are more examples, no matter what settings you use the steering is messed up.

Most the younger divvies will argue the point with you but they have never played on original hardware.

Krathoon

Yup, emulation is shit compared to real hardware.

Roll cage stage II and gran turismo are more examples, no matter what settings you use the steering is messed up.

Most the younger divvies will argue the point with you but they have never played on original hardware.
It seems like the software renderer works better than the hardware. I also had this demo disc that did not work. It surprised me because the hardware renderer was working fine on other games.
Really, the computer is fast enough to run either one.

Duchess

First game I ever finished:

At the time, I wanted a C64, but the Plus 4 was cheaper, so my dad got me that. A few years later we got the C64, as I did well at school :)

Krathoon

Oh yeah. Games did really rocket into 3D graphics pretty quick. Even the 3D graphics libraries sprouted up quickly.

Krathoon

I wonder who really originated 3D graphics. It had to have started somewhere. Maybe the film industry?
Tron and The Last Starfighter?

Top Bottom