• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Sanders nearly tied with Clinton nationwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

I can't believe the country is about to fall for another 'Hope and Change' candidate.

You don't think the Obama Presidency changed anything?

Long article, but worth skimming.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/obama-biggest-achievements-213487

Even if you didn't agree with the Adminstration's policies, he "changed" a lot.

Why are people scoffing at Quinnipiac? It's one of the better rated pollsters on 538's rankings.

Unfamiliarity I'm guessing. Quinnipiac has been in the polling game for a long time.

Hazmat

Yeah but why not do that behind closed doors and have a unified public appearance. There's always infighting within parties but from my perspective they always try to sweep it under the rug, having it so out in the open is weird.

Because you want to nominate someone who can resonate with the voters, and the only way to test that is to have them run a campaign. I know it works differently in places with a parliamentary government, but plenty of voters here largely vote for a person, not a party.

sphagnum

Banned
Yeah but why not do that behind closed doors and have a unified public appearance. There's always infighting within parties but from my perspective they always try to sweep it under the rug, having it so out in the open is weird.

Parties are not in the US constitution. They formed after the presidential selection system was in place for a few elections, due to factions of politicians coalescing around particular policies.

To have party bosses decide the candidates themselves would be seen as incredibly undemocratic. It's already not a hugely democratic process as it is due to the electoral college and extremely lax campaign finance laws. This would let entrenched powers be able to pick and choose their representatives with even less input from the people.

Guevara

I'm actually starting to believe Democrats are going to find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

SamVimes

Why is everyone shitting on quinnipiac now? They have a b+ on 538 and they were more accurate than most other pollsters on the Iowa caucus.

What's funny is that most of the posts are from known Hillary supporters on this board, who (rightfully) scoff at other people when they dismiss polls that say she's winning.

Parties are not in the US constitution. They formed after the presidential selection system was in place for a few elections, due to factions of politicians coalescing around particular policies.

To have party bosses decide the candidates themselves would be seen as incredibly undemocratic. It's already not a hugely democratic process as it is due to the electoral college and extremely lax campaign finance laws. This would let entrenched powers be able to pick and choose their representatives with even less input from the people.

that sounds backwards when the candidate might barely matter because of the parties.

Because you want to nominate someone who can resonate with the voters, and the only way to test that is to have them run a campaign. I know it works differently in places with a parliamentary government, but plenty of voters here largely vote for a person, not a party.

but they can't seriously be nominating trump

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I simply find it unlikely this one random poll that shows Sanders gaining like 30 points for no actual reason is accurate.

Futurematic

Why is everyone shitting on quinnipiac now? They have a b+ on 538 and they were more accurate than most other pollsters on the Iowa caucus.

Because two other polls released today don't match and Q didn't release internals so we don't know what the PoC breakdown is (to get this big a shift Sanders would likely have to make in roads with them but the standard wisdom is that Clinton has those demographics locked down).

Historically Clinton losing 20+ points nationally is what usually happens when a front runner loses Iowa or New Hampshire on the Democratic side, but she (however narrowly) won it. So simply not enough data, really, but the gut feeling would be that they're wrong.

ivysaur12

Banned

What's funny is that most of the posts are from known Hillary supporters on this board, who (rightfully) scoff at other people when they dismiss polls that say she's winning.

Because it's an outlier from every other poll, because they fucked up in 2014 hard, because they have had Hillary's worst numbers this cycle by a country mile, they had Bernie winning Iowa (which is fine, but makes me think their screen isn't working to reflect reality).

If other polls show this, sure. But Q Pac has been an outlier this entire cycle. So.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

Welcome to GAF. Hillary is to GAF as Bernie is to Reddit

SamVimes

Because two other polls released today don't match and Q didn't release internals so we don't know what the PoC breakdown is (to get this big a shift Sanders would likely have to make in roads with them but the standard wisdom is that Clinton has those demographics locked down).

Historically Clinton losing 20+ points nationally is what usually happens when a front runner loses Iowa or New Hampshire on the Democratic side, but she (however narrowly) won it. So simply not enough data, really, but the gut feeling would be that they're wrong.
You can say that you believe this poll is an outlier and that the margin of error probably favored Sanders. I think so too. That doesn't maker qpac suddenly complete garbage.
Because it's an outlier from every other poll, because they fucked up in 2014 hard, because they have had Hillary's worst numbers this cycle by a country mile, they had Bernie winning Iowa (which is fine, but makes me think their screen isn't working to reflect reality).

If other polls show this, sure. But Q Pac has been an outlier this entire cycle. So.

Bernie winning Iowa by like 1 point is still more accurate than other pollsters giving Clinton 3-4 points in favor.

ivysaur12

Banned
You can say that you believe this poll is an outlier and that the margin of error probably favored Sanders. I think so too.

Bernie winning Iowa by like 1 point is still more accurate than other pollsters giving Clinton 3-4 points in favor.
They had Bernie winning Iowa by 3 in their last poll. And, their biggest issue seems to be under sampling people of color, which isn't quite a problem in Iowa. Still, they missed the mark on Iowa, and have been an outlier from work this entire cycle.

This reminds me of Republicans believing in their hearts that Rasmussen was right until the end in 2012.

Pastry

Banned
People dont think in numbers or in absolutes. Winning by 0.2% was a defeat for Clinton.

People don't or you don't?

Because the concensus was and is that he lost Iowa. Why would a Bernie "win" result in Hillary gaining some ground in NH post Iowa?

Cagey

Banned
Maybe the Hillary supporters are more outspoken here? Just my perception, I am open to being wrong.
There's more folks here who spend their time unnecessarily criticizing posters who support Bernie Sanders for various nonsensical strawman reasons which might skew your perception.

Otherwise there's likely a slant towards Sanders over Clinton, which makes sense given the demographics (age, race, education, and political alignment) represented here. There seems to be more random one off posters who appear to write about supporting Sanders than there are who do for Clinton.

NeoXChaos

They had Bernie winning Iowa by 3 in their last poll. And, their biggest issue seems to be under sampling people of color, which isn't quite a problem in Iowa. Still, they missed the mark on Iowa, and have been an outlier from work this entire cycle.

This reminds me of Republicans believing in their hearts that Rasmussen was right until the end in 2012.

what happened to them anyway?

You can say that you believe this poll is an outlier and that the margin of error probably favored Sanders. I think so too. That doesn't maker qpac suddenly complete garbage.

Except it wasn't 1. It was 5, 4, and 3 in their last three polls.

People saying I'm gonna wait for more polls to see if this is an outlier don't need to wait. We have numerous polls around this period that don't even show a TREND towards Sanders let alone an erasing of a 20 point lead.

Krowley

And Al Gore is president and Norm Coleman is a Senator.

Perception is reality, and the media spin has been pretty favorable for Bernie since Iowa. I suspect that most voters see it as a tie.

Personally I agree that this poll is too drastic to be trusted for now, but I'm not as skeptical as some. Quinnipiac was solid in Iowa.

MIMIC

Banned
I hope this goes just like in 2008: an unknown rising from obscurity to derail the Clinton train and take the presidency.

Cagey

Banned
By like, less than one percent though. He got 20 delegates and hillary got 22 right? For all practical purposes its essentially a tie
It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning.
CAu15XCWcAAjQw_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom