• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Remedy Interview - Why Alan Wake's creators want to make you the storyteller

This article is a great read.

Christmas at Remedy Entertainment these days is almost as much about people getting to know each other as it is about celebrating the holidays.

The company is up to 140 employees now, with 30 coming on in the past four months alone.

I hopped on Skype with Thomas Puha, head of communication for Remedy, and Remedy game director Mikael Kasurinen one morning, an evening in Espoo, Finland, just as their Christmas party was wrapping up.

It was the last company-wide meeting for the year and everyone got Christmas presents.

The Story of Crossfire 2

Remedy isn’t just creating a new sort of game with P7, the company also took on the challenge of injecting story into a follow-up to China’s free-to-play, first-person shooter CrossFire, one of the top grossing online games in the world.

Sam Lake told us that CrossFire developer Smilegate approached Remedy and asked them to create a story mode for the upcoming CrossFire 2. The story, he says, is meant to “serve as an introduction into their universe, and to deepen the fiction and lore behind it.

“It felt like an exciting opportunity.”

Lake says that Remedy has quite a lot of first-person game fans at the studio and that they were excited to take on the project.

“Apart for being a first-person shooter, the story mode will be very much a Remedy game when it comes to cinematic action, high-stake plot and drama, and a cast of strong characters.”

Project 7

There’s very little Kasurinen is willing to tell me about the game. I know, because I never fail to ask when I speak with Remedy developers, that it is not Alan Wake 2. I also know that while the game is the developer’s first big push into multiplayer gaming, it isn’t what most would think of when they think multiplayer: competitive. This new game, P7, is meant to be a cooperative game in an open world that will provide players the space to create and, I suppose, tell their own stories, if only to an audience of one.

I also know that this game will be the sum of the parts and discoveries made while experimenting in game creation with Alan Wake and Quantum Break. But, of course, it needs to succeed in the places those games didn’t.
“With the new project, it is important to find a more fluid, more organic way to tell stories without losing the interesting characters, surprising plot and so on and at the same time move the game play in a direction where it becomes more meaningful,” Kasurinen tells me. “This is the key reason we want to find a more streamlined way of telling stories.”

In previous games, the team seemed to always find itself focusing on the core path a player took through these robust worlds Remedy was making. They focused so much on that narrow line drawn through the experience, that often the game and its world shrank around that narrative.

There's a lot lot more at the link below.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/12/28/14101058/remedy-new-game-p7

Project 7 sounds really intriguing and I'm interested in what Remedy can bring to the online table. We ain't getting an Alan Wake 2 or Quantum Break 2 anytime soon though :(

Drop me through time and shine a light on me if old.

TM94

Kinda sucks imo Remedy are going the multiplayer route, but hey that's where the money is I guess, so gotta do what you gotta do.

Also I fucking love Alan Wake.

Always interested to see what Remedy will do next. I think experimenting outside their niche can only be a good thing for them in the long run.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Alan Wake is amazing, Quantum Break, not so much.

I was fully on board the QB hype train so I'm wary now with a remedy going forward.

hawk2025

I don't know, man.

I can't fall on the Remedy storytelling train again after the failure that Quantum Break was on that front.

man...

i just want remedy to once again do a shooter as solid as max payne 1 or 2.

Quantum Break.... simply wasn't it. It was close, but not quite there. (also all the live action crap was exactly that.)

Wish Remedy all the luck with their new projects; looking forward to how Crossfire and P7 turn out.

On another note I really need to get around to playing my copy of Quantum Break. Bought the game at release but knowing that it could be the last hurrah for the "traditional" Remedy experience at least for the next while and the mixed reception dulled my enthusiasm a bit. Hopefully I'll sit down with it soon as I continue to work through this backlog.

firelogic

I don't want to be the storyteller. I want to experience a well crafted story by the pros. Also, until we get super computers like Deep Blue or Deep Mind to run our games, free choice isn't really a thing. We're all still being funneled to a set destination, regardless of how many artificial paths they've set up. Until we can reach a point where I can affect the story at any point in time that I want, I'd rather it was left out.

I don't want to be the storyteller but I also don't want the story told like it was in QB. Please just go back to the Alan Wake and Max Payne days!

Edit: had no idea what Crossfire was so I googled it. Eeeeeeeshh... Had no idea Remedy was working on this stuff now... MS please rescue Remedy!!!

Remedy's technology on Quantum Break was incredible (like faces and mouths and the sync and everything around that). Wish AW2 was happening with that tech.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"Emergent storytelling" is probably the worst form of storytelling

It seems their single player aspirations are going out the door quickly.

I feel sad for Remedy, they get no love from M$. I don't want them chasing multiplayer.

They did take 10 years to release Alan Wake and Quantum Break. MS seemed to back them heavily with QB and waited a long time. Sales were like 140k and still under 200k after two months in NA.

cilonen

"Emergent storytelling" is probably the worst form of storytelling

It seems their single player aspirations are going out the door quickly.

I completely agree. It's great on paper - like the Destiny promise of "you'll tell your friends stories of how you acquired this weapon" or Elite Dangerous's philosophy of the story being entirely emergent and created through player interactions.

Having put significant time in to both of those titles, it's horseshit. the only story I remember from Destiny is the nonsensical one it shipped with and no player interaction in Elite is comparable to a well crafted narrative arc.

I want someone to take me on a journey, not cheap out on that side of things because they hope player interactions and interacting with their game's toolset will be enough. Remedy were actually pretty good at the storytelling thing - although I've not played QB - so this is slightly worrying for P7.

If Quantum Break does not get a sequel, then I don't know what's going on anymore. If ever there was a project that deserves a sequel, it is that one. It's a total no brainer for that game to get a follow-up, even if they decide to not go the TV show route with real life actors like they did in the first.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I completely agree. It's great on paper - like the Destiny promise of "you'll tell your friends stories of how you acquired this weapon" or Elite Dangerous's philosophy of the story being entirely emergent and created through player interactions.

Having put significant time in to both of those titles, it's horseshit. the only story I remember from Destiny is the nonsensical one it shipped with and no player interaction in Elite is comparable to a well crafted narrative arc.

I want someone to take me on a journey, not cheap out on that side of things because they hope player interactions and interacting with their game's toolset will be enough. Remedy were actually pretty good at the storytelling thing - although I've not played QB - so this is slightly worrying for P7.

I agree. I think crafting your own story can work in certain terms, Skyrim being the biggest success i think. But it has to have some sort of contained narrative structure, which almost every game worth their salt has.

These attempts at selling storyless games and making your interactions with gameplay systems and banal multiplayer interactions is just the developer losing sight of what makes essential game design.

hawk2025

If Quantum Break does not get a sequel, then I don't know what's going on anymore. If ever there was a project that deserves a sequel, it is that one. It's a total no brainer for that game to get a follow-up, even if they decide to not go the TV show route with real life actors like they did in the first.

It bombed.

It won't get a sequel.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Kinda sucks imo Remedy are going the multiplayer route, but hey that's where the money is I guess, so gotta do what you gotta do.

It sounds as though Remedy is working on a completely separate and presumably single-player/single-player-friendly "story mode", which makes perfect sense given the studio hasn't developed an MP component since the original Death Rally.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Very interested to see how Remedy handle a FPS campaign. Definitely up for it, love their games and Quantum Break is definitely in my top ten for this year.

gdt

It's strange. QB was great imo, but so dated almost. It's like Uncharted 3 5 years too late, and nowhere near as good (no offense, obvs)

They need to expand their gameplay and level design, and give players more options to tackle things the way they want.

I don't know about them doing pve loot stuff, or this Chinese game. They just need to expand on what they do, faster. Kill the tv show thing too. Was useless.

I'm worried, and it seems the relationship with MS is done.

AudioEppa

I've never played a game for this developer, some of the previous work has always caught my interest like Alan Wake and Quantum Break. But I don't see myself holding that same interest in this upcoming game by the bit in the OP about moving away from a narrow line. I prefer storytelling within games to be a streamline path set by developers, I don't care to make my own story.

I understand this approach is popular with some gamers who want to feel more in control within the game world, but I have to be selfish and say I hope this is something that doesn't work out for them so it won't catch on with other developers going forward.

I don't know about them doing pve loot stuff, or this Chinese game. They just need to expand on what they do, faster. Kill the tv show thing too. Was useless.

I'm worried, and it seems the relationship with MS is done.

Remedy appears to be borderline obsessed with a merging of TV and videogames. Max Payne seems to have taken after a graphic novel solely due to budget concerns at the time, because as soon as they got rid of those? They started heading that way hard.

If that is indeed the case, It's silly, really. Why would you wanna make an interactive media... non-interactive? You're eschewing its strengths.

gow3isben

As far as I'm concerned Max Payne was only stellar with Max Payne 3, which Rockstar made (what a phenomenal and underrated game). Asides from that the first 2 Max Paynes weren't all that hot for me and their latest two titles in AW and QB were downright average. This is a B level studio like Ninja Theory which crafts competent but uninspired games, but it makes exactly the type of game I like: Linear and third person (more rare these days), so I will always look out for their titles.

If they try something that doesn't involve the above two styles have no reason to be excited for their games.

So, be honest with me gaf: Did Alan Wake sales bombed or something?
I mean, yeah, it wasn't the game of the decade by any stretch, but I thought it was a good game. What happened? Not only do they refuse to touch it again, they are seemingly going in an entirely other direction in other to not work on an Alan Wake sequel, which, IIRC, was needed, as the story wasn't complete?
Again, what happened?

prag16

Banned
Basically they want to create a "The Division" of their own (game as a service).

I'm worried.

Yep. Absolutely not the direction I would have wanted them to go. At all. Especially since I loved Quantum Break.

I will cry a thousand rivers if Alan Wake 2 never comes to pass. The combat in the original was probably the weak point to an extent, but after Quantum Break (another game that unfortunately will likely never get a follow up) I have confidence they have plenty of ideas to make combat interesting moving forward.

Felensis

Banned
I'm a huge Remedy fan since the very first Max Payne and love every game from them ever since because of their characters and stories as well as the fun shooting gameplay. I immensely enjoyed Quantum Break including it's IMHO well made live action. Story was awesome. Don't get why so many people don't like the game.

What they're doing right now looks to me more like a necessity to survive rather than something that's a distinct Remedy game ...

I hope they will be able to do more cinematic, story driven games in the future. Me personally would love to see a Max Payne reimagination as much as a QB/AW sequel. Love the dark, gritty film noir atmosphere of MP.

Quantum Break really shook my confidence in Remedy. Max Payne and Alan Wake both had a certain cheeky irreverence to them, but QB was just such a po-faced slog. I hated all the characters, I hated feeling like I had to read tome after tome of lore collectibles to have any idea what was going on, and I especially hated that it had a rubbish ending that didn't tie anything up. On the rare occasion you actually got to play the game it was a decent enough shooter, but 90% of that game was just slow-walking, reading exposition and watching all the different flavours of cutscene.

They did take 10 years to release Alan Wake and Quantum Break. MS seemed to back them heavily with QB and waited a long time. Sales were like 140k and still under 200k after two months in NA.

Well, what I mean is that M$ doesn't really support them or really any of their developers. They basically give you one shot to make a hit and if it is not imminently successful they aren't interested in talking to you again. Alan Wake didn't light the sales charts on fire so they weren't interested in AW2. Thus, Remedy turned to Quantum Break a more mass appeal genre which MS was willing to give them another chance with. However, it too wasn't a massive seller so it's unlikely we'll get a sequel. The same can be said about Ryse and Sunset Overdrive,

Now, look at Sony to compare. Uncharted 1 was a really average and I doubt it sold insane numbers, but Sony supported what ND was doing and let them make a sequel, the rest is history. Sony also allowed Insomiac to make three Resistance games despite its middling sales. They let Ueda spend a decade making The Last Guardian and gave Jaffe free license to make a new Twisted Metal. Microsoft just doesn't give out chances like Sony, unless the franchise is Halo or Gears they are quite content in letting franchises die if they aren't immediately profitable.

vivekTO

Max Payne 2 will always have a place in my heart , the gameplay and storytelling is just that good. I played Mp1 after Mp2 so it doesn't have that much impact but i still like it. So i was looking forward to anything by remedy , but after QB i have to say it has dampen my expectations. Good luck for there future endeavours. especially this "Storyteller" Stuff.

I also played Alan Wake its a good game too.

Bioshocker

I feel sad for Remedy, they get no love from M$. I don't want them chasing multiplayer.

Microsoft supported them for Quantum Break despite the long development time and despite Alan Wake not being the commercial success they probably expected. Now when QB bombed I can understand MS weren't that eager to support another AAA game from Remedy just yet.

Personally I was disappointed with Quantum Break, it lacked the charm Alan Wake had loads of, and ended up being a decent but pretty darn boring third person shooter. I wish Remedy well with whatever they create next, but all I want is Alan Wake 2.

Well, what I mean is that M$ doesn't really support them or really any of their developers. They basically give you one shot to make a hit and if it is not imminently successful they aren't interested in talking to you again. Alan Wake didn't light the sales charts on fire so they weren't interested in AW2. Thus, Remedy turned to Quantum Break a more mass appeal genre which MS was willing to give them another chance with. However, it too wasn't a massive seller so it's unlikely we'll get a sequel. The same can be said about Ryse and Sunset Overdrive,

Now, look at Sony to compare. Uncharted 1 was a really average and I doubt it sold insane numbers, but Sony supported what ND was doing and let them make a sequel, the rest is history. Sony also allowed Insomiac to make three Resistance games despite its middling sales. They let Ueda spend a decade making The Last Guardian and gave Jaffe free license to make a new Twisted Metal. Microsoft just doesn't give out chances like Sony, unless the franchise is Halo or Gears they are quite content in letting franchises die if they aren't immediately profitable.

M$? Really?

So people don't actually read those articles?

They are done with the merging TV and games, they did it with QB so they have no further intentions for that.

Their multiplayer will be different from the others, they specifically don't want it to be Destiny/CoD or whatever MP game out there.

It seems to me they want to make more like a co-op game, they don't want to make a competitive MP title.

Remedy wants to make new things and try different things, nothing wrong with that. They've never done a bad game, divisive games at most.

Well Uncharted sold decent actually, and ND made Uncharted 2 18 months later. You don't know if Remedy were forced to make QB but MS has backed them for 10 years. Other studios make 4-6 games in that time.

Not sure what this has do with Sony. Yes they've done good but the comment was Remedy has seen no love but they have.

Cuningas de Häme;227345036 said:
So people don't actually read those articles?

They are done with the merging TV and games, they did it with QB so they have no further intentions for that.

Their multiplayer will be different from the others, they specifically don't want it to be Destiny/CoD or whatever MP game out there.

It seems to me they want to make more like a co-op game, they don't want to make a competitive MP title.

Remedy wants to make new things and try different things, nothing wrong with that. They've never done a bad game, divisive games at most.

Well said, thank you! :)

I'm not really looking to tell my own story. I'm looking for a really good story to be told to me. I'm not saying I don't want the mechanics to tell the story to me as much as cutscenes, because I do, but I don't like this whole "let the player be the storyteller" thing that some studios are doing. I am not the storyteller. I'm the audience.

You couldn't be more obvious with your poop flinging agenda. This has nothing to do with Sony and the liberal use of M$ is churlish. If you want to make a thread to espouse how generous Sony are go ahead.

Back on topic.

I don't think it's a bad thing that Remedy are chasing a new genre for them because it's clear they've had less success than they deserve. Quantum Break was hampered by the ever changing platform on which it was developed and went from a media heavy experience to one consolidated on a platform which didn't really have the install base to back up a huge investment.

Also, a genre change can be refreshing for a team and give them new insight and ideas on what to tackle next. I hope that this pans out for them and the game plays great. They deserve every success and hopefully this helps them find a little more mass market appeal.

Trup1aya

Man whenever i hear someone trash QB i wonder if we i played the same game.

The loop-theory story telling was spot on, and the time-power infused gun battles were amazing. The technology was impressive too.

If there was one flaw is that it was to short.and for reason people thought it was a cover shooter.

Kills me to know that they are going the MP route and that we'll never get a sequel. Alan wake too...

Trup1aya

I feel like you are making stuff up. Iirc remedy hadn't pitched Alan Wake 2, Microsoft tried to aquire the Ryse license, and don't have control over the Sunset IP.

Meanwhile crackdown has never been a blockbuster,yet has a sequel that's been in development for over 3 years, and MS is backing risky projects like Sea of Theives.

Top Bottom