• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "What Nintendo has learned from Kickstarter"

pvpness

Article is garbage. That's not surprising. What I am surprised by is the suggestion that polygon is respected. Yuck.

Levyne

Banned
Even if the tone of the article is mostly positive ("Like a kickstarter, only reliable"), the comparison still seems dumb to me.

ultron87

This article would make more sense if they had just started doing Nintendo Directs and hadn't been doing them for years.

Massa

With yesterday's Nintendo Direct, Nintendo tapped into what makes Kickstarters so seductive: big promises, creative transparency and the illusion of direct contact with the consumer.

I'm sure if Nintendo had an event with drinks and food for the press and gave them access under embargo we'd be reading a different article.

Schnozberry

Pretty much. The time when publishers need others to rely information for them is over. Sure, Nintendo started that with Nintendo Power, but now with the Internet? Things have changes and looking at articles like this, I'm thankful for that.

Me too. I don't hate games journalism or any specific journalist, either. I just find it funny how often comfirmation bias seems to wind up getting printed in news posts. It would be perfectly fine if somebody wants to drop the hammer on Nintendo in an editorial, but it would appear that news and editorial are now so run together that we get ongoing opinion about companies or platforms that creeps into news stories regardless of relavence.

The story above in the OP is just boorish nonsense. It's clumsy and makes zero sense.

Portugeezer

Do they?

I'm sure if Nintendo had an event with drinks and food for the press and gave them access under embargo we'd be reading a different article.
I guess in their mind that is more direct contact to the consumer, via middle man (aka journalist). "Guess what we know that you don't?" "Oh we can't fucking say, but we know it"

Levyne

Banned
This article would make more sense if they had just started doing Nintendo Directs and hadn't been doing them for years.

Well this was the first to significantly look ahead to previously unannounced products, so writing an article about the change in focus and why could be useful. This just doesnt quite seem to be it

Nah, it would take a few hundred thousand funding a documentary about the writers lives to really get them on board.

JDSN

Banned
Miyamoto:"Kickstarter? Is that a Pc game?"

They have been doing these kind of events for years, with the same exact tone of familiarity. Labelling it as a "Kickstarter video, but reliable" only proves to me that Nintendo created the ND as a response to clueless, apathic media, suddenly feeling excluded now that Nintendo can avoid pumping them of Mountain Dew thanks to social media.

What Polygon has learned from IGN

Awesome.

why are you dismissing it without thought?

Do you eat shit?

No idea what this has to do with Kickstarter. Imo it was an act of desperation after the Wii U bombed during the holidays and continues to do so now. Their stated goal two years ago was to attract back the core and garner great third party support. So far they're failing on both counts. Yesterday was a clear call to the core gamers. Hopefully Nintendo's goals are realisitc. If they were banking on another Wii-esque success, they're in for a rude awakening.

Thoraxes

Wait...

A gaming company makes an announcement about first-party games for their own developed system that came out, and now it's like kickstarter? The whole entire industry is kickstarter then.

Kickstarter has been around since the beginning of consumer electronics too then.

batbeg

I hope Yoshi makes it's goal. Kind of ballsy to launch so many blind announcements ala Mario trilogy, those campaigns have been known to struggle.
Yeah, that comment totally rubbed me the wrong way. How dare I take Nintendo's word at face value instead of the regurgitated shit that is Game Journalism tm

What????? If a company is promoting it products and showing support is considerd something kickstarter??? Didn't companies do that for ages???

Between this article and the Edge one whats happening to the gaming journalism?

Wow these sites are really trying hard to create a narrative aren't they.

Nintendo are taking hits away from these sites by directly communicating with Wii U owners, I'm not surprised they don't like it. To be honest I thought they would have had a ND channel pre-installed on the Wii U for them, like they did on the Wii(they could put up the Iwata Asks too).

Portugeezer

What????? If a company is promoting it products and showing support is considerd something kickstarter??? Didn't companies do that for ages???

Lol, Nintendo just can't win sometimes. They do something awesome and get criticised for it, it's like sitting on their asses not saying anything would have been better for the Wii U doom sayers, now we know about some big games and the haters don't like it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Edge article. Or are we now going to insinuate that Edge is somehow anti-Nintendo now?

PhantomR

Banned
Nintendo are taking hits away from these sites by directly communicating with Wii U owners, I'm not surprised they don't like it. To be honest I thought they would have had a ND channel pre-installed on the Wii U for them, like they did on the Wii(they could put up the Iwata Asks too).

THIS.

I've been begging for NCL to get this implemented stat. I really hope that's in the plans. It should have Nintendo Directs, 3DS demos (Like how the Nintendo channel had DS demos), and bring an updated, new Nintendo week back.

jmls1121

Banned
These articles further justify why Nintendo began doing direct communication in the first place.

Yep, and they are incredibly pissed. When you willfully convert into a PR machine for video game companies, you become an expendable commodity. Polygon/Edge are just now realizing this...

Oh wow.

Kohler should know what that word means.

Either he doesn't or he's misusing it purposely to prove a point. I guess it's the difference between being ignorant and being jaded.

In an online presentation broadcast on Wednesday morning, Nintendo went for broke: In an effort to energize its hardcore fans, it announced a handful of new Wii U games — and a huge volley of vaporware.

So Nintendo fired all its vaporware cannons, talking up games it wasn’t ready to show.

Hence the vaporware avalanche this morning.

Wired should have publicly apologized and posted more accurate terminology. "Vaporware" has incredibly negative connotations.

Riddler

I remember the N64 Final Fantasy 6 render. Boy was I excited!

I guess you could draw a comparison, but it's a very, very broad one that encompasses most business presentations ever. If it's due to Iwata's tone, then that probably has to do with Iwata being more candid whenever there's problems; if you go back and look at his other presentations in the last few years whenever he's addressing a problem, he takes on a similar apologetic and sympathetic tone.

well nintendo is kinda kickstarting the Wii U hype

Do you remember the threads before the Wii U release? They were all like.. "I have never been less hyped about a console ever"

Nintendo has just started they hype machine. They said they were serious about core gamer, they are delivering.

Top Bottom