• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "What Nintendo has learned from Kickstarter"

What? Kohler did mean vapourware.

Kohler in the comments:
Monolith's first Wii game was announced for America, but never released. Xenoblade was announced for America, but only just barely made it out. Remakes: Remember those 3-D remakes of classic games Nintendo showed at 3DS' first E3? Vaporware all.

Adam Blue

Just like someone's wife being a prostitute because they paid for dinner then had sex later.

Paid for sex.

Kickstarter for a baby.

Portugeezer

The article has the main comparison as direct interaction with the audience and a more personal style of communication. Which isn't necessarily incorrect.

It's still stupid. Indirectly or directly, a game announcement is the announcement of a game and I don't have to read it on IGN/Gamespot/Polygon for it to be a proper announcement.

Oh god, Kohler keeps defending his use of the term "vaporware". Not only do I now regret giving that baiting article my clicks, but I also regret having previously given money for Chris Kohler's book.

I thought you were a journalist, Chris. My mistake, and good luck with your career in PR.

FoneBone

Oh wow.

Kohler should know what that word means.

Either he doesn't or he's misusing it purposely to prove a point. I guess it's the difference between being ignorant and being jaded.

In related news Kohler praises this article and whines about GAF's "blind rage against 'games journalism.'"'

WTF? And then he defends it in the comments. I honestly wish I could take back the hit I just gave them. Can you be charged for killing brain cells? Because he deserves life for the mass murder he's just caused.

He actually points to an article from the mid-80s to justify it. If that's not reaching...

Rich IGN wrote a good article while EDGE wrote something similar to this shit level trash fest

Where can I donate to Kickstart X?

To be fair, Rich's article was pretty terrible, but at least it didn't create some sort of bizarre pseudo-narrative. It was pretty much just him verbally ejaculating, though, which is still rather distressing. Also, he knows what words mean.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Edge article. Or are we now going to insinuate that Edge is somehow anti-Nintendo now?
yes the article negative depiction of "promises". As Wii U owner I always criticisized Nintendo even here on GAF for not showing us what are we expecting whats in the future for the console since their last E3 was pathetic, and they literally fulfilled, no exceeded my expectation yesterday.
Yes Nintendo is giving promises and I don't think this is to remedy their sales for the SHORT time since everybody including Nintendo knows sales won't be fixed until software is present.
These early "Promises" show us as customers, Software makers and investors that this company is darn serious about their product, they could've gone Vita with Wii U and said "meh we have 3DS and Pokemon xy no need to worry".

Parallacs

Come on Kotaku, you've written some dumb articles in your life but th...

What?

What's a Polygon? Is that Kotaku's Japanese division?

No?

Okay, Kotaku, you win this time. I'll be watching you.

I only know about Polygon because of the Games Journalism thead. I probably won't start reading them any time soon.

Maztorre

I think the concept of Nintendo Direct is more along the lines of "What Nintendo has learned from their history with games journos"

So he is accusing GAF of raging against games journalism, when the reality is one of the biggest and most active threads on this site was in relation to the outrage the majority of GAF had when one of the few examples of actual games journalism was attacked with threat of litigation?

Chris Kohler, you can go fuck yourself.

I don't have a blind rage against journalism. I would like to think anything I went to school to study for many years would not be something I have a blind rage against.

If I criticize games journalism, or political journalism, or tech journalism, or local journalism, I do not believe it to be blind. Dismissing my opinion as such to make yourself feel better should give you pause, because something is wrong.

nubbe

Then what is stuff like Major's Minute and PSN Qore?

Kickstarter reference is utterly illogical since there is no update on development progress or community interaction.

Nintendo Direct it just an announcement channel like ... whatever..

Effect

These articles further justify why Nintendo began doing direct communication in the first place.

Also why they'll continue to use Nintendo Directs as well and use them more and more. Yet some of these sites continue to wonder why Nintendo doesn't become more open with them. Why should they when they produce stuff like this.

I'm hoping Nintendo comes out with a Nintendo Direct channel for the Wii U. That way as soon as you turn it on you can see when a new one has been done so you can bypass these sites all together.

Or maybe they are just mad that they didn't get an exclusive.

I really think this is part of in the end.

kadotsu

Banned
Why is the games press so hostile towards this particular batch of Nintendo announcements. They bitched about the games only being released in the *gasp* future and try to tie Nintendo Directs, that have been going on for more than a year now, into the buzzwords du jour.

Or maybe they are just mad that they didn't get an exclusive.

JDSN

Banned
In related news Kohler praises this article and whines about GAF's "blind rage against 'games journalism.'"'

He actually points to an article from the mid-80s to justify it. If that's not reaching...
Eh, I didnt expect Kobun to indulge in silly twitter mockery. They must feel really treatened by these kind of eventos.

Anyway, I can empathize if someone might have said, off the cuff, "hey that's kind of like a kickstarter project."

But to craft this piece as some sweeping analogy about a company's entire strategy, and to then use that analogy as a means to suggest the message or content is illegitimate?

Bad form polygonz.

Chris Plante on neogaf:

Games 'Bloggers' elitism has got on my tits for a while. The likes of Polygon are just hangers on who also unfortunately happen to be arrogant tossers who believe their doing something rather special.

Enough gaffers wrote better thoughts - both positive and negative - on that Direct.
Why do these people think they need to be praised for writing shit?

ultron87

Anyway, I can empathize if someone might have said, off the cuff, "hey that's kind of like a kickstarter project."

But to craft this piece as some sweeping analogy about a company's entire strategy, and to then use that analogy as a means to suggest the message or content is illegitimate?

Bad form polygonz.

Where did it suggest that the strategy was illegitimate? It seemed like the article was presenting it as a mostly positive move.

vapourware.jpg

WillyFive

Comparing Nintendo Direct to Kickstarter is one of the most baffling things I've seen a game website do.

Their reasoning is equally nonsensical.

Rich IGN wrote a good article while EDGE wrote something similar to this shit level trash fest

Where can I donate to Kickstart X?

Agreed. I thought Rich's article about the ND was surprisingly grounded. It addressed the issues Nintendo has had and what the stream attempted to do to remedy them. Well written.

People really think that Nintendo event was no different than any other media event at a gaming conference? Nintendo name-dropping and waxing philosophically about games that are years out doesn't stand out to anyone else?

The Boat

Chris Plante on neogaf:
https://twitter.com/ctplante/status/294529098838065152

Games 'Bloggers' elitism has got on my tits for a while. The likes of Polygon are just hangers on who also unfortunately happen to be arrogant tossers who believe their doing something rather special.

Enough gaffers wrote better thoughts - both positive and negative - on that Direct.
Why do these people think they need to be praised for writing shit?
Funny how two guys that just wrote terrible articles in the same vein are patting each other on the backs. It makes me sad beause I used to love Kobun's work, but lately they took a nosedive.
But of course, I must be missing the point.

People really think that Nintendo event was no different than any other media event at a gaming conference? Nintendo name-dropping and waxing philosophically about games that are years out doesn't stand out to anyone else?

You nailed it. No other company announces video games that are more than a year out. Not a single one.

Top Bottom