• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "What Nintendo has learned from Kickstarter"

legend166

Words do not work like this.

It would still be a completely ridiculous statement to make.

The games that Nintendo 'announced' and didn't show footage of were Smash Bros., Mario Kart and a 3D Mario.

To suggest that these three games won't be released is just so unfathomably asinine. Kohler is usually a smart guy who writes good things, but in this case he's just completely missed the mark.

In fact the whole press reaction to this is so weird. Nintendo announced some games, and also did the whole announcing of announcing games, which is always annoying but certainly not unique to them. Every company ever has said "We'll talk more about that at E3."

I mean, I'm starting to think there must be something to the whole 'We're bitter because they're completely bypassing us' thing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
People really think that Nintendo event was no different than any other media event at a gaming conference? Nintendo name-dropping and waxing philosophically about games that are years out doesn't stand out to anyone else?

They used to tease or show games that were years out all the time until the Wii came along.

Curufinwe

vapourware.jpg

Kohler's article probably deserves it's own thread for the misuse of that loaded word.

"So Nintendo fired all its vaporware cannons, talking up games it wasn’t ready to show. The Tokyo team is working on the follow-up to the Super Mario Galaxy series, which will be playable at E3 Expo in June. And so will a new Mario Kart."

roddur

it looks like Nintendo doing the Direct is kind of kick in those journalists stomachs. so as a journalist what you do, you write something to pay it back.

Rokal

I actually agree with the article. I watched the Nintendo Direct last night and I was just talking with a friend a few hours ago about how refreshingly weird it was.

The tone and the candid-seeming way it was presented are what made this feel much different from your typical hyper-polished/filtered E3 announcement. It's didn't seem like marketing hype and empty promises, it felt more honest and realistic. As someone that owns a Wii U and has been pretty disappointed with Nintendo's output, the recent Nintendo direct was pretty effective at increasing my confidence for the system.

They used to tease or show games that were years out all the time until the Wii came along.

Hell, I remember people wryly noting that even after Iwata talked about Nintendo not revealing games more than 6 months before launch, they still did it quite a few more times, for both Wii and 3DS games. It's really been just the last year where they suddenly clammed up, and look how that worked out for them.

I'm not sure why the games journalism Twitterati are deciding that blurry parallels between business presentations and buzzword semantics are the place to stand their ground and circle the wagons, but hey.

I do agree that Smash, Mario Kart, and 3D Mario were totally "Please buy our system, the big games the mass market loves are coming!" announcements and I can see feeling burned that they teased them and didn't show them.

I also understand that they either don't have enough to show or are purposely saving a few big guns for E3 to fight for any press coverage whatsoever there. It's no secret where most people's attention will be.

So, yes, it kind of sucks that they did not show games that they announced as in-development, but unless you have proof they're actually not in development, calling it vaporware is a very loaded and accusatory term. And if you do have that proof, that'd make a really good piece of games journalism that you should probably post.

JDSN

Banned
Christ even the same journalists are always making these announcements of announcements every other week. Are they kickstarting their sites? From now every preview shall be called vapor-view and every conference a crowfunding livestream.

rockx4

It's going to be fun when MS and Sony fire off their vaporwares and launch their next gen Kickstarter campaigns.

Nintendo to start gamestarter where indie devs can submit their videos and info on the marketplace for nintendo funded indie game projects ooooo yeah!

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/07/gamelife-video-vaporware/

The five games in this week’s episode of Game|Life Video all have two things in common: They haven’t been heard from in forever, but their publishers still insist they’re coming. After years of patience, we’re still waiting to see some evidence that games like The Last Guardian or Beyond Good and Evil 2 actually exist, and are not just cruel jokes cooked up in boardrooms somewhere with the intent of building up all our hopes and then smashing them into tiny pieces.

Join me as I run down the five games that should have made a big splash at this year’s E3 Expo, but instead just failed to show up entirely.

I'm not sure how Chris managed to chisel it down to 5 games. After all, this was a month after E3, where literally dozens of vaporware games are announced each day!

I actually agree with the article. I watched the Nintendo Direct last night and I was just talking with a friend a few hours ago about how refreshingly weird it was.

The tone and the candid-seeming way it was presented are what made this feel much different from your typical hyper-polished/filtered E3 announcement. It's didn't seem like marketing hype and empty promises, it felt more honest and realistic. As someone that owns a Wii U and has been pretty disappointed with Nintendo's output, the recent Nintendo direct was pretty effective at increasing my confidence for the system.

Almost all of the Nintendo Directs are like this. It is very typically treated as a way that Iwata and company can have a more intimate and direct contact with their customers. Iwata Asks interviews are typically very well done and informative, in ways that one wouldn't normally expect from what is essentially advertisement.

Sometimes, it really does seem like some of these enthusiast pressers act like they are entitled and butthurt over the way Nintendo conducts its business.

chris3116

Also why they'll continue to use Nintendo Directs as well and use them more and more. Yet some of these sites continue to wonder why Nintendo doesn't become more open with them. Why should they when they produce stuff like this.

I'm hoping Nintendo comes out with a Nintendo Direct channel for the Wii U. That way as soon as you turn it on you can see when a new one has been done so you can bypass these sites all together.

I really think this is part of in the end.

Add all the websites are exclusively talking about Nintendo. Websites like G. N., Nintendo World Report, Nintendo Life,... are now more popular to read the Nintendo news than GameSpot, IGN, Gametrailers or Polygon. Nintendo knows these websites exist so they feed them with these Nintendo directs. While the others are just bashing Nintendo for no reasons. Does all the "big" gaming websites broadcast the Nintendo directs? If they don't care about broadcasting Nintendo directs, why should Nintendo care about them? All Nintendo needs is more mainstream journalism with a better marketing.

The Boat

I do agree that Smash, Mario Kart, and 3D Mario were totally "Please buy our system, the big games the mass market loves are coming!" announcements and I can see feeling burned that they teased them and didn't show them.

I also understand that they either don't have enough to show or are purposely saving a few big guns for E3 to fight for any press coverage whatsoever there. It's no secret where most people's attention will be.

So, yes, it kind of sucks that they did not show games that they announced as in-development, but unless you have proof they're actually not in development, calling it vaporware is a very loaded and accusatory term. And if you do have that proof, that'd make a really good piece of games journalism that you should probably post.
And to be fair, everyone knows those games are coming, Iwata even said it himself. They can hardly be called announcements. Had they not shown games that are coming out within a year or so and stuck with simply apologizing and saying "we're making Mario guys, please buy Wii U!", these articles would make more sense. Even then comparisons with Kickstarter and vaporware would be a ridiculous stretch at best.

R1CHO

Man, Polygon is the EDGE of the webs, a bunch of good articles and interviews with a lot of shit around them; and also hipster.

God why can't GAF understand the genius of Polygon and Wired. Why are we so stupid :(

How can I be as intelligent as Chris Kohler? How do I become as insightful as Chris Plante? Please, give me some tips :(

I don't see what earned this the negativity bandwagon it got. This is Chris Plante's analysis of the Nintendo direct, and there's definitely a comparison to be made between the way kickstarter updates work and the direction that nintendo direct is taking. This is an appropriate article for Polygon's website. Opinion pieces I disagree with are A-Okay.

I'm way more "outraged" (mildly annoyed) at the constant stream of trailer announcements that clog up my RSS feed every day. Especially when every website starts posting stories about the accouncement of a trailer that inevitably won't show anything about the game itself (teaser trailer for Cyberpunk 2077). I mean, REALLY?

Also,
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/07/gamelife-video-vaporware/

I'm not sure how Chris managed to chisel it down to 5 games. After all, this was a month after E3, where literally dozens of vaporware games are announced each day!

It's a Wired article. Anything coming out of Wired is either an interesting piece of longform tech journalism (about 5% of their content) or it's a numbered list (95% of their content). Almost all numbered lists are basically worthless content-fillers and should be taken with a copious amount of salt.

jxYZmX1.jpg

"So what are you taking me in for, Games Journalism? Graphics aren't good enough, no online announcements?"

wDuDyfs.jpg

"You know what you did, Nintendo. Announcing games too early! You're going away for a long time."

AyZ5AeG.jpg

"Heh heh, poor Nintendo. You know, we had a lot of fun tonight. But, there's nothing funny about...vapor ware. Its the third most common cause of stalling. So please, take care of your video game console and get it checked. I'm Chris Kohler, good night!"

353tL4d.jpg

"..."

These direct developer-to-consumer media events have got to be kind of threatening to enthusiast sites like Polygon because they're being excluded from their standard role of the source of information distribution. The middleman has effectively been cut out. Imagine how different the tone of one of the many critics would be if their site got the exclusive story rights that revealed Monolith's "X".

Kohler's article probably deserves it's own thread for the misuse of that loaded word.

I have some suggestions for the title:

"Nintendo stock explosion caused by bomb or vaporware."

"Games coming, claims Iwata, noted liar."

"Wired gets the vapors, takes company to task for announcing games."

"Is video game writing the last bastion of yellow journalism?"

legend166

"So what are you taking me in for, Games Journalism? Graphics aren't good enough, no online announcements?"

"You know what you did, Nintendo. Announcing games too early! You're going away for a long time."

"Heh heh, poor Nintendo. You know, we had a lot of fun tonight. But, there's nothing funny about...vapor ware. Its the third most common cause of stalling. So please, take care of your video game console and get it checked. I'm Chris Kohler, good night!"

"..."

Hahahahahahaha, well played.

javac

In terms of Mario kart and 3D Mario, they will actually have playable software, a far cry from vapourware, no? How does that resonate with anything to do with a kickstarter?

Nintendo could have talked about games coming soon. Release date for The wonderful 101 as well as more info on it, features etc. The same for Wii fit U, Bayonetta 2, Allen's, Revelations, Pikmin and even more info on rayman legends. Never mind the plethora of 3DS software they could have shed more light on. They chose specifically to talk about the future of the system.

VariantX

Just one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations for Nintendo. I'm struggling to find the difference with what Nintendo did with what Sony and Microsoft do.

With yesterday's Nintendo Direct, Nintendo tapped into what makes Kickstarters so seductive: big promises, creative transparency and the illusion of direct contact with the consumer.

So Nintendo is wisely getting in front of possible consumers, promising that an investment now will get you what you want in the future. It's a Kickstarter update. We need you interested. We need to hit our fiscal goal. Invest now in what we'll give you later.

Such a dumb article.

Embarassing.

No. Truth hurts, eh?

Bulzeeb

God why can't GAF understand the genius of Polygon and Wired. Why are we so stupid :(

How can I be as intelligent as Chris Kohler? How do I become as insightful as Chris Plante? Please, give me some tips :(

for starters, you should change your name to Chris, it seems to be some kind of pattern, anyways, those games are less of a vaporware than versus XIII or Last story in fact, I believe that Yoshi and Zelda WW will be released sometime between may and august

Kunan

No. Truth hurts, eh?
Nintendo has been doing this longer than the game devs have on Kickstarter. Even if it didn't, who cares? Being more close and transparent isn't a bad thing.

That is only the illusion of close contact that I'm talking about. The other talking points: big promises and "buy into my console for the future", are how new consoles have been marketed for generations. Not just yesterday.

turnbuckle

What Polygon has learned from IGN

Possibly in the top 10 of first posts on the gaming side.

FoneBone said:
In related news Kohler praises this article and whines about GAF's "blind rage against 'games journalism.'"'

Haven't followed Kohler in awhile but that's because I haven't really followed gaming news in general as much lately beyond checking GAF. Love the back patting of a peer in his field over something little more insightful than a thread-ending post nobody pays attention to. Bonus points for calling out GAF as a whole as being out of touch and quick to anger "as usual". As a member of the forum himself and regular guest on the defunct Gafcast I guess he's lumping himself in with the rest of us blind idiots.

Generally like what Kohler has to say, but this was a bit pathetic. Almost so bad that it would seem he's trolling just to get people to start talking about him so he can have his ego inflated.

Videoneon

I'm wondering what informs the sort of editorializing presented by this Polygon article. Is it the apparently underwhelming sales of the Wii U? The already mentioned fear of loss of readership to direct company contact? Still adjusting/being resistant to transparency spreading (games journalists to readers through social media, comments sections etc, or even publications still unsure of how to understand Nintendo Direct)?

I understand the title of the article is clickbait-y and that can be its own reason but trying to figure it out

What? I don't get the impression that anything Nintendo announced was pending development lest they reach a crowd funded investment goal.

I don't see what's wrong with "in-the-works" announcements. The movie industry does it as soon as hands are shook and papers are signed.

Top Bottom