• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox One policy "gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly"

DieH@rd

Banned
Wait why does he have the flayed man as his pic?

Dunno, but probably is some fucked up description of the game journalist industry. I almost died laughing when Stearling yelled on the recent Podtoid podcast:
"Even if you are a serial killer, reviewing games would be wasting your potential!"

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Goddamn, I can feel the vitriol in the text hahaha. So good. Shame MS won't hear anything and continue to peddle their crap.

Game Guru

"People accepted paying a monthly fee to access normal console functionality, why would they balk at this?"

---Microsoft.

There is a difference. Online gameplay was not normal console functionality when Microsoft had it for the original Xbox. PS2 and GameCube both required added modules to have that, and GameCube only used it for like Phantasy Star Online and Mario Kart's LAN Play. For years, Xbox Live was the premiere service for online games on consoles.

When Microsoft tried to introduce a monthly fee for online for their Games for Windows Live service, the PC gamers, being used to free online gameplay for years, didn't accept it and MS had to remove the fees specifically for PC.

Conversely, PC gaming never had any real used gaming market, so they readily accepted that they won't be able to sell their games. Console gaming, however, has had a vibrant used gaming market dating back to the NES, so of course, they won't accept the death of used games so easily.

People don't quite understand that the expectations of PC Gamers and Console Gamers are different and have always been different.

nib95

Banned
Updated the OP.

Get a mod to add to thread title, unless we make a new thread with all articles later when the dust has settled. Jimquisition goes up and I'm sure there'll be a new thread for that plus plenty more articles to come.

VanWinkle

I'm looking at the comment section (for which I have posted a few times myself), and I honestly can't believe there are people delusional enough to defend this garbage policy of Microsoft's. "It's a luxury console! It's not for farm boys or those who steal!" Give me a break. These people are truly brainwashed.

bj00rn_

Banned
from another xbox one thread:
from this thread:
Great posts, great poster.

To be fair, most of the posts regarding the matter has been complete and utter shit. It should be possible to have an opinion about something without spewing out one-dimensional random nonsense.

jmls1121

Banned
It just doesn't stop.

Honestly, at this point, what does MS say up on that stage next week?

Do they just blow on by this mess and start showing games?

LOL these people need to seriously get out of their parents basements and get a life, it's a video game console for Christs sake........you'd think Microsoft was selling their daughter into the sex slave industry.

Why would they be writing about that? They're a videogame website.

There are real consumer concerns with some of the policies put forward, please don't dismiss them just because you think it's only video games.

RedShift

BBC News have a pretty neutral article about the whole thing on their front page. It's a pretty small link and you have to scroll down but still.

Link

Trojan X

Banned
Finally. A media that GETS it. Let's hope other medias would wake up and finally tell it for how it is. No matter how things are spun, other than the quality games that the Xbone could offer, the baggage it also provides are appalling.

JHall

lNEg8.gif

RMI

Banned
Attention whores

ding ding ding.

obvious story is obviously going to generate a ton of clicks. Polygon's true master will always be those advertising dollars.

*edit*

still good on them at least for getting the word out. Even though I despise polygon, i recognize that as a big outlet they have the power to reach a wide audience and for once the greater good happens to line up with their greed.

RobbieH

Get a mod to add to thread title, unless we make a new thread with all articles later when the dust has settled. Jimquisition goes up and I'm sure there'll be a new thread for that plus plenty more articles to come.

I made a Wall Street Journal thread. I've also been keeping a list of articles in the NowGamer thread. Looks like this now:

A few things to note:

• VG247 have been denied E3 interviews.
  • TechnoBuffalo confirmed in their article that they've been also been denied interviews, as have some of their colleagues.
  • While the Forbes pieces are from contributors, they're currently the most read articles on the entire site.

Karak

Goddamn, I can feel the vitriol in the text hahaha. So good. Shame MS won't hear anything and continue to peddle their crap.

Ya that is some sanely worded and well worded stuff. I have actually always liked many of polygons articles and this is well done as well.

Nokterian

That is all nice and fine.... but what I'm really waiting for is this:

jimsterlinga6u7p.jpg

Oooohhhhh, its gonna be legendary.

Jim is on fire lately and that is good. Joe and Francis did great on there video's. Waiting on the sess for his rage video i hope.

tumblr_mgr7dgMTKi1rbsg6jo1_400.gif

And Polygon growing some balls,bravo. Took a while but i do want to see more of this.

Trojan X

Banned
It just doesn't stop.

Honestly, at this point, what does MS say up on that stage next week?

Do they just blow on by this mess and start showing games?

More or less. They'll look at everyone, show some incredible games which will make gamers go gaga and that's it. Nothing else. Just do exactly that then sit back, relax, and watch everyone's reactions like a bad episode of The Simpsons where everyone in Springfield is gullible to anything.

ekim

Ok... Now I'm pretty sure MS will change some of the policies. Just allow to play offline when the disc is inserted. Easy peasy. Just add a digital, not transferable copy to each box so people can play without disc when online. Second sales are only disc based.

Majanew

Banned
I'm loving the backlash Xbox One is getting. Now, we just need consumers to send the real message: by not supporting this garbage with their money. That's the only way the industry will truly listen. MS only wants your money and if they're not getting it, they'll wipe their dumb fucking smug faces and stop their bullshit.

Sony better be paying attention. They need to tell the publishers to go fuck themselves.

JWong

Banned
Polygon on Xbone DRM said:
9.5 - DRM! It's great! Give publishers all your money!

Update 2: 6.5 - There's no DRM on TV? That's not good.

Update 3: 2.0 - Gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly.

Update 4: 10 - The DRM game is great, riveting, inspiring, contenting, experiencing, better than TLOU.

by Arthur Gies

Can't wait for their next update.

Gestault

There is a difference. Online gameplay was not normal console functionality when Microsoft had it for the original Xbox. PS2 and GameCube both required added modules to have that, and GameCube only used it for like Phantasy Star Online and Mario Kart's LAN Play. For years, Xbox Live was the premiere service for online games on consoles.

When Microsoft tried to introduce a monthly fee for online for their Games for Windows Live service, the PC gamers, being used to free online gameplay for years, didn't accept it and MS had to remove the fees specifically for PC.

Conversely, PC gaming never had any real used gaming market, so they readily accepted that they won't be able to sell their games. Console gaming, however, has had a vibrant used gaming market dating back to the NES, so of course, they won't accept the death of used games so easily.

People don't quite understand that the expectations of PC Gamers and Console Gamers are different and have always been different.

Fantastic breakdown.

mcfrank

I made a Wall Street Journal thread. I've also been keeping a list of articles in the NowGamer thread. Looks like this now:

A few things to note:

• TechnoBuffalo confirmed in their article that they've been also been denied interviews, as have some of their colleagues.
  • While the Forbes pieces are from contributors, they're currently the most read articles on the entire site.

Added to OP with Credit, hopefully a mod will change the title again.

Or maybe they were waiting for actual confirmation from Microsoft?
They why support the rumor?
It wasn't a bland dismissal or 'hey let's wait and see' it was support.
Also I think those trying to 'wait until the bad things happens before we care' aren't doing anyone any favors.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

A few things to note:

Holy cow! Didn't realize there were so many articles popping up. Word is spreading bigtime!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe it... I actually agree 100% with the article. And I really like the way it's written.

Chris Plante. I don't know this man, but I wouldn't mind reading more articles from him.

Biker19

Banned

A few things to note:

It's so great to see the media not tolerating Microsoft's bullshit practices. Now it just needs to spread all around Facebook & Twitter, as well as MSN, Yahoo, etc. to deliver the final blow.

nib95

Banned

A few things to note:

Damn, you should stick these all in a new thread eventually.

A few things to note:

Patrick from Giantbomb was also denied E3 interviews.

jmood88

Ok... Now I'm pretty sure MS will change some of the policies. Just allow to play offline when the disc is inserted. Easy peasy. Just add a digital, not transferable copy to each box so people can play without disc when online. Second sales are only disc based.

I don't get why they just don't do this. Most of the criticisms would just stop if they would let people play offline with the disc.

I have been a Polygon HATER from the beginning. Didn't like their site design, didn't like their features, didn't like their writers!

But I will give them a high five, 2 thumbs up, and a chest bump even for this article. This article alone will go a long way to earning goodwill, and even site visits from me!

Thank you Polygon for stepping away from the stereotypes (Pro Microsoft, Paid by Microsoft, Biased) your site has recieved!!

Top Bottom