• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible boxart for Kinect

The Kinect slogan always reminds me of this:

10n9t0h.jpg

"Just be the ball, be the ball, be the ball. You're not being the ball Danny"

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my mom likes to do some recreational flopping in the background, and it seems to mess with the sensor. i hope this is improved.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
beelzebozo said:
my mom likes to do some recreational flopping in the background, and it seems to mess with the sensor. i hope this is improved.

There's a day 1-patch for that!
dress your mum up in all black

satriales said:
Can you really stand that close with the camera basically on the floor? It doesn't look like it would be able to see them.
The height of the camera shouldn't make a difference. It has motorised tilting so it can look up to get the best angle. I don't know if they'd still be too close though, the recommended distance is 6 feet.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
"Non Couch Compatible"

Luigiv

Darklord said:
Holy shit, I didn't realize it was that big.
That's pretty much the same reaction I had when I first saw that. The saddest part is, despite the giant lens on the camera, the thing is only 640x480 @ 30fps maximum (oh and the depth sensor is only 320x240).

Hypereides

Gold Member
Looks official. Quite clean, but the colour palette doesnt balance well. Its looking okay.

Also, the slogan while getting the message across, doesnt sound catchy.

clip

I think Kinect is the perfect example of the fragmentation at Microsoft. From the branding and marketing, to the content and games, nothing about it seems like a well thought out, cohesive product.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Actually, in any category of consumer goods, has a purple brand or product ever been successful in the history of mankind? Even counting software and internet services.

Barney and Cadbury are the only ones I can think of.

clip said:
I think Kinect is the perfect example of the fragmentation at Microsoft. From the branding and marketing, to the content and games, nothing about it seems like a well thought out, cohesive product.

You seem to be missing the point. Kinect and its games are supposed to be as far removed from Xbox 360's current image of a core (or even worse, shooter) platform as possible.

Luigiv

Chittagong said:
Actually, in any category of consumer goods, has a purple brand or product ever been successful in the history of mankind? Even counting software and internet services.

Barney and Cadbury are the only ones I can think of.
Purple Gameboys were pretty popular.

clip

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
You seem to be missing the point. Kinect and its games are supposed to be as far removed from Xbox 360's current image of a core (or even worse, shooter) platform as possible.

I don't mean with respect to the 360 itself, I mean Kinect as a stand-alone product. It just feels rushed and half-finished.

serious question:
how should a xbox/ps3/wii person, who is interested in all the motion stuff, fit all these things onto the TV?

clip said:
I don't mean with respect to the 360 itself, I mean Kinect as a stand-alone product. It just feels rushed and half-finished.

I was mostly referring to your fragmentation comment. Anyway, I agree to some extent, it seems to be as rushed as Xbox 360 and even PlayStation 3 were when they launched. Both of those platforms were immensely improved through subsequent firmware updates and the games have come a long way as well. I suspect it will be the same with Kinect, unless it completely fails and Microsoft decides to abandon the platform altogether. That's very unlikely since they seem to be keen on bringing the technology to the PC as well - in other words, they're treating it as a long term investment.

Luigiv

iamaustrian said:
serious question:
how should a xbox/ps3/wii person, who is interested in all the motion stuff, fit all these things onto the TV?
Let's see...

You could probably just stack the Wii sensor bar and PS eye on top of Kinect itself. I mean the damn thing is big enough.

Concept17

So now Kinect games will be in purple cases with a big Kinect logo...and other 360 games will be green and normal? Seems too separate to me.... like why can't you just have Kinect and not a 360? y'know?

glaurung

iamaustrian said:
serious question:
Glue the Wii sensor bar on top of the TV. Set the Kinect camera up on to the left of the TV, the PS Eye to the right.

Actually reading this makes me realize that I will never invest in the Kinect camera. I tend to disconnect and stash the PS Eye in a drawer when not in use. But since the damn Kinect is so big, I would not like to have it anywhere near my classy Bravia.

Heh, it would be pretty crazy if they try to sell 250 GB Kinect bundles. Or if there is no pack ins, but I guess those kind of deals are not the point of the mock-up.

It'd definitely a good idea for MS to bring this stuff out of the gaming section into an isle.

Luigiv said:
Let's see...

You could probably just stack the Wii sensor bar and PS eye on top of Kinect itself. I mean the damn thing is big enough.

You'll need to fasten them down for when the tilt motor kicks in.

glaurung

Here's a million seller for Microsoft:

Set up the Kinect in the middle of the store walkway with a huge screen and the tiger groping game in an advanced attract mode. As soon as a small child walks by, have the tiger jump around, purr and whatnot. The small child stops, realizes that it can fondle the furry animal... SOLD

I really like it! The Green / Purple waves look like fun! Sure no one who wants to buy something like Modern Warefare or Bioshock, .... would switch to buy Kinect just by the looks of that design. But it definitely gets the attention of the Wii-crowd, like I said it just screams ARE YOU HAVING FUN YET, but I do also think those 00,00$ Signs are helping a lot :D

Imagine the Wii packaging next to that, it will look very very boring. Sure that says nothing about the games themselves, but I guess most people buying these games don't read reviews and buy those games just because how they look (not the graphics) and hearsay.

But they better sell those Kinect games for no more than 25 / 30€ because who wants to buy the same Wii games again for a price higher than that.

Top Bottom