• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible boxart for Kinect

Why does the side of the box have so many Kinect pictures on it?

Edit, nvm, was watching this thread from my phone before, the close-up picture makes it much more obvious that it's a display case.

the TMO

pedobear.jpg

Man

It's going to be more fun when they break it open and realize it's mostly empty.
'So you made it big because... ?'

FHIZ

Mcj Metroid said:
does the size REALLY bother people that much?

It's one ofthe last things i'd think of.
The thing can weigh 100 pounds, and I wouldn't care since the entire lineup is composed of "kintect-whatever" ...and deca sports

scitek

Playing the Kinect with someone next to you like what's displayed in that picture really sucks. At E3, there was a mini-game collection on display. One of the games had us playing as a quarterback and these kids would try to tackle you, and to avoid being tackled, you had to literally jump out of the way. My natural inclination was to jump to the left, but the douchebag that I was playing with was right there, so I always got hit because jumping to the right wasn't natural to me. There was another "whack-a-mole" type game that had us hitting and stomping on things on the screen.

The games weren't anything I'd ever pay to play, but they were a good lesson on just how restrictive actually moving in the camera's space with another person next to you can be. I was constantly worried about hitting the other player.

Davey Cakes

I think the purple works. I mean, the ridiculous contrast with the typical XBOX green color really beats you over the head with the fact that Kinect is a new and separate sort of experience from what we've seen before. Anything on the system that displays a lot of purple will be ingrained in people's minds as Kinect-related.

AzBat

Xboxic got more images...

http://www.xboxic.com/news/6315

Looks like they expect more Kinect Adventures sales than the others since they have twice as many. Isn't don't bold well for any of those titles being the pack-in if they are selling them separately.

Anyway I think the marketing materials screams "NEW & EXCITING". Just what the audience they want to be targeting to think. It should sale like gangbusters. My Wii loving sister & brother-in-law have 4 kids (ages 3-11) are all excited about Kinect & Kinectimals.

AzBat

scitek said:
Playing the Kinect with someone next to you like what's displayed in that picture really sucks. At E3, there was a mini-game collection on display. One of the games had us playing as a quarterback and these kids would try to tackle you, and to avoid being tackled, you had to literally jump out of the way. My natural inclination was to jump to the left, but the douchebag that I was playing with was right there, so I always got hit because jumping to the right wasn't natural to me. There was another "whack-a-mole" type game that had us hitting and stomping on things on the screen.

The games weren't anything I'd ever pay to play, but they were a good lesson on just how restrictive actually moving in the camera's space with another person next to you can be. I was constantly worried about hitting the other player.

Hmm. This is the first I've heard of these mini-games. Were they part of Kinect Adventures? There is suppose to be 20 different mini-games included with that. If it's something separate, then those might be the free pack-in games they're planning to include with the sensor. Personally I think one of the 4 1st party titles needs to be bundled with it(Adventures, Sports, Kinectimals or Joy Ride), but judging from those marketing materials it looks like they plan on selling those separately. :(

Jeels

Doesn't this confirm a bundle with the 360 and Kinect in one box? I wonder how much that will retail for.

AzBat said:
Hmm. This is the first I've heard of these mini-games. Were they part of Kinect Adventures? There is suppose to be 20 different mini-games included with that. If it's something separate, then those might be the free pack-in games they're planning to include with the sensor.
It sounds like Warner Bros Interactive's 'Game Party In Motion'. That game in particular has previewed terribly in every hands-on I've read/watched. It looks to be by far the worst out of all of the third party shovelware demoed so far. The first party games, Joyride aside (seems to be fun, but by far the glitchiest software), have been getting almost universal praise so I think it's a safe bet to stick with those, Dance Central, and Your Shape at launch.

AzBat

AzBat said:
Hmm. This is the first I've heard of these mini-games. Were they part of Kinect Adventures?

Looks like the game is "Game Party: In Motion" and it's done by Warner Bros & FarSight Studios. They did Game Party 1, 2 & 3 on Wii. Looks like the 360 version is basically Game Party 3. There are 16 mini-games and some include: Quarterback, Rootbeer Tapper, Smack a Troll, Hoop Shoot, Darts, Table Hockey, Billiard, Croquet, Racquetball, Miniature Golf, Bumper Pool, etc. Doesn't look like something Microsoft would bundle with their sensor.

McHuj

Jeels said:
Doesn't this confirm a bundle with the 360 and Kinect in one box? I wonder how much that will retail for.

If the pics are real, then it looks that way. If the bundle is above 299, Kinect is DOA. The audience MS wants to reach, doesn't own an Xbox and won't at prices above 299.

I actually I think 299 will be too expensive.

AzBat

InaudibleWhispa said:
It sounds like Warner Bros Interactive's 'Game Party In Motion'. That game in particular has previewed terribly in every hands-on I've read/watched. It looks to be by far the worst out of all of the third party shovelware demoed so far.

Yeah, I eventually found it. ;)

InaudibleWhispa said:
The first party games, Joyride aside (seems to be fun, but by far the glitchiest software), have been getting almost universal praise so I think it's a safe bet to stick with those, Dance Central, and Your Shape at launch.

Agreed. Those are the titles that my family & I are looking at. Joy Ride isn't though. I think it makes more sense as a free controller game like they originally planned.

Jeels

McHuj said:
If the pics are real, then it looks that way. If the bundle is above 299, Kinect is DOA. The audience MS wants to reach, doesn't own an Xbox and won't at prices above 299.

Really? That actually sounds good to me. The Wii was 250. You are getting much more for 50 dollars more. Plus, the 360 is currently 300 anyway right, so really you are getting Kinect for free. It sounds better than the 399 for the Move bundle, although it looks like as of right now the Move is being marketed more towards Sony's established base.

knitoe

Given the main target audience for Kinect, display and boxes are correct. Microsoft has to make it very easy to differentiate between regular X360 and Kinect games. That way uniform buyers (parents & kids) won't mix up the two. You know there will still be people having only regular X360 buying Kinect game, taking it back and wondering why it doesn't play. Or, Kinect only users buying regular X360 and can't control it with just Kinect.

AzBat

McHuj said:

Agreed. However, there is definitely more value in the box $299 than the Wii at launch & $250, but Microsoft won't be able to effectively communicate that to their target audience. They'll see the $299 price tag & pass. They really need an Arcade bundle with Kinect at $250 or less. Or an Arcade bundle at $130 & Kinect at $120, but I don't see them releasing an Arcade below $199 since they have said that's their plan.

McHuj

Jeels said:
Really? That actually sounds good to me. The Wii was 250. You are getting much more for 50 dollars more. Plus, the 360 is currently 300 anyway right, so really you are getting Kinect for free. It sounds better than the 399 for the Move bundle, although it looks like as of right now the Move is being marketed more towards Sony's established base.

It might sound good to you, but the person that MS is targeting isn't even considering an Xbox so there's no value added there. I guarantee you that those people won't look at it like Xbox plus free Kinect.

ntropy

AzBat said:
Agreed. However, there is definitely more value in the box $299 than the Wii at launch & $250, but Microsoft won't be able to effectively communicate that to their target audience. They'll see the $299 price tag & pass. They really need an Arcade bundle with Kinect at $250 or less. Or an Arcade bundle at $130 & Kinect at $120, but I don't see them releasing an Arcade below $199 since they have said that's their plan.
not with that shitty launch lineup.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That font they're using is so plain and boring. The purple doesn't help, either.

daemonic

Banned
I find it strange they would use a glossy black as the primary colour for the Kinect camera, it just looks a bit menacing for a product aimed at children/families.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
lastplayed said:
Purple and green. Like the Joker!

Well, everyone think Kinect is just a freak....like him!

Jeels

McHuj said:
It might sound good to you, but the person that MS is targeting isn't even considering an Xbox so there's no value added there. I guarantee you that those people won't look at it like Xbox plus free Kinect.

I definitely understand what you mean, I guess it comes down to Microsoft's marketing. I'm sure the hoards of people that bought HDTVs last Christmas might jump on 299 360 + Kinect if its marketed correctly. It's just that, looking at these towers, I'm just seeing a "here's our peripheral" Wii/EyeToy knock off vibe.

knitoe

McHuj said:
This is where I think many people on GAF has it wrong. They believe Wii offers the same experience as Kinect. Logic goes. Why pay more for the same thing. Thus, price will make a huge difference. Although, both offers motion control, I see Kinect offering major change vs Wii in casual motion control, and thus, enough to outweigh possible $100 difference. If Microsoft can get that message across, $200 vs $300 won't be big deal.

I have been trying to think of a good analogy that can easily sum it up. Best on I can think is take car automatic vs manual transmission. They both allow you to drive. Manual usually gives you offers better gas mileage, control, power, cheaper price and so on. And, yet, why do most people buy automatic at higher cost. It's easier to use.

jagowar

Jeels said:
I definitely understand what you mean, I guess it comes down to Microsoft's marketing. I'm sure the hoards of people that bought HDTVs last Christmas might jump on 299 360 + Kinect if its marketed correctly. It's just that, looking at these towers, I'm just seeing a "here's our peripheral" Wii/EyeToy knock off vibe.

The games may look the same but I think having the whole body stuff (jumping, moving around in space and using your feet/legs) does "look" like a departure from the wii.

They already have bieber doing it at his concerts so you know they have guaranteed sales of millions to teenage girls (who will probably buy dance central with it when his songs are in there and they can do all his dance moves). I also think its very likely oprah will have it on her show near launch (because of the child fitness aspect... fallon alluded to it when kinect was on his show a few weeks ago and it was on nbc national news the next night with that quote) and that will sell another few million. If marketed right assuming the $299 bundle happens I really could see kinect being the "must have" thing this christmas...... there is usually that one thing that parents will go nuts to get and this could be it for 2010.

Suzzopher

I gotta be honest, seeing Microsoft go after this expanded audience is like watching Tarrantino direct an episode of Glee. The two just don't go together. I don't think Microsoft have the know how on attracting this new audience. The device looks cool as something to sit in the media centre of the home but the box art colouring is too busy. One single gentle colour is what is needed. That purple/green hybrid is a little aggressive on the eyes. The games seem to be trying to do what has already been done on Wii(not to the same technical level), the advertising of showing the family in front of the TV is all wrong. You do this by not showing the product and showing it from the other side of the TV.

Seeing Microsoft go this way is really embarrassing for me as a gamer.

Top Bottom