• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible boxart for Kinect

Majine

Banned
InaudibleWhispa said:
capture.jpg
What ever happened to the words "Compatible" and "Required"?

dankir said:
Who decided the color scheme???!?@?! I love the color purple and green but in together??

NO! BAD MICROSOFT BAD!

I've always liked green and purple together, they are good complimentary colours. They aren't using REAL PURPLE though, it's mostly blue, like indigo or something.

Here is what it should look like with REAL PURPLE. Still awful, but that can't be helped.
TNmt3.jpg

Why For?

Banned
So Kinect has come to the stage where it's being bashed for the sake of it now?

There's nothign wrong wit the package design. Yeah it's nothing amazing, revolutionary or clever, but fuck, what did you want?

I've done some package design in my time, and I have a fair idea of the sort of brief that designer would have been given to create that and I can tell you, there isn't TOO much else he probably could have done.

Of course, you'd need to factor in how much time he/she had to do it.

KevinCow

Banned
Majine said:
What ever happened to the words "Compatible" and "Required"?

They're targeting people who think buttons are frightening and confusing. They think words with more than two syllables are too confusing for this crowd.

KevinCow said:
They're targeting people who think buttons are frightening and confusing. They think words with more than two syllables are too confusing for this crowd.

Conventional controllers are too complicated for pick up and play, and unless people want gaming to remain confined to a small audience that has to change.

If you don't spend hours on forums a lot of technology is extremely confusing, no need to be a condescending jerk about it.

noah111

Still Alive
Am I the only one who is instantly reminded of Barney when I see Kinect logos and shit? Maybe that's the market they're going for, though...

14s047.jpg

iamblades

It seriously does look like the kind of graphic design you see in bad pharmaceutical ads.

You have all the bullet points, fake picture of overly happy family, bold bright cheerful colors, and a simple bold font proclaiming a short 1-2 sentence description of your product.

Note, that I'm not blaming the actual designers here, it's likely they were working to a strict plan given down from on high, and they seem to have done a competent job actually arranging it. I'm blaming the marketing and advertising hacks who came up with the plan. It is completely uninspired focus group bullshit.

Razor210

Sentry said:
Am I the only one who is instantly reminded of Barney when I see Kinect logos and shit? Maybe that's the market they're going for, though...

[IMGhttp://i50.tinypic.com/14s047.jpg[/IMG]
The main reason I'm lurking this thread is for the shops.

mj1108

It's as though to cut the costs of R&D they decided to have an intern go and design all the in-store material as that purple and green looks like something you'd find in a newborn baby's diaper.

But of course since GAF doesn't like it or Kinect you know it's going to sell really well.

knitoe said:
This is where I think many people on GAF has it wrong. They believe Wii offers the same experience as Kinect. Logic goes. Why pay more for the same thing. Thus, price will make a huge difference. Although, both offers motion control, I see Kinect offering major change vs Wii in casual motion control, and thus, enough to outweigh possible $100 difference. If Microsoft can get that message across, $200 vs $300 won't be big deal.

I have been trying to think of a good analogy that can easily sum it up. Best on I can think is take car automatic vs manual transmission. They both allow you to drive. Manual usually gives you offers better gas mileage, control, power, cheaper price and so on. And, yet, why do most people buy automatic at higher cost. It's easier to use.

NO.

GAMES GAMES GAMES. Fuck ease of use; the difference between Kinect and Wii has been, is, and always will be the games.

When these two go up against each other in the store, it won't be Kinect Motion vs Wii Motion, It will be Wii Sports Resort vs. Kinectimals or Wii Fit vs. Your Shape. The tech is only the vessel through which to play the games, nothing more.

I have no idea / can't remember if Xbox 360 games packaging is different in the UK than it is in the US. Therefore will the Kinect box art differ in regions?

Why For?

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
So some one deliberately went to the trouble of making it look like it was bent over moping?

I never said they made a good choice.

I'm just telling you guys what the deal is.

Hawk269

To me this is not too bad...pretty catchy in fact, but this is Gaf and this is something to do with Kinect so it is natural for folks around here to shit all over it...it could be a designed by God himself and Gaf would still shit on it...so dont be suprised about all the comments.

nickcv

all this purple hate just makes me think about this

Bart%20vs%20the%20Space%20Mutants.jpg

btw i don't like it either <.<

and the "you are the controller" slogan just makes me think about this:
Sega-Activator-banner.jpg

they should come up with something different, even if i actually understand that none of the casual crowd is going to remember about the activator existence.

knitoe

DeaconKnowledge said:
NO.

GAMES GAMES GAMES. Fuck ease of use; the difference between Kinect and Wii has been, is, and always will be the games.

When these two go up against each other in the store, it won't be Kinect Motion vs Wii Motion, It will be Wii Sports Resort vs. Kinectimals or Wii Fit vs. Your Shape. The tech is only the vessel through which to play the games, nothing more.
Ease if use is why Wii became so popular with casual gamers through Sports / Play. Those aren't my idea of "Games." More like simple tech demo showing casual game play. Take Wii Sports Tennis vs Kinect Sport Tennis. Both don't let you control your character movement. All you do is swing to hit ball. Which one will be easier and more natural for someone having never touch them before? Anyone saying "Fuck ease of use" is ignoring the Wii's current #1 selling point to moms & pops, elderly and so on.

Jeels

knitoe said:
Ease if use is why Wii became so popular with casual gamers through Sports / Play. Those aren't my idea of "Games." More like simple tech demo showing casual game play. Take Wii Sports Tennis vs Kinect Sport Tennis. Both don't let you control your character movement. All you do is swing to hit ball. Which one will be easier and more natural for someone having never touch them before? Anyone saying "Fuck ease of use" is ignoring the Wii's current #1 selling point to moms & pops, elderly and so on.

I don't know about you, but its much "easier" and intuitive for me to pretend my Wiimote is a tennis racket then to pretend I'm holding an imaginary tennis racket. In fact, the latter is just awful and awkward. If you are trying to bring up an ease of use debate, the Wii wins hands down. I can see a lot of people getting up and not having any idea what to do with Kinect and just flailing their body around (which sadly is actually how you play these games).

knitoe

Jeels said:
I don't know about you, but its much "easier" and intuitive for me to pretend my Wiimote is a tennis racket then to pretend I'm holding an imaginary tennis racket. In fact, the latter is just awful and awkward. If you are trying to bring up an ease of use debate, the Wii wins hands down. I can see a lot of people getting up and not having any idea what to do with Kinect and just flailing their body around (which sadly is actually how you play these games).
Why do you have to pretend anything is a tennis racket? Do you really hold Wii remote and pretend it's Tennis racket? When I play real tennis, don't remember having to hit button on the racket to the hit ball... It's trying to mimic real life natural motion in the simplest possible way that's the key to capturing uniform casual gamers.

In all seriousness, Kinect Tennis will be closes to playing hand ball. How many people haven't seen, heard or know how that should be played? Do people go flailing like crazy playing hand ball? Think all this "flailing" myth comes from ricochet demo. When all the balls come flying at you, that's all you can do to hit as many balls as possible. If you are flailing trying to just to hit one ball, either games hit detection is way off or you're not remotely coordinated.

Nintaiyo

Sentry said:

I've always thought this as well. Feels like it's marketed towards 3 year olds.

Speevy

Banned
"Excuse me, I'd like to return this Kinect thing. I'd rather play with a controller."

Gamestop employee: "No, John, you are the controller."

And then John was a camera.

Razor210

Speevy said:
"Excuse me, I'd like to return this Kinect thing. I'd rather play with a controller."

:lol :lol :lol :lol

conman

Purple and green? Makes me think of the stacks of boring ass stuff you see in a computer store. I mean, shit, that graphic design job is about as exciting as this:
042508blogdvdrs.jpg

Concept17

conman said:
Purple and green? Makes me think of the stacks of boring ass stuff you see in a computer store. I mean, shit, that graphic design job is about as exciting as this:
042508blogdvdrs.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking. Not eye-catching or remotely attractive at all. It also just doesn't fit with the ultra shiny black xbox.

ntropy

Speevy said:

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
eek5 said:
I think if stores go for it, it will be a huge win just in terms of floor space.
I think you are only going to see that thing set up at Best Buy, reminds me of some other gaming displayers they have had in the past.

Ashodin

There better not being anything in the boxes, or GameStop will have a trade in fiasco on their hands. Soooo many people bringing Kinect stuff in for cash value :lol :lol

Top Bottom