• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible boxart for Kinect

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
6z2fqh.jpg

Is she promoting a Kinect-game?

expy

Banned
eek5 said:
I think if stores go for it, it will be a huge win just in terms of floor space.
Stores will go for it as long as MS paid enough for the floor space. It's all $$$.

conman

axiomnightmare said:
Looks pretty well made. Should be able to appeal to casuals.
It's been proven again and again that casual gamers go for style over substance when it comes to hardware. And that includes packaging. There's nothing at all stylish about this. If casuals go for it, it'll be because MS has a seriously stylish advertising campaign waiting in the wings.

But if MS's overall branding and marketing are anything like this Office Max-style boxart, they're going to have some serious problems.

EDIT: And to run with this design thing a bit further, who's brilliant idea was it to design sleek black designs for the hardware when the branding was going to be this green-purple-white disaster? Why not do the whole packaging and marketing campaign in black? Or a simple two-tone black and red? Or black and white? But black, white, green, and purple?

The genius of Apple has been the seamless integration of marketing, hardware design, and UI development. That's how you make a sexy product that appeals to the masses. Even Nintendo has tapped into that with the whole look of the "Wii would like to play" campaign, the hip white Wii hardware, and the minimalist whites of the menu system.

Hell, even the current 360 does a better job of matching the console's look to the UI and overall branding. If they're going purple and green, why wouldn't you make the Kinect camera match the color and design? Dumb if true.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
So now people buy products based on their packaging now. The kinect trolls are really reaching now.

Majine said:
What ever happened to the words "Compatible" and "Required"?

Shit man thats confusing better with kinetic what does that meannnnnnnnnnnn.:lol This always gets messy with add ons, i can see alot of people confused as to whats what.

expy

Banned
ralexand said:
So now people buy products based on their packaging now. The kinect trolls are really reaching now.
You would be surprised by how the appearance plays a big role in product purchases.

jaydogg691

After looking at this thread (with a few laughs), I wonder how someone from MS feels when they see people ragging on their product. That comment on how the hardcore will be the first to adopt doesn't look very promising. I would like to trying out the Kinect to see how it works, but I don't think it's something I'll buy. $150 sounds too high for me.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
expy said:
You would be surprised by how the appearance plays a big role in product purchases.
Yes I would. Never once have I decided to buy something and then changed my mind based on a box that's going in a closet or on a trash heap.

mj1108

ralexand said:
Yes I would. Never once have I decided to buy something and then changed my mind based on a box that's going in a closet or on a trash heap.

We're not talking about people on GAF....we're talking about mainstream Joe Q Public.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
jaydogg691 said:
After looking at this thread (with a few laughs), I wonder how someone from MS feels when they see people ragging on their product. That comment on how the hardcore will be the first to adopt doesn't look very promising. I would like to trying out the Kinect to see how it works, but I don't think it's something I'll buy. $150 sounds too high for me.
They're probably remembering how much the hardcore ragged on the Wii. The reality is that kinect is viewed by casuals as that next cool evolution in controllers while the move is viewed as a Wii knockoff. Maybe Sony can change that impression but for now its the kinect that has the mindshare with the general public.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
mj1108 said:
We're not talking about people on GAF....we're talking about mainstream Joe Q Public.
Videogame systems arent impulse purchases. We're not talking about a bottle of water here. Never heard anyone say I was going to buy that videogame system, I knew what games I wanted but then I saw the box it came in and said "no way!" Again you guys are reaching.

knitoe said:
Ease if use is why Wii became so popular with casual gamers through Sports / Play. Those aren't my idea of "Games." More like simple tech demo showing casual game play. Take Wii Sports Tennis vs Kinect Sport Tennis. Both don't let you control your character movement. All you do is swing to hit ball. Which one will be easier and more natural for someone having never touch them before? Anyone saying "Fuck ease of use" is ignoring the Wii's current #1 selling point to moms & pops, elderly and so on.

The millions of people who've bought the Wii don't give a fuck what you consider a game or not, so let's throw that out the window right now.

As for the rest of your point, I don't understand how you could ask that question and come up with "Kinect" as your answer at all. Bowling isn't the act of swinging your arms wildly to knock down pins. Neither is Tennis. How then would Kinect be a closer approximation compared to the Wii (or Move for that matter)? There's absolutely no point of reference for your actions besides what your character does on screen. Simply by having something to hold, The Wii gives the player a tactile response that helps them navigate the game world from their end, in addition to what they interpret on the screen. Kinect only has one frame of reference - what you see before you.

Also, you missed the point of my "fuck ease of use" statement. I'm not saying that ease of use is not important, but you're evaluating two technologies based SOLELY on that one facet, and not by the metric by which they will be evaluated in the store: the game library. In that regard, no matter how you slice it, Kinect will fall short of the Wii every time.

so1337

“No! I must kill the controller” he shouted
The radio said “No, John. You are the controller”
And then John was a controller.

Kurtofan

Hanmik said:
I´m realy sorry.. But all I see when I look at that is this..

upside_down_cross_bag-p1498173475050561002w948_210.jpg

I sure don´t hope I offend anybody.. but that is what I see...
This is the Saint Peter Cross.
It has nothing to do with satanism and it isn't offensive.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Now? No, it's been at that stage ever since the Cirque du Soleil performance.

This and every other Kinect thread =
riverofslime.jpg
Ghostbusters 2 reference, nice.

Do I believe Kinect will be immensely popular for years to come? I'm not sure. But I do believe it'll be this year's "Furby" or "Tickle me Elmo". By the end of the year, everyone's gonna know the name "Kinect" and every kid is gonna want one.

conman said:
It's been proven again and again that casual gamers go for style over substance when it comes to hardware.

No, it hasn't. Casual gamers go for software, just like any other gamer.

The condescension to so-called "casual gamers" is precisely how we end up with style over substance. Because companies think they can throw shit in a box and sell it to a consumer that they don't even understand.

Aegus

Green and purple only works on robots and Buzz Lightyear. Get rid of the White or go with with a much darker purple and brighter green.

TheDuce22

Banned
jaydogg691 said:

Its cute how you think neogaf is in any way relevant. I would be willing to bet 80% of the posts in this thread are teenagers fighting the good fight in the system warz.

PowderedToast

i feel there's a major disconnect between the design of the actual products and the marketing behind them. the camera and 360 wouldn't look out of place with an alienware logo while the packaging reminds me of a bargain supermarket store. it doesn't feel cohesive at all. i understand why they couldn't go white due to the wii but black was a bad choice, it gives off a sense of techy elitism like a sony product, which is the opposite of what they want.

ralexand said:
Videogame systems arent impulse purchases. We're not talking about a bottle of water here. Never heard anyone say I was going to buy that videogame system, I knew what games I wanted but then I saw the box it came in and said "no way!" Again you guys are reaching.

I sometimes buy games based on boxart. Not as much now as before I used the internet to track game releases, but I still do.
The purpose of the package is to get peoples attention and make them interested in the product. Not everyone will buy this solely on seeing the advertisements. There will be people who walk into the store and base their impressions on what they see there.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
RPG_Fanatic said:
I sometimes buy games based on boxart. Not as much now as before I used the internet to track game releases, but I still do.
The purpose of the package is to get peoples attention and make them interested in the product. Not everyone will buy this solely on seeing the advertisements. There will be people who walk into the store and base their impressions on what they see there.
Maybe something in the bargain bin but I can't think of a worst reason to buy a game. People will buy a kinect because their friends buy it and invite a group of friends over and have fun playing the games while most likely being drunk. Then it will spread like a virus.

panda21

i really don't understand why they went with black, if you were choosing a colour to appeal to the kinect market that would be the last one to pick.

The box ad looks fine. Gaf is being goofy about this shit. It's got pretty colors and a decent aesthetic to get people to look at it and then the picture of the phony family having fun sells it. The rest is up to everything else but the ad is fine and does the job.

The only thing weird and poorly done here is when the person that bought this product open it up and find black consoles. But that's all after the fact. By the time you see the console, you bought it. Now would have been a great time to release colorful consoles to pair off with the motion control stuff.

And ralexland is right. If kinect is going to work it needs to have word of mouth/play-at-someone-else's-place appeal. That's how the Wii became big and that's how all silly socially driven gimmicks get big. Is it going to be a hit? I don't think so but not because of a lack of decent advertising. People are or aren't going to be impressed when they play this at their neighbor's place. That's the sink or swim factor. Everything else just has to get the job done and not get in the way.

panda21 said:
i really don't understand why they went with black, if you were choosing a colour to appeal to the kinect market that would be the last one to pick.
Because it's designed to sit under the TV in the living room. Regardless of the fact that it is aimed at children and families, the sensor has to fit in with most set-ups and black is the most neutral colour for that. Personally I wouldn't want anything but black to sit under my black TV, on top of my cabinet holding a black PS3, black Wii and black 360.

panda21

InaudibleWhispa said:
Because it's designed to sit under the TV in the living room. Regardless of the fact that it is aimed at children and families, the sensor has to fit in with most set-ups and black is the most neutral colour for that. Personally I wouldn't want anything but black to sit under my black TV, on top of my cabinet holding a black PS3, black Wii and black 360.

but thats not something the audience its aimed at will think about when they are buying it. it ought to appeal to them to look at, not look like a 2000$ AV reciever.

mj1108 said:

And that mainstream likes bright, shiny colors for their families. These are the exact types of displays (bright, catchy, contrasting but complimenting colors) that will make you look at them, pick up a box and see what it is. I mean, people asking for a black and red scheme? Really?

I know hating on Kinect is cool as shit these days but that color scheme is EXACTLY what they want to go for. The box screams family and the color of the device will match their TV/HDTV. It's a great crossing of marketing. People who want something don't give a shit about packaging (i.e the 8 'hardcore' people who are going to buy Kinect at this point) but with this color scheme it's just 'fun' and 'inviting' ...

Purple and Green are on opposite sides of the color spectrum (contrasting) and those are the color combinations you use to be highly visible.

panda21 said:
but thats not something the audience its aimed at will think about when they are buying it. it ought to appeal to them to look at, not look like a 2000$ AV reciever.

But it WILL appeal to them. It matches all the Ikea furniture they bought to hold up their HDTV. You make it sound like casuals can't buy black electronic devices when 99% of all electronic devices come (or are in) black.

You don't need a purple camera with green stripes to be appreciated once it's in your setup.

panda21 said:
I really don't think it matters. It's certainly not enough to put anyone off. I don't think I recall anyone out of my family or friends particularly commenting on the Wii or Wii remote in terms of how they look. They just care about what it does. I know that they would complain if they had a bright purple Kinect sensor sitting under their black TV though, or any other bright "family-friendly" colour.

legbone

FStop7 said:
This thing is going to bomb so hard.

Sadly i think you may be right. I personally hope it sells like gangbusters. The reason being i am not ready for a new console launch at this time. Hear me out. If this thing bombs then microsoft will most likely ramp up work on the new system (whatever it may be called) and release it earlier than they want. this means it will probably be as prone to failure as the 360 (launch not s). they had just better hope that kinect is a reliable piece of hardware (as well as the new s).

edit: and i think it looks ok for what it's worth.

panda21

flyinpiranha said:
But it WILL appeal to them. It matches all the Ikea furniture they bought to hold up their HDTV. You make it sound like casuals can't buy black electronic devices when 99% of all electronic devices come (or are in) black.

You don't need a purple camera with green stripes to be appreciated once it's in your setup.

i'm thinking about it from the perspective of being a kids toy (kinectimals etc) or for people who don't traditionally play games (wii sports/fit kind of market). you don't want to buy a kids toy that looks like a cable box, it makes it look expensive and not for kids.

i think you're more thinking of casual gamers who play stuff like ass creed and COD:MW 5667544, in which case i agree.

InaudibleWhispa said:
I really don't think it matters. It's certainly not enough to put anyone off. I don't think I recall anyone out of my family or friends particularly commenting on the Wii or Wii remote in terms of how they look. They just care about what it does. I know that they would complain if they had a bright purple Kinect sensor sitting under their black TV though, or any other bright "family-friendly" colour.

but i think a big part of the wii is the image in those cultish looking pristine white adverts. if it looked like a cd-i it would be a lot less popular. its like the apple marketing.

15dxqu9.jpg

i'm not saying it should be purple but they are missing a fairly significant part of the wii marketing by making it look like a giant webcam.

edit: i mean i guess they could get away with this and maybe it would help it fit in with more casual/serious type gamers but they have the big ugly black thing plastered all over that purple/green box.

Adam J.

Making the sensor black was a no-brainer. Most peoples TVs are black, so it only makes sense that they would want the damn thing to match since it's supposed to be a permanent fixture in the living room. Still don't get why the new console design is so "exteeeeeeme!". MS prolly said to themselves, "looks guys, we ain't Nintendo and we sures hell ain't Apple, let's just do what we do best and go for the ugly/quasi-futuristic look".

panda21 said:
i'm thinking about it from the perspective of being a kids toy (kinectimals etc) or for people who don't traditionally play games (wii sports/fit kind of market). you don't want to buy a kids toy that looks like a cable box, it makes it look expensive and not for kids.

But it's not a kids toy. It's a family experience©. It's something for the whole family and most kids that will use it aren't going to be the ones buying it. If this thing was a purple and green plastic thing that has to be visible I doubt many families would want that in their living room.

While it IS being marketed towards children, it still has to be appealing to the adults who will put this into their living room. Plus I imagine other color schemes might happen eventually.

Top Bottom