• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible N64 mini leak [reddit]

caffeware

Banned

boq2ffjm3xr11.jpg

Last edited:
Does look the part. Also seems too complicated for a 3D print to me, but then again the speculation that an N64 version would be coming has been out there for quite a while and Nintendo fans are in a class of their own in terms of passion for this stuff.

I skipped the N64 for some reason, which completely escapes me. Went C64, NES, SNES, Playstation, Dreamcast, etc, etc. Anyway, my point is that other than Goldeneye and Zelda, I wasn't really aware of any standout N64 games. So I just googled it to see what's what. I was very, very wrong. Sign me up for one of these.

Wasn't interested originally but am now seeing the pics.

It would make perfect sense for Nintendo to release this up against the PS1 Classic because at least that way the graphics on both platforms would be ass when people compared them.

Killer751

Banned
I skipped the N64 for some reason, which completely escapes me. Went C64, NES, SNES, Playstation, Dreamcast, etc, etc. Anyway, my point is that other than Goldeneye and Zelda, I wasn't really aware of any standout N64 games. So I just googled it to see what's what. I was very, very wrong. Sign me up for one of these.

The Playstation existed.

We're going to see the Playstation destroy the Nintendo 64 in the current year. I cannot wait.

JimboJones

If it does exist the only thing that will bum me out is there is no way they will be able to fit 2 controllers in those tiny boxes.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Someone should look up those part numbers on the screenshots and conclude if its a legit Mini or just a Nintendo 64 case mod with USB ports.

do these mini consoles output at high resolution or do they keep it at 240p like the originals
They use NERD developed emulators to scale up to HD resolutions. So far the NES/SNES Classic rely on a Allwinner R16 SoC system on a chip, with 4x Cortex A7 ARM cores, a Mali 400 MP2 GPU, and 256 MB DDR3.

Vastly more powerful than a Wii, but for proper N64 emulation? Doubtful.

nkarafo

They should use 1080p/native resolution for the screen and 480p internal resolution for the games. Not too sharp but not too blurry either. Coupled with a decent CRT filter this should be ideal for N64 IMO,

Virex

Banned
Same for me. Skipped the N64. But would definitely get an N64 mini

Breakage

The N64 was never a good-looking console, but those hideous controller ports and the tacky pull-out strip make this mini look worse than the original.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
The N64 was never a good-looking console, but those hideous controller ports and the tacky pull-out strip make this mini look worse than the original.
How dare you. The N64 looks amazing. It looked so damn next-gen when it came out and it still looks nice now. Have the same opinion as me or else.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
the artifacts you see is what you get when you take a snappy with a phone from a screen

TEAM REAL !!

stranno

Its hard to belive that Nintendo has found a cheap yet decently performance SOC for Nintendo 64 emulation. Especially considering the problems of previous VC emulators on Wii and WiiU (glitches, frameskip, etc).

Playstation Classic is an easy thing because its probably just a PSTV in other case. But i havent seen a decent N64 emulator from Nintendo ... ever?

Of course i want to belive this is real but IDK..

Last edited:

Thurible

YEEESSSSSS!!!!!!! Good, good. I would like to seem some classics uprezzed to hd. Personally, I'm looking forward more to a gamecube or gameboy mini since I already own a n64 (but the video quality is blurry as heck), and own many n64 games on the wii u vc, but this is absolutely fantastic!

With the n64 mini and playstation classic it looks like a lot of classic games are going to have the spotlight again. :messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:

Come on Zelda! (Nintendo would be absolutely stupid to not have Oot and Mm on the system)

Whats the deal with Rare games? Can they be on there? We all know that even if that's the case Goldeneye can't be on there due to likely licensing issues.

Porcile

Whats the deal with Rare games? Can they be on there? We all know that even if that's the case Goldeneye can't be on there due to likely licensing issues.

What's an N64 without Goldeneye and RARE games? Everyone understands those games were the lifeblood of the machine especially when it comes to nostalgia. Nintendo and MS need to make it happen. It benefits everyone. I'm pretty confident Microsoft will allow those games on it.

Akuza89

Wonder how "mini" it'll actually be...

I assume it'd have to be similar sizing to the others to be classed as a "mini" but, I find it hard to see them pushing the needed power needed to smoothly play n64 games..

PhoenixTank

True, but Nintendo was a bit desperate on that one and probably doing a hype machine type thing.
Maybe. My memory is a bit foggy but the rumours started floating around the same time that Nvidia flat out cancelled the Shield Tablet 2. That wasn't a hype thing.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member

Microsoft might say yes if Nintendo comes to the table and doesn't block their Goldeneye remaster again, or they might regardless when they've been so nice lately. The machine is pointless without the RARE titles but all the rare titles can already be played better than this machine will be capable of on xbox already so who knows really.

Meesh

I just hope it's got Wave Race, Mischief Makers, the Zeldas and Kart racers.... no chance for Beetle Adventure racing.... give me some DK, Paper Mario and Percect Dark. Turok??

With any luck they'll give us some JPN games?

93xfan

Banned
Same for me. Skipped the N64. But would definitely get an N64 mini

Yep. I deeply regretted getting a PS1 after spending a long time with Mario 64 in a toys r us.

In the end, I just regret not getting both systems (but I don’t think my parents would have gone for that, given all the convincing I had to do to get them to allow me to get a PS1.

ExpandKong

Banned
That dumb flap is just as ugly here as it is on my SNES mini so yeah I believe this. Can’t wait to mod some games onto this thing.

PS1 gonna beat the shit out of the N64 again.

What a time to still be alive.

Hey now, the N64 was no Wii U let’s not act like it didn’t get in a few good punches.

Petrae

What games would an N64 mini have?

My guess:

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Pokémon Snap
F-Zero X
Paper Mario
Kirby 64
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart 64
Mario Golf
Mario Party 2
Pokémon Puzzle League
Wave Race 64
Star Fox 64
Yoshi’s Story
1080 Snowboarding

RARE games, like Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Diddy Kong Racing, and maybe Donkey Kong 64, could make it if Nintendo pays Microsoft enough. GoldenEye won’t make it due to licensing red tape, and the same goes for WWF and WCW games. Perfect Dark, being M-rated, takes it out of contention.

It’d be interesting if Konami backed it with Castlevania and/or Goemon games, but that’s asking a lot.

Solomeena

Banned
My guess:

RARE games, like Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Diddy Kong Racing, and maybe Donkey Kong 64, could make it if Nintendo pays Microsoft enough. GoldenEye won’t make it due to licensing red tape, and the same goes for WWF and WCW games. Perfect Dark, being M-rated, takes it out of contention.

Why would Nintendo need to pay MS for anything Donkey Kong? Nintendo owns Donkey Kong outright.

hecatomb

Banned
Nintendo does own the rights to DK country games and anything DK, they only let rare make a few DK country games. I doubt Perfect dark will be on the mini though, since its rated M, and I don't think Nintendo owns the rights to it.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Yeah that's real. It even has the cheap plastic look that the NES mini and SNES mini had. I still don't believe the N64 library is strong enough to justify a system like this. The NES and SNES worked just because of the sheer quantity of awesome games. If the N64 had had a library like that, it would have been a bigger success than it was.

hecatomb

Banned
Yeah that's real. It even has the cheap plastic look that the NES mini and SNES mini had. I still don't believe the N64 library is strong enough to justify a system like this. The NES and SNES worked just because of the sheer quantity of awesome games. If the N64 had had a library like that, it would have been a bigger success than it was.
N64 was really successful, and had a lot of good games, just cause you didn't like them doesn't mean others didn't. PS1 pretty much beat everyone though, Nintendo and Sega.

dirthead

Banned
N64 was really successful, and had a lot of good games, just cause you didn't like them doesn't mean others didn't. PS1 pretty much beat everyone though, Nintendo and Sega.

Depends on how you define successful. The N64 cost Nintendo its position at the top of the console heap and basically shitcanned its relationship with 3rd party developers. Maybe it made money, but I wouldn't call it a success compared to the previous systems.

hecatomb

Banned
Depends on how you define successful. The N64 cost Nintendo its position at the top of the console heap and basically shitcanned its relationship with 3rd party developers. Maybe it made money, but I wouldn't call it a success compared to the previous systems.
That was even before N64, since Nintendo wanted all companies to have the Nintendo seal on their video games, and have control, it made a lot of 3rd party companies want to move to other consoles. N64 had some of the best games at the time, and people still talk about them, like mario 64, Both Zelda games, mario kart, golden eye, perfect dark are just a few games. In no way though was the N64 a failure, and still got games from capcom like RE2 and megaman legends, mischief makers, turok 2, doom 64, and Ogrebattle 64 also.
Sega couldn't keep up with PS1, and Saturn failed in America also.

Last edited:

Hudo

I'll be very happy if they manage to put Pokemon Snap, Sin & Punishment, Majora's Mask and Paper Mario on that thing.

Good thinking by whoever took this snapshot. I only see a phone number and a generic product ID.
Whenever leaking Nintendo shit, ALWAYS cover the serials, bar codes, unique numbers, everything of that nature. They patented in the nineties a method that relies on these to narrow down not only retailers, but even individual small batches. They used it countless times to identify leakers (even consumers) or shops that break street date, or insiders.

Nintendo is ruthless when it comes to leaks. Some review copies of major N64 games where physically chained to the console, and the console itself chained to a Nintendo representative. You can't make this up.

Top Bottom