• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible N64 mini leak [reddit]

MP!

Not really if you frequented arcade games and played on a computer with a decent 3D card for third party games that appeared on all 3.
no offense intended... but what 3D card ran ocarina of time or Mario? ... or any of the rare games?... I never bought an n64... but I borrowed one many times... Wish I had the money for multiple systems back then

hecatomb

Banned
Here's the list of what we got for virtual console

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Star Fox 64
F-Zero X
Paper Mario
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story
Sin and Punishment
Pokémon Snap
1080° Snowboarding
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Cruis'n USA
Pokémon Puzzle League
Mario Golf
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Super Smash Bros.
Ogre Battle 64
Mario Tennis
Mario Party 2
Bomberman Hero

other 1st party Options
Pilotwings 64
Zelda Master Quest
Dr. Mario 64
Excite Bike 64

I imagine the list will probably be similar, unless they manage to work out some deals with a few companies

If Rare/MS is on board... your choice of
GoldenEye 007
Diddy Kong Racing
Perfect Dark
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
Blast Corps
DK 64
Jet Force Gemini
Killer Instinct Gold

I don't think conker would make it... Also I bet they would favor older more ... "Dead" franchises like JetForce and blast corps than Something they currently have alive like Killer instinct.

Other Great titles That likely won't make it
Harvest Moon 64
NFL BLitz
NBA hangtime
Beetle Racing
Star Wars: Shadows of the empire
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Episode I Racer
Turok games
Army Men Games
Resident Evils

I really think it would be amazing if they released the 64DD games like Mario Artist
Im 99% sure they are not going to add M-rated games, so even if they got rare, there still would be no perfect dark, KI Gold, or Conkers Bad Fur day, RE2, Doom64, or Turok 2, or any M-rated game.

Last edited:

ar0s

in Europe Nintendo really got big with the N64

What? PlayStation destroyed N64 in Europe and started the PS Europe domination. Nintendo got big in EU with SNES, even though it finished second overall.

no offense intended... but what 3D card ran ocarina of time or Mario? ... or any of the rare games?... I never bought an n64... but I borrowed one many times... Wish I had the money for multiple systems back then

I had n64 coming from SNES and absolutely hated it. PC was by far the best option for gaming in that gen, even with no console exclusives. Just comparing games like the original GTA or Carmageddon or Duke 3D to the garbage versions pushed on PS/64 told you everything you needed to know. I would actually take PC exclusive games of that gen over Nintendo or Sony 1st party stuff.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned

OoT did run on UltraHLE back then, which was perhaps the most impressive console emulation achievement ever. I skipped it but was impressed back then

What? PlayStation destroyed N64 in Europe and started the PS Europe domination. Nintendo got big in EU with SNES, even though it finished second overall.

I had n64 coming from SNES and absolutely hated it. PC was by far the best option for gaming in that gen, even with no console exclusives. Just comparing games like the original GTA or Carmageddon or Duke 3D to the garbage versions pushed on PS/64 told you everything you needed to know. I would actually take PC exclusive games of that gen over Nintendo or Sony 1st party stuff.

NES was basically non existent in Europe.
SNES was decent, but N64 sold early the same in Europe.

I already said Playsation was always bigger. But to this date N64 is still the Nintendo home console in Europe for many.

Last edited:
One thing will be really, really interesting is if they don't go for the "100% as it was" emulation with 10 FPS, fog and all that crap.

Even just bumping up the internal resolution twice and locking the FPS at 30 would make such an amazing leap for these games because those hardware issues can be overcame via emulation.

MP!

Im 99% sure they are not going to add M-rated games, so even if they got rare, there still would be no perfect dark, KI Gold, or Conkers Bad Fur day, RE2, Doom64, or Turok 2, or any M-rated game.
I agree... I didn't remember those were M... scratch those off the list

ar0s

NES was basically non existent in Europe.
SNES was decent, but N64 sold early the same in Europe.

I already said Playsation was always bigger. But to this date N64 is still the Nintendo home console in Europe for many.

Remember the market grew massively during the PS gen meaning n64 selling the same as SNES was an utter failure.

50% of £1bn market = £500m & success
5% of £10bn market = £500m & complete failure in shareholders' eyes

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
I agree... I didn't remember those were M... scratch those off the list
I dont know why perfect dark was rated M. Though I'm sure now days it would be rated T. I also don't remember Turok 2 being that violent, since you are only killing dinosaur creatures, and other monsters.

Petrae

I dont know why perfect dark was rated M. Though I'm sure now days it would be rated T. I also don't remember Turok 2 being that violent, since you are only killing dinosaur creatures, and other monsters.

Perfect Dark was rated for modern standards by the ESRB for the Xbox One (Xbox 360 backwards compatibility) and it’s still an M rating: http://esrb.org/ratings/search.aspx?from=home&titleOrPublisher=Perfect+dark

It would be a sticky wicket for Nintendo to include even one M-rated game on the N64 Classic, and I don’t think they bother. If Nintendo and Microsoft can work out an arrangement, I can see the Banjo games, Jet Force Gemini, and perhaps Blast Corps making the cut.

The same ratings problem also affects the Turok games, which were also re-released for the Xbox One. The M rating stuck, so these are most likely off the table.

hecatomb

Banned
I think they kept them at M-rating cause they would have to resend them back to the ESRB. If those games came out today I'm sure they would be rated T

nkarafo

I also can't understand why PD is M-rated. Maybe the death animations are too long and detailed? Turok 2 is a bit over the top with the gore, despite not having human enemies. There's also the cerebral bore.

Breakage

How dare you. The N64 looks amazing. It looked so damn next-gen when it came out and it still looks nice now. Have the same opinion as me or else.
Hah, I've long thought it looks like a block of plastic that was warped in a fire. It's just an odd-looking console compared to the (sleeker) PlayStation.

Last edited:

RScrewed

I hope this is fake. Please allow my original N64 controllers to plug into the real classic. This new re-release proprietary controller port thing is getting ridiculous. It was okay on the SNES since it came standard with two controllers bundled in, but I doubt the N64 mini will come with 4 bundled in.

Now I'll need (3?) extra controllers for a system which I already own and already have controllers laying around, but the plugs aren't compatible?

Top Bottom