• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible N64 mini leak [reddit]

nkarafo

Depends on how you define successful. The N64 cost Nintendo its position at the top of the console heap and basically shitcanned its relationship with 3rd party developers. Maybe it made money, but I wouldn't call it a success compared to the previous systems.
Ιt wasn't just the N64's fault though. It was mostly the Playstation. That thing simply destroyed anything else in it's path. How much better do you think the N64 would end up if it was CD based? Sure, maybe a bit better but hey, the Saturn was CD based too and it ended up even worse in the end. Plus, you are mistaken that Nintendo was "at the top" in the mid 90's. That was during the NES days only. Before the Playstation it was basically a Sega and Nintendo tie.

No matter what Nintendo would do, the N64 would still end up a distant 2nd place. At least it survived and gave Sony some competition, unlike the pathetic performance of Sega, Atari and all the others. Being able to survive during the Playstation regime is considered a success in my book. I mean, they didn't lose money, afaik the N64 era was very profitable for Nintendo, plus, they released some of their finest 1st party titles ever on that thing.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
PS1 gonna beat the shit out of the N64 again.

What a time to still be alive.
Imagine continuing the same platform war years after both original consoles were discontinued.

Seriously, what a cheap drive-by.

Yeah that's real. It even has the cheap plastic look that the NES mini and SNES mini had. I still don't believe the N64 library is strong enough to justify a system like this. The NES and SNES worked just because of the sheer quantity of awesome games. If the N64 had had a library like that, it would have been a bigger success than it was.
If you geniunely can't come up with the reasoning why a N64 mini could be a thing than wow. How about Jet Force Gemini, Mario Kart, Turok.. Goldeneye.

The N64 had an amazing list of top titles - less than the NES and SNES yes, but if you can't even see why a Classic of the N64 can be justified then joke's on you mate.

All I have been thinking about for years now is a GameCube mini with Eternal Darkness on it in 1080p.
Replicating the PPC/Gekko could only be done in a FPGA, or, if one still would use ARM, you would need significantly more powerful hardware than the system Nintendo is using now.

When do you guys think the Saturn mini is coming out?
Its not even announced yet, so? :p
There is the Playmaji Polymega console that will have a Saturn emulator, but the Polymega is basically a low end PC in a fancy shell with Linux based OS. (No really, its just a PC, uses a Pentium G5500, UHD 630 graphics, 4 GB DDR4) but thats about it.

Saturn's unusual hardware design is not that great for emulation, so you would be better off implementing the logic in a FPGA.

My guess:

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Pokémon Snap
F-Zero X
Paper Mario
Kirby 64
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart 64
Mario Golf
Mario Party 2
Pokémon Puzzle League
Wave Race 64
Star Fox 64
Yoshi’s Story
1080 Snowboarding

RARE games, like Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Diddy Kong Racing, and maybe Donkey Kong 64, could make it if Nintendo pays Microsoft enough. GoldenEye won’t make it due to licensing red tape, and the same goes for WWF and WCW games. Perfect Dark, being M-rated, takes it out of contention.

It’d be interesting if Konami backed it with Castlevania and/or Goemon games, but that’s asking a lot.

Without Golden Eye that console would be an instant no buy.
It has to be in there.
Even more than Banjo or Donkey Kong

Yeah that's real. It even has the cheap plastic look that the NES mini and SNES mini had. I still don't believe the N64 library is strong enough to justify a system like this. The NES and SNES worked just because of the sheer quantity of awesome games. If the N64 had had a library like that, it would have been a bigger success than it was.

N64 had arguably the best lineup ever for a Nintendo console.
But this probably heavily depends the region you're from.
Japan and America is vastly different than Europe. But in Europe Nintendo really got big with the N64

Last edited:

mneuro

I will buy it regardless, but it seems impossible for it to have GoldenEye or Wwf No Mercy, which are two of the biggest reason to buy an N64. I also don't see Nintendo paying Microsoft to get the rare games. This will basically be a Mario and Mario kart machine

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I will buy it regardless, but it seems impossible for it to have GoldenEye or Wwf No Mercy, which are two of the biggest reason to buy an N64. I also don't see Nintendo paying Microsoft to get the rare games. This will basically be a Mario and Mario kart machine

I really hope this isn't the way Nintendo goes about it. GoldenEye is an N64 game and a hugely important one at that. All rights holders would stand to benefit greatly if they manage to work out a deal and get it on there. Sure Nintendo may have pay some licensing fees/royalties with those games but think about how many more consoles they would sell. They'd end up better off.

mneuro

I really hope this isn't the way Nintendo goes about it. GoldenEye is an N64 game and a hugely important one at that. All rights holders would stand to benefit greatly if they manage to work out a deal and get it on there. Sure Nintendo may have pay some licensing fees/royalties with those games but think about how many more consoles they would sell. They'd end up better off.
If I remember correctly, there have been issues in the past trying to get GoldenEye on virtual console. That GoldenEye remake was done because it's basically impossible to work out who has the proper rights to what with GoldenEye between Microsoft, Nintendo, Rare and Activision. This is also based on a movie and uses the likenesses of actors. There is a giant web of issues that need to be solved

Last edited:

nkarafo

Japan and America is vastly different than Europe. But in Europe Nintendo really got big with the N64
Pretty sure N64's biggest success was in USA. In Europe it was meh and in Japan it was shit.

You can tell by looking at it's third party games. It has an awesome line up of US developed games but it's probably the console with the worst Japanese 3rd party support ever. Most Japan only games that never got released worldwide are shovelware. And even the ones that got released aren't great. You won't see many 3rd party Japanese games in top 10 lists. Sin & Punishement and Mishchief Makers are probaby the best ones. Other than that it's mostly 1st party, RARE and US 3rd party games.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
If I remember correctly, there have been issues in the past trying to get GoldenEye on virtual console. That GoldenEye remake was done because it's basically impossible to work out who has the proper rights to what with GoldenEye between Microsoft, Nintendo, Rare and Activision. This is also based on a movie and uses the likenesses of actors. There is a giant web of issues that need to be solved

Yeah I understand there are a lot of parties involved but all stand to benefit if a deal can be worked out.

N64 is my favourite system but releasing a mini classic without Rare games especially GoldenEye would be hugely disappointing imo...

Pretty sure N64's biggest success was in USA. In Europe it was meh and in Japan it was shit.

You can tell by looking at it's third party games. It has an awesome line up of US developed games but it's probably the console with the worst Japanese 3rd party support ever. Most Japan only games that never got released worldwide are shovelware. And even the ones that got released aren't great. You won't see many 3rd party Japanese games in top 10 lists. Sin & Punishement and Mishchief Makers are probaby the best ones. Other than that it's mostly 1st party, RARE and US 3rd party games.

That was not the point i was making.
The point was, that Nintendo was a thing before in the USA and Japan, but not Europe as much.
Consoles picked up way less and Sony was always soooo huge and bigger in Europe.

Silvawuff

I think the N64 was one of Nintendo's best consoles. I have many fond memories of playing this with friends, and will happily day one this thing if it turns out to be real. If it's fake, it's nicely done!

Petrae

GoldenEye would be miraculous, given all of the moving parts in terms of licensing. I won’t say it’s impossible, but improbable is a better description.

WWF No Mercy (and WWF Wrestlemania 2000) has a ton of issues, too. Individual wrestler/talent licensing, THQ no longer existing, WWE licensing now belonging to Take-Two... it’s ugly. And, with WCW falling under the WWE umbrella, the same issues exist for WCW/nWo Revenge.

There’s a better chance that Nintendo and Microsoft work something out for Banjo-Kazooie/Banjo-Tooie, Jet Force Gemini, and/or Blast Corps. Perfect Dark is a likely non-starter because of its M rating by the ESRB.

Iced Arcade

Will be interesting if Nintendo works with MS on this for the rare titles. Which I can see happening.

Would be kind of a weird 64 without rare

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
The games I would like to be included are Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and... umm... were there any more games released on this thing?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Imagine a world where Microsoft and Nintendo work in hand, and allow rare games on the system with goldeneye in exchange for goldeneye on Xbox...

The world would explode and I would piss myself... twice.

ChildActress

Neo Member
I had both systems, I preferred the ps over the n64 blurry graphics, still had great games.

Tuesday we will prob hear something from Nintendo of America

I skipped the N64 for some reason, which completely escapes me. Went C64, NES, SNES, Playstation, Dreamcast, etc, etc. Anyway, my point is that other than Goldeneye and Zelda, I wasn't really aware of any standout N64 games. So I just googled it to see what's what. I was very, very wrong. Sign me up for one of these.
You not like Cruisin USA or the Turok games

KellyM

The Playstation existed.

We're going to see the Playstation destroy the Nintendo 64 in the current year. I cannot wait.
Maybe...I know I am more interested in the N64 classic mini then the Playstation classic because I never played the N64. I don't see the Playstation classic having all the rpgs the original did.

Solomeena

Banned

There is no point in releasing the N64mini if it is just going to be a Mario lineup. They need GoldenEye, they need Star Wars Shadows of the Empire, etc...

Hudo

The games I would like to be included are Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and... umm... were there any more games released on this thing?

Pokemon Snap
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 3D
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Donkey Kong 64
Paper Mario
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (better than Ocarina, IMHO)
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Diddy Kong Racing
F-Zero X
StarFox 64
GoldenEye 007
Super Smash Bros.
Wave Race 64
Kirby 64
Body Harvest
Resident Evil 2 (The port was actually pretty solid)
Jet Force Gemini
1080 Snowboarding
Sin & Punishment (One of the best games by Treasure, IMHO)
Bangai-O
(I've omitted shooters like the Turok games or Doom 64 because the PC versions are better, IMHO).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Pokemon Snap
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 3D
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Donkey Kong 64
Paper Mario
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (better than Ocarina, IMHO)
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Diddy Kong Racing
F-Zero X
StarFox 64
GoldenEye 007
Super Smash Bros.
Wave Race 64
Kirby 64
Body Harvest
Resident Evil 2 (The port was actually pretty solid)
Jet Force Gemini
1080 Snowboarding
Sin & Punishment (One of the best games by Treasure, IMHO)
Bangai-O
(I've omitted shooters like the Turok games or Doom 64 because the PC versions are better, IMHO).

What PC version of DOOM 64? Beside mods of existing games you need to buy and stitch together? Turok and DOOM 64 should make the cut, definitely over Resident Evil 64 a reduced port of the PSOne version albeit a brilliant optimisation work to ensure the FMV and music tracks and the assets all fit.

Last edited:

Hudo

What PC version of DOOM 64? Beside mods of existing games you need to buy and stitch together? Turok and DOOM 64 should make the cut, definitely over Resident Evil 64 a reduced port of the PSOne version.
Doom 64 EX.

EDIT: Also, that list is just an example of additional games because I am quite tired of the argument that the N64 "had no games". Yes, the Playstation had more games but as a PC gamer for all my life, the games for the Playstation that you can't play on PC are only a few. Many of those few are Sony's first-party games and I have never really found Sony's fist-party games that interesting. But that is a subjective thing and I realise that for many, the Playstation was the ultimate thing to play on. That's fine. But the N64 wasn't bad either. And so was the Sega Saturn.

Last edited:

Hudo

You need to own the DOOM 64 ROM for it anyways... I would rather play it on the N64 mini or on a VC like part of the Nintendo Online service on Switch.

N64 without DOOM 64, Turok, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, etc... is not The proper real N64 ;).
Then you should add those games to your list :D

Saturn's unusual hardware design is not that great for emulation, so you would be better off implementing the logic in a FPGA.
The mednafen saturn emulator developer helped one of those cheaper raspberry consoles make something that runs at acceptable speeds on real hardware, the redream dreamcast developer already contributed with some commercial games, and Sega is interested in Saturn/DC emulation. I might happen sooner than you think.

Most Japan only games that never got released worldwide are shovelware.
They got moved to the n64dd that then suddenly got defacto cancelled (insane delays until a mail-order 2000 limited release). A lot of these planned games were released on the gba and gamecube instead. Then Yamauchi started insulting japanese developers, announced his dream team of n64 devs that was only westerners, and went on a rage against the jrpg genre. As a result, n64 got some early support by various jp developers (a bunch of enix releases) that then dried up very quickly around 1998 except some konami exclusives and late capcom ports and first party games.

DiscoJer

Back in the day I bought a N64 just for Ogre Battle 64. It was worth it.

My hands were too big for the controllers to play action games. I loved Beetle Adventure Racing but the tops of my hands would rub against the bottom of the controller and I would get friction burns.

MilkyJoe

What's an N64 without Goldeneye and RARE games? Everyone understands those games were the lifeblood of the machine especially when it comes to nostalgia. Nintendo and MS need to make it happen. It benefits everyone. I'm pretty confident Microsoft will allow those games on it.

And then maybe Nintendo wil allow MS to release Goldeneye 64 remastered.

Let's not forget Forza Horizon 4 has James Bond licencing...

soon... I hope...

Redneckerz

The mednafen saturn emulator developer helped one of those cheaper raspberry consoles make something that runs at acceptable speeds on real hardware, the redream dreamcast developer already contributed with some commercial games, and Sega is interested in Saturn/DC emulation. I might happen sooner than you think.
But is it very accurate or are we talking about adequate performance but subject to bugs?

But is it very accurate or are we talking about adequate performance but subject to bugs?
Nintendo's VC and Sony's PSN emulators never bothered about the kind of "accuracy" often talked about much in emulation circles.
Just enough accuracy to run the offered games bug-free, and game specific fixes, is usually enough.

Why would Nintendo care that their NES emulator doesn't support Konami's edutainment cards, Epoch's Piano, or the unlicensed Chinese Final Fantasy VII?
Likewise the only official regular cartridge games that went over 4MB on SNES were Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean, which Namco/Square only sell anymore on Sony system as ports, and they don't care particularly much about the shadows in a single game that's obscure low budget american software by defunct publishers.
If you expect that accurate emulation you won't find it on official solutions.
It's always specific games offered, not an emulator for everything on the library (which the closest thing to, is Steam's Proton, and as a feature unsupported by developers.)

Redneckerz

Nintendo's VC and Sony's PSN emulators never bothered about the kind of "accuracy" often talked about much in emulation circles.
Just enough accuracy to run the offered games bug-free, and game specific fixes, is usually enough.

Why would Nintendo care that their NES emulator doesn't support Konami's edutainment cards, Epoch's Piano, or the unlicensed Chinese Final Fantasy VII?
Likewise the only official regular cartridge games that went over 4MB on SNES were Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean, which Namco/Square only sell anymore on Sony system as ports, and they don't care particularly much about the shadows in a single game that's obscure low budget american software by defunct publishers.
If you expect that accurate emulation you won't find it on official solutions.
It's always specific games offered, not an emulator for everything on the library (which the closest thing to, is Steam's Proton, and as a feature unsupported by developers.)
I was not specifically critical of your opinion, mind you :) Not up to snuff regarding Mednafen's Saturn core, i was under the impression that (for a long time apparently) Saturn emulation was quite a bitch to do. If that's improved, then that's good news, ofcourse. :)

Hudo

So, if this thing is real and if Nintendo still want this to come out this year, when could we expect an announcement? Because I actually don't expect a Direct till December (With the exception of game-specific Directs for Smash Bros. and Pokemon).

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Very interested in the pad and whether it will have a different design or built in rubble of some form.

But I have to admit the biggest thing I want is a game boy classic, with lots of games built in. That would be awesome.

Sapiens

If they somehow release this with a version of Goldeneye in it that runs at least 30 fps consistently, it will be huge. I doubt it though.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I would love to get stuff like no mercy, but they would have to change the rom as Chris Benoit is still in the game.

They would probably have to do similar things with goldeneye and changing out the actors textures making it more trouble then it’s worth.

I bought my N64 during the middle of PS2 lifecycle, $10 at EB Games, a stack of them right by the counter near Christmas, I couldn't believe it, the one I grabbed came in the original box with everything you'd find in an N64 box like it was new, it looked like it had been used maybe twice. Best gaming find of my life (so far) of course during its time I played at friends houses, McDonalds... remember those kiosks? and my boss's house when I looked after his place.

This might be the first mini console I attempt to add more games too when it comes out, in specific GoldenEye... licensing issues be damned those sound like Microsoft/ Nintendo problems, not me problems.

In my own opinion these pics look pretty legit, its only a matter of time.

Last edited:

KellyM

My guess:

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Pokémon Snap
F-Zero X
Paper Mario
Kirby 64
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart 64
Mario Golf
Mario Party 2
Pokémon Puzzle League
Wave Race 64
Star Fox 64
Yoshi’s Story
1080 Snowboarding

RARE games, like Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Diddy Kong Racing, and maybe Donkey Kong 64, could make it if Nintendo pays Microsoft enough. GoldenEye won’t make it due to licensing red tape, and the same goes for WWF and WCW games. Perfect Dark, being M-rated, takes it out of contention.

It’d be interesting if Konami backed it with Castlevania and/or Goemon games, but that’s asking a lot.
Actually, since Nintendo owns Donkey Kong they can put Donkey Kong 64 own it. It is like how the Super Nes Mini has Donkey Kong country programmed by Rare. They could even put Diddy Kong racing own the system without Banjo in it, They did that for Nintendo DS. Games like Banjo-Kazooie Rare and Microsoft owns the trademark. So I would add, Majora's Mask and Donkey Kong 64 to your list.

MP!

Here's the list of what we got for virtual console

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Star Fox 64
F-Zero X
Paper Mario
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story
Sin and Punishment
Pokémon Snap
1080° Snowboarding
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Cruis'n USA
Pokémon Puzzle League
Mario Golf
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Super Smash Bros.
Ogre Battle 64
Mario Tennis
Mario Party 2
Bomberman Hero

other 1st party Options
Pilotwings 64
Zelda Master Quest
Dr. Mario 64
Excite Bike 64

I imagine the list will probably be similar, unless they manage to work out some deals with a few companies

If Rare/MS is on board... your choice of
GoldenEye 007
Diddy Kong Racing
Perfect Dark
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
Blast Corps
DK 64
Jet Force Gemini
Killer Instinct Gold

I don't think conker would make it... Also I bet they would favor older more ... "Dead" franchises like JetForce and blast corps than Something they currently have alive like Killer instinct.

Other Great titles That likely won't make it
Harvest Moon 64
NFL BLitz
NBA hangtime
Beetle Racing
Star Wars: Shadows of the empire
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Episode I Racer
Turok games
Army Men Games
Resident Evils

I really think it would be amazing if they released the 64DD games like Mario Artist

Last edited:

Hudo

What's actually up with the 007 license? The last 007 game was published by Activision, right? Do they still have the license?
Ironically enough, getting a "go-ahead" from Microsoft for the Rare games might be easier than getting that 007 license thing sorted out.

Top Bottom