• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Xbox Game Pass rebranding as "Microsoft Game Pass"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If they're looking to expand it to other platforms, it sounds like a reasonable change.

If Xbox as a brand had any worth, they wouldn't have to change the name. It's not like it's going to be on Playstation or Nintendo hardware.........right?

mckmas8808

Yeah, there's no way GameStop made this ad by themselves...

They put on their site what MS sends them.....

Like any advertiser does

My wife is a social media influencer. And YES....these corporations tell you what to type on something like this. And 99% of the time it has to get pre-approval first. So looks like Gamestop just jumped the gun early.

DJ12

wouldnt game pass on playstation kill off the ps plus thing sony has? i dont think youd see it on nintendo either
Does ea play affect ps +

Judging by my gamepass sub, EA games are usually the best on it.

A Microsoft gamepass with just Microsoft games on it isn't really appealing to me, probs others too. Although I guess if CoD goes on it there would be takers

mckmas8808

Does ea play affect ps +

Judging by my gamepass sub, EA games are usually the best on it.

A Microsoft gamepass with just Microsoft games on it isn't really appealing to me, probs others too. Although I guess if CoD goes on it there would be takers

Sony would never pay to have most of those games on Playstation GamePass day one though.

Kokoloko85

Sony allows other publishers to have sub services on their platform. Maybe if Microsoft did the same thing but only with their 1st party titles it would be accepted. Not to mention adding the option to buy those titles as well.

Just a thought.

Said this years ago when Phil said he wants gamepass everywhere.
Its the only way it would works. Like EA/Ubisoft

pixelation

mkXHI2Q.png

iorek21

The thing is, MS tried to brute force themselves into the market with all those acquisitions and it still didn’t catch enough of people’s attention.

Sony and Nintendo are still the leaders in the market and their exclusives - despite sometimes being questioned - still hold prestige among press and gamers.

Not only that, but the studios MS purchased are yet to release a hit, and it seems like they still won’t for quite some time.

It’s the recipe for disaster. You either accept the loss with Gamepass like Uber did for years or put your games into other consoles.

Three

The thing is, MS tried to brute force themselves into the market with all those acquisitions and it still didn’t catch enough of people’s attention.
They haven't even done anything with their latest one for anybody to care.

Topher

Gold Member
GameStop change the name last year and no one noticed.

Last year Xbox fans were not nervous wrecks about the future of Xbox. But yeah....this is meaningless.

A slip of the tongue is all it takes to get 6+ pages round here. :D

Around here? Pretty much anything referencing Xbox is going to be blowing up gaming discussions everywhere until Microsoft decides to clear things up for everyone my man. This ain't a GAF thing.

Last edited:
Called it a month or so ago when hardware sales were out. Xbox as a brand name is quite toxic. Pc gamepass when it launch around south east asia was lauded because of regional pricing and is regarded pretty well among pc folks here. Xbox? Dead brand.

Killjoy-NL

wouldnt game pass on playstation kill off the ps plus thing sony has? i dont think youd see it on nintendo either
MS would bleed crazy money getting GP on both Nintendo and Playstation with 3rd party included.

Besides, Nintendo and Sony wouldn’t allow that, unless MS would them crazy amounts of money.

Three

MS would bleed crazy money getting GP on both Nintendo and Playstation with 3rd party included.

Besides, Nintendo and Sony wouldn’t allow that, unless MS would them crazy amounts of money.
The only way it would work is if they have a publisher based one like EA Play with their own games only. Even then they're unlikely to accept. They were reluctant with EA for a while (When it was still called EA access) so a direct competitor like MS would be even more difficult.

Killjoy-NL

The only way it would work is if they have a publisher based one like EA Play with their own games only. Even then they're unlikely to accept. They were reluctant with EA for a while (When it was still called EA access) so a direct competitor like MS would be even more difficult.
Tbh, if I were Sony or Nintendo, I would reject it flat-out, no matter in what form MS want to do it.

If MS exits as a platform-holder, everybody knows MS will re-enter the moment they see a new opportunity or make move to compete directly again.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
$10 says Sony demanded this for an eventual bespoke version of Gamepass on Playstation.

Doesn't really fit into Sony's (or Nintendo's) business plan. Be easier for MS to move a mountain than get GP on there. But Sony demanded the change...hope you won't miss your ten bucks

ArcaneNLSC

The writing is on the wall but the diehard Xbox faithful don't disappoint in their continued delusions, it's quite something

HL6opHg.jpg
Might be handy upcoming job from Phil if he is to get fired he's probably heard about those chicks who get $50,000 a week to sell fasrts in a jar and figured he's probably got enough of a fanbase of loyalists who'd pay that we'd know adamsapple adamsapple would pay $20,000 a week for a drip of Phil's cum like it was bull jzz.

How is it that we have heard literally nothing official from MS on the matter other than that there is some upcoming announcement, and people are coming away with epic meltdowns, hysterics, xbox is doomed, the demise of xbox, xbox is tarnished beyond repair, and more. Xbox isn't going anywhere. They haven't even released half of their big exclusives (Fable, Everwild, Hellblade, Indiana Jones, and more). You don't throw in the towel before the race is over. All I see are the most ridiculous of hot takes.

Mephisto40

How is it that we have heard literally nothing official from MS on the matter other than that there is some upcoming announcement, and people are coming away with epic meltdowns, hysterics, xbox is doomed, the demise of xbox, xbox is tarnished beyond repair, and more. Xbox isn't going anywhere. They haven't even released half of their big exclusives (Fable, Everwild, Hellblade, Indiana Jones, and more). You don't throw in the towel before the race is over. All I see are the most ridiculous of hot takes.
Which ridiculous hot takes are those?

Top Bottom