• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Xbox Game Pass rebranding as "Microsoft Game Pass"

DJ12

The website is fixed and now says "Xbox game Pass"

Either an intern fucked up badly at a crucial time, or shit is going down

GIF by Sky
Imagine if they do change the name next week rofl.

Papa_Wisdom

NiGHTS is absolute genius and the great game in history and also the greatest Christmas game in history as well. I S-tiered the fuck out of that masterpiece. The Wii sequel was so disappointing. Most SEGA revivals are.
I bought a wii specifically for the nights sequel! And yeah sadly it was disappointing.

I have 2 copies of Xmas nights as well in the cardboard sleeve.

We’ve completely gone off on our on tangent in this thread.

I have a huge Dreamcast collection in storage. Even got the black case (top only) that was released on the Japanese dreamarena which you used those points you got when you bought a game.

Had to import one of those sega sport Dreamcasts for the u.s so I had the bottom half to match.
78N0doO.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a wii specifically for the nights sequel! And yeah sadly it was disappointing.

I have 2 copies of Xmas nights as well in the cardboard sleeve.

We’ve completely gone off on our on tangent in this thread.

I have a huge Dreamcast collection in storage. Even got the black case (top only) that was released on the Japanese dreamarena which you used those points you got when you bought a game.

Had to import one of those sega sport Dreamcasts for the u.s so I had the bottom half to match.
78N0doO.jpg
Sexy. Dreamcast 2 gonna be so good now that Xbox is dead.

Per usual, it's just nomenclature. It has no material impact on us as consumers whatsoever. People always stress themselves out over minor business changes like this, I just don't get it. Xbox consoles are not going away. If that's what people are really worried about, you are upset over something that's not happening.

Move on with your day and continue enjoying your favorite console(s) of choice and the amazing games that you enjoy on them.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Per usual, it's just nomenclature. It has no material impact on us as consumers whatsoever. People always stress themselves out over minor business changes like this, I just don't get it. Xbox consoles are not going away. If that's what people are really worried about, you are upset over something that's not happening.

Move on with your day and continue enjoying your favorite console(s) of choice and the amazing games that you enjoy on them.
Get this logic out of my face this very instant before I get even angrier than I already am concerning this company!

Huge hit or buried under a tombstone?
Neither of the above. It's literally just a name change, if it's even happening. Game Pass is their primary focus in the gaming space, and has been for years. It is popular, it is not going away. Consoles are important, but they are secondary. Everyone already knows that consoles don't make money, and haven't for years. They're subsidized by the manufacturers in order to sell accessories, software & subscriptions.

Last edited:

if they substantially devalue their own console , and I say if, who’s going to buy it in future to make any new console a worthwhile investment from both Microsoft and the consumer?

It’s alright saying it’s not going away but who’s going to buy it when there are objectively far better options out there?

I don’t want that to happen, I want the console to be the best it can be

Last edited:

Withnail

I think this might be much better for Xbox fans than people seem to think. It could be part of getting Activision games on to Game Pass, since Activision is part of MS but not part of Xbox.

I expect all the drama queens on Twitter will quickly come around when everything is revealed next week.

if they substantially devalue their own console , and I say if, who’s going to buy it in future to make any new console a worthwhile investment from both Microsoft and the consumer?

It’s alright saying it’s not going away but who’s going to buy it when there are objectively far better options out there?

I don’t want that to happen, I want the console to be the best it can be
I have a series X, and no desire whatsoever to buy a PS5 unless they announce like a Bloodborne remake or a ghost of Tsushima 2. beyond that there’s nothing out there that I can’t live without. I think series X is a great console, and it’s far better hardware than the Xbox One ever was. I’m super happy with it and glad that it’s finally getting some solid first party games.

Outside of some minor disappointment software-wise the first half of this generation, I’m not really sure on the epic disappointment that some people seem to be experiencing with their hardware this cycle.

I have a series X, and no desire whatsoever to buy a PS5 unless they announce like a Bloodborne remake or a ghost of Tsushima 2. beyond that there’s nothing out there that I can’t live without. I think series X is a great console, and it’s far better hardware than the Xbox One ever was. I’m super happy with it and glad that it’s finally getting some solid first party games.

Outside of some minor disappointment software-wise the first half of this generation, I’m not really sure on the epic disappointment that some people seem to be experiencing with their hardware this cycle.

That’s not what I asked you tho dude , I didn’t ask you your thoughts on Series X.

Last edited:
Isn’t that just a collective for Game Pass? PC Game pass isn’t called XBox is it?

I would love a name change though. Xbox is terrible. Although so is PlayStation, I think that’s actually worse…

That’s not what I asked you tho dude , I didn’t ask you your thoughts on Series X.
You’re asking who is going to buy an Xbox? Literally millions of people. As I just explained. including myself. I don’t know what else I could say. You clearly don’t think that people are going to buy one, but objectively speaking millions of people buy them and they will continue to sell just fine, as they currently already do.

Last edited:
Isn’t that just a collective for Game Pass? PC Game pass isn’t called XBox is it?

I would love a name change though. Xbox is terrible. Although so is PlayStation, I think that’s actually worse…
Correct. It changed to PC Game Pass a few years ago. It was originally called Xbox Game Pass for PC or something awful like that.

spons

Gold Member
Bring back Don. He was a damn fool, but no one can deny his good looks and genius marketing strategies.
Dude had a vision. One that didn't involve gaming much, but a vision nonetheless. Phil Spencer was general manager of Xbox Europe in the 00s, something that should immediately be a red flag considering their investments in that region were (and are) net zero. Rare went nowhere at all under his management, and Molyneux' studio doesn't even exist anymore. Nice work, bro.

You’re asking who is going to buy an Xbox? Literally millions of people. As I just explained. including myself. I don’t know what else I could say. You clearly don’t think that people are going to buy one, but objectively speaking millions of people buy them and they will continue to sell just fine, as they currently already do.

What does fine mean?

Two consoles, one has a library of games, the other has potentially a significant library of the other consoles games, plus their own exclusive titles and all the usual third party offerings? What’s the better offer?

The sales can’t be that good and that’s without the potential announcements next week

I have Series X too

Over 200k gamerscore, been there since OG dude

spons

Gold Member
OK, so you don’t actually have anything to say, then. You’re just being an asshole. So let’s move on with our day then.
Don't worry, we'll be back to regular shitposting when all of this blows over. Xbox can be killed only once, in a few weeks everything's back to normal. Sans Microsoft in the gaming industry, but shit happens.

TheMan

well, seeing as how gamepass is almost definitely the future of microsoft gaming given the company wide emphasis on services, this simple name change really does foretell a major shift in their xbox games business

Markio128

Gold Member

Well, PlayStation at worst sounds like a station you play on. Xbox sounds like a box that once was.

Three

Sony allows other publishers to have sub services on their platform. Maybe if Microsoft did the same thing but only with their 1st party titles it would be accepted. Not to mention adding the option to buy those titles as well.

Just a thought.
I threw this idea to icerock icerock but he seems pretty confident that they are not doing a gamepass on other platforms. He has better sources.

Top Bottom