• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Xbox Game Pass rebranding as "Microsoft Game Pass"

Gudji

Well I said it in a previous post that it needed rebranding and people laughed at me.

well lets be fair I said it needed branding on PC only but you get the gist

But boys I called it on January 7th. Who wants to touch me.

Ae7OdRH.png
spank blink 182 GIF

Saber

Sounds stupid, but at the same time makes sense because people are very likely to remember the name Microsoft. And since they did all that damage to the Xbox brand, would be logical to change to a name that isn't a laughing stock.

mcjmetroid

Let's be real though.
I'm no fanboy but this is what I was trying to explain in my previous post a month ago.

The Xbox brand name is not associated with top dog or highest quality to the average consumer anymore.
They're better off in my estimation going with something new and trying a rebrand. It might work, it might not but the XBOX name itself has been tarnished and driven through the mud.

Nintendo for instance ditched the name "Gameboy" which I never expected them to for the DS and Gameboys left on a far higher note than this will. A gamble perhaps but it worked.

I also think the name "Xbox" in general and this may be a personal opinion but it's a very 90s/00s sounding name for a service or console.
PlayStation is too but it's again associated with a top brand to the average consumer.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Sounds stupid, but at the same time makes sense because people are very likely to remember the name Microsoft. And since they did all that damage to the Xbox brand, would be logical to change to a name that isn't a laughing stock.
On the other hand, "Microsoft" isn't really connected to gaming in the average consumers eyes and if the Xbox brand will be discontinued, using "Xbox games" to sell the "Microsoft GamePass" might not have as much pull as "Xbox GamePass" (which already isn't really taking off).

//DEVIL//

Honestly, I am surprised it took this long. I mean, Where the fuck Xbox is in my PC ? All I get is an Xbox icon that has no meaning and no purpose on windows.

It make sense to call it Microsoft gsmepass. It has more power to it. Just like apple arcade or apple game pass. Not iPhone game pass.

But of course. We will get the retards throwing Xbox in the washroom and shit for drama.

Last edited:

Saber

On the other hand, "Microsoft" isn't really connected to gaming in the average consumers eyes and if the Xbox brand will be discontinued, using "Xbox games" to sell the "Microsoft GamePass" might not have as much pull as "Xbox GamePass" (which already isn't really taking off).

Hence why I think its stupid.
If true I can only guess thats the move from blacksuits there. The most smart choice would be just call GP, since its basically what people recite.

Last edited:

schaft0620

How are we coming to a conclusion that they are dropping the Xbox name on an old marketing image where they mention Xbox 3 times.

Top Bottom