• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Xbox Game Pass rebranding as "Microsoft Game Pass"

Allandor

When pretty much everybody is reporting the same thing, it's safe to say that these are more than just rumours
Or they all have the same source. There are always so many rumors and most are never correct. But as we are all humans (at least I hope so ;) ) we just remember the times when the rumors were correct.

Just skip it until it is official. MS gamepass would make sense as I never understood why on PC it is also called Xbox...

RaZoR No1

Probably they will not use Xbox for Gamepass because like the Studios / Branches, they have Xbox, Bethesda and ABK
Microsoft would include all 3 of them in one.
Isnt Phil the head of Microsoft Gaming and not Xbox anymore?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
So.....it seems like it's becoming more clear now. Microsoft Game Pass on PS5 and Switch with a various group of titles. Lesser powered games for Switch (HiFi Rush) and maybe some older Xbox games on GP on the PS5 (Hellblade, Starfield). I still think new 1st party games will be exclusive to XSX for 6 months or so (Hellblade 2, Indiana Jones and Avowed)

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Seems like more interesting games have been on Steam lately. I think the AAA space is dying (if not already mostly dead), and the indies and AA games will thrive on Switch and Steam (and Steam Deck). Smaller games are more original, cheaper and quicker to make.

Schmick

Says Xbox Game Pass from this link

E4hLVC8.jpg

DJ12

BlackTron

How is it that we have heard literally nothing official from MS on the matter other than that there is some upcoming announcement, and people are coming away with epic meltdowns, hysterics, xbox is doomed, the demise of xbox, xbox is tarnished beyond repair, and more. Xbox isn't going anywhere. They haven't even released half of their big exclusives (Fable, Everwild, Hellblade, Indiana Jones, and more). You don't throw in the towel before the race is over. All I see are the most ridiculous of hot takes.

Anyone else read this and want to buy this man a pity beer?

radewagon

Gamepass will come to PS with just the the Microsoft game studios games
If it does, let's hope they also let us buy the games outright. Crossing fingers for physical media. Let's also hope that the gamepass games aren't offered as some form of streaming content. I'm half expecting that to be the solution because it's the laziest option and it would work on Switch too. Honestly, nothing about gamepass on non-MS consoles sounds appealing to me.

But please let me have a PS5 disc copy of the new Indy game.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Wait, around 2nd page influencers started saying its just a typo.
I then check last page and we are back to doom talk.
What the hell is going on?
Even though it called that last year by Gamestop

Even though those people have said it was just a mistake

You know what's going on :)

DavidGzz

Meh Xbox has been trash competition for Sony anyway

There is a reason PS tries so hard and was concerned about the ABK buyout. Just because Xbox failed to deliver, doesn't mean it wasn't motivation for Sony. With no other powerful console, they can rest on their laurels and have another PS3 launch with zero repercussions.

sendit

There is a reason PS tries so hard and was concerned about the ABK buyout. Just because Xbox failed to deliver, doesn't mean it wasn't motivation for Sony. With no other powerful console, they can rest on their laurels and have another PS3 launch with zero repercussions.
Good. The sooner Sony puts day one releases on PC from their AAA studios, I will cease to have any reason to own a console and double dipping when they do eventually release on PC.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yeah, right.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
With no Xbox360 the end of the PS3 gen wouldn't have been as good. But you can pretend I'm wrong.
That's irrelevant to your prediction. Fact is the 360 did exist and Sony paid for the higher price.

No clue if there won't be another powerful console, and if there won't be, what that would mean. But, it seems you can predict the future. :p

Last edited:

DavidGzz

That's irrelevant to your prediction, but you can pretend otherwise.

Without competition, exactly why does Sony have to spend money to win us over? Why can't the PS6 have the same kind of launch as the PS3 and still sell like hotcakes? They can with no direct competition. But you're right man lol

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Without competition, exactly why does Sony have to spend money to win us over? Why can't the PS6 have the same kind of launch as the PS3 and still sell like hotcakes? They can with no direct competition. But you're right man lol
They'll have no competition? That's interesting. Tell us more.

DavidGzz

They'll have no competition? That's interesting. Tell us more.

For the people who buy consoles only, the casuals who are the vast majority of their sales, nope. Not without Xbox. Nintendo is in their own world. For the CoD, Madden, Fortnite gamer, a weak handheld isn't their main focus.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
For the people who buy consoles only, the casuals who are the vast majority of their sales, nope. Not without Xbox. Nintendo is in their own world. For the CoD, Madden, Fortnite gamer, a weak handheld isn't their main focus.
In other words, all hypothetical.

Once next week's event has happened, we can revisit the discussion.

Audiophile

Even if it eventually refers only to software and not an actual box; and even with all the failures, I still think "Xbox" is a great sounding gaming sub-brand, it's a great logo.

When I think "Microsoft [insert something]" I just think Office, which is boring.

"Microsoft" Gaming or whatever is denoted just sounds dull.

Microsoft as a brand name is stronger than XBOX as a brand name. This is a fact, and it seems like Microsoft is going to play to that. It's not a surprise and in line with Microsoft becoming more of a services oriented company (Azure, AI, Office, Microsoft 365, etc) as opposed to just Windows and XBOX.

Microsoft Gaming / Microsoft Game Pass makes a lot more sense for cross-platform gaming service / cross platform game releases than XBOX, as XBOX is associated with the stand alone console and not a service. The future of gaming isn't constricted to consoles anymore but intellectual property and services. Microsoft has much more of that than SONY or Nintendo. This is why Microsoft is "ending the console war" and creating a new one.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

The rumors of internal division continue. Microsoft has had enough and is taking control of this failed experiment.

Elysium44

Banned
Where does it say that? The Xbox and Steam store pages still say Xbox Game Studios. The PS5 store page just says Microsoft corporation.

Top Bottom