• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black History Month - Post Traumatic Slave syndrome by Dr Joy deGruy Leary

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohepcat

Banned
It may seem arrogant, but it isn't. It was a follow up to the arguments thrown in the Tennessee BLM thread. If you didn't see that thread which was referenced, you missed a large amount of the context.

Fair enough.

Sorry about that. Reading it with that in mind makes more sense.

Infinite

I see. Cheers. There was a thread on GAF last year where some white guy wanted to hear about racism, but made the thread specific to black people, like he was only interested to hear about black people suffering.

And a few Asian gaffers, and other minorities said: 'what about us?' The feeling was that not only were minorities facing racism, but due to white guilt against black racism, their asian voice was given even lesser credence. Worse if you're Muslim and Asian. Don't get no breathing room anywhere in the world at the moment. Hated and discriminated where ever you go.

I think in that instance it was made worse because, coincidently, in the Asian OT, we were just discussing how common place racism against asians was on GAF and in the media. And nobody.. okay more accurately, it appeared that more people get away with racism against asians on gaf.

Coming back to the above link,* it's interesting because, one of the posters would only talk about it (racism on gaf) in the Asian OT; they did this because they considered Asian OT a safe space and even created a list of of racist posts off site. I then just posted all those posts my self, cause I don't really see why I should be afraid of gaf posters. People do make assumptions. But whatever.

Being of Asian origin [well I have all gene pools really], I'll add that Asians can be racist too, so if I am, just point it out, and it'll be better that way, so I can learn from that.

Yes. This was me just bumping the thread. But also I had something to say!

edit: * this link:

i think it's good if asian gaffers actually make thread about anti asian racism. the last thread i remember about this tbh are affirmative action threads and suey park

Ashes

Banned
Yeah, I only really brought it up because of Liu Kang's links. Sorry for the derail, carry on with the main thrust of the topic. Good stuff.

bump

Joriaan

Neo Member
Non-American here, but still watching out of interest in the phenomenon. Besides, my people are partly responsible for kick-starting the slave trade, acknowledging and understanding the problems this caused down the line is important. Thanks for the link, man.

Khaz

Apartheid in the USA ended officially in like 1964, many people are still living witnesses of that era, many more are children of people who lived in that era and were educated with frightening ideas about "the negro". Saying it's something that belongs to the past, or that slavery was just a blip in the history of America is stupid.

Dai101

Banned
Oh whoops, I thought it was just in another thread, not the topic of another thread. Should probably be merged with that thread.

Nah is OK. The more people knows about this the better.

Also is not like those threads get that much attention anyway.

Malyse

America had the least amount of slaves in the shortest amount of time in human history. Just saying this for no reason.

raw

The psuedoscience is exactly why the modern fealty to science scares and worries me, because although science can be imperative and investigative, it can also give rise to....what's described in that video.

Yes. That was a very informative part. About those two fools who separated people into the 4/5 kinds or classes of man. Linnaeus and someone other fool.

Or that they assumed since the skulls of people are white, that white people must be the original humans!

Haha.

All of it relating back to her central point thoughout the entire video of cognitive dissonance.

The doctor has said a lot about cognitive dissonance.

Here's her talking exclusively about it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNRnctOyS8w

Newline

Cognitive what? That's right.

This has honestly changed my perspective on racism, such a great watch. I think this topic is going to eat up a few of my audible book tokens.

atr0cious

If any topic should have lttp threads its this one. Book just came in today, and the truth bombs start before you even get to chapter 1.

BigDes

Going to give the video a watch when I get home from work tonight.

Anyone know if there is a digital versions of a the book? I wont be able to get a physical copy where I am and i want to read this.

Just watched the whole thing. Wow.

I did not know about the chains on the Statue of Liberty or the Ellis Island stuff about "non-voluntary immigrants". Fucking bullshit whitewashing.

All the stuff she had to say about identity was beautiful. Also about how the first step to healing is knowledge, basically to expose all this concealed shit out in the open and talk about it.

Thank you for posting.

I started watching this series but I'm only on part 3 of 5 at the moment, after reading Cindi Mayweather's thread where the OP's videos was originally posted.

She talks about her experience in South Africa just after Nelson Mandela was elected and expecting more division and anger and being met with hope from both blacks and whites, even though Apartheid had only just officially ended. Her attributing that to the fact that South Africa had the rest of the world focused on their unjust system sort of resonated with a connection that I'd felt between how Germany had to come to terms with the Nazis because of the scrutiny of the rest of the world, whereas Europe and the US's brutal slave history has never really been fully acknowledged.

Being a white guy from the UK, it's also piqued my interest in how the legacy of slavery has manifested in the psyche of Britain. I've only had time to do some preliminary googling which has only really turned up the historical side of the actual slave trade, although I did learn something I never knew, the Bank of England was founded by profits from slave traders, which is unsettling.

Breads

Banned
America had the least amount of slaves in the shortest amount of time in human history. Just saying this for no reason.

Funny. I hear this and "slavery happened x years ago" a lot and only in within a very specific context. What are the odds that people are randomly coming up with these same observations worded almost the same way every time.

Feels like it isn't random at all.

Essay

Before watching this at the start of last week (amazing talk, passed it on in a heart beat), I had been reading through The Final Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada. Lots of parallels to be drawn between the subject of the Aboriginal Canadian experience, and I'm hoping the postcolonial discourse that is gaining momentum Stateside gets heard up here too. We at least elected the party that promised the hardest (if that means anything in politics) to follow through on the recommendations of the report, but it's obviously something that has to occur at a grassroots level too. That's exactly why content like Dr. Degruy Leary's is so important.

The doctor has said a lot about cognitive dissonance.

Here's her talking exclusively about it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNRnctOyS8w

Another great talk. The point she arrives at by the 24-minute mark has strong implications with respect to how cognitive dissonance (in this case, not wanting to be confronted with the of slavery momento on Lady Liberty) works to undermine conflict resolution and face-saving opportunities down the road. I think the more and more people drive this idea home, the harder and harder it will get for people to avoid the difficult conversations about things like race.

Why is that a good thing? Because—and Joy hints at this she mentions the importance on focusing on relationships—the strength of a communicative tradition between two groups is the strongest predictor of how effectively they will depolarize in conflict. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the fluency with which two groups can discuss these sorts of things isn't going to be built up by lack of practice and avoiding the big questions.

atr0cious

I understand why this book has very little exposure despite being out since 2005. This shit gets too real. Just got to the part where the book implies that the myth of black's smelling bad/weird is because enslaved women were raped so often they'd have untreated venereal diseases.

I understand why this book has very little exposure despite being out since 2005. This shit gets too real. Just got to the part where the book implies that the myth of black's smelling bad/weird is because enslaved women were raped so often they'd have untreated venereal diseases.
Fuck..

Mael

Watched it last night.
I didn't think I could have as much contempt in me for what USA was and represent or the complicit behavior of all the rich smug waste of skins that exploited, excused and justified what happened there.
It is the very image of Evil starring at us from the void.
I totally understand why everyone wants to avert their eyes, the scale, the minutiae and the industrial nature of the abuse(it's not even close enough word to capture the level of concentrated evil that was on display) is staggering.
It is said that the human mind cannot wrap its head around concepts like infinity or stuffs like that.
If there is karma (and I think at this point we can dismiss the notion) everything the US has and stands for will be made a mockery of, stolen in the most humiliating manner and finally destroyed.
It's an outrage and I lack the words to express the anger at the realization of what colonialism really meant and represent.

This video should be mandatory for American high schoolers. I didn't even get close to this level of analysis on slavery in college US history courses.

KTallguy

Banned
Finally finished watching the entire thing.

What struck me the most is how the playing field has barely been leveled today. I feel like we need another 100 years... but then I wonder what actions I can take to produce tangible benefits now.

I like that she made clear in the conclusion that what she hopes is that people reflect introspectively to look for "poison in the cookie" in how they were brought up to think and be more conscious of their behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom