• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black History Month - Post Traumatic Slave syndrome by Dr Joy deGruy Leary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Absolutely. "America has a race problem." Yes. Okay. As do many many places around the globe. Just look at Meaty's post about Brazil. Dai101 has given plenty of examples of the racism in Mexico. Felt terrible for Rainbowgun and the bullshit he and others are going through in Germany and all around Europe.

People love to think they're part of some racial utopia..somehow forgetting we all live on Earth. Everyone's hands are dirty..

Yeah that was what I was confused about, wasn't sure if people actually thought through a new narrative that the United States was the only one with a problem. Going back to the slave trade I've read some fucked up shit about Caribbean/South American slavery and really fucked up shit about the Arab Slave Trade.

Yeah that was what I was confused about, wasn't sure if people actually thought through a new narrative that the United States was the only one with a problem. Going back to the slave trade I've read some fucked up shit about Caribbean/South American slavery and really fucked up shit about the Arab Slave Trade.

It's because marginalized people naturally dream of a place where we're not treated like shit. It's not always rational but it's perfectly human to think like that. Unfortunately, the fact it's now just one country but the world itself makes me feel trapped, and makes me a little more misanthropic every day.

Thank you for posting this, Cindi Mayweather. This is a very enlightening talk. Like others have said, I do wish there was a way to get more people to watch it, but it does seem like many will have closed ears to anything that changes how they view black people. I'd love to be proven wrong. Without acknowledging the holocaust America put black people through, things will never get better.

I'll definitely get a copy of her book and read it.

Absolutely. "America has a race problem." Yes. Okay. As do many many places around the globe. Just look at Meaty's post about Brazil. Dai101 has given plenty of examples of the racism in Mexico. Felt terrible for Rainbowgun and the bullshit he and others are going through in Germany and all around Europe.

People love to think they're part of some racial utopia..somehow forgetting we all live on Earth. Everyone's hands are dirty..

Yeah, I have heard people making those claims around the net and knew had to be tripping because it couldn't be an exclusive problem, especially when we were taught about WWII in school.

Glad I watched the video. It gave me a lot of information to digest and I will keep it in my favorites, if she has a book, it'll be on my mind to get eventually.

Thank you for posting this, Cindi Mayweather. This is a very enlightening talk. Like others have said, I do wish there was a way to get more people to watch it, but it does seem like many will have closed ears to anything that changes how they view black people. I'd love to be proven wrong. Without acknowledging the holocaust America put black people through, things will never get better.

I'll definitely get a copy of her book and read it.

Share it with as many as possible.

Enzom21

Thanks for posting this Cindi. Love Dr. Joy deGury Leary, watched a lot of her lectures and have been meaning to pick her book up.

A lot of folks could benefit from giving this a watch... have a little understanding.

A lot of folks could benefit from giving this a watch... have a little understanding.

Particularly after dealing with, what's it been? 3 BLM topics and 1 topic about Confederate History Month where it seems clear people here and abroad have zero context about race save for slavery and civil rights.

Particularly after dealing with, what's it been? 3 BLM topics and 1 topic about Confederate History Month where it seems clear people here and abroad have zero context about race save for slavery and civil rights.

Yup. I actually linked the thread in that Facebook BLM topic..seems some folks really need to watch this.

Futureman

subscribing to watch later...

hmm I really want the book but my library doesn't even have a record of it. Weird. This is the entire Pittsburgh library system which pulls from every library in the area.

Enzom21

Those BLM threads (especially the Nashville one) were the definition of white fragility.
Whole bunch of people who didn't give two shits about BLM or black people in general suddenly upset that they can't attend a BLM meeting that they had no plans to attend in the first place.

The ones who would benefit the most from the videos, have no desire to actually watch them.

Those BLM threads (especially the Nashville one) were the definition of white fragility.
Whole bunch of people who didn't give two shits about BLM or black people in general suddenly upset that they can't attend a BLM meeting that they had no plans to attend in the first place.

The ones who would benefit the most from the videos, have no desire to actually watch them.

Compare the number of replies in this thread to that thread. This is why I don't debate or educate white people. Most aren't interested in being educated on this.

Ashes

Banned
Compare the number of replies in this thread to that thread. This is why I don't debate or educate white people. Most aren't interested in being educated on this.

Education is its own reward. If just one more person gets it, you've done better than you were doing yesterday. You've improved the world by that 0.01 percent. It all counts.

Roc

Neo Member
So far I've seen the first 30 minutes and all I can say is she does a very good job at teaching about the issue today and its history. Will definitely finish when I get home later.

catbird

Neo Member
Education is its own reward. If just one more person gets it, you've done better than you were doing yesterday. You've improved the world by that 0.01 percent. It all counts.

Just wanted to say... I'm basically a lurker but so love these threads. Shared the video on FB and a friend of mine (who I didn't even realized cared about these issues) Shared it to her page. So thank you.

Dai101

Banned
Yeah well, nobody said it was gonna be easy. If it's wearing you out personally, leave it to somebody else. Movements on the right side of history tend to win out in the long run.

“You know, if we get through to just that one little girl, it’ll all be worth it.” – Lisa Simpson

Just wanted to say... I'm basically a lurker but so love these threads. Shared the video on FB and a friend of mine (who I didn't even realized cared about these issues) Shared it to her page. So thank you.

GREAT! That's the spirit.

Lkr

thanks for the video OP. i bookmarked it when you first posted it, i finally have time to watch it and just put it on. the topic is very intriguing to me. i watched a documentary about Native American PTSD last weekend for a history course, im interested to see if there are similarities.

Infinite

Yeah well, nobody said it was gonna be easy. If it's wearing you out personally, leave it to somebody else. Movements on the right side of history tend to win out in the long run.

Yeah, I'm not stopping others from trying to educate so I'm not sure why you made this response to me. As an individual who is oppressed and is dealing with this shit, it's probably better energy spent empowering myself and my community than it is to educate the privilege on why my life matters. It shouldn't be our responsibility to teach the privilege right from wrong and good from bad.

Edit: I also greatly respect folks like Tim Cook that use their position of privilege to educate.

Yeah, I'm not stopping others from trying to educate so I'm not sure why you made this response to me. As an individual who is oppressed and is dealing with this shit it's probably better energy spent empowering myself and my community than it is to educate the privilege on why my life matters. It shouldn't be our responsibility to teach the privilege right from wrong and good from bad.

Yep. People can and should educate themselves. Many don't want to know the truth, but that isn't anyone else's responsibility but their own.

Share it with as many as possible.

I will. I only hope I have some success.

Scher

This is always incredibly frustrating about stuff like this. Frustrating that a thread about a BLM meeting not allowing white people in gets to over 20 pages so quickly, while threads like this tend to just stagnate after just a few pages. "You can't solve racism with more racism" is what you say when you don't understand why marginalized groups don't feel safe in the world and would desire a form of safe space.

I can only wish that everyone would take the time to read all of these Black History Month threads. It's a pretty nasty but important part of history for people to understand.

Infinite

This is always incredibly frustrating about stuff like this. Frustrating that a thread about a BLM meeting not allowing white people in gets to over 20 pages so quickly, while threads like this tend to just stagnate after just a few pages. "You can't solve racism with more racism" is what you say when you don't understand why marginalized groups don't feel safe in the world and would desire a form of safe space.

I can only wish that everyone would take the time to read all of these Black History Month threads. It's a pretty nasty but important part of history for people to understand.
To be fair such threads get that far because there's something to debate and unfortunately that's the only kind of discourse were trained to have on the internet it seems.

Ashes

Banned
"You can't solve racism with more racism" is what you say when you don't understand why marginalized groups don't feel safe in the world and would desire a form of safe space..

'Blacks only' meetings are about safety? Really? Do you have a link?

Mumei

Well, this is quite the coincidence: I just happened to hear about her and look at her website a few minutes ago for the first time before seeing this thread.

gohepcat

Banned
As I said in the Tennessee thread, I no longer debate white people on race because I feel very few of them are actually capable of rationally discussing it. I do not strive to educate. However today, I make an exception.

This truly the most arrogant and condescending thing I've read in a while.

"I usually don't impart my brilliance upon you unwashed rabble, but let me lower myself just this once..."

Mumei

How very interesting. Thank you.

I don't have another link, but if you're interested in more, I thought that Beverly Daniel Tatum's explanation in "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?" of her use of segregated groups in the context of anti-racism workshops was a good explanation of the practical benefits of separate groups. It's not that the goal is separatism, but that in the right context it can be beneficial, particularly in allowing for more frank speech and less fear of screwing up. It's a way of facilitating getting started, I think.

This truly the most arrogant and condescending thing I've read in a while.

"I usually don't impart my brilliance upon you unwashed rabble, but let me lower myself just this once..."
It's no different of a statement than a gay person explaining why they would choose to no longer explain themselves to homophobes.

gohepcat

Banned
It's no different of a statement than a gay person explaining why they would choose to no longer explain themselves to homophobes.

I can see where you are coming from, but just replace homophobes with "straight people".

It's a rough way to start a paragraph. It's condescending regardless of the subject matter.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

The only difference for a proper comparison would be saying "A gay person doesn't want to explain themselves to straight people". That person has had problems where in trying to have a dialogue with a person, has found themselves interacting with a lot of straight up people that ended up being homophobes. It isn't great to paint a whole group of people as not being able to do something, each individual is different. A toxic mentality believing that all or most of a group of people will act a certain way leads into prejudice thought even if the person doesn't realize it themselves. Unfortunately the bias works its way in our heads because of the way our species evolved to see patterns for safety and logic, even if the ideas might not end up being rational.

Keep up the good fight, try and educate as many people as you can even if you don't think they might be receptive. At the same time try and not exhaust yourself.

It's not easy and I'm not going to blame anyone that becomes jaded because you've met way too many people that don't care or simply don't believe in your humanity.

*Obviously unlike skin color a gay/straight person can't automatically tell someone is gay/straight.

It may seem arrogant, but it isn't. It was a follow up to the arguments thrown in the Tennessee BLM thread. If you didn't see that thread which was referenced, you missed a large amount of the context.

Enzom21

Now we have the exact same thing in this thread.

I can see where you are coming from, but just replace homophobes with "straight people".

It's a rough way to start a paragraph. It's condescending regardless of the subject matter.

So you watched the video in the OP right?

Ashes

Banned
I don't have another link, but if you're interested in more, I thought that Beverly Daniel Tatum's explanation in "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?" of her use of segregated groups in the context of anti-racism workshops was a good explanation of the practical benefits of separate groups. It's not that the goal is separatism, but that in the right context it can be beneficial, particularly in allowing for more frank speech and less fear of screwing up. It's a way of facilitating getting started, I think.

I see. Cheers. There was a thread on GAF last year where some white guy wanted to hear about racism, but made the thread specific to black people, like he was only interested to hear about black people suffering.

And a few Asian gaffers, and other minorities said: 'what about us?' The feeling was that not only were minorities facing racism, but due to white guilt against black racism, their asian voice was given even lesser credence. Worse if you're Muslim and Asian. Don't get no breathing room anywhere in the world at the moment. Hated and discriminated where ever you go.

I think in that instance it was made worse because, coincidently, in the Asian OT, we were just discussing how common place racism against asians was on GAF and in the media. And nobody.. okay more accurately, it appeared that more people get away with racism against asians on gaf.

Coming back to the above link,* it's interesting because, one of the posters would only talk about it (racism on gaf) in the Asian OT; they did this because they considered Asian OT a safe space and even created a list of of racist posts off site. I then just posted all those posts my self, cause I don't really see why I should be afraid of gaf posters. People do make assumptions. But whatever.

Being of Asian origin [well I have all gene pools really], I'll add that Asians can be racist too, so if I am, just point it out, and it'll be better that way, so I can learn from that.

Yes. This was me just bumping the thread. But also I had something to say!

edit: * this link:

I see. Cheers. There was a thread on GAF last year where some white guy wanted to hear about racism, but made the thread specific to black people, like he was only interested to hear about black people suffering.

And a few Asian gaffers, and other minorities said: 'what about us?' The feeling was that not only were minorities facing racism, but due to white guilt against black racism, their asian voice was given even lesser credence.

I think in that instance it was made worse because, coincidently, in the Asian OT, we were just discussing how common place racism against asians was on GAF and in the media. And nobody.. okay more accurately, it appeared that more people get away with racism against asians on gaf.

Coming back to the above link, it's interesting because, one of the posters would only talk about it (racism on gaf) in the Asian OT; they did this because they considered Asian OT a safe space and even created a list of of racist posts off site. I then just posted all those posts my self, cause I don't really see why I should be afraid of gaf posters. People do make assumptions. But whatever.

Being of Asian origin [well I have all gene pools really], I'll add that Asians can be racist too, so if I am, just point it out, and it'll be better that way, so I can learn from that.

Yes. This was me just bumping the thread. But also I had something to say!

I remembered that discussion, and also remember suggesting that initiative be take to create threads and get more people involved in discussing anti-Asian racism. As we see in the cases when someone else not personally invested makes threads, the discussion usual gets twisted fairly quickly.

Being vocal gets us a lot of love off-site though lol

http://www.derailingfordummies.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom