• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your favorite gaming podcasts here!

Odysseus

Banned
These are the podcasts I listen to, ranked in the order of awesomeness:

1) 1up Yours
2) GameSpot - The Hotspot
3) IGN This Week In Gaming
4) EGM Live
5) RadiOPM
6) KOXM

I generally find the OXM podcast the least worthy of listening to, but they at least had a long CliffyB interview recently. 1up Yours is clearly the best.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Hey, what's the direct RSS/XML link to subscribe to The Noise? I can't seem to find any, only a link to iTunes which I can't use.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Demi really does Angry-Gamer?

He sounds so much like a radio talkshow guy too

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Podcasts gets me through my work day, I can't live without them. I spend a good 10+ hours per week listening including the tech ones.

Here's the latest Angry Gamer:
Angry Gamer Podcast: Episode 17

News: Atari Loses Money (Yay!), Blizzard Making more MMO Games (Boo!)
Games: FIFA: World Cup 2006, Hammerheads Deluxe, Gamex, Blazing Angels
Round table: When Is The Right Time To Jump On The Bandwagon?
What Solid Snake Does In His Off-Season

Click here to listen to it! And now let us never speak of it again.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I made this post in another thread. Am cry.

I think this idea was suggested a few times by various forum members, but I don't think anyone has ever done it. Basically, I'm gonna pull up and link as many podcasts as I can and you can feel free to add your favorites or your own podcast and I will add them to my post.

I'll start with the podcasts I currently listen to.

1Up Yours - 1up Network
Subscribe through iTunes
Regulars: Garnett Lee, John Davison, Shane Bettenhausen, and Luke Smith
Format: The four editors engage in a roundtable discussion, covering games and gaming news
My opinion: This is definitely the best gaming podcast out there. You're basically guaranteed to get about an hour of very honest, very funny, and often very heated discussion. 1up Yours includes the popular "Whatcha Playing?" segment in which the editors discuss what they are currently playing for work or for pleasure and engage in discussion on everything from game quality to trends in gaming. Luke vs. Shane arguments are always a popular part of the show. Host Garnett keeps the discussion focused and his sidekick John does a superb job as well. They recently got a sponsor, too, so now they have contests with prizes and such.

EGM Live - Electronic Gaming Monthly
Subscribe through iTunes
Regulars: Jennifer Tsao, Dan Hsu, Shane Bettenhausen, Bryan Intihar, other EGM editors
Format: The editors discuss the latest EGM issue and "take you beyond the pages"
My opinion: The podcast has recently ballooned in scope. At first a monthly podcast, the podcast is being published weekly at least through June. You get another gaming discussion podcast here with a different (and generally more opinionated) crew. The best part of the podcast is definitely the editors' ability to explain and extrapolate on what they have printed in the latest magazine.

The Hot Spot - Gamespot
Subscribe through iTunes
Regulars: Rich Gallup, Jeff Gerstmann, currently on a rotation schedule to replace a departed editor
Format: A bit different than the other shows. Rich, the host (who admittedly does a very good job), hands off reading actual news stories to editors who explain the story and then add their own personal takes on each particular issue. The discuss gaming news more than game reviews, and they take user emails and user phonecalls and address those questions as well. The hosts can vacillate between being hilarious (Jeff's rant on Duke Nukem Forever) to being really grating and annoying (Jeff's usual foaming at the mouth about his gamerscore). Recently, Carrie, Brad, Alex, and Ryan Davis have rotated in and added some new blood. Overall, a great place for gaming news and sometimes you get an inside look into the inner workings of GameSpot.com. Jeff Gerstmann special features, anyone?

IGN Games - IGN Entertainment
Subscribe through iTunes
Regulars: The ENTIRE IGN STAFF
Format: IGN publishes differently than everyone else I listen to. All their individual departments seem to publish on their own schedules whenever they feel like it, but everything downloads under that one account. There doesn't seem to be a ton of consistency other than IGN's "This Week in Gaming News" podcast, which is usually hosted by Tal or Kathleen (of former EGM fame). The show can be really good or it can be really dry, depending on the host and depending on the content. There are some very funny moments. Their departmental podcasts can be VERY good. Although it hasn't published in a few weeks, IGN Wii's Wii-k in Review podcast contained a lot of personal opinion and some exclusive information from Matt and Bozon that made it a worthwhile listen. IGN also has an entertainment-based (that is, not games) podcast that you can subscribe to separately.

Major Nelson's Podcast - Major Nelson
Subscribe through iTunes
Regulars: Major Nelson
Format: Xbox insidur!1 Major Nelson gives you all the latest on the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live. He has some good interviews. Recent interviews included Peter Moore, the Forza Team (including Che), and the Xbox Live Arcade division. He takes lame snipes at the competitors and it can be a little annoying, but overall there is a lot of information to be had here.

RadiOPM - Official Playstation Magazine
Subscribe through iTunes
Regulars: Joe Rybicki, Dana Jongewaard, Giancarlo Varanini, Thierry "Scooter" Nguyen
Format: Playstation-based discussion in a round-table format, but it is pretty unbiased in opinion. The editors of OPM talk a bit about news in the Playstation world, give you their opinion on all the latest playstation games, and discuss the happenings in the magazine. I would say they are surprisingly fair and almost hard on Sony. It's a good listen if you are even remotely interested in Sony and the Playstation.

Gaming Steve wants me to shove a screwdriver in my ear. He repeats everything three times, he rambles on for hours and hours, he gets lots of facts wrong, and he tells us all kinds of mundane personal crap that nobody cares about. His Peter Moore interview included a bunch of barely audible roundtable introductions and icebreaking chitchat that were absolutely useless to the typical listener. I don't think brevity is in Steve's vocabulary.

Angry Gamer, Gamasutra, and 1Up Yours are my favorites.

mikeGFG

Banned
June 28th's EGM Live is now.. err.. live.. >_>
EGM LIVE* - Podcast - 06/28/2006
Electronic Gaming Monthly editors Greg Ford, Shane Bettenhausen, Bryan Intihar, and Justin Frechette discuss EGM's opinionated guide of E3 from the July issue, and one of these editors bids a sad farewell. Plus: last week's winner and this week's question!
zomg scandalous. Direct mp3 download

jedimike

I've been really getting into podcasts lately. My favorites..

1. 1up yours - If they ever really fire Luke, I'll stop listening. He makes the show. I used to hate listening to Shane, but now I get a good chuckle because his Sony Defense Badge is set to expire.

2. Cagcast - I like how CheapyD talks about things other than games - like the $10k turd. Extremely entertaining.

3. Major Nelson - Mildly entertaining, but he has the horsepower to get lots of informative guests. Typically, this is the show to listen to when you want info that isn't on the net.

4. EvilAvatar Radio - I can't even remember the hosts names, but this show has a good balance of information and entertainment. They get some good interviews as well.

5. KOXM - more entertaining than informative, but it's a must listen for 360 fans.

Others I have listened to...

VGM daily - didn't care for, don't even know if they are still around
Gaming Steve - very well produced, initially I didn't like him, but he grew on me. Unfortunately, he hasn't done anything in over a month.

dock

McBacon said:
4CR, I can't get along with that, too much annoying music and in the roundtables you keep hearing someone try to talk and they get cut off and I can't stand that, I'm like a black guy at a cinema shouting at Winamp. "OH NO YOU DIIN'T JUST CUT HIM OFF!"
I'm half way through an episode and having to stop too. :( The round table is too annoying, saying things like the N64 brought literally nothing new to gaming (hello standard analogue!), and saying that the snes DID. This was from the same guy that just said "how many bits did the N64 have?". I always got the impression that 4cr had better knowledge than this, it's embarassing to listen to.

Sho Nuff

Banned
1. Angry-gamer is the only podcast that gives me content that I can't get at GAF. The rest of the podcasts is all fanboy crap and I unsubscribed from all of them. The rest of my podcasts are all cool stuff like BBC/NPR/Retrocrush/etc.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Rlan said:
What about other Podcasts, Non-Gaming wise? Any suggestions? I've found myself listening to Penn Jilette's radio show via his Podcast [the full show - does any other radio network do this?]. It's over at: penn.freefm.com - I'd love some other recommendations.

if you're into films, check out Filmspotting, formerly Cinecast. These guys do a great job, and they're on their way to do something national with the show. It's amazing how professional and entertaining it is, and outside of gaming podcasts, is probably my favorite.

http://www.filmspotting.net
there's a link to their website, and the latest episode:

Filmspotting #114: A Scanner Darkly / The Thin Man / Top 5 Mind Benders

radjago

My list of gaming podcasts in order of greatness.

1. 1up Yours - Great chemistry and discussion of gaming topics. They pick up a lot of topics and comments by reading up on the 1up message boards and NeoGAF. Also the 1up Show is a must-watch.
2. CAGcast - Laid-back but structured and consistent enough to earn a spot near the top.
3. GDCradio / Gamasutra / Fat Pixels Radio - The most in-depth industry analysis I've heard in a podcast. Covers game design, marketing, and other internal industry issues. Listen to the first couple Fat Pixels podcasts for great panel discussions.
4. Major Nelson - Xbox news straight from the source. He can be a bit dry like a PR-bot sometimes, but overall it's a quality show. Interviews are usually plentiful and interesting.
5. Press Start (alt.NPR) - only 4 episodes so far, but they are short and to the point. Run by Kyle Orland of Video Game Media Watch. Worthy of a listen.
6. Game On! (Columbus Dispatch / Columbus Alive) - local Ohio newspaper gaming podcast. Covers mostly PC games and popular console titles. Good interviews from unlikely sources.
7. CGW Radio - good mix of news and discussion on the PC side of things
8. EGM Live - started out as a guided tour of each issue, but they are slowly coming out of their shell and into their own.
9. OXM - more Xbox news and interviews. Not quite as slick as Major Nelson, but a good source of info. Occasionally, they do a video podcast.
10. PC Gamer - decent PC coverage. They often seem like they're trying to entertain themselves more than talk about games. Occasionally, they do a video podcast too.
11. Chatterbox - Co-host turnover is an issue, but it's decent for what it is: an AM Radio talk show without many callers. Alon is opinionated and occasionally has a point, but can get pretty wordy in his responses.
12. Dean and Nooch on Gaming (San Jose Mercury News) - No matter the topic, they always take opposite sides of the arguement.
13. IGN - Fine and dandy on its own, but outshown by other podcasts.
14. The Hotspot (Gamespot) - I don't know what kind of crack these people smoke, but I hope I don't ever find out.
15. Gaming Steve - Long, dry, and frustrating, like a girl who teases you by sitting on your lap, only without all the fun of an erection
16. Gamer's Edge (Game Crazy) - Shills at their worst. Bad random sound effects and radio guy voices. Avoid at all costs.

TehOh

My personal favorites are:

4 color rebellion (shameless plug)
AngryGamer!
Chatterbox Video Game Radio
1Up Yours
Penny Arcade

Cheebs

My ranking of the ones I listen to:

1. 1up Yours
2. EGM Live
3. GameSpot's The Hotspot
4. CAGcast
5. IGN Games Podcast
6. 4 color rebellion
7. Radio Free Nintendo

womp

Its been a while due to some personal dilemmas and real life situations but the new episode of Dual Screen Radio is up both on the site and on iTunes. Just thought I'd mention it since I saw it mentioned in the thread, its another 3 hour ordeal. Its a DS oriented show in which we discuss the system, games and the general market so tread lightly if you don't like the system.

Thanks for listening. :)

Co-host Chris

coldvein

Banned
I only listen to 1UP Yours regularly, and I dig it.. but "mature discussion" ? Come on. Every five minutes it's "huh huh, penis jokes, huh huh vagina errr we're drinking huhuhuh, gay jokes laughter laughter" right beavis!

robor

Three that I'm consistantly content with:

EGM Live. The Shane vs. Shoe episode was great, extreme tention.

Platformers. I've only recentlly discovered this little podcast. Great stuff, the latest episode had me pissing tears in laughter, Sanius is truly a dork, awsome.

GAFcast. Enough said.

dock

robor said:
Platformers. I've only recentlly discovered this little podcast. Great stuff, the latest episode had me pissing tears in laughter, Sanius is truly a dork, awsome.
What's with the keyboard clattering and 'squeaky door opening' in the background noise of this podcast? I'm listening right now and it seems okay so far.

edit: oh good, washing machine in the background now (45 minutes in).

edit: someone is washing their hands in a sink now, and making crashing noises.

Top Bottom