• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potential life extension of certain covid masks, and future masks specifically designed for such.

The application of combined hypoxia and hypercapnia (hypercapnic hypoxia) during respiratory exercises results in a maximum increase in resistance to acute hypoxia and ischemic tolerance of the brain. The results of those researches allow the assumption that hypercapnic hypoxia is a promising method for prophylaxis, treatment, and rehabilitation, as well as a means to increase life expectancy. The study was conducted to verify the hypothesis that it is possible to extend the life span through regular courses of respiratory exercises with hypercapnic hypoxia. In the present experimental research carried out on mice, the geroprotective effect of regular hypercapnic-hypoxic exercises (PO2-90 mm Hg and PCO2-50 mm Hg) was assessed in the context of the average life expectancy and the main criteria of its quality (reproductive function, muscle strength, and behavior). Results suggest that with regular training, life span is extended significantly by 16%. This result was accompanied by improved reproductive and cognitive functions, increased motor and search activities, and physical stamina in old age mices.

The scientists placed regular mice in conditions of low oxygen and high carbon dioxide, like in naked mole-rat tunnels – and achieved something no one has ever done before: they managed to significantly lower the rodents’ body temperature and slow their metabolism for as long as months.
It was the first time science achieved a more or less permanently slower metabolic rate in any warm-blooded animal.
And why is this good? Because, they postulate, the lower body temperature and slower metabolism could significantly extend mouse longevity, based on the observation that metabolically slow naked mole-rats live eight times longer than similar rodents.

No, Face Masks Don't Lower Oxygen Levels
TUESDAY, Nov. 3, 2020 (HealthDay News) -- Face masks: Yes, they may not be the most pleasant item to wear, but they are not depriving people of needed oxygen, a new study confirms.

Controversy over whether certain types of masks lower or not oxygen levels, some oximeters and some masks suggest they do. Any case, lowering oxygen and increasing co2, will likely boost hemoglobin levels allowing greater performance while not wearing masks, it may also result in increased lifespan by lowering metabolism.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Chris Pratt What GIF

i think they lower oxygen levels

i simply dont breathe as easy wearing one you dont need no scientist telling you that

i tried doing cardio with that shit i never huffed and puffed like i did and it gets all hot

so glad my gym doesnt require masks anymore

i think they lower oxygen levels

i simply dont breathe as easy wearing one you dont need no scientist telling you that

i tried doing cardio with that shit i never huffed and puffed like i did and it gets all hot

so glad my gym doesnt require masks anymore
But masks are cool too, wearing them from time to time might boost hemoglobin levels just like high altitude training does when the body finds insufficient oxygen and starts making more red blood cells to compensate.

Also in mice it seems lower oxygen might slow down metabolism and thus slowdown aging itself allowing the body an easier time repairing and maintaining itself.

Last edited:
But masks are cool too, wearing them from time to time might boost hemoglobin levels just like high altitude training does when the body finds insufficient oxygen and starts making more red blood cells to compensate.

Also in mice it seems lower oxygen might slow down metabolism and thus slowdown aging itself allowing the body an easier time repairing and maintaining itself.

lol

i saw a dude once who wore a gas mask and was doing turkish get ups making darth vader noises

it was a painful sight

Well, I say lets let these researchers put that theory to the test. Lets have these researchers live like naked mole rats and they can demonstrate the benefits first hand. They can all of them point at us in our paupers graves, which we arrived at well before our times on account of not living like naked mole rats... and then they can say, "See, we were right".

It's like this one interview I saw with this charlatan fraud of a doctor going on and on about the health benefits of the ganges river as the river itself sat in the background. If I were there I'd have said, "silence there doc, camera man keep that tape rolling"... then I'd have walked over to that river, filled a glass up with that healthy ganges river water he touted so much, walked back over to him, handed him the glass with the water... and I'd have said, "Well, drink up."

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Doesn’t lowering your oxygen levels have also other adverse effects?

For example, I remember reading that your reasoning ability lowers in low oxygen environments; the company I work for went on a massive fad of increasing air flow in all conference rooms to “allow us to be creative” during meetings.

I would rather live a short live at full brain capacity than giving up ~1% of my IQ to get to see the world burn, but that’s just me.

Last edited:
Can't you get the same effects by moving to Colorado or anywhere with high elevation? You are less likely to be obese as a result of living at higher elevations due to your body having to work harder to get sufficient oxygen. Also, maybe I missed it, but what's the difference between exercise while wearing a mask vs not?

Doesn’t lowering your oxygen levels have also other adverse effects?

For example, I remember reading that your reasoning ability lowers in low oxygen environments; the company I work for went on a massive fad of increasing air flow in all conference rooms to “allow us to be creative” during meetings.

I would rather live a short live at full brain capacity than giving up ~1% of my IQ to get to see the world burn, but that’s just me.
Yeah I hear too little oxygen and too much co2 can be detrimental. There is likely optimal amount of lowering it to obtain benefits, that likely needs research to find optimal amount of oxygen restriction.
Can't you get the same effects by moving to Colorado or anywhere with high elevation? You are less likely to be obese as a result of living at higher elevations due to your body having to work harder to get sufficient oxygen. Also, maybe I missed it, but what's the difference between exercise while wearing a mask vs not?
Probably.

Some people seem to have no problem exercising with masks others do have significant problems. Could be type of mask or some other reason. In theory there are specialized restrictive exercise masks designed to increase breathing capacity, iirc or something like that.

Bragr

Banned

you think that looks cool? i rather wear a unicorn horn than a rgb lighted mask

dr_octagon

Banned
a mask is fine for sub zero or a serial killer like hannibal lector and i don't share traits with a mortal kombat character.

Top Bottom