• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-TGS Japanese rumor checklist - DQ10 = MMO-like? (And other fun stuff!)

Jucksalbe said:
Please, don't be true. DQ9 was already a disappointment, if this one goes even further in that direction I will cry.
I'm in that boat too. I'd rather have a strong SP DQ. OTOH "MMO like" could just mean "SP game with MMO elements" such as FF XII or Xenoblade.
That would already be a departure for the series, but I'd be fine with that.

JudgeN

It makes no sense to just release a port of a PS3 game that was a port of a PSP game on the Vita. Considering Japan got MH3P, so whats the odds that MH3HD will have extended content like MHFU did with G class weapons and stuff? That would give people more of a reason to buy it in Japan and because US/Europe didn't get MH3P they can release worldwide and everyone would be on the same version.

StuBurns said:
MH is horrible on PSP, I'm sure it would be horrible on 3DS, doesn't mean it couldn't also be huge.

I don't think it'll come to 3DS though.

The biggest thing about MH for me is seeing the sales numbers regardless of platform, the game itself, or at least the demo I played, is pretty mediocre IMO.

wrowa

So, Monster Hunter Tri G versus Monster Hunter 3P HD? A question for the Monster Hunter fans: Which MH3 is known to be the better one, quality-wise?

(And if in case of DQX MMO-like means Xenoblade-like, count me in)

wrowa said:
So, Monster Hunter Tri G versus Monster Hunter 3P HD? A question for the Monster Hunter fans: Which MH3 is known to be the better one, quality-wise?
Tri is the better one, but Portable 3rd has more content.

Monster Hunter Tri G is the best of both.

StuBurns

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
The biggest thing about MH for me is seeing the sales numbers regardless of platform, the game itself, or at least the demo I played, is pretty mediocre IMO.
Pretty much the same for me, I think it's interesting how it's huge. I've yet to be convinced it's an even decent game.

hiro4

Sammy Samusu said:
Tri is the better one, but Portable 3rd has more content.

Monster Hunter Tri G is the best of both.

And it isn't like Tri isn't packed with content.
I've spend more then 150 hours in the game and haven't seen all the monsters yet.

Sennorin said:
I´m pretty sure MHTri´s horizontal camera movement is fully analog.

Nope 100% digital. I've tested it myself. You're free to go back to Tri and try it out yourself if you refuse to believe me, but you won't be able to disprove me because I am 100% correct on this matter.

Pie and Beans said:
Its less about analog sensitivity (which I'm pretty sure it was a bit anyway because I remember doing slow sweeping camera pans) as it is the ease of use. Simply thumbing a stick upwards or downwards, left to right is infinitely preferable to feedback less touchscreen buttons you always have to be a wary of where your thumb is aiming. My issue was with you saying it would be 'better' when clearly it would be more rather 'close to approximating' or something. Thats when the bias language creeps in and we all get territorial about bits of plastic.

The lack of feedback was never an issue in SM64 DS, there's no reason why it would be an issue here. For all intents and purposes, it would be just as good as a 2nd stick for MH3 Tri's camera.

The comment about the control scheme being "better" was in reference to the quick item select feature that I proposed. The touch camera buttons would be neither better or worse, just an equally functional replacement.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
DQ10 MMO-like? Fuuuuuu... that sounds HORRIBLE! Whatever happened to it being like DQ8? :(

Did anybody seriously prefer 9 (and its MMO elements) to the other entries in the series? Most people seemed to agree that it was a big disappointment.

Bayonetta 2 and 4 Heroes of Light 2 sound interesting.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nuclear Muffin said:
Nope 100% digital. I've tested it myself.
Even if it wasn't digital it wouldn't mean shit because it was obvously digital when using the remote + nunchuck setup that many, series veterans or not, preferred for its other advantages and didn't feel the d-pad was any worse in practice. It's not like you're aiming weapons as in an FPS and would use the right analog stick for your view and the shoulder buttons to fire at the same time you're moving with the left stick. It sounds like people arguing it's impossible or would be so much worse haven't even played it much.

All you do is keep the monster in view tn see what attack animations it's doing and react accordingly, not keep it dead center or whatever. That's possible with or without analog, with or without "feedback" as if seeing the camera move to the direction you want isn't enough feedback. It was even possible on PSP without using the claw, just relying on the re-center button and the occasional d-pad corrections when immobile while doing attacks of your own or whatever else. Granted the touch screen isn't as ideally placed as a second analog stick tends to be, but it's hardly an issue, I doubt it would give people hand cramps (curiously, the PSP's shape makes my baby fingers numb).

Anyway, I like your proposed scheme though I'd make the d-pad buttons even bigger, why all the blank space? And the item icons could be smaller and more numerous. And in place of the map which could be on the main screen you could add other things like menu shortcuts such as the combine items screen or whatever else.

Wih that last bit, on 3DS you could maybe retain full combat (or running from combat, lol) controls while having a touch-only item combining screen up on the second screen, and the d-pad could remain there too. The same could work on Vita but there you'd put your finger in front of the action to combine your items, but it's a minor difference.

But I don't know if Capcom has it in them to change or streamline even the menus of the series, lol.

weeaboo said:
Well one of them is true so maybe the whole list is true!

Actually, two and a half: the release of Vita this year in Japan and the name Shining Blade registered few days after the rumor (along the game from SEGA).

JudgeN

hiro4 said:
And it isn't like Tri isn't packed with content.
I've spend more then 150 hours in the game and haven't seen all the monsters yet.

Tri is very low on content compared to MHFU but to be fair MHFU had monsters from all the MH that came before it.

Anyone know how Tri compares to MH3P in terms of which one had more content?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
weeaboo said:
Well one of them is true so maybe the whole list is true!

Which one? DQ10? Sorry, not updated much due to work. >_<

lunchwithyuzo said:
Shining Blade trademark also surfaced after the rumor named it. So while not confirmed yet, it's pretty likely that one's true too.

STOP RUINING SHINING, YOU H-ARTIST >_<

Rpgmonkey

djtiesto said:
DQ10 MMO-like? Fuuuuuu... that sounds HORRIBLE! Whatever happened to it being like DQ8? :(

I don't think we even know what he was specifically referring to and if it (or they) would be impossible to put into DQX just because it has some MMO-like features.

Aeana

Ookami-kun said:
Which one? DQ10? Sorry, not updated much due to work. >_<
Same one that's been true since I started the thread. The Layton-like game with rhythm action from Sega, Rhythm Thief R.

JudgeN said:
Tri is very low on content compared to MHFU but to be fair MHFU had monsters from all the MH that came before it.

Anyone know how Tri compares to MH3P in terms of which one had more content?
Because Tri is the first game of a new generation, expect the same from Monster Hunter 4.

Portable 3rd has all the weapons, one new area, new monsters, sub-species and equips. Lacks bowgun customization, online mode, side-quests, underwater areas, items, monsters and battles.

I hope Tri G takes everything from Tri, Portable 3rd, and add even more areas, monsters and equips! Game of the forever, clearly.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'd rather it didn't get almost anything from Portable 3rd, save for being able to craft equipment for my cha cha (no felynes please). Most of the 3rd monsters' design seems awful to me, especially the one on the cover. It would be nice to get more unique monsters than recolors with slight changes too. And more underwater monsters. And to make bows and gunlances have Tri's bowgun style in crafting and customisation, rather than revert to the old system even for the bowguns themselves as in 3rd. Maybe horns too.

Alextended said:
I'd rather it didn't get almost anything from Portable 3rd, save for being able to craft equipment for my cha cha (no felynes please). Most of the 3rd monsters' design seems awful to me, especially the one on the cover. It would be nice to get more unique monsters than recolors with slight changes too. And more underwater monsters. And to make bows and gunlances have Tri's bowgun style in crafting and customisation, rather than revert to the old system even for the bowguns themselves as in 3rd. Maybe horns too.
I know right, that wolf looks like a Frontier spin-off mess. King Lagiacrus would never.

MHTriArt.png

Rad-

Don't tell me they are going to make it a MMO-lite on the console with by far the worst online.

Unless it just means single player RPG with MMO elements.

jett

D-Member
bubububububu if kamiya is working on Bayonetta 2 what about Metal Gear Rising!?

TTP, where your source at.

weeaboo

jett said:
bubububububu if kamiya is working on Bayonetta 2 what about Metal Gear Rising!?

TTP, where your source at.

Maybe Kamiya is doing Laisin and Bayonetta 2 is being outsourced

I'm scared :_

Wazzim

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
Because Tri is the first game of a new generation, expect the same from Monster Hunter 4.

Portable 3rd has all the weapons, one new area, new monsters, sub-species and equips. Lacks bowgun customization, online mode, side-quests, underwater areas, items, monsters and battles.

I hope Tri G takes everything from Tri, Portable 3rd, and add even more areas, monsters and equips! Game of the forever, clearly.
Couldn't that just be MHP3rdG on whatever platform? MHTriG would mean another Wii version and I don't think that would be smart with the WiiU coming up. They didn't go for a DosG instead of 2ndG either.

Nuclear Muffin said:
SEGA's own internal dev teams could be making Bayonetta 2 on their own...
GAF meltdown incoming.

Tenbatsu

Sammy Samusu said:
From what I heard, MH3G will have:
- Improved balance for underwater combat
- Monsters from MHP3

But I do hope they will release it for the Wii too.

birdchili

probably overly-optimistic, but a turn-based rpg with an "mmo-like" aggro mechanic sounds pretty interesting...

assuming it's still (mainly) single-player, i'm not sure what else you'd want to crib from mmos to would improve a game like this...

GeekyDad

animlboogy said:
If you haven't played DQ9 multiplayer, you probably shouldn't fret too much about MMO DQ. Multi was unobtrusive yet fully-featured and absolutely wonderful to play.

If you played it and didn't like it, you're just a bad person.

Ha, ha! Yeah, it really was a blast. They did an excellent job with it. My wife and I would visit each other's worlds, and it was really cool that her or I could run off and gather ingredients for various recipes, or get carried for XP against higher-level monsters. I remember taking her to the metal-slime dungeons and grottoes before she even reached them in her game. She was diggin' that. Only knock against the co-op, really, was that, well, it wasn't online. It's going to be especially difficult to find other folks nearby who own a 3DS (if it does, in fact, come to 3DS), so if it's anything like DQIX with online, I'm totally stoked.

wrowa

djtiesto said:

Did anybody seriously prefer 9 (and its MMO elements) to the other entries in the series? Most people seemed to agree that it was a big disappointment.
Well, it's a low-tier DQ, but it's definitely better than the horrible, horrible, horrible DQ8.

M3d10n

A swipe area in the bottom right of the screen (like a touchpad) would work much better than on-screen camera buttons, because you don't need to look at the screen or memorize where each button is: just move your thumb to the screen and swipe in the direction you want to turn the camera to.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Tenbatsu said:
- Monsters from MHP3

Where did you hear it? :O

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Really interested in seeing 4 Warriors or Light 2. I really liked the art style, but thought it came off poor on the ds. The low res just muddied the fuck out of the art style. Hope it looks better on the 3ds.

Aeana

wrowa said:
Well, it's a low-tier DQ, but it's definitely better than the horrible, horrible, horrible DQ8.
GAF is the first place I've seen people who consider themselves fans of the DQ series but find one entry or another to be "horrible" or "total garbage" or whatever. The general quality of each entry is fairly consistent, in my opinion, with only minor fluctuations. 9 caused the biggest fluctuation, but that's because it's so different from the other entries. But it's still a good game.

Tenbatsu said:
- Monsters from MHP3

Will Lagiacrus be in it? I can't believe he's not in Portable 3rd

Aeana said:
GAF is the first place I've seen people who consider themselves fans of the DQ series but find one entry or another to be "horrible" or "total garbage" or whatever. The general quality of each entry is fairly consistent, in my opinion, with only minor fluctuations. 9 caused the biggest fluctuation, but that's because it's so different from the other entries. But it's still a good game.
Sometimes I feel like the only one who likes DQ 9 the most.

I got burnt out on Monster Hunter Tri pretty quickly since I had a hard time devoting as much time into it as was needed due to family responsabilities...but as a portable game, I think I'll be all for it.

I just hope that MHTriG has more monsters and maybe some new locations.

Top Bottom