• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predictions-Age: Wii's hardcore future based on PS One's hardcore past, year by year

Amir0x

Banned
let's be fair, that's only half of the library. the other half is comprised of perfectly acceptable PS2 and PSP ports and shovelware. Oh, and Metroid Prime III.

Parl

Amir0x said:
well they both play videogames, that is true RiskyChris

Essentially, "N64 is going to dominate, okay maybe not" and "PS3 is going to dominate, okay maybe not" is what he's referring to.

Anyway, maybe I should have gone with the 360 reaching 1,000,000 in Japan, but I'm glad I've made this because this thread is funny and I wanted to to have a better idea if it's worth me buying a Wii early next year rather than just using my brother's for a few games later this year and early next year, as my tastes roughly coincide with gaming website reviews on a lot of things (as do many others on here, I guess) so I thought I'd do a modified version of collaborative filtering.

ccbfan said:
How doe we define what are hardcore games and why the heck are Mario and Madden games anywhere near the term hardcore.
Did you ever actually beat Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine?

They aren't exactly Barbie Horse Adventure.

Parl said:
Essentially, "N64 is going to dominate, okay maybe not" and "PS3 is going to dominate, okay maybe not" is what he's referring to.

Pretty much, sarcasm aside, PSX and Wii are both two consoles that weren't pegged to dominate the market.

Personally, I like drawing comparisons between DS and Wii more, since the systems are very similar in ideology and early 3rd party support.

Green Shinobi said:
Did you ever actually beat Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine?

They aren't exactly Barbie Horse Adventure.

I can't stand the term hardcore and had to bite my tongue hard to ignore that Mario comment. The games are critically acclaimed, and if you want to label yourself a hardcore gamer without giving attention to Mario games, you should just hang your head in shame.

Parl

RiskyChris said:
I can't stand the term hardcore and had to bite my tongue hard to ignore that Mario comment. The games are critically acclaimed, and if you want to label yourself a hardcore gamer without giving attention to Mario games, you should just hang your head in shame.

Yeah, the problem with Wii and DS is that Wii started out strong and will, as a result, most likely get be in a stronger position relative to DS, early in its life. Wii and DS are much better to compare than Wii and PSX when comparing types of games, but because the of the different levels of success at different times (which is a key ingredient of publisher support), the PSX comparison is greater, for the reason you gave.

And as the comparison is to give an idea of Wii's future when it comes to games critically acclaimed by the core set of gamers (games that people on GAF are more interested in generally, but I must say I really like Brain Training 1 (not 2), but I'm not big on Wii Sports), which is using gaming dedicated websites that score games like Wii Sports 7/10 whilst mainstream sites say it's the best game ever.

Basically, if you believe Wii will trend like (ie, not exactly the same, but show some relevant correlation) PSX when it comes to critically acclaimed games (by gaming-dedicated websites in general) ratios year by year, then showing how PS1 games did on said sites (which many will agree with, for instance, that 1997 was a better year than 1995 for PS1 games) will give you a good idea as to how well Wii will serve your gaming tastes in the future base on how well it serves them now.

If it's anything like PS1 and your tastes just so happen to be similar with Metacritic/Gameranking average (it shouldn't be WAY far off), then it's a good future for us gamers (which it should be anyway with games like Halo 3 around the corner, and I guess Bioshock seems okay too.)

Xisiqomelir said:
Should save that thread for Tuesday, when people are back at work

I think that it should be kept in Media Create threads.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Crisis said:
Just for this topic I made a graph too.

ec9c18840453e620afde25a04e218e51.JPG
Errr, I think you missed all the Sony fanboy insanity over the past 2 weeks...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I don't see anything wrong with this kind of analysis. Its a good post.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Stumpokapow said:
It's about as statistically valid as:
piratesarecool4.gif
Of course that's not statistically valid.

It doesn't include Space Pirates.

Then again, do Space Pirates count for global temperature trends?

jarrod

Banned
We could do it by 2D scrolling shooters... that's hardcore....

PlayStation

Raiden Project (SCEA) 1995
Viewpoint (Electronic Arts) 1995

Philosoma (SCEA) 1996
In The Hunt (THQ) 1996

Xevious 3D/G+ (Namco) 1997
Einhander (SCEA) 1997
Raystorm (Working Designs) 1997

G.Darius (THQ) 1998
Thunder Force V (Working Designs) 1998

R-Types (ASCII Entertainment) 1999
R-Type Delta (SCEII Entertainment) 1999

RayCrisis: Series Termination (Working Designs) 2000

Strikers 1945 (Agetec) 2001
Metal Slug X (Agetec) 2001

Mobile Light Force (XS Games) 2003
Sol Divide (XS Games) 2003

Wii

Metal Slug Anthology (SNK Playmore) 2006

Blast Works: Build, Fuse & Destroy (Majesco) 2007
The Monkey King: The Legend Begins (UFO Interactive) 2007
Crow (O~3 Entertainment) 2007

Kiki Kai World (UFO Interactive) 2008

Castle Shikigami III (???) ???
Star Soldier R (???) ???

donny2112

Thank you for the effort, Parl. It's not sound enough to base definite conclusions on, and as Amirox said, "you've allowed yourself to enter the pitfall of actually thinking a few errant neoGAFers actually are worth the effort of making an absurd and logically flawed graph to illustrate how wrong they are."

Still, thanks for the effort. :)

mclem

Amir0x said:
This sounds to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you've allowed yourself to enter the pitfall of actually thinking a few errant neoGAFers actually are worth the effort of making an absurd and logically flawed graph to illustrate how wrong they are.

The only conclusion is that you wasted this time, and then we're going to laugh about it and nobody will care, and the people who think Wii's library will always suck will still be there, and the people who think Wii's library has the greatest potential of all time will also still be there.

So, in conclusion... the only real solution is to cleanse their souls with fire?

Okiedokie.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Parl said:
[Hardcore is] a subjective term, but I based my definition on the average ratings of "professional" websites. Despite Wii Sports being insanely popular, it has an average of around 75/100 among gaming websites.
Holy shit.

If anything, most "hardcore" games don't get good ratings.

Parl

Xisiqomelir said:
Instead of "points", this should just track total number of games over a metacritic cut-off (I'd say 85).
I'd thought of that idea, but there's some years with many games hitting the mid-80s, and less on the higher rankings. The scoring system is just something I pulled out of my ass, but the intention is not to come up with a conclusion that you can say "hey, this is the best way of seeing what'll happen with Wii" but just to illustrate, in numerical terms (and visually) a potential future based on some "if" statements and a method of analysing the caliber of games in a relevant way. So rather than me saying "hey look, I think these games were all shit in 1996, but it didn't matter because PS1 ended up with loads of great shit after that once the masses of third party titles rolled in". Also, to substantiate a value from a somewhat qualitative idea, it'd have to have a more intuitive form of scoring in order to create the scores for it to be relevant. Of course, anybody could easily adjust the numbers in many ways, but as long as they're weighted, it'd give a good idea.

A lot of people thought that PSX's release schedule got better and better throughout the cycle, each year, and coincidently (or not coincidently, maybe a weighted system on an average pool of data of reviews actually give a decent rough idea afterall! omg!) this method has showed that.

dog$ said:
Holy shit.
If anything, most "hardcore" games don't get good ratings.

In which case, your definition of "hardcore" in this analysis doesn't apply to you. It applies to people who have some decent correlation with the tastes of gaming websites in general, ie, think Wii Sports isn't the best game ever, loves MGS, love FF, loves Bioshock, loves Halo, thinks most licenced games are pretty crap, and wouldn't rate Big Brain Academy all that high at all.

donny2112 said:
Thank you for the effort, Parl. It's not sound enough to base definite conclusions on, and as Amirox said, "you've allowed yourself to enter the pitfall of actually thinking a few errant neoGAFers actually are worth the effort of making an absurd and logically flawed graph to illustrate how wrong they are."

Still, thanks for the effort. :)
It depends what conclusions you mean. It should be blatantly obvious that we can't say "hey look, we've proved Wii will have lots of great games for everybody!" but conclusions that can be made is that if Wii trends like PS1 did in relations to average game rankings on gaming websites, then Wii will have a great future with game rankings (assuming the rest of 2007 lineup doesn't dip WAY below my already conservative estimations). This doesn't pretend to give conclusions that it doesn't state, although I think some made the incorrect assumption that it does, because they haven't adjusted to the reality that if something is pro-Nintendo, it might not actually be biased.

Predictions-Age is no where near as popular as Sales-Age. The future is just as (or more) interesting as the past and present to me.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Parl said:
your definition of "hardcore" in this analysis doesn't apply to you.
But it applies to the entirety of this thread, or at least the initial basis behind it.

My opinion of what makes something "hardcore" or not is irrelevant in this case.

Parl

dog$ said:
But it applies to the entirety of this thread, or at least the initial basis behind it.

My opinion of what makes something "hardcore" or not is irrelevant in this case.

Yes, it applies to my analysis in this context. If you're talking about "hardcore" by the definition you're using and comparing it to "hardcore" in the context of this analysis, is irrelivant and is comparing 2 very different things. I'm ain't trying to define what is and isn't "hardcore" and that people's definitions or uses are incorrect. But the definition used in my analysis, by virtue of what data was used in the analysis, is strictly and automatically defined by the rankings in Metacritic and Gamerankings.

I could've made this based around your ratings for every PlayStation game and every Wii game, but I don't have that data available, and still use Metacritic and Gamerankings anyway, because I think they represent "core" gamers in general better than anything else I can think of. However, if they don't do a good job of representing the general GAFfer, then this analysis is irrelevant to the general GAFfer. eople like However, these sites represent me pretty well, and many others, it seems.

I saw this thread before it had any replies and was serious at loss for words because I couldn't figure what it was about.

fernoca

The thing is that you can't talk about the future, without citing the past. Therefore, there wont' be a future without a past, which brings the question: Where does that leave the present? After all the present is now, but the present was both past and future.

So yeah, Wii's selling great.

fernoca said:
The thing is that you can't talk about the future, without citing the past. Therefore, there wont' be a future without a past, which brings the question: Where does that leave the present? After all the present is now, but the present was both past and future.

So yeah, Wii's selling great.
I'LL BUY IT AT A HIGH PRICE

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ccbfan said:
How doe we define what are hardcore games and why the heck are Mario and Madden games anywhere near the term hardcore.

Mario games aren't hardcore?

C'mon... Mario games appeal to everyone, especially the hardcore. It's whiny GAFfers they "don't appeal" to.

Now Madden, on the other hand...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Red Blaster said:
What the hell is this shit.

how is it any different from predicting the same for PS3 or 360? i dont understand how Wii is in the PSOne's position since back in the same time period in that generation, the PSOne was way behind

Jokeropia

davepoobond said:
how is it any different from predicting the same for PS3 or 360? i dont understand how Wii is in the PSOne's position since back in the same time period in that generation, the PSOne was way behind
Actually, PS1 was always the leader WW. The Saturn only kept up with it in Japan until FFVII was released and the N64 never had a serious chance to make up for the PS1's two year headstart.

CTLance

If I give salami a rating of 9, strawberry jam a 7 and Toast a 3.84, today my breakfast would've amounted to a satisfying 8.72 (out of ten). That clearly ranks above yesterdays breakfast, which scored a paltry 4.9 (I had tea and cereals with milk).

I propose we move on. This thread is making my brain go
4uyq5ok.jpg

dog$

Hates quality gaming
DavidDayton said:
Mario games aren't hardcore?
If they are, I'd like to hear how.
C'mon... Mario games appeal to everyone, especially the hardcore. It's whiny GAFfers they "don't appeal" to.
Irrelevant.
Now Madden, on the other hand...
...isn't hardcore either.

I would like to know how controlling Jumpman in SMG makes for a hardcore game, all the same.

Squeak

dog$ said:
If they are, I'd like to hear how.Irrelevant....isn't hardcore either.

I would like to know how controlling Jumpman in SMG makes for a hardcore game, all the same.
There is "male 14 year old for life" fake post-Playstation 90s 00s hardcore, and there is real hardcore.

People who can appreciate widely different games such as Defender, Maniac Mansion, Planetfall, SMB3 for what they are, and play them with as much enthusiasm as Metroid Prime 3; they are the true hardcore.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
There are hardcore videogame players, and then there are hardcore video games.

Mario games are not hardcore, by design. They are meant to be easily accessible for all players.

Arde5643

dog$ said:
There are hardcore videogame players, and then there are hardcore video games.

Mario games are not hardcore, by design. They are meant to be easily accessible for all players.
If you say it enough times, I know that you'll believe it to be true someday.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Arde5643 said:
If you say it enough times, I know that you'll believe it to be true someday.
While I do that you could tell me why you believe that Mario games are hardcore.

What's your basis behind your opinion. Why should I agree with you.

Top Bottom