• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predictions-Age: Wii's hardcore future based on PS One's hardcore past, year by year

Parl

So I thought I'd unscientific and use up a little of my Sunday grabbing some data, chucking it in OO Calc and messing with it a little.

With most publishers/developers/gamers/press-people thinking that PlayStation wouldn't win out back in late 1994 when PlayStation was released in Japan, and even in 1995, before the release of PlayStation was released in NA and Europe, many of us have likened the PlayStation to Wii.

PlayStation's first full year on the market was 1996, with Wii's being 2007. PlayStation has a vast library of hardcore-oriented games and I thought I'd look into when, collectively, these titles were released throughout PlayStation's life. I was interested to see the ratio of high caliber games in 1996 (when PlayStation's leadership hadn't taken much effect on third party releases because of dev time) compared to the following years. And if Wii is to trend like PlayStation did, we can have an idea as to what we'll be seeing from Wii in the future when it comes to hardcore games. Ie, not Wii fit.

I've used Metacritic and Gamerankings as my sources for average reviews of "professional" websites/magazines(?). Metacritic is incomplete, but was easier for me to collect data from because of it showing the release year's in the list so I used Gamerankings for the rest, and these are marketed with a *. I've also created a points system, based on the games's ratings which gives each year a score for how well it serves the interests of a typical hardcore gamer (yes, it's very unscientific).

PS1:

1996: 30 Points

93: WipEout XL
91: Tomb Raider
91: Resident Evil
89: Tekken 2
86: Die Hard Trilogy*
86: NFL Gameday '97*
85: Twisted Metal 2*
83: Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
83: Suikoden*
83: Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain*
83: Tobal No. 1*
82: Star Gladiator*
82: King's Field II*
82: Street Fighter Alpha 2*
80: Disruptor*

1997: 64 Points

93: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
92: Final Fantasy VII
92: PaRapper The Rapper
91: Colony Wars
89: Resident Evil 2
89: Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back*
89: Formula 1 Championship Edition*
89: ISS Pro
89: Soul Blade
87: Command & Conquer*
86: Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha*
86: Time Crisis*
86: Monster Rancher
85: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
85: Tomb Raider II
85: Rally Cross*
85: Alundra*
84: Madden NFL 98*
84: Riiiiiidge Racer*
84: NHL '98
83: Bushido Blade
83: Wild Arms*
83: Final Fantasy Tactics
83: Ace Combat 2
82: G Police*
81: NASCAR '98*
81: Ace Combat 2*
81: Command & Conquer: Red Alert*
81: Hercules Action Game*
80: Moto Racer*
80: Treasures of the Deep*

1998: 78 Points

96: Tekken 3
96: Gran Tourismo
94: Metal Gear Solid
91: Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
90: Einhander
89: NBA Live 99*
88: Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
88: Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit
87: Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
87: Tomba!*
86: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile*
86: Vigilante 8*
86: Colony Wars: Vengeance*
86: Alundra
85: Spyro the Dragon*
85: Bust A Groove*
84: Point Blank*
84: Dead Or Alive
83: Xenogears
83: Madden NFL 99*
83: TOCA Championship Racing*
83: Moto Racer 2*
82: Rival Schools*
82: Civilization II*
82: NCAA Football 99*
82: Hot Shots Golf*
81: Brave Fencer Musashi
81: Parsite Eve
81: Star Ocean: The Second Story
81: MediEvil*
81: Gex: Enter the Gecko*
81: Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars*
80: Guilty Gear*
80: NHL 99*
80: SkullMonkeys*
80: WWF War Zone*
80: World Cup 98*
80: Bust-A-Move 4*
80: Diablo*
80: Elemental Gearbolt*

1999: 83 Points

93: Gran Tourismo 2
93: Street Fighter Alpha 3
92: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
92: Medal of Honor
91: Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
90: Ape Escape
90: Syphon Filter
90: Final Fantasy VIII
89: WipEout 3
89: Grandia
88: Ridge Racer Type 4
88: Resident Evil 3*
88: Driver*
88: Crash Team Racing
87: Driver
87: Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!*
86: Silent Hill
86: Need For Speed: High Stakes
86: Triple Play 2000*
85: R-Type Delta*
85: MTV Music Generator*
84: NCAA Football 2000*
83: Sled Storm*
83: Worms Armageddon*
83: Tomba! 2: The Evil Swine Return*
83: Dino Crisis*
83: Um Jammer Lammy*
83: Monster Rancher 2
82: Suikoden II
82: Need for Speed: V-Rally 2*
82: Vigilante 8: Second Offense*
81: Pac-Man World*
81: Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation*
81: NLB 2000*
80: Final Fantasy Anthology
80: NFL Gameday 2000*

2000: 91 Points

98: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
94: Final Fantasy IX
94: Chrono Cross
92: Vagrant Story
91: Spyro: Year of the Dragon
90: WWF Smackdown 2: Know Your Role
90: Colin McRae Rally 2.0
90: Madden NFL 2001
88: NHL 2001
87: Spider-Man
87: Rayman 2: The Great Escape*
87: WWF SmackDown!*
86: NBA Live 2001
86: Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
86: Medal of Honor Underground
86: Dino Crisis 2
85: Rollcage Stage 2
85: FIFA 2001: Major League Soccer
85: Fear Effect*
84: Knockout Kings 2001
84: Front Mission 3*
84: Hot Shots Golf 2*
83: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
83: Breath of Fire IV
83: Colony Wars III: Red Sun*
82: Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX
82: You Don't Know Jack, Mock 2
82: Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
82: NHL Rock the Rink
82: NCAA Football 2001*
81: Valkyrie Profile
81: Colin McRae Rally*
81: Syphone Filter 2*
81: Triple Play 2001*
81: Silent Bomber*
80: Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing
80: RC de Go!
80: Incredible Crisis
80: MediEvil II*
80: Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness*
80: NASCAR Rumble*
80: Rollcage Stage II*

2001: 25 Points

95: ISS Pro Evolution 2
90: Dance Dance Revolution
89: Final Fantasy Chronicles
88: Madden NFL 2002
87: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
85: Metal Slug X
84: Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix
81: NBA Live 2002
81: FIFA Soccer 2002
80: Mat Hottman's Pro BMX

Wii:

2006: 13 Points so far + 22 = 35 Points

91: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (4)
91: Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition (4)
85: Super Paper Mario (2)
83: WarioWare: Smooth Moves (1)
80: Mercury Meltdown Revolution (1)
80: Mario Strikers Charged (1)

Unreleased estimations:
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (1)
MySims (0-1)
Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party (Bundle) (1)
Ultimate Duck Hunting (0)
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (1-3)
Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis (0-1)
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (3-5) (I and II were 5)
Endless Ocean (0-1)
Manhunt 2 (1)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (0-1)
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (0-1)
Super Mario Galaxy (5-10 .. 19)
Super Smash Bros Brawl (4-8)
Anymore?

Unreleased total = 16-34.. Let's say, 22.

Rating : Points
80-84 = 1
85-87 = 2
88-89 = 3
90-91 = 4
92-93 = 5
94 = 6
95 = 7
96 = 8
97 = 10
98 = 12
99 = 15
100 = 19

If Wii finishes the year with a score of 35 and then trends like PS1, then this is how Wii's future will look.

1188756697_awesomeness.PNG

What? Seriously, you're trying to compare the PSX's ratio of hardcore games to the Wii's and predicting how many hardcore games the Wii is going to get in the future based on that? That's not how things work.

:|

Sharp

This is a stupid comparison and a stupid thread. I know a lot of work probably went into it but it's still stupid.

ccbfan

How doe we define what are hardcore games and why the heck are Mario and Madden games anywhere near the term hardcore.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Parl said:
So I thought I'd unscientific and use up a little of my Sunday grabbing some data, chucking it in OO Calc and messing with it a little.

parl said:
I've also created a points system, based on the games's ratings which gives each year a score for how well it serves the interests of a typical hardcore gamer (yes, it's very unscientific).

Yeah that kinda renders the analysis useless. You also have way too much free time.

Parl

Sharp said:
This is a stupid comparison and a stupid thread. I know a lot of work probably went into it but it's still stupid.

It's to illustrate that because there isn't a massive of amount of good stuff this year, it doesn't mean future of the Wii will be defined by the early games. We've seen this before.

Well, it was just a bit of copying and pasting, formatting, 2 formulas and a graph.

Amir0x

Banned
Parl said:
It's to illustrate that because there isn't a massive of amount of good stuff this year, it doesn't mean future of the Wii will be defined by the early games

man you just blew my mind. you mean to tell me that a system ISN'T defined only by its first year? And all this time...

replicashooter: oh i remember that thread! Oh how we had a good laugh, and you went into the shadows, shamed and realized your unending love of PSP and PS2. Good times, good times.

Parl

ccbfan said:
How doe we define what are hardcore games and why the heck are Mario and Madden games anywhere near the term hardcore.

It's a subjective term, but I based my definition on the average ratings of "professional" websites. Despite Wii Sports being insanely popular, it has an average of around 75/100 among gaming websites.

Parl

Amir0x said:
man you just blew my mind. you mean to tell me that a system ISN'T defined only by its first year? And all this time...

replicashooter: oh i remember that thread! Oh how we had a good laugh, and you went into the shadows, shamed and realized your unending love of PSP and PS2. Good times, good times.

May be obvious to you, but you should be aware of the amount of people that think that because "Wii has no good games", it will always have no good games.

Amir0x

Banned
ccbfan said:
I found it funny that he really used the value of 19 for Super Mario Galaxy.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, Tomb Raider 1 and Wipeout XL are all individually worth a value of 29, according to the latest game grade guide.

Amir0x

Banned
Parl said:
May be obvious to you, but you should be aware of the amount of people that think that because "Wii has no good games", it will always have no good games.

This sounds to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you've allowed yourself to enter the pitfall of actually thinking a few errant neoGAFers actually are worth the effort of making an absurd and logically flawed graph to illustrate how wrong they are.

The only conclusion is that you wasted this time, and then we're going to laugh about it and nobody will care, and the people who think Wii's library will always suck will still be there, and the people who think Wii's library has the greatest potential of all time will also still be there.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Somewhere in her house my statistics teacher just died a little on the inside.

gcubed

Amir0x said:
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, Tomb Raider 1 and Wipeout XL are all individually worth a value of 29, according to the latest game grade guide.

bu bu unscientific

Quazar

Amir0x said:
This sounds to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you've allowed yourself to enter the pitfall of actually thinking a few errant neoGAFers actually are worth the effort of making an absurd and logically flawed graph to illustrate how wrong they are.

The only conclusion is that you wasted this time, and then we're going to laugh about it and nobody will care, and the people who think Wii's library will always suck will still be there, and the people who think Wii's library has the greatest potential of all time will also still be there.

:lol :lol

Amir0x: Man of wisdom.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You guys are seriously sons of bitches. Like, I was doing the same exact thing. Here's my graph.

graph.jpg

172fs861097.png

As you can see, the Wii's online has better MPH than the 360, but the PS3's online is in solid bar form so it gets the edge. In conclusion, Microsoft's doomed.

Amir0x

Banned
Anyway if you want an objective analysis of the Wii's library versus a past platform, this is the best I've seen:

PikminChart.jpg

As you can clearly see, Wii has zero Pikmin games, while GCN has 2. Therefore, since it cannot match GCN in Pikminy goodness and has had zero Pikmin games in its first year, we can conclude Wii will always be factually inferior to Gamecube.

I feel like I just walked into Ntardville. It's a weird, scary, nonsensical place. Goodbye.

bigLOL.gif

PS. If this thread isn't deserving of a tagging, I don't know what would be.

Okay, I'm officially declaring certain Nintendo fans crazier than the recently achieved uber-crazy certain Sony fans attained.

Kudos to certain Nintendo fans for stepping up to the challenge and raising the bar. No one's ever gonna take you down.

Parl

Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay, I'm officially declaring certain Nintendo fans crazier than the recently achieved uber-crazy certain Sony fans attained.

Kudos to certain Nintendo fans for stepping up to the challenge and raising the bar. No one's ever gonna take you down.

The bar isn't very high on GAF from where I'm standing. But for the record, as much as I'm obsessed with the future of the gaming industry, specifically on the Nintendo side, I did have a bit of a thing for defending PSP's software sales and now also really interested in whether 360 can reach 1 million in Japan.

Parl said:
The bar isn't very high on GAF from where I'm standing. But for the record, as much as I'm obsessed with the future of the gaming industry, specifically on the Nintendo side, I did have a bit of a thing for defending PSP's software sales and now also really interested in whether 360 can reach 1 million in Japan.
You should make a thread about that.

Christine

Amir0x said:
Anyway if you want an objective analysis of the Wii's library versus a past platform, this is the best I've seen:

PikminChart.jpg

As you can clearly see, Wii has zero Pikmin games, while GCN has 2. Therefore, since it cannot match GCN in Pikminy goodness and has had zero Pikmin games in its first year, we can conclude Wii will always be factually inferior to Gamecube.

I think that graph is biased. Purple pikmin are 10x as heavy and strong as red pikmin, they're portraying the situation as more slanted towards GC than it really is.

Parl

Souldriver said:
You should make a thread about that.

I already did on the PSP one a while back. Pretty damn obsolete now.

As for 360, my analysis is sat in a MC thread somewhere. Unfortunately, 360 isn't following the best case scenario, but it should still hit 1,000,000,000, I think (which most, I'd say, disagree with).

Why are people being so mean? There's a significant number of people on GAF who 1) think Wii will never get good games, and 2) since Wii gets shovelware, it'll always be what devs produce.

The analysis is shaky, but you have to see a small amount of parallels between the systems.

Parl

RiskyChris said:
Why are people being so mean? There's a significant number of people on GAF who 1) think Wii will never get good games, and 2) since Wii gets shovelware, it'll always be what devs produce.

The analysis is shaky, but you have to see a small amount of parallels between the systems.

I was thinking DS to begin with, but it took a while for it skyrocket in terms of install-base. Then I thought PS1 and many things fit well, especially many of the relevant market states, like competition and devlopment costs, etc.

The analysis is meant to be very qualitative and is careful to point out "if" statements and the analysis doesn't conclude that a correlation will exist, it just gives the reader an idea of Wii's future if it takes a similar path to one which have previous set precedent (PS1).

Many people have made many ridiculous mistakes in their interpretation of this like suggesting it is finding a quantity of high caliber games, which is does not, and somebody thinking that I used SMG at 100%, which it obviously does not. Of course, it'd be dangerous for anybody to to point out the silly mistakes some people have made interpreting what this is, because that'd be way too ironic.

Top Bottom