• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predictions-Age: Wii's hardcore future based on PS One's hardcore past, year by year

Arde5643

dog$ said:
While I do that you could tell me why you believe that Mario games are hardcore.

What's your basis behind your opinion. Why should I agree with you.
The fact people have always been doing crazy speedruns and god knows what else with Mario games.

If hardcore games includes limited accessability in its definition, then that definitely rules out a lot of games that GAF thought to be hardcore.

Squeak

People who have an open mind play Mario games, which typically does not include Joe Sixpack or fourteen year old boys (being it by actual age or mentality).

Hay GAF. I cataloged the attention my cat recieved during Q02 vs. the attention I gave her. What doy ou think?

cattention.jpg

Week 11 was the release of Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties on DVD.

tokkun

davepoobond said:

how is it any different from predicting the same for PS3 or 360? i dont understand how Wii is in the PSOne's position since back in the same time period in that generation, the PSOne was way behind

This isn't about predicting system sales, it's about trying to prove that the Wii is going to have as many good "hardcore" games as the PSX.

There are 3 reasons this analysis is inane:

1. It uses a completely arbitrary points system that the OP can tweak to try to justify any argument he wants to make.

2. The comparison is based on the premise that many people thought both the PSX and Wii wouldn't sell well. However his conclusion is about the number of critically praised hardcore games released, something totally different. It would make sense if he had premised that people had thought that both the Wii and PSX were systems that catered primarily to a casual audience, but no one thought that about the PSX.

3. He counts the number of good hardcore games released, but makes no reference to what fraction of the total number of games those represent. 1995 is not 2007. The games market is much larger today than it was back then.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Squeak said:
People who have an open mind play Mario games, which typically does not include Joe Sixpack or fourteen year old boys (being it by actual age or mentality).
When you're done getting your rage out against those no-good Playstation fans and are ready to debate over what's actually being discussed, let us know.
Arde5643 said:
The fact people have always been doing crazy speedruns and god knows what else with Mario games.
People can do crazy speedruns with every game in existence. They can also find exploits, bugs, and tricks which take skill to discover and perform.

Mario games are designed to have a minimal amount of such exploits, bugs, and tricks, and are designed to not give the player a wide plethora of methods in which they could be used. The rewards given within the Mario games are predominantly the same no matter how skillfully you acquire them. Introducing self-imposed challenges (such as speedrunning) gives an indication that the game does not provide enough challenges on its own - which further implies that it is not hardcore.
If hardcore games includes limited accessability in its definition, then that definitely rules out a lot of games that GAF thought to be hardcore.
I wasn't aware that GAF formed any ironclad definition of "hardcore" nor a list of such games; could you direct me towards any?
tokkun said:
There are 3 reasons this analysis is inane:

1. It uses a completely arbitrary points system that the OP can tweak to try to justify any argument he wants to make.
Which is all I was initially saying here.

There's probably no way to find an acceptable definition of "hardcore", but using aggregators is pretty much a primary way to not do so.

Top Bottom