• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Presidential Debate #1 |Hofstra University| PRESS X TO SEAN

Who won the debate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xilo

I'm freaking blown Away that anyone thinks he "won" any part of that. Did OK but won? Clintom snatched his hideous wig.

I feel like he definitely looked strong in the first 30 minutes, and she looked very defensive. After that it was kind of a crap shoot with him rambling and rambling, and her not really making great points or calling him out on important issues.

Crocodile

Clinton slayed. I can sleep better tonight :)

CtVBO45XgAA5GYE.jpg:large

This is amazing <3

Krejlooc

Banned
Hillary got steamrolled in the first 15-20 mins, then came back with a respectable performance overall for the night. In any event, the biggest takeaway for me was the comment about how long she's been in elected office alongside the implication of why there is so much work to do. Really highlighted the possibility the issue may be a poor job on the part of politicians running the show.

Appropriate username

I feel like he definitely looked strong in the first 30 minutes, and she looked very defensive. After that it was kind of a crap shoot with him rambling and rambling, and her not really making great points or calling him out on important issues.

This isn't what happened.

Jims

That is exactly it! There is a Simpsons clip for everything.

Like, I mean, say what you want about Romney and his shortcomings and the bad positions he had. But he actually put some thought into his positions and actually outlined what he would rather do. Like, he actually studied for it, like the President of the United States is a kind of important job. People disagreed with it, but he at least put it out there in a competent and/or concise way.

Does the Republican Party not realize this is important? Like, we're not running for student council president here. Why are people's standards so low that a performance like Trump's is remotely close to being acceptable as a potential world leader?

besada

Banned
Hillary got steamrolled in the first 15-20 mins, then came back with a respectable performance overall for the night. In any event, the biggest takeaway for me was the comment about how long she's been in elected office alongside the implication of why there is so much work to do. Really highlighted the possibility the issue may be a poor job on the part of politicians running the show.

You know she's only spent two senatorial terms in elected office, instead of thirty years, right? She was also Secretary of State, which doesn't get involved in domestic policy. I mean, feel free to hold her career against her, but not the imaginary one Trump was discussing.

Alucrid

Banned
didn't this happen within the first 30 minutes?

holt - tell me about how you would bring jobs back to this country

trump - well let me tell you about all the jobs leaving this country

trump got fucked up. accept it brah

MadSol

Unconfirmed Member
drink i am not was on going hcliton grave politetic answers trimp was nerdvous and RAMbulled. had must interest.

On the topic of Lester Holt, and moderation in general:

I feel like with every debate now, people call out the moderators for incompetence.

Honestly, what's the issue? The questions asked? The inability to completely cut off candidates after the specific time allotted?

Someone please clarify what moderators are actually supposed to do other than move things along and ask relevant questions. I have not seen a debate (Democratic nor Republican) since the beginning of the 2016 campaigns where the moderators weren't called out for not being pressing enough or doing their jobs correctly, except MAYBE Anderson Cooper.

In a moderator I just want the ability to keep things on topic and move things along in appropriate time.

I came in late, but what I saw was:

Moderator: Let's talk about X.
Candidate 1: Okay, but first let me tell you about Y, which we already talked about.
Candidate 2: I want to respond to that, while also bringing up Z.
Moderator: uh ok --
Candidate 1: I get to respond to Z. But hey, how about that Y?
Moderator: can we, er --
Candidate 2: I agree that Y is important, as well as Z, which again, I really want to cover because it's important.
Moderator: Yes well let's --
Candidate 1: Hold on moderator
Moderator: We really need to move on --
Candidate 1: Okay we'll move on, but Y, let me tell you, I can't emphasize enough.

Moderator: moving on

(repeat for the whole time)

ISOM

Honestly I want Trump to win to see what happens. He's a pretty stubborn person. I think he'd get things done.

Get what done exactly? He can't even coherently orate what some of his policies are. And to see what happens is the stupidest reason to vote for someone. I bet German citizens thought the same thing when voting for Hitler. Let's see what happens. Well.....

You know she's only spent two senatorial terms in elected office, instead of thirty years, right? She was also Secretary of State, which doesn't get involved in domestic policy. I mean, feel free to hold her career against her, but not the imaginary one Trump was discussing.

Not to mention politicians are not a monolithic entity by any means

steveovig

I didn't know what to expect from Hillary, I'm sure like a lot of you, but she made me proud tonight. She seemed cool, calm, and confident, and like she was having fun. Trump sounded decent in the beginning and trailed off by the end until he was babbling on and on about Hannity and stuff. He had all those minutes during the security section to talk about the wall and how Hillary wants to bring in refugees, and all he could do was talk absolute nonsense. He's a joke, and tonight showed that even more. I don't want to jinx anything but I see an upswing in the polls for Hillary, even if it's not a large one. Believe me though, I'm hoping it's a big league upswing.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Shocked that Trump doubled down on stiffing contractors on the flippant, arbitrary grounds of 'not liking their work.' If you contract someone for a job and they do the job, they get paid what you agreed, end of story. You want to hash it out with them after the fact for shoddy workmanship, have at it, but you don't get to dine and dash.

That alone should absolutely torpedo this dude with blue-collar America.

Alas.

There was maybe only one part of the debate where Trump looked ok and that was when he called out Clinton for NAFTA and that was like 60 seconds

I have been trying to do the math on the 30 years comment - I am guessing he is counting Clinton's second term as governor, but not his first, and his two terms as president, as Hillary's political experience.

marrec

Banned

To be fair to Clinton, in all her years in office, she's never been leader of the free world.

SL128

Believe me folks, the biggest problem we're facing, the biggest problem our allies in South Korea are facing is the Tera problem which we have to fix with the nuclear.

IronLich

Honestly I want Trump to win to see what happens. He's a pretty stubborn person. I think he'd get things done.

With all due respect, the position of the President is one that demands a little more than selecting a candidate for the sake of finding out if they were capable enough prior to them being elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom