• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Presidential Debate #1 |Hofstra University| PRESS X TO SEAN

Who won the debate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jims

I'm more disappointed that, after lowering my expectations for Trump to the lowest of lows, he still couldn't even cross that threshold tonight. I thought, maybe Trump will study his specific soundbites, and actually be able to rattle off specific ideas that he researched in advance. Maybe he won't just shout out vagaries the whole time and speak in bumper sticker buzzwords. Maybe he'll actually answer a few questions with actual policy positions.

But he can't even accomplish that. He looked like a third grader delivering a book report on something he didn't bother to read. Disgraceful.

(Oh, except he was specific about stop and frisk. Of course that's a policy he wants to outline. Of course.)

That the people she was trying to sell her products to hated her because she smiled too much? And that her heavily criticized E3 performance led to her departure.

I have a hard time believing that the role of global chief marketing officer at a Kids Mexican chain was a better gig than being Nintendo's executive vice president of sales & marketing.

You have zero evidence of this, and the evidence you are trying to bring up (that she left Nintendo for some mexican food chain, which, I know might come as a shock to you, but to a grown adult in the business world Nintendo is not necessarily the dream job) is garbage.

So Kellyann, Trump's campaign manager, on Fox basically called it a draw, saying they both did "satisfactory." Isn't that basically an admission he totally failed?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Okay so you're going to ignore his platform and pretend it's better than Hillary's with regard to white nationalism and all of the terrible shit associated with it.

Okay.

How anyone can say Hillary is the one with the problem of changing policy positions, and that they don't know what she stands for is either intentionally lying to themselves or others, or woefully ill informed. She is a bastion of stability compared to the policy change pariah that is Trump:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/201...p-s-rapidly-changing-policy-positions-n547801

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Cuban on CNN saying he didnt know where his seats were when he posted that tweet claiming front row. He said it to bait Trump.

You have zero evidence of this, and the evidence you are trying to bring up (that she left Nintendo for some mexican food chain, which, I know might come as a shock to you, but to a grown adult in the business world Nintendo is not necessarily the dream job) is garbage.

lol it's almost as if industry is not a consideration here!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
On the topic of Lester Holt, and moderation in general:

I feel like with every debate now, people call out the moderators for incompetence.

Honestly, what's the issue? The questions asked? The inability to completely cut off candidates after the specific time allotted?

Someone please clarify what moderators are actually supposed to do other than move things along and ask relevant questions. I have not seen a debate (Democratic nor Republican) since the beginning of the 2016 campaigns where the moderators weren't called out for not being pressing enough or doing their jobs correctly, except MAYBE Anderson Cooper.

The inability to reign the candidates (mostly Trump this time) in after their allotted two minutes was a major problem with this debate. Holt had trouble moving things along because Trump kept interrupting him constantly.

Fat4all

Banned

0f622811cf02a51e26d767dcec555027.jpg

WRANG

SEAN

Xilo

I don't trust Ford for a second. I have watched the auto companies move out of Detroit/Michigan my entire life. Ford already did lay offs a few months ago, and more due to operations in Mexico would not be the least bit surprising. Trump is obviously talking out of his butt with to regards to understanding how the automotive industry works, but Ford (or GM or Chrysler for that matter) is not a company that can be trusted just because they said so.

Krejlooc

Banned
Lester Holt, Moderator: Our next segment is called securing America. We want to start with a 21st century war happening every day in this country, our institutions are under cyber attack, and our secrets are being stolen. So my question is who's behind it and how do we fight it?

Donald Trump: I do want to say that I was just endorsed and more are coming next week, it will be over 200 admirals. Many of them are here, admirals and generals endorsed me to lead this country. That just happened. And many more are coming. And I'm very proud of it. In addition, I was just endorsed by the ICE. So when Secretary Clinton talks about I'll take the admirals and generals any day over the political hacks.

Look at the mess that we're in. Look at the mess that we're in. As far as the cyber, I agree to parts of what Secretary Clinton said, we should be better than anybody else, and perhaps we're not. I don't know if we know it was Russia who broke into the DNC.

She's saying Russia, Russia, Russia. Maybe it was. It could also be China, it could be someone sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds. You don't know who broke into DNC, but what did we learn? We learn that Bernie Sanders was taken advantage of by your people. By Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

Look what happened to her. But Bernie Sanders was taken advantage of. Now, whether that was Russia, whether that was China, whether it was another country, we don't know, because the truth is, under President Obama we've lost control of things that we used to have control over. We came in with an internet, we came up with the internet.

And I think Secretary Clinton and myself would agree very much, when you look at what ISIS is doing with the internet, they're beating us at our own game. ISIS. So we have to get very, very tough on cyber and cyber warfare. It is a, it is a huge problem. I have a son.

He's 10 years old. He has computers. He is so good with these computers, it's unbelievable. The security aspect of cyber is very, very tough. And maybe it's hardly do-able. But I will say, we are not doing the job we should be doing, but that's true throughout our whole governmental society. We have so many things that we have to do better, Lester and certainly cyber is one of them.

WE MUST CYBER BETTER AS A NATION

Battlechili

Banned
The only things Jill Stein is more experienced at than Hillary Clinton are losing elections and holding objectively garbage policy positions.
A significant portion of her policies are 1:1 (or at least very close anyways) with Bernie Sanders' policies before he stopped running, so much so that she offered to step down if he was willing to support the Green party as their candidate.

Would you say that Sanders had garbage policy positions?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
But he can't even accomplish that. He looked like a third grader delivering a book report on something he didn't bother to read. Disgraceful.

(Oh, except he was specific about stop and frisk. Of course that's a policy he wants to outline. Of course.)

Pretty much...

ISIS was formed in 2001 or 2000, correct? I was disappointed that Clinton didn't call him out on that bullshit claim that the Iraq pullout resulted in the creation of ISIS.

I remember hearing an NPR segment about it. The movement started closer to 2004 (I think) once we had started liberating Iraq. From there, as we beat the crap out of Al Qaeda and the Taliban, the motivated extremists who had shied away from ISIS started joining.

bebop242

Listen to this I heart radio talk show on the way to work and the host and callers are painting a positive picture for Trump. Its like bizarro world.

A significant portion of her policies are 1:1 with Bernie Sanders' policies before he stopped running, so much so that she offered to step down if he was willing to support the Green party as their candidate.

I would say Sanders had garbage policy in so far as he had completely unrealistic policy and no real plan to implement anything. Sander's policy was pretty much all surface level fluff

VariantX

So Kellyann on Fox basically called it a draw, saying they both did "satisfactory." Isn't that basically an admission he totally failed?

Damn. It's telling when all you can do is pretend you broke even with the opponent instead of claiming victory like a spin artist would normally do.

A significant portion of her policies are 1:1 with Bernie Sanders' policies before he stopped running

Neat, that doesn't make her GMO policies or her nuclear power policies or her "QE for student loan debt" policies or her foreign policies not garbage.

And if you actually believe that was her motivation for making that "offer", I have a bridge in Alaska to sell you

Toxi

Banned
A significant portion of her policies are 1:1 (or at least very close anyways) with Bernie Sanders' policies before he stopped running, so much so that she offered to step down if he was willing to support the Green party as their candidate.

LOL that's not why she said that

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm freaking blown Away that anyone thinks he "won" any part of that. Did OK but won? Clintom snatched his hideous wig.

Pickman

Someone needs to tell Hillary that Halloween isn't for another month, because she spent over an hour lighting a big orange pumpkin UP.

When did Bernie ever call the president an Uncle Tom, claim wifi causes cancer, or pay lipservice to the antivax movement?

Hillary got steamrolled in the first 15-20 mins, then came back with a respectable performance overall for the night. In any event, the biggest takeaway for me was the comment about how long she's been in elected office alongside the implication of why there is so much work to do. Really highlighted the possibility the issue may be a poor job on the part of politicians running the show.

I'm freaking blown Away that anyone thinks he "won" any part of that. Did OK but won? Clintom snatched his hideous wig.

In terms of mannerisms, I can see why some people would think he won the first third. He did seem more confident and Hilary seemed caught off guard.

After that though, I have no clue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom