• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREY reviews are in, critics love it

So, this is woke because a woman wants to be more than a gatherer and healer in her tribe?

Women taking on roles perceived as masculine in society has been a thing forever. History, movies, in every day life. None of this is new or "woke".

It's just a fun action flick and shouldn't be taken this seriously.

sol_bad

Where was the progression? Throwing axe at tree, kill rabbit, then destroys 3 armed men accustomed to war on the new frontier? Or was there something between?

Who says the French trappers are accustomed to war, they just hunt animals don't they?

The movie shows that Naru can take care of herself when the commanche warrior starts manhandling her.

Anyway, I watched it a second time with my mum tonight, she loved it and I loved it even more.

FunkMiller

Honestly, I have had a "no ignore" stance on forums for years, but I honestly think I'm going to start ignoring all the closet misogynists, prejudiced and racists on this forum as they honestly make the GAF experience miserable.

Yep. There are some gross little cunts on this site. Sadly they infect everywhere on the internet, and are impossible to escape if you ant to contribute to a forum like this, so the ignore button is definitely your friend.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
So, this is woke because a woman wants to be more than a gatherer and healer in her tribe?

Women taking on roles perceived as masculine in society has been a thing forever. History, movies, in every day life. None of this is new or "woke".

It's just a fun action flick and shouldn't be taken this seriously.

It's a major trope, but it isn't "woke". The tired old trope of "woman wants to be like a man. Gender roles are wrong" etc etc.

I'll say it again before I get piled on, I actually enjoyed the file.

It's a major trope, but it isn't "woke". The tired old trope of "woman wants to be like a man. Gender roles are wrong" etc etc.

I'll say it again before I get piled on, I actually enjoyed the file.

I guess if you see it as a trope that's fine. Thousands of things in movies can be seen as a trope. Just about every movie has one.

I'm watching Predator 2 now and yeah. It's one giant trope. To the point of being sickening.

Airbus Jr

Banned
who is the bigger challenge for the predator?

Prey-Predator-Dutch-Naru.jpg
Their tactics strategy and preparation makes the difference.

Dutch is obviously stronger than Naru but that doesnt make much difference infront of predator. Dutch still get ragdolled by predator in hand to hand combat. Only xenomorph or engineer can beat predator in close quarter combat.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Their tactics strategy and preparation makes the difference.

Dutch is obviously stronger than Naru but that doesnt make much difference infront of predator. Dutch still get ragdolled by predator in hand to hand combat.
the predator naru faced was not as clever as the one dutch faced , dont you think.

Part of being a Mary Sue is being good at everything or learning everything real quick and getting showered with praises, that doesn't happen in Prey though, she fails a couple of times, we see her training and her tribe is apathetic to her most of the movie.
Does she really fail? Mind reminding me when? Don’t tell me the lion - the brother did say that it was her plan that worked.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If there is any "woke" elements to Prey it was framed by the initial publicity that included Idpol talk like here

https://www.joblo.com/new-predator-movie-summer-2022-prey/

Which I won't paste since some here wont read more than 5 lines of text. Anyway, framing it the way they do puts Naru (or "Kee" as she was originally called) under a different spotlight than "a skilled but untested hunter, Naru, must rise to the challenge when a predator appears near the village. BTW, Naru happens to be a woman".

The framing difference is important. It sets the tone for her character and adds context to her interacrions with other comanche by exposing the writers intentions to cast it in a modern feminist light rather than something that was more authentic to the period.

A woman having to fight in defense of her home is hardly woke, but that's not what Naru is doing as shown in the film.

Ulysses 31

Does she really fail? Mind reminding me when? Don’t tell me the lion - the brother did say that it was her plan that worked.
And later he said that it was all him and that he had to drag her back. He was just being nice at first till she became too stubborn.

She hesitates when taking the short at the eagle.

She "almost" got a deer and gets told that almost doesn't feed mouths.

I agree that she turns into some kind of warrior rather than a hunter later in the movie.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
It hasn't been that type of movie before. Now you answer why, if you have the courage.
the predator does not care about the gender of its opponent as seen in PREY , it only lives for the challenge , the hunt is all that matters to it.
so with keeping that in mind as the theme of this franchise , 2 warriors need to challenge each other and only one will live.
only the winner between these 2 can finally face the ELDER PREDATOR

also the director has said he will do NEW and SURPRISING things with this franchise , so why the hell not

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

If there is any "woke" elements to Prey it was framed by the initial publicity that included Idpol talk like here

https://www.joblo.com/new-predator-movie-summer-2022-prey/

Which I won't paste since some here wont read more than 5 lines of text. Anyway, framing it the way they do puts Naru (or "Kee" as she was originally called) under a different spotlight than "a skilled but untested hunter, Naru, must rise to the challenge when a predator appears near the village. BTW, Naru happens to be a woman".

The framing difference is important. It sets the tone for her character and adds context to her interacrions with other comanche by exposing the writers intentions to cast it in a modern feminist light rather than something that was more authentic to the period.

A woman having to fight in defense of her home is hardly woke, but that's not what Naru is doing as shown in the film.
idpol that explains your pov and what you're pushing here. Even in all your posts before watching the movie.

That's a standard character outline to objective people. They weren't cast in a feminist light. That feminist interpretation would only be in the imagination of an insecure antifeminist trying to use the movie as a springboard to launch their activism.

the predator does not care about the gender of its opponent as seen in PREY , it only lives for the challenge , the hunt is all that matters to it.
so with keeping that in mind as the theme of this franchise , 2 warriors need to challenge each other and only one will live.
only the winner between these 2 can finally face the ELDER PREDATOR
That wasn't so hard. The "why not" answer seems evasive. It's a poor idea, but not that shameful.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
idpol that explains your pov and what you're pushing here. Even in all your posts before watching the movie.

That's a standard character outline to objective people. They weren't cast in a feminist light. That feminist interpretation would only be in the imagination of an insecure antifeminist trying to use the movie as a springboard to launch their activism.

That wasn't so hard. The "why not" answer seems evasive. It's a poor idea, but not that shameful.
evasive?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Great movie. Really enjoyed it.

Woke...what?

Just say it. You wanna see more half naked dudes. Nothing wrong with that. Embrace the gay.

Flex Schwarzenegger GIF
The fusion of hyper masculine homo-eroticism with feminine beauty (aka gratuitous nudity) or extreme violence is a potent one. This used to be well known and routinely exploited (go crack open an art book by Vallejo or Frazetta but lately seems to have been forgotten.

Just look at this
jXXJoQL.jpg

Romulus

Her progression was her learning from observing the actions of the predator and how it fought, and learning new technology, and learning the lay of her surrounding to use the trap she fell into against her enemy.

Considering those three dudes were a bunch of fat middle aged slobs I'm more than willing to accept she could best them.

I don't understand how learning new technology makes you capable of suddenly fighting 3 grown men and handling them. Even dudes with fat are strong asf, these are guys that walk everywhere and live in harsh conditions, not some gaf users playing COD.

Romulus

Who says the French trappers are accustomed to war, they just hunt animals don't they?

The movie shows that Naru can take care of herself when the commanche warrior starts manhandling her.

Anyway, I watched it a second time with my mum tonight, she loved it and I loved it even more.

I highly doubt the predator was their first encounter on the new frontier, and even so these are forward-living individuals in a new land, they're not just taking a vacation to see the new Americas. And she barely escaped that young skinny Commanche, and suddenly can take on 3 grown men. I can suspend some belief I guess, just bizarre.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't understand how learning new technology makes you capable of suddenly fighting 3 grown men and handling them. Even dudes with fat are strong asf, these are guys that walk everywhere and live in harsh conditions, not some gaf users playing COD.

Naru was practicing for her hunt long before the movie started, she's been practicing so she can do the hunt.

I don't get why you're assuming she only started any kind of training the moment the movie started.

dude i legit wanted opinion on this face off , not baiting anyone , if someone is offended then i apologise

adult swim look GIF

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Striving to overcome obstacles is one of the primary lessons of these movies.

Putting it into context of something called the Kütaamia which recontextualizes the activities of all involved is beautifully inspired and taps into something primal that resonates strongly with people.

Reactions: KO7
My favorite "woke" franchise is Alien.

Some of you guys would have had a field day in the 70s and 80s if you have a problem with Prey. Back then they were just called kickass movies. Now how dare a woman be able to kill a beast while the dudes fail.

RAÏSanÏa

Some of you guys would have had a field day in the 70s and 80s if you have a problem with Prey. Back then they were just called kickass movies. Now how dare a woman be able to kill a beast while the dudes fail.
These women are tormentors from... Suffragette City! :messenger_musical:

jason10mm

Gold Member

I think in the 70's 80's they would have cast this as a struggle for an established medicine woman to have to put down the bag o'healing and pick up a bow to defend her tribe/get vengeance for the predator killing her son/husband/brother. I think they would have just had ALL the comanche with a base level of tracking/hunting/fightin' skills and the whole "you can't come on this hunt 'cuz you'sa gurl" but would have been non-existent. Anyone will fight when backed into a corner, and it is an especially mythic virtue for women to defend their family/home when no men are left to do so.

No one on the Nostromo questions Ripley's skills because she is a woman. Sarah Connor isn't a waitress that longs to be an FBI sniper but is told she can't audition because of her gender. Laurie Strode doesn't need a few random run ins with misogynistic hillbillies to get the anger to defeat Michael. Those films have ICONIC protagonists with REAL HUMAN MOTIVATIONS, they just happen to be women and the film adjusts the context to frame it appropriately for the setting. If Prey fit more into the genre of "Thelma and Louise" or "9 to 5" then this might be a different discussion, but in the horror genre it's pretty well established how the "final girl" plays into it and for action movies the protag wins pretty much no matter what.

Prey bears more criticism due to the preamble it had, linked above, and the in film context of her actions leading to disastrous consequences for most everyone involved that she doesn't seem to grok AT ALL. The most enthusiastic defenders of Naru also seem oblivious to the fact that she brought all this down on herself because in the final edited version of this film that is what happens.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
what I am watching so far looks good, only about 20 mins in. one thing I wish what would have been really cool if they had the balls, was to just have this start have an unknown (to the viewer) force kill main do it's stuff then last third do a reveal in suprise it is I a predator.

I dunno maybe just me but I think they should have done that. but other than that I like the lead, look and asthetic of the film. love the character design. looks really cool.

getting Alien/Aliens Vibes so a good thing :)

lets see how the rest of it plays out

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The predator itself is weird he doesn't follow the rules I guess of the other predators.
he knives a dog to death then nearly gets killed by a bear because he decides to have a fist fight? (yeah I know they have to show how strong it is)
plus i thought water inteferes with the cloak?

Ulysses 31

The predator itself is weird he doesn't follow the rules I guess of the other predators.
he knives a dog to death then nearly gets killed by a bear because he decides to have a fist fight? (yeah I know they have to show how strong it is)
And in Pred 1&2 they establish Predators hunt during heatwaves but here it snows. :messenger_winking_tongue:

And here it can cloak to full invisibility too!

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not sure how far you are but he is definitely more brutish and close combat based than the other Predators we have seen.

Maybe the old cloaks are more reliable! The new techs not as good. But in the first film was it the water or the fall into the water from a long distance that affected the cloak.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
And in Pred 1&2 they establish Predators hunt during heatwaves but here it snows. :messenger_winking_tongue:

And here it can cloak to full invisibility too!
I forgot that part, I think he is writtne as a slasher movie villian the first two were good because the predator kind of toyed with it's prey and matced it, such as used weapons if you had them or got rid of armour and weapons. had honour etc so in that respect was more relatable if that makes sense.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
cyntia rothrock from back then would love to smash....she was a babe
I don't recall every Cynthia flick from back in the day but I suspect there were more than a few scenes where some lout questions her battle prowess and then gets righteously pounded into the dirt. But I don't recall her ever NOT being pretty damn tough from the get go of every film.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don't recall every Cynthia flick from back in the day but I suspect there were more than a few scenes where some lout questions her battle prowess and then gets righteously pounded into the dirt. But I don't recall her ever NOT being pretty damn tough from the get go of every film.
arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Finished this film yeah it was a great movie, really liked it. had the right vibes at the end.
the original two will always be classics but this should be the third :)

great action flick, the accents on the french guys I'm guessing they are canadian french?

Last edited:

Romulus

Naru was practicing for her hunt long before the movie started, she's been practicing so she can do the hunt.

I don't get why you're assuming she only started any kind of training the moment the movie started.

She can beat the total shit out of 3 big dudes when she barely beat a skinny kid a few hours previously? How much training did she receive? It's like she leveled up 5 times fighting that boy.

Ulysses 31

She can beat the total shit out of 3 big dudes when she barely beat a skinny kid a few hours previously? How much training did she receive? It's like she leveled up 5 times fighting that boy.
She can pull down a Predator who bench pressed a bear with a thin rope, tear off a mandible with one hand and she can eye ball where the helmet laser will point to without it being on.

She's just that good, bro.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I have to keep saying this:

Watch it again. She used kicks, momentum, center of gravity, weapons, etc. She wasn't trading punches with them. She used her disadvantages as advantages. It was like watching a Krav Maga practitioner.

I started it last night but fell asleep, will probably finish it tonight

Why is she speaking in both English and her Indian language? Either speak English or native language with subtitles. Are we supposed to be believe they speak fluent English and just rely on their native tongue for reasons every now and then?

sol_bad

Why is she speaking in both English and her Indian language? Either speak English or native language with subtitles. Are we supposed to be believe they speak fluent English and just rely on their native tongue for reasons every now and then?

She isn't really speaking English, the English is just for the English viewers. If you have subtitles on it can make it more confusing as it says "in English" and "in Commanche". If you watch the Comanche dub, there is no mention of English, just Commanche and French.

She isn't really speaking English, the English is just for the English viewers. If you have subtitles on it can make it more confusing as it says "in English" and "in Commanche". If you watch the Comanche dub, there is no mention of English, just Commanche and French.
I get that, but why use both languages? It’s jarring. Either use English or use commanche or whatever

The one I’m watching uses both. She alternates.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Same way Alien races speak in both English and their native languages on Star Trek... The universal translator translates everything they say BUT they can still say something in their native languages. THAT is more confusing than this

Last edited:
Top Bottom