• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Tips for PC Gaming (like a Pro)

Trojita said:
I'm subscribing to this.

Anyone know of a good solution to somehow standardize mouse settings in games? I have a G5 mouse, and I am currently using the logitech mouse software and the gaming sofware for my g13 keyboard, where oddly enough the mouse isn't supported in the gaming software.

I started playing Mass Effect 2 for the first time and my mouse was super sensitive even setting it to LOW in Mass Effect 2's menu. I had to go into the mouse settings and turn the Top of the 3 mouse speeds on my mouse to the normal speed I like on my desktop, and then when in Mass Effect 2 I set it lower. Is there a better way to go through this?

I don't have a G5 but a quick Googlin' brings up 1,790,000 results for "g5 sensitivity problem" which seems... high to say the least. Could it be something like what these guys are talking about in this thread?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Someone should make a program that knows how to detect where each game's save files are located. The save folder location for each game would be held in a Repository that would be constantly updated when new games come out. Even if the game was installed in the program files or root of the drive it would still find the save. The system would then backup all of your saves on the computer. You would also have an option to save each of the games on a cloud, like Drop Box. There would be a color coded hint next to the titles telling you whether they were saved locally (Red) or on the cloud (Blue) as well as the last save date. Double clicking the name would give a more detailed report of all save history. Installing the program on another program, all you would have to do is press a button "Restore all save files from the cloud" and you would be good to go playing on your other machine. There should be some safeguards installed in the program that would prevent you from wiping a bunch of good saves because you hit restore and didn't backup.

NIN90

Tenck said:
Can someone recommend a decent but cheap mouse with scalable DPI?

IME 3.0 or mx518. Deathadder if you want to go a little higher.

Edit: IME 3.0 doesn't have scalable DPI, my bad. It's a pointless feature though, IMO.

Tom Penny

Trojita said:
I'm subscribing to this.

Anyone know of a good solution to somehow standardize mouse settings in games? I have a G5 mouse, and I am currently using the logitech mouse software and the gaming sofware for my g13 keyboard, where oddly enough the mouse isn't supported in the gaming software.

I started playing Mass Effect 2 for the first time and my mouse was super sensitive even setting it to LOW in Mass Effect 2's menu. I had to go into the mouse settings and turn the Top of the 3 mouse speeds on my mouse to the normal speed I like on my desktop, and then when in Mass Effect 2 I set it lower. Is there a better way to go through this?

Use a controller instead for a superior PC gaming experience.

Tenck

NIN90 said:
IME 3.0 or mx518. Deathadder if you want to go a little higher.

Edit: IME 3.0 doesn't have scalable DPI, my bad. It's a pointless feature though, IMO.

When you play Quake a bit too much, scalable DPI makes a huge difference. I'll be honest and say it won't make the game unplayable, but when you want pinpoint accuracy, scalable DPI is a miracle.

Edit: just read my post, fucking stupid. I mean scalable dpi won't make a game unplayable, but it's a very nice thing.

Edit2: fixed

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tom Penny said:
Use a controller instead for a superior PC gaming experience.

Stop it, Thomas.

This thread motivated me to install the Nvidia Inspector. Now I can finally play Bloodlines and Mass Effect with some nice AA.

Trojita said:
Someone should make a program that knows how to detect where each game's save files are located. The save folder location for each game would be held in a Repository that would be constantly updated when new games come out. Even if the game was installed in the program files or root of the drive it would still find the save. The system would then backup all of your saves on the computer. You would also have an option to save each of the games on a cloud, like Drop Box. There would be a color coded hint next to the titles telling you whether they were saved locally (Red) or on the cloud (Blue) as well as the last save date. Double clicking the name would give a more detailed report of all save history. Installing the program on another program, all you would have to do is press a button "Restore all save files from the cloud" and you would be good to go playing on your other machine. There should be some safeguards installed in the program that would prevent you from wiping a bunch of good saves because you hit restore and didn't backup.

Done: http://gsm.duncsweb.com/
List of supported games: http://gsm.duncsweb.com/?s=support&c=supported_games
(855 so far)

Scalable DPI is a must for a plethora of shitty console ports that have asinine mouse movement sensitivity. Often they like to crank up the sensitivity in game to ridiculous levels and then make the mouse movement in menus sluggish as hell.

It's also amazing to have in games where you do stuff like control tanks or turrets or something where you have to move the mouse around a lot in order to rotate the gun... Oh and mass effect 2 planet scanning takes a third of the time.

NIN90

Tenck said:
When you play Quake a bit too much, scalable DPI makes a huge difference. I'll be honest and say it won't make a huge difference, but when you want pinpoint accuracy, scalable DPI is a miracle.

When I played Quake Live I never had the time to do something like switching DPI mid-game. :p
I'd much rather have a consistent sensitivity.
Besides, the Q3 engine allows for easy scripts in regards to switching sensitivity by simple pressing a button.

TouchMyBox said:
Scalable DPI is a must for a plethora of shitty console ports that have asinine mouse movement sensitivity. Often they like to crank up the sensitivity in game to ridiculous levels and then make the mouse movement in menus sluggish as hell.

It's also amazing to have in games where you do stuff like control tanks or turrets or something where you have to move the mouse around a lot in order to rotate the gun... Oh and mass effect 2 planet scanning takes a third of the time.

The funny thing is that I have my DPI set to the lowest setting possible (450 I think) and it's STILL too fast for most of the shitty console ports.
Dropped F.E.A.R 2 after 30 minutes because of this (despite kinda liking the game)

Tenck

TouchMyBox said:

In a game like Quake where comfortability takes priority even over skills, different dpi can help you with problems the game has that you can't find a fix to. Sure mouse accel helps with speed, but the speeds aren't consistent.

NIN90 said:
The funny thing is that I have my DPI set to the lowest setting possible (450 I think) and it's STILL too fast for most of the shitty console ports.
Dropped F.E.A.R 2 after 30 minutes because of this (despite kinda liking the game)

I find myself dropping the DPI to 400, and the in-game sensitivity sliders down all the way in a bunch of them.

TouchMyBox said:
I'm not sure what's wrong with what I'm suggesting... I pretty much think that if your game doesn't control exactly like a valve game at defaultish settings, then you're doing it wrong.
I'd expect a gentleman with a portal 2 avatar to respect that. ;)

nvm, thought you quoted the accel fix suggesting an asinine alternative (because you quoted the guy askin about it a post earlier)
brain fart.

Btw I really wish all games would use a scale with your desktop sensititivy value as 0.
Would make it so much easier to set sensitivity equally for all your games.

Spending years playing cs , then a month on something else and coming back is like kicking years of muscle memory in the balls.
I raged so hard when valve changed their own sens slider for a while (thank god they changed it back).
Suddenly my 6.8 setting was no longer any good.

Tenck

NIN90 said:
When I played Quake Live I never had the time to do something like switching DPI mid-game. :p
I'd much rather have a consistent sensitivity.
Besides, the Q3 engine allows for easy scripts in regards to switching sensitivity by simple pressing a button.

The problem is I can't find the right sens with Quake. I have a mouse with pretty low dpi, and I play with .6 sens, and that's a bitch to play with when you only have a tiny mouse pad. My friend let me test out his mouse on my laptop, and when I had a taste of the scalable dpi, I found the rout settings. I don't think I've enjoyed Quake as much as when I played with a new mouse.

Blackface

Banned
In mmo's

A) Do not click. Hot-key every ability you have. if you click you suck. use a shift modifier if you don't have enough keys.

B) Never key-board turn. Turn with your mouse.

C) Never back up with S in an MMO. Fucking re-bind it if you have to. You go slow and suck and die and everyone will hate you. it's faster to strafe from danger then backup like a scrub.

Blackface said:
In mmo's

A) Do not click. Hot-key every ability you have. if you click you suck. use a shift modifier if you don't have enough keys.

B) Never key-board turn. Turn with your mouse.

C) Never back up with S in an MMO. Fucking re-bind it if you have to. You go slow and suck and die and everyone will hate you. it's faster to strafe from danger then backup like a scrub.

Don't play mmo's:p
Trolling aside, this advice is equally valuable for RTS games :bind your shit, especially build order navigation and waypoints) and learn to use modifiers and how to group units goddamnit!

Every control optimisation pays off in a satisfying way within no time, do it step by step.
Soon you'll go from struggling to deal with all the menus and clicks and losing overview to edging closer and closer to 100apm and up.

Also in fps games : for the love of god, make use of weapon binds!
Scrollwheel is an easy pattern to fall into but a terrible habit.
If you fumble for a while, deal with it.

1-D_FTW

WTF! I was going to recommend the game save manager, but when I googled it for a link, it came up with a bunch of hits labeling it as malware.

What say gaf? Awesome program or have we been duped?

IoCaster

FOV, FOV, FOV seriously, if you're going to play PC games then you need to get this shit right. Don't let those narrow and claustrophobic FOV settings get you nauseous. You want to have some peripheral vision when you're playing PC games just to be competitive. Get going with your google-fu and find some damn .ini tweaks so you can max your settings.

Trojita

jim-jam bongs said:
I don't have a G5 but a quick Googlin' brings up 1,790,000 results for "g5 sensitivity problem" which seems... high to say the least. Could it be something like what these guys are talking about in this thread?
Yeah I just have the really ultra sensitive mouse and the odd disconnect with the mouse going crazy even on the desktop. The mouse pointer will start moving at a really fast speed (after say alt tabbing from a game) and I have to go into the logitech program and move the cursor to the right and then back to where it was originally and it fixes it and goes back to normal. Annoying though. I'd get another mouse possibly if this wasn't a problem with other mice.

1-D_FTW said:
WTF! I was going to recommend the game save manager, but when I googled it for a link, it came up with a bunch of hits labeling it as malware.

Awesome program. It's definitely clean.

TP

Snuggler said:
ps3padxm52.png

I didn't know it could be used without a Bluetooth dongle.
But the instructions on the website are outdated. Go here instead
http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/install

I wasted about an hour before running into that and now it works just fine :D

Gattsu25

Banned
IoCaster said:
FOV, FOV, FOV seriously, if you're going to play PC games then you need to get this shit right. Don't let those narrow and claustrophobic FOV settings get you nauseous. You want to have some peripheral vision when you're playing PC games just to be competitive. Get going with your google-fu and find some damn .ini tweaks so you can max your settings.
I have to play UE3 games on PC for just this reason..not being able to expand the narrow FOV on the consoles makes me feel ill.

1-D_FTW said:

I'm playing around with it now, Microsoft Security Essentials thinks it's fine and it's not doing anything nasty so far. Where did you see it being called malware?

Trojita said:
I'd get another mouse possibly if this wasn't a problem with other mice.

If you can get your hands on another mouse to check that out before buying a new one that's probably your best bet.

Van Buren

jim-jam bongs said:
Good stuff so far. As a companion to Nabs' post about Radeon Pro, I recommend Nvidia Inspector for people on the Geforce side of the fence.

One important thing about Nvidia Inspector: when you open the application it's not immediately apparent where you need to go to adjust settings per game, so if you're having trouble it's just here:

To add to this, Nvidia Inspector requires Anti-Aliasing compatibility bits to enable AA in a lot of games. This thread contains a useful list of working compatibility bits for a lot of recent releases.

Also, for those using SLI setups or for Nvidia users who want to monitor GPU statistics in-game, EVGA Precision is a great tool. It's particularly helpful to monitor and make sure that all the cards in SLI are being used to their full extent to produce the best fps possible. It can also be used for overclocking and as a substitute to Fraps.

Lastly, for SLI users who run games that don't support SLI, Nvidia Inspector has an option named "SLI: AA", whereby the unused card can be used to perform 32xAA.

Trojita

imoTEP12 said:
I know your trolling but at any rate getting a controller to work with ME2 is a pain in the ass
Even with that program stated in the OP?

One other thing which I've wanted to recommend for the comfy couch PC gamer is the Apple Magic Trackpad. It's a little on the pricey side but it's a great mouse alternative for situations where you don't have an ideal surface to use. I also use one of the bluetooth Apple Keyboards with my living room setup, also a little pricey but definitely worth it if you game with a controller and don't want to have a huge keyboard lying around.

J-Rzez said:
Probably get a Razer Deathadder or Abyssus pretty cheap, $30-60, not including sales and such.
I like my Deathadder but imo Logitech mx518 is the best mouse of all time, OF ALL TIME!

Tenck said:
Can someone recommend a decent but cheap mouse with scalable DPI?

Razer lachesis (claw grip) or death adder (palm grip, I think)

Lachesis vs logitech mice aren't even in the same league.

Build quality, frictionlessness (what a word), quality of the middle mouse button and quality of tracking on the lachesis are so much better than on the expensive, overpriced logitech g9x.

Once you are used to the 0 resistance feeling of a good razer mouse you can never go back.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im using Nvidia inspector for the first time, how can I save my overclock settings? Doesnt seem to remember them from last time and I dont see an option for it to remember them

SoulClap

I'm a bit confused when it comes to RadeonPro. Do I uninstall CCC and install RadeonPro separately or do I use it in conjunction with CCC? If it is used in conjunction is there a way to stop CCC from starting with Windows? I'm assuming you wouldn't want to have both running.

coopolon

SoulClap said:
I'm a bit confused when it comes to RadeonPro. Do I uninstall CCC and install RadeonPro separately or do I use it in conjunction with CCC? If it is used in conjunction is there a way to stop CCC from starting with Windows? I'm assuming you wouldn't want to have both running.

You can have both running and it's fine. But yes, go to your windows button, type in msconfig. Go to the startup tab and unselect CCC to start up on Windows launch.

I use mouse and keyboard for pc games, a wired 360 controller for console ports, and a usb Saturn pad for 2d games and emulators. So good.

Raging Spaniard said:
Im using Nvidia inspector for the first time, how can I save my overclock settings? Doesnt seem to remember them from last time and I dont see an option for it to remember them

You need to click the button which says "Create Clocks Shortcut". It will add a shortcut to your desktop which you can use to launch Nvidia Inspector with your custom clock settings. I'm pretty sure that you need to leave it running to use the overclocking.

TGMIII

IoCaster said:

Yeah this is huge for me, makes playing console FPS games hard for me. Too used to playing Q3 with 120FOV.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
jim-jam bongs said:
You need to click the button which says "Create Clocks Shortcut". It will add a shortcut to your desktop which you can use to launch Nvidia Inspector with your custom clock settings. I'm pretty sure that you need to leave it running to use the overclocking.

Yeah I figured it out right after posting that, then I hit apply and the screen went black and didnt restore itself ... but thats weird cause I didnt put any crazy settings or anything.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Snuggler said:
ps3padxm52.png

I find myself recommending MotionInJoy very often on these boards since many posters don't seem to realize that their PS3 pad can be used in place of a 360 pad in any game with native support. It'll save you a good $40 or so if you don't own already own a 360 pad. It's also worth noting that you can fully remap the buttons using the program, so you'll never be stuck with using the mushy triggers for aim/shoot.

It's fairly easy to install, all you need is your pad, it's USB cable, and a functioning brain. It also can be used wirelessly if you have a blue tooth dongle.

If this thread hangs around I'll try to make a step by step guide for the program.
I definitely need to download this. I recently started playing some fighting games on PC, and I hate using the 360 pad.

Top Bottom