• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Tips for PC Gaming (like a Pro)

Snuggler said:
ps3padxm52.png

I find myself recommending MotionInJoy very often on these boards since many posters don't seem to realize that their PS3 pad can be used in place of a 360 pad in any game with native support. It'll save you a good $40 or so if you don't own already own a 360 pad. It's also worth noting that you can fully remap the buttons using the program, so you'll never be stuck with using the mushy triggers for aim/shoot.

It's fairly easy to install, all you need is your pad, it's USB cable, and a functioning brain. It also can be used wirelessly if you have a blue tooth dongle.

This is brain dead easy because the MotionInJoy drivers will emulate an Xbox 360 controller so pretty much any game that is compatible with a 360 pad will work perfectly with the PS3 controller.

However.....

I have a roommate and my PS3 isn't just a game system but also a Netflix box. Late nights when I'd take the PS3 controller to my room, I'd forget to put it back in the morning so no Netflix for her for the entire day (usually). She never complained but I'd see her watching dumb crap on Hulu and I just knew. Plus, I felt a little bad.

Solution:

Convert that old Xbox controller you have in the garage or closet into a PC controller.

There's a lot of instructions on the net but I found these to be the best: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t482-guide-xbox-controller-to-usb-adapter.html

Why? Because this guy doesn't assume you have a standard USB cable and that all the color labels will match. He gives the color pinouts for USB and Xbox. It's fantastic.

That's not all though. When you plug in your controller, it's going to want drivers of course. Oh shit! Where do I get drivers for an Xbox controller? You get them from here: http://www.mayflash.com/pc/pc018/pc018.htm

That company made a simple Xbox to USB pass-through cable and created drivers for it. They'll work if you do the mod just fine though, windows won't know the difference. The best thing is that they work with Windows 7 64-bit.

But wait! Older games work fine because they support joysticks but modern games only work with Xbox 360 controllers. WTF is this gestapo bullshit?!

It sucks but there's always a way. Grab x360cd here: http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

It's an open-source Xbox 360 emulator. Well, what it does is it spoofs modern games into thinking your OG xbox controller (and other PC controllers) are in fact an Xbox 360 controller. This thing works with a few exceptions. Dead Space 2 for example would not work at all until a google search revealed that for some reason, it only worked with an older version of x360ce. For the most part, it works really well.

The best thing about x360ce is that even if you don't do this crazy Xbox controller mod, if you have an older PC gamepad like a Logitech Rumblepad 2 that no longer works with modern games, this will allow it to work as an Xbox 360 pad.

Chavelo

GENTLEMEN, quick question.

Any good way to backup steam games? I have TF2 with all the updates, SSFIV:AE, and Shogun 2. That's prolly about 50 gigs to re-download all over again. >.<

How's the backup tool in steam? Or can I just backup the directory? :O

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Chavelo said:
GENTLEMEN, quick question.

Any good way to backup steam games? I have TF2 with all the updates, SSFIV:AE, and Shogun 2. That's prolly about 50 gigs to re-download all over again. >.<

How's the backup tool in steam? Or can I just backup the directory? :O
Copy over the "steamapps" folder in the Steam directory to another hard drive. Do you reinstall/format and then after reinstalling steam, drop that "steamapps" folder right back in the new directory.

I wanted to rave about one of my favourite tools in the PC gaming kit: Dropbox.

The purpose of Dropbox is to provide cloud-storage which can be mapped to a local folder on every PC you use, regardless of the OS. It also has Android and iPhone apps so that you can get to your stuff on the move.

It's also arguably the best place to host images and your ticket to cloud-saving in any game.

Images

This one is easy. There is a folder in the root of newly created Dropboxen called "Public". If you have an old Dropbox account you might need to create the folder. Anything placed in there is publicly accessible, and you can right-click it and select the Dropbox submenu to copy the public link to the clipboard.

The reasons for doing this are simple. Personally I like to take all my screenshots as uncompressed PNGs out of Fraps, and I don't trust any image host to handle them properly, except abload.de which is too slow for me (Australia).

Cloud Saves

This is insanely simple thanks to Game Save Manager which includes Dropbox support:

angular graphics said:

If the game isn't supported by GSM you can use the original manual technique. The first thing that you need to do is grab the Dropbox Folder Sync addon and install it. Then it's simply a matter of finding the save folder for the game, and selecting the sync option:

dfs_rightclick.png

Now that your saves are in The Cloud, you'll want to access them from another PC for maximum PC Gaming Pro-ness. This is simply a matter of repeating the step above on that PC. If you already have saves in both folders you'll be given the option to merge/overwrite the files at that time.

And that's it! The next time you format your PC your saves are the last thing you need to worry about, and if you game on multiple PCs you now have perfect synchronisation between them. Also, the above technique will also work on settings files/folders so if you want to keep those in synch too you can.

N.B.: If you're familiar with creating NTFS junctions (i.e. symlinks) you can perform the above using the CLI.

Ledsen said:
So I tried that "cloud save" thing on my Baldur's Gate 2 save directory. What happened was it deleted all my saves and put a "save" folder in my dropbox that contained two empty folders with the same names as two of my save games. Great. Luckily I keep a backup.

This man is wise, because he prepares himself for tinkering. In case you have trouble, make sure that you back the folder up before trying this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks for that post, Jim Jam, when I have a chance tonight I'm definitely gonna link Fraps with drop box since I have a ludicrous amount of pictures saved on my HDD. I'm starting to run low on space. :(

Snuggler said:
Thanks for that post, Jim Jam, when I have a chance tonight I'm definitely gonna link Fraps with drop box since I have a ludicrous amount of pictures saved on my HDD. I'm starting to run low on space. :(

Dropbox won't help you there unfortunately, unless you set it up everything for manual or selective synching. The best option for you might actually be to get some free web hosting with FTP access. Then you can just map your remote images folder to the Z: drive or something in Windows and drag and drop straight to it. That way you save your space and get the same convenience as the Dropbox method!

I haven't used any free hosts for a while, but if someone wants to recommend a few good ones I'll write something up about how to do the above.

Deepo

Thank you so much for that Gamesave Manager tip!

I've been doing this manually for a long time, and this will save me a lot of time.

Izayoi said:
Well, gamesave manager always crashes at 45% on the first startup. Oh well. Manual method it is.
Gross. If it makes you feel better, I set my stuff up manually before I knew about GSM and it works just as well.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nvidia Inspector Guide

Program download here.

What is it? Well Nvidia Inspector is really just an interface that shows you what the built-in Nvidia Control Panel makes it a pain in the ass to find or straight up doesn't tell you about. It also enables image quality whores to step their game up to the next level.

So yeah once you have it downloaded, click this:

nv1ovof.jpg

That button opens up this, where all the magic happens:

nv2y3l2.jpg

The program defaults to the Global Profile. These settings will apply to all game unless their specific profiles tell it otherwise. There are a couple things you should tweak in here as 99.9% of games should be using them. These settings are:
-Anisotropic Filtering Mode: User-defined/Off
-Anisotropic Filtering Setting: 16x

This link will explain why: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering

This setting won't screw anything up with in-game AF or cause any issues except in AVP 2010 and Crysis 1 (POM). In those games individual profiles, you can set it to "Off."

By setting this in Global, it will save you the trouble of setting it every time and acts as a safety because not all games have the option in video settings nowadays. Also it has a fucking minuscule impact on performance.

Finer Tweaking
Alright so once you got the global config set you can hop to an individual game profile. Nvidia has pretty much all modern titles with profiles set up, but the top bar has buttons that will let you make new profiles, delete profiles, add/remove EXEs for games. The reason you will want to go to individual game profiles is to tweak Anti-aliasing and SLI compatibility bits. These change on a game to game basis and bits/settings that work for one game might not work with other games.

So why would you want to change these settings? Well a shit load of games nowadays don't ship with anti-aliasing settings built in or too few options for it. Games like Need for Speed 2010, Darksiders, Mass Effect and many more. Nvidia has given a number of these games compatibility bits by default, but they don't always have the best ones selected. If you want to find a better AA comp or one that actually works these lists is invaluable:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=336854
http://translate.google.com/transla...letin/archive/index.php/t-490867.html&act=url

Once you have a proper AA compatibility profile plugged in, you can go wild with the AA settings. Make sure you have AA mode set to override first though. If you want to step your game up even further, you can go into AA Transparency Supersampling and use Sparse Grid SSAA. Your Sparse-Grid setting should match the MSAA setting you have enabled so 4x Sparse Grid should be used with 4xMSAA. Here is an example of a screen that is properly configured for Sparse-Grid SSAA:

nv3kq57.jpg

You will notice under the Texture Filtering section that the Texture Filtering - LOD Bias has also been tweaked. This setting is used to counter the softness of SSAA on the image. I usually find that -1.5 does the trick for 4x Sparse Grid, but you should adjust as you see fit. THIS SETTING SHOULDN'T BE USED IF YOU ARE JUST USING STANDARD MSAA.

If a game already supports MSAA, but you want to take it further you can usually just skip the compatibilities and just set it to "enhance in-game AA" and then add additional levels of AA to the profile.

There are also some nifty things like Ambient Occlusion profiles in the program which are neat to experiment with, but come with a hefty performance hit.

Infinity

For those that use the Inspector tool, how does it compare with the ATI CC panel for setting AF defaults and creating custom profiles?

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
Nvidia Inspector Guide

Program download here.

What is it? Well Nvidia Inspector is really just an interface that shows you what the built-in Nvidia Control Panel makes it a pain in the ass to find or straight up doesn't tell you about. It also enables image quality whores to step their game up to the next level.

So yeah once you have it downloaded, click this:

http://www.abload.de/img/nv1ovof.jpg[img]

That button opens up this, where all the magic happens:

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/nv2y3l2.jpg[img]

The program defaults to the Global Profile. These settings will apply to all game unless their specific profiles tell it otherwise. There are a couple things you should tweak in here as 99.9% of games should be using them. These settings are:

This link will explain why: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering[/url]

This setting won't screw anything up with in-game AF or cause any issues except in AVP 2010 and Crysis 1 (POM). In those games individual profiles, you can set it to "Off."

By setting this in Global, it will save you the trouble of setting it every time and acts as a safety because not all games have the option in video settings nowadays. Also it has a fucking minuscule impact on performance.

[B]Finer Tweaking[/B]
Alright so once you got the global config set you can hop to an individual game profile. Nvidia has pretty much all modern titles with profiles set up, but the top bar has buttons that will let you make new profiles, delete profiles, add/remove EXEs for games. The reason you will want to go to individual game profiles is to tweak Anti-aliasing and SLI compatibility bits. These change on a game to game basis and bits/settings that work for one game might not work with other games.

So why would you want to change these settings? Well a shit load of games nowadays don't ship with anti-aliasing settings built in or too few options for it. Games like Need for Speed 2010, Darksiders, Mass Effect and many more. Nvidia has given a number of these games comapatibility bits by default, but they don't always have the best ones selected. If you want to find a better AA comp or one that actually works these lists is invaluable:

[url]http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=336854[/url]
[url]http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forum-3dcenter.org%2Fvbulletin%2Farchive%2Findex.php%2Ft-490867.html&act=url[/url]

Once you have a proper AA compatibility profile plugged in, you can go wild with the AA settings. Make sure you have AA mode set to override first though. If you want to step your game up even further, you can go into AA Transparency Supersampling and use Sparse Grid SSAA. Your Sparse-Grid setting should match the MSAA setting you have enabled so 4x Sparse Grid should be used with 4xMSAA. Here is an example of a screen that is properly configured for Sparse-Grid SSAA:

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/nv3kq57.jpg[img]

You will notice under the Texture Filtering section that the Texture Filtering - LOD Bias has also been tweaked. This setting is used to counter the softness of SSAA on the image. I usually find that -1.5 does the trick for 4x Sparse Grid, but you should adjust as you see fit. THIS SETTING SHOULDN'T BE USED IF YOU ARE JUST USING STANDARD MSAA.

There is also some nifty things like Ambient Occlusion profiles in the program which are neat to experiment with, but come with a hefty performance hit.

And that's all I can think of.[/QUOTE]

Saved. Been meaning to tackle this one day, but was never willing to wade through all the static. Thanks.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
So I just got a 42" Panasonic plasma, and I do all my gaming on my PC. I've been using the Xbox 360 controller for console ports

But what's my best solution for using a mouse/keyboard at an 10ft + distance? I'm itching to play some Starcraft 2.

The pair obviously needs to be wireless. But if I'm sitting in a chair, or on my bed, what are my options? I'm sure someone's been through this before, but google searching was very unhelpful..

gdt

Badabing said:
So I just got a 42" Panasonic plasma, and I do all my gaming on my PC. I've been using the Xbox 360 controller for console ports

But what's my best solution for using a mouse/keyboard at an 10ft + distance? I'm itching to play some Starcraft 2.

The pair obviously needs to be wireless. But if I'm sitting in a chair, or on my bed, what are my options? I'm sure someone's been through this before, but google searching was very unhelpful..

Wireless MKB, and get a small folding table. Has to be wide enough for the MKB. If you're on a couch, look for a table or something that can just lay on your lap comfortably.

The one I had folds, and sits comfortable on the arms of my recliner. I play reclined like a boss.

Inkwell

Banned
I love this thread. Was good on everything except for nvidia Inspector, which I now have and at least changed the anisotropic filtering settings. I've been trying to think of something to add, but I've got nothing. Might be a good idea to link to the triple buffering thread I guess.

coopolon

Badabing said:

I feel like that is pretty far for a 42 inch screen, especially for a game like SC2.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
gdt5016 said:
Wireless MKB, and get a small folding table. Has to be wide enough for the MKB. If you're on a couch, look for a table or something that can just lay on your lap comfortably.

The one I had folds, and sits comfortable on the arms of my recliner. I play reclined like a boss.

Alright, good looks. Hopefully a setup like this won't affect my aim.

1-D_FTW said:
It doesn't need to be wireless. If you really want, you can get cable extensions for keyboards and mice.

Yah I know. But this is one situation where I can really benefit from wireless capability.

coopolon said:
I feel like that is pretty far for a 42 inch screen, especially for a game like SC2.

I knew someone would comment on the distance. To be realistic, I'm probably sitting 6ft or 7ft away, but if I lay down on my bed or something, it's 10ft+ (Although in this situation, I'd be using the 360 pad anyway)

coopolon said:
Eh not really. When I game in bed I'm that far from my 40" screen. I like to sit closer for a lot of games, but it's still a decent distance.

I've never found a comfy solution for KB/M use with my TV. I only use my TV if it's a game I can play on a controller. Lots of people have suggested things, but I like to be hunched over a desk with a KB/M... dunno why, it just feels right that way.

coopolon

Badabing said:
Alright, good looks. Hopefully a setup like this won't affect my aim.

Yah I know. But this is one situation where I can really benefit from wireless capability.

I knew someone would comment on the distance. To be realistic, I'm probably sitting 6ft or 7ft away, but if I lay down on my bed or something, it's 10ft+ (Although in this situation, I'd be using the 360 pad anyway)

Yah, I have personally found I feel best sitting a little bit closer to my TV when playing gmes at 1080p then I do watching tv/movies.

I use a keyboard tray from an old desk, put the mouse and keyboard on top of that, and lay it in my lap. I have tried the folding lap desk but the one I got is too high for my couch.

I have experimented with wireless keyboard and mice. I eventually realized I preferred to hide a USB extension cable under the couch and just plug in the kb/m when playing then spend the ~$150 to get a quality kb/m which still doesn't feel as good as a wired.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Eh not really. When I game in bed I'm that far from my 40" screen. I like to sit closer for a lot of games, but it's still a decent distance.

I've never found a comfy solution for KB/M use with my TV. I only use my TV if it's a game I can play on a controller. Lots of people have suggested things, but I like to be hunched over a desk with a KB/M... dunno why, it just feels right that way.

I guess I just like sitting really close to TVs. If I could I'd probably sit like 4 ft from my 50 inch TV but my wife would never go for it,

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Infinity said:
For those that use the Inspector tool, how does it compare with the ATI CC panel for setting AF defaults and creating custom profiles?
Use this: http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/

It is pretty much the exact same thing conceptually to Inspector as ATI also likes to tuck settings away. It's been a while since I switched off my 5850 and I don't think I can do a guide from memory so someone else might have to step up to the plate for that.

Budr

Great thread, it will be nice to have a home for general PC advice.

This gets pointed out all over the place and is only specific to UE3 games but given the iniquity ubiquity of that engine and the fact that it comes up every time a new game comes out, it's seems worth stating here. All (?) UE3 games come with frame limiting and mouse smoothing enabled by default. You should immediately correct this. In my experience, somewhere under My Documents, there will be a folder for the game, somewhere under which will be a directory full of .ini files. The first change is in *Engine.ini. Search for the line:

Code:
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE

and change the value to FALSE. As an aside, the MaxSmoothedFrameRate attribute can be set to any value, if you want to push the game extra hard and drop to a locked 30fps, for example. The more important change is in *Input.ini. Search for:

Code:
bEnableMouseSmoothing=true

and change the value to false to make the mouse movement feel less shit.

Stallion Free said:
Yes it is. It's formatting of options is a lot more straight forward.

nHancer also hasn't been updated for over a year. The guy said a complete re-write was needed for 2xx series drivers, which never happened, which means it does nothing if your install is up-to-date.

Stallion Free said:
Copy over the "steamapps" folder in the Steam directory to another hard drive. Do you reinstall/format and then after reinstalling steam, drop that "steamapps" folder right back in the new directory.

I would just add that, if, instead, you keep the Steam folder, with only Steam.exe and the steamapps directory underneath it, you can just run that executable and some voodoo will kick in to download everything it needs and it just magically works. Saves downloading the installer and, more importantly, reminds you how amazing Valve are.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Budr said:
nHancer also hasn't been updated for over a year. The guy said a complete re-write was needed for 2xx series drivers, which never happened, which means it does nothing if your install is up-to-date.
Man that was a rough period going with out Nhancer. Evnetually I got a 5850, but that didn't fix anything as it took a while for Radeon Pro to come out as well. I've been really pleased with Inspector though, I feel like it's format is a lot more concise than Nhancer's ever was.

Finaika

Stallion Free said:
Nvidia Inspector Guide

Thanks for the tip, but 1 question: Why can't I just do this in Nvidia Control Panel?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Finaika said:
Thanks for the tip, but 1 question: Why can't I just do this in Nvidia Control Panel?
Because Inspector is better and you should use it for all tweaking. It's just a better interface for control panel. If all you wanna do is AF, go ahead and use control panel, but really Nvidia Inspector is a better way to do *everything*.

Sober

Budr said:
This gets pointed out all over the place and is only specific to UE3 games but given the iniquity ubiquity of that engine and the fact that it comes up every time a new game comes out, it's seems worth stating here. All (?) UE3 games come with frame limiting and mouse smoothing enabled by default. You should immediately correct this. In my experience, somewhere under My Documents, there will be a folder for the game, somewhere under which will be a directory full of .ini files. The first change is in *Engine.ini.
Good advice. Some games I found though, like Transformers: WFC are UE3, but don't have the set of ini files. Is there any way to open and edit a Coalesced.ini ? I think ME2 has the same thing in that I can't go in and edit them.

On another strange note I wonder if someone can answer, I have a weird "problem" with my 4850 and specifically UE3 games in that I have to underclock it so I don't get GPU driver crashes (VPU recover errors, sometimes back-to-back and it requires a restart from me). This spans from literally any UE3 game from Gears PC to ME1+2, Hell's Highway and basically any UE3 game. Strangely though, when I do underclock, I have no issue whatsoever while still at 60fps.

Sober said:
Good advice. Some games I found though, like Transformers: WFC are UE3, but don't have the set of ini files. Is there any way to open and edit a Coalesced.ini ? I think ME2 has the same thing in that I can't go in and edit them.
User.ini files are user preferences, Coalesced.ini are global settings that are loaded if no user preferences are defined.

It should be possible to edit the Coalesced.ini directly with encoding-preserving editors like notepad++, but I haven't tested it.
Edit: Otherwise, try Iron Spire's Coalesced editor. It works for ME2, not sure about other games though.

The Stig

okenny said:
Learn to hate all other platforms and have an insane and unsubstantiated sense of entitlement

Please be good to yourself and run in a redundant RAID mode! Performance increase aside, save yourself the regret when a device decides to die :(

really?

how many people do you think have actual dedicated raid cards on their machines? Performance will surely get worse as the processor will have to take up the slack.

A better idea is to keep your OS and games on separate drives, IMO.

edit - striping may be a good idea (raid 0) if performance is a priority but it's really unnecessary.

I really want to use my Wii Classic Controller on my PC via bluetooth and have bought what is supposed to be a compatible dongle yet I still have problems trying to do stuff in GlovePIE as it randomly shuts down. On my macbook there's easy and great software to use my Wii remote and classic controller but I can't find anything like that on PC. Any suggestions? I'm aching to try Amnesia on my big new 51".

Dipswitch

The Stig said:
really?

how many people do you think have actual dedicated raid cards on their machines? Performance will surely get worse as the processor will have to take up the slack.

A better idea is to keep your OS and games on separate drives, IMO.

edit - striping may be a good idea (raid 0) if performance is a priority but it's really unnecessary.

This. Tried RAID 1 striping once and the array would get corrupted every time the machine crashed. Probably would be less of an issue these days, but I found it to be more trouble than it was worth. Better to perform backups (Both image and file based if possible) and recover that way.

coopolon said:
Yah, I have personally found I feel best sitting a little bit closer to my TV when playing gmes at 1080p then I do watching tv/movies.

I use a keyboard tray from an old desk, put the mouse and keyboard on top of that, and lay it in my lap. I have tried the folding lap desk but the one I got is too high for my couch.

I have experimented with wireless keyboard and mice. I eventually realized I preferred to hide a USB extension cable under the couch and just plug in the kb/m when playing then spend the ~$150 to get a quality kb/m which still doesn't feel as good as a wired.

I guess I just like sitting really close to TVs. If I could I'd probably sit like 4 ft from my 50 inch TV but my wife would never go for it,

I understand that. Personally, when I play pc games with a controller in my bed on my plasma HDTV, I feel great. When I play, still in my bed, but with a KB/M combo, I feel like a lazy fat ass. It's psychological. Well, in my case, anway.

Chuckpebble

Nottyboxers said:
I really want to use my Wii Classic Controller on my PC via bluetooth and have bought what is supposed to be a compatible dongle yet I still have problems trying to do stuff in GlovePIE as it randomly shuts down. On my macbook there's easy and great software to use my Wii remote and classic controller but I can't find anything like that on PC. Any suggestions? I'm aching to try Amnesia on my big new 51".

Can you share the Mac software. I've played with DarwiinRemote. I used it to play N with a Wiimote, and it was friggin epic. Until I tried using it again, and I kept having problems re-syncing to bluetooth.

Then there's Remote Buddy which I haven't tried yet, but only because it doesn't seem to do what I want.

Aside from that stuff, to anyone else out there. Is there any way to use a Wii nunchuck with a mouse and keyboard. I know there's that peripheral out there with buttons all over it, but I really just want to use a nunchuck. Thumbstick would replace WASD and C and Z would be Jump and Crouch. Then I have two fingers left over for rapping on keys. Anyway, that's what I imagine, seems so awesome to me that I'm surprised a solution isn't readily available for this.

FatBaby

Does that Game Save Manager support Amazon Cloud Drive? I'd much prefer to use that as I don't have a Dropbox account and have an Amazon one, but I guess it would be easy enough to just sign up for one.

Still, it would be nice to know. The Game Save website doesn't seem to mention it anywhere unless I am looking in the wrong place.

Dipswitch

So it appears that RadeonPro also supports the whole Triple buffering/V-Sync dealie with D3D games, along with D3DOverrider. Anyone have an opinion as to which is better?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dipswitch said:
So it appears that RadeonPro also supports the whole Triple buffering/V-Sync dealie with D3D games, along with D3DOverrider. Anyone have an opinion as to which is better?
I think earlier in the thread people said that D3D was more consistent.

iNvidious01 said:
if you wanna use a pad but a game doesn't support it (mostly older games, but newer stuff like mass effect 2 doesn't either) then use something called pinnacle game profiler.

it is expensive at $20 but it auto updates and includes preset profiles for a ton of games. and if they dont have a profile, chances are somebody on their forums made one already.

delta25 said:
I'm going to give this a whirl once Bisohock 2 is done downloading.

thanks

Also, if you use motioninjoy and a DS3 you can create custom profiles and map keyboard controls to your controller that way. Motioninjoy is free.

Snuggler said:
ps3padxm52.png

I find myself recommending MotionInJoy very often on these boards since many posters don't seem to realize that their PS3 pad can be used in place of a 360 pad in any game with native support. It'll save you a good $40 or so if you don't own already own a 360 pad. It's also worth noting that you can fully remap the buttons using the program, so you'll never be stuck with using the mushy triggers for aim/shoot.

It's fairly easy to install, all you need is your pad, it's USB cable, and a functioning brain. It also can be used wirelessly if you have a blue tooth dongle.

Everything went smoothly according to the tutorial/directions, but the analog sticks don't work (USB, no BT dongle). This wasn't as easy as I expected, unfortunately.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How is it possible that ATI hasn't addressed the vsync/triple buffering problems in their drivers yet?

Ever since I bought an ATI card about 3-4 years ago, I've had to use the third party D3D overrider to force vsync in 80% of all games. It's such an obvious and glaring problem, it's fucking pathetic they still haven't fixed it.

Top Bottom