• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Tips for PC Gaming (like a Pro)

NBtoaster

FlyinJ said:
How is it possible that ATI hasn't addressed the vsync/triple buffering problems in their drivers yet?

Ever since I bought an ATI card about 3-4 years ago, I've had to use the third party D3D overrider to force vsync in 80% of all games. It's such an obvious and glaring problem, it's fucking pathetic they still haven't fixed it.

With both Nvidia and ATI the driver v-sync settings are only for opengl programs.

InfectedZero said:
So I just got this in today and it works flawlessly after getting the drivers to work. If you guys have ten bucks to spend and two weeks to wait, it will be totally worth it.
Knock off 360 wireless adapter.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-xbox-360-2-4ghz-wireless-controller-gaming-receiver-for-pc-black-56546

Very cool! How much tinkering did you have to do to get it working? Was it just installing the x64 driver below like it says in the comments?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/9/4/69446ACF-E625-4CCF-8F56-58B589934CD3/Xbox360_64Eng.exe

Not a big update today. I added the "After Dark" section for threads that PC GAF may be interested in but which aren't really guides or tip threads.

Post this in OP. :D I think everything from DealEx is Chinese products?
It didn't take too long to get it going. I installed the wrong driver so I had to re-install. But the steps are pretty much no brainier. I tested it with GTA 4 and Beat Hazard, works perfect for games that already support the 360 pad. For everything else I use JoytoKey if it hasn't been mentioned.

Deal Extreme Designer's Xbox 360 2.4GHz Wireless Controller Gaming Receiver for PC (Black)
veaemb.jpg

Step 1 - Buy it!

Step 2 - Install Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories Status

Step 3 - Installing drivers from DealEx comment.
Installing on Windows 7 64bit:
Right click on Computer
Go to Properties
Click on Device Manager
Right click on the Unidentified Device
Go to Properties
Go to the Drive tab
Click on Update Driver…
Browse my computer for driver software
Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
Windows Common Controller for Window Class
Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows Version: 2.1.0.1349 [8/13/2009]
Update Driver Warning
Click Yes

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
NIN90 said:
Get X-Mouse if you want to bind Mouse 4 and 5 in games that don't support them.

Will this allow me to bind left/right mouse wheel tilt to game functions?

Grinchy

Banned
FlyinJ said:
How is it possible that ATI hasn't addressed the vsync/triple buffering problems in their drivers yet?

Ever since I bought an ATI card about 3-4 years ago, I've had to use the third party D3D overrider to force vsync in 80% of all games. It's such an obvious and glaring problem, it's fucking pathetic they still haven't fixed it.
I can't even install CCC anymore. If I use Catalyst, and I change any settings, I start getting blue screens. Searching the error codes leads me to things saying "user mode video settings" which tells me that Catalyst is fucking up my shit.

So now I don't even use catalyst, and I can't even force these things in my games anymore. For the most part that's been fine, but I'll eventually try out D3Doverrider.

coopolon

EatChildren said:
Will this allow me to bind left/right mouse wheel tilt to game functions?

The program does have tilt wheel in it, so yes, it should. (I can't test it since my mouse doesn't have a tilt wheel, but I just see it in the program.)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
coopolon said:
The program does have tilt wheel in it, so yes, it should. (I can't test it since my mouse doesn't have a tilt wheel, but I just see it in the program.)

Cool, I'll try it.

Funnily enough I didn't know my mouse wheel had mouse tilt until about a week ago. I didn't even know mice had mouse tilt.

What an age we live in.

Red

Grinchy said:
I can't even install CCC anymore. If I use Catalyst, and I change any settings, I start getting blue screens. Searching the error codes leads me to things saying "user mode video settings" which tells me that Catalyst is fucking up my shit.

So now I don't even use catalyst, and I can't even force these things in my games anymore. For the most part that's been fine, but I'll eventually try out D3Doverrider.
I've had similar issues with past late 2010 and early 2011 Catalyst downloads (from 10.11-11.4 I was basically crashing once a session), but lately the problem seems to have vanished, and my performance has never been better. I assume you are using Driver Sweeper to clear up your old installs? Have you tried booting into safe mode and running it?

What's the advantage to using dropbox for your saves? The only thing I can think of is if you play the same game on multiple computers.

coopolon

The Shadow said:
What's the advantage to using dropbox for your saves? The only thing I can think of is if you play the same game on multiple computers.

It's essentially a cloudsave system. If your computer dies, or you reformat forgetting to back up your saves, whatever all your saves are stored in the cloud.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maybe this isn't necessary, but I think it might be cool to have a thread specifically for getting older PC games up to speed with modern hardware (compatibility, resolution, etc). You could request help and share methods that have worked for you. I tried to make a general modding thread but it died after like ten posts, maybe something like that would be more useful.

I'm posting this here because it could be linked to in this thread, but it's just a thought.

Snuggler said:
Maybe this isn't necessary, but I think it might be cool to have a thread specifically for getting older PC games up to speed with modern hardware (compatibility, resolution, etc). You could request help and share methods that have worked for you. I tried to make a general modding thread but it died after like ten posts, maybe something like that would be more useful.

I'm posting this here because it could be linked to in this thread, but it's just a thought.

Even though GOG has made a lot of that redundant it would be great for all the old people like me who still have huge boxes with CD-ROMs in them. Not sure who would be best suited to create it though, I'd nominate Minsc since he's usually got the goods in every thread about old games I've been in.

Games Window Relocator

This is a fantastic application that will allow you to run any windowed game in "Fullscreen". It removes the titlebar, buttons, borders, etc. from a windowed application. This is extremely useful for games that crash or lock up when you ALT+TAB out of fullscreen. This way you can play windowed at full resolution and still have the appearance of fullscreen but with the added benefit of ALT+TAB.

You can even exit the application once the "Fullscreen" adjustment has completed and there is an option to auto adjust applications whenever the application runs.

Curufinwe

coopolon said:

What's the benfeit of using X-Mouse over the software that comes with most gaming mice like Logitech's Setpoint program?

Snuggler said:

I can definitely make a DOSBox thread later tonight with a walk-through how to set up Gravis Ultrasound and the like for great sounding music.

coopolon

Curufinwe said:
What's the benfeit of using X-Mouse over the software that comes with most gaming mice like Logitech's Setpoint program?

I have not managed to get SetPoint to have custom profiles for different games/applications. X-Mouse does this very easily. So in one game I want my extra mouse buttons set to = and -, but in another I want them set to alt and control. And when not in the games I want them just set to generic keys. So I only assign them keystrokes for those games using X-mouse.

It may be possible to do application specific settings in SetPoint but the best I've found is telling to be able to detect generic games which wouldn't help when you want to use different buttons for different games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So what do you guys use to clean your PC's? I was on dust duty today, but it's not easy to clear that shit out when it's caked into small crevasses. I just poked at it a bit with a q-tip.

Snuggler said:
So what do you guys use to clean your PC's? I was on dust duty today, but it's not easy to clear that shit out when it's caked into small crevasses. I just poked at it a bit with a q-tip.

Compressed air is the way to go. Just blast that shit right off. Just make sure that you check that it's condensation free and don't point it directly at things which aren't nailed down and you'll be sorted.

Wallach

jim-jam bongs said:
Better to be a sucker than a blower. Uh.

That made sense in my head.

Well, they both blow. But the Metro blows a lot harder. Also it's warm instead of cold and unpleasant like compressed air.

But seriously one of those things is a great investment for anyone that even somewhat regularly finds themselves using cans of compressed air.

Wallach said:
Well, they both blow. But the Metro blows a lot harder. Also it's warm instead of cold and unpleasant like compressed air.

But seriously one of those things is a great investment for anyone that even somewhat regularly finds themselves using cans of compressed air.

Yeah, jokes aside it looks pretty awesome. With compressed air the real danger is leaving it too long between cleanings because I'm too lazy to go and grab some.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks. I'll probably go with compressed air since I can get high off the fumes when I'm done cleaning.

Smirk

Neo Member
Is there any way to make sure that multisampling options have been applied (other than visually) after tweaking the profile in Inspector? Does it work fine with games bought via Steam?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Is there any way to make sure that multisampling options have been applied (other than visually) after tweaking the profile in Inspector? Does it work fine with games bought via Steam?

You can make sure by turning off the in game settings, if you still have AA it means they inspector settings are applied. Also yes it works just as well with games bought via steam, that doesn't ( ever? ) affect something like driver-level tweaking.

Smirk

Neo Member
You can make sure by turning off the in game settings, if you still have AA it means they inspector settings are applied. Also yes it works just as well with games bought via steam, that doesn't ( ever? ) affect something like driver-level tweaking.

Well, that's the point. How do I know I still have it if, let's say, I've used very mild AA and don't have an eye for noticing the changes. Thankfully, that's not my case, but is there a better way to be sure it's applied? Maybe an indicator somewhere in Inspector itself or Nvidia Control Panel that AA is currently being used.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well, that's the point. How do I know I still have it if, let's say, I've used very mild AA and don't have an eye for noticing the changes. Thankfully, that's not my case, but is there a better way to be sure it's applied? Maybe an indicator somewhere in Inspector itself or Nvidia Control Panel that AA is currently being used.

Well I thought the whole point was that one should be able to discern...

but

Another way to spot it is to turn on the sensor monitor option in inspector and compare your gpu's usage in this game. Load it without forcing AA stare at a fixed point for 30 or so seconds or w/e without things going on in game and notice it runs at X %, do the same with the forced AA and if your gpu usage has noticeably gone up 5% + while looking/doing the same thing, then the AA is probably applied.

Though, a word of caution - one could mess the settings up, with wrong bits or general settings and the AA won't really manifest itself yet since one changed the settings the performance ( gpu usage ) can take a bit hit. So there's that.

Top Bottom