• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be called HD Golden Shower 3D.

Seriously though, how about we play a little game bet on the odds of the 3 names we know so far? Ok, Cafe technically doesn't count since it is just a code name. I doubt they would ever release a system called Cafe. Place your bets on Stream and Current!

Taker666

nintendostream.com isn't registered to Nintendo
nintendocafe.com isn't registered to Nintendo
nintendocurrent.com..is still available to register by whoever wants it.

Doesn't that pretty much rule out Stream,Cafe or Current as names?

Taker666 said:

Not at all.
Nintendo won't register anything until Tuesday. Just like how there's no E3 stuff up in their web code right now (as seen by Lulzsec).

Taker666 said:

Crap, should have seen this post before making mine. So much for the bet then.

AceBandage said:
Not at all.
Nintendo won't register anything until Tuesday. Just like how there's no E3 stuff up in their web code right now (as seen by Lulzsec).
uh... they'd have to register something beforehand. I don't think it rules anything out though. Nintendowii.com doesn't go anywhere.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Graphics Horse said:
uh... they'd have to register something beforehand. I don't think it rules anything out though. Nintendowii.com doesn't go anywhere.

wii.com was owned by someone else before Nintendo announced it wasn't it?

And then they just bought it.

Just some more information for those who didn't know:

Nintendo will indeed be holding two roundtables both of which will be two hours long and both of which run from 8:30-10:30 EST on Tuesday and Wednesday respectively. Were these roundtables always this long?

DECK'ARD said:
So what other water related names can we get going?

Nintendo Whirlpool
Nintendo Swell
Nintendo Eddy
Nintendo Torrent ;)
"That a swell system you got there"
"Wanna have a swell time? Check out the new Nintendo system!"
"Guys, I'm swelling as we speak"

The jokes practically write themselves. The perfect name for the next Nintendo console.

Rapstah

Taker666 said:

There's nothing at nintendowii.com either.

EDIT: Oh, hang on, they own it though. Never mind.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
DECK'ARD said:
wii.com was owned by someone else before Nintendo announced it wasn't it?

And then they just bought it.

Well to be fair, I think all 3 letter .com domains have been registered for a quite a while

DragonKnight said:
Just some more information for those who didn't know:

Nintendo will indeed be holding two roundtables both of which will be two hours long and both of which run from 8:30-10:30 EST on Tuesday and Wednesday respectively. Were these roundtables always this long?

It was an hour and a half last year.
So that's pretty close. Although, that might be a 5:30 doors open time (like last year) and a 6 start time.
But the fact that they need two of them is exciting.

1-D_FTW

JonathanEx said:
Anyhoo, the name could be registered to a shell company, I recall Wii was registered name/domain with another company?

True. But it was registered for on April 21st, 2011. When did these rumors first hit? Was it before or after?

Taker666

I suppose Nintendocafe/nintendostream may be being held for them...

...but the fact that any of us can go and register nintendocurrent.com..points to that name being highly doubtful. Especially after the supposed leaks.

Shiggy

Taker666 said:

Registered the day IGN reported about the Stream name. And the Cafe domain was also registered after first rumours appeared.

AceBandage said:
So that's pretty close.

Yes indeed. Hopefully no "me too" ports and some high profile third party stuff. What was unveiled in last year's roundtable (I thought the events were solely to discuss developer philosophies)?

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I heard Nintendo wanted to return to it's old school roots with a name that embodies the original - Nintendo Entertainment System.

Their system will be a ton more powerful so I heard they were going to call it the Power Nintendo Entertainment System or PNES for short.

DragonKnight said:
Yes indeed. Hopefully no "me too" ports and some high profile third party stuff. What was unveiled in last year's roundtable (I thought the events were solely to discuss developer philosophies)?

OoT3D was revealed.

It's basically an event where Miyamoto talks about stuff that he's working on.

toxicgonzo said:
I heard Nintendo wanted to return to it's old school roots with a name that embodies the original - Nintendo Entertainment System.

Their system will be a ton more powerful so I heard they were going to call it the Power Nintendo Entertainment System or PNES for short.

Joke from 2006'D.

DrForester said:
I actually thought they'd go without it. Given their whole "LOLGlasses" stance with 3DS, seems a bit weird for them to go with 3D on home TVs.
Well, not much they can do about that on a home console. I guess include a notice "Please we'd rather you play this on an autostereoscopic screen."

wrowa

AceBandage said:
So that's pretty close. Although, that might be a 5:30 doors open time (like last year) and a 6 start time.
I wouldn't look to much into it, though. They are going to show a new console, it's very well possible that they just have too many press requests for their roundtable so that they need to have an additional one this year. It's probably mostly the same.

wrowa said:
I wouldn't look to much into it, though. They are going to show a new console, it's very well possible that they just have too many press requests for their roundtable so that they need to have an additional one this year. It's probably mostly the same.

I don't think so, considering it's the same press at both events.
And the fact that they didn't have two events for the Wii or the 3DS.

jett said:
Cafe supporting 3D was a given.
Oh?
Iwata said:
We would like to propose a new approach to home video game consoles. It’s difficult to make 3-D images a key feature, because 3-D televisions haven’t obtained wide acceptance yet.

He also said last year that Nintendo wouldn't consider it the right time to make a stereoscopic 3D game console until the 3DTV adoption rate hit 30%.

So Nintendo is just going to tell devs they can't add 3D support to their games, even though the hardware is more than capable of it?

I guess I could see that. Nintendo are pretty fucking stupid.

AceBandage said:
I don't think so, considering it's the same press at both events.
And the fact that they didn't have two events for the Wii or the 3DS.
Are you sure? They *did* have two full press conferences for the Wii - the exact same presentation, but different press present. They just didn't publicize that fact (I went to that second conference back in 2006)

Dreamwriter said:
Are you sure? They *did* have two full press conferences for the Wii - the exact same presentation, but different press present. They just didn't publicize that fact.

Did they? Well, I know that IGN said they would be at both events, so I dunno.

H_Prestige said:
So Nintendo is just going to tell devs they can't add 3D support to their games, even though the hardware is more than capable of it?

No, they won't do that. But it'll be something that Nintendo likely won't be part of. I'm sure we'll see some 3RD party games in 3D if they feel like it's worth it.

H_Prestige said:

Nintendo could very easily make the hardware *not* capable of it, just like they made the Wii incapable of HD by just not putting in $5 more of VRAM though in all other ways the system was perfectly capable of it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=13765950

"What's interesting about it is that it's a platform that seems much more oriented to the core gamer, in terms of its capabilities and specifications," said Ken Levine, the Irrational Games creative director who will tear into E3 with "Bioshock Infinite," an airy in-the-clouds follow-up to the stylish undersea saga "Bioshock," published by 2K Games.

Not clear if he's talking from first hand knowledge or based on observations of the same rumours we've all seen, but worth a note I guess.

jett

D-Member
MrMiyamoto said:
Are they making Bioshock Infinite for Project Cafe???? :O That would be something.

It's running on UE3. I'd be surprised if Cafe doesn't get widespread third party support.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MrMiyamoto said:
Are they making Bioshock Infinite for Project Cafe???? :O That would be something.

I think the least that's to be expected, if Nintendo makes a capable system, is for third parties to port multiplat games to it. If it's powerful and the dev environment is accessible enough the ports would be very cheap, so even a small userbase (initially or otherwise) could justify it. Only reason they'd shy away is if Nintendo f-ed up on the business end IMO.

I mean, what's the point of this exercise if not to access the market PS3/360 are occupying right now? I know it seems rather red ocean, but Nintendo apparently wants back in on that type of game/consumer.

What would be something is if Nintendo's system actually, genuinely, kick starts a new cycle of truly next-gen content from third parties, and not just ports. Widepsread PS3/360 ports are a given, it would be disastrous if that didn't happen at least.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ken Levine said:
much more oriented to the core gamer, in terms of its capabilities and specifications

OH YES

Has there been any indication of when in 2012 Infinite is being released?

It would be pretty awesome if it launched on Cafe the same time as PS3 and 360.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
BertramCooper said:
Has there been any indication of when in 2012 Infinite is being released?

It would be pretty awesome if it launched on Cafe the same time as PS3 and 360.
Imagine the butthurt if Nintendo secured 2 months exclusivity launching Infinite on the Cafe first.

Easy_D said:
Imagine the butthurt if Nintendo secured 2 months exclusivity launching Infinite on the Cafe first.
I can't see Irrational agreeing to that, considering the Cafe's userbase will still be very small at that point.

But if Nintendo has their console out by the time Infinite is released - and the Cafe version ends up being the best version of the game - that could be a major coup for Nintendo.

If Nintendo was going to go for ANY kind of exclusiveness for a multiplatform game, it would be either:

A) From a smaller third party game (Like Timesplitters)

or

B) From an super large game (GTA, CoD)

I doubt Bioshock is even on Iwata's radar.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
AceBandage said:
If Nintendo was going to go for ANY kind of exclusiveness for a multiplatform game, it would be either:

If only :( The only FPS I ever liked.

miksar

I don't think that Levine knows much more than any of us, so it is just speculating. If he did, then he'd be under NDA and would refuse to comment.

TS is coming. There's been a lot of rumblings about it being shown at E3.

miksar said:
I don't think that Levine knows much more than any of us, so it is just speculating. If he did, then he'd be under NDA and would refuse to comment.

Not really. His comments don't break an NDA any more than Ubisoft's.

miksar said:
He's already familiar with the console. All major devs are.

And an NDA from Nintendo would only prevent them from talking about the specifics of the console. Nintendo certainly wouldn't want to stop devs from creating positive buzz for it.

Big One

Banned
AceBandage said:

or

B) From an super large game (GTA, CoD)

I doubt Bioshock is even on Iwata's radar.
The later would be the best choice.

If GTAV somehow became a Cafe exclusive shit would sell millions instantly.

But it simply won't happen. But hey Nintendo has money to spare so maybe they'll cook something up similar.

Big One said:
The later would be the best choice.

If GTAV somehow became a Cafe exclusive shit would sell millions instantly.

But it simply won't happen. But hey Nintendo has money to spare so maybe they'll cook something up similar.

It won't be full exclusive, but I could see them getting something like MS did, with exclusive DLC or maybe exclusive Mario content in the game.

Krowley

starok said:
What's the point of a new concole if you get the same games that are already on ps3/360/pc?

You get nintendo games.

Also, what's the point of owning any of the consoles? They're all mostly using their first party content to distinguish themselves.

You buy an XBOX for halo or whatever.. You buy PS3 for God of war or Gran Turismo..You buy nintendo consoles for mario and zelda.

3rd party content is all basically multiplatform these days, and that probably won't change just because nintendo comes out with a new console. When companies want exclusives from 3rd parties, they basically have to finance them.

swerve

Every single interpretation of the rumors I have seen since the very first have pitched it as more hardcore, going for the core gamer, etc.

And yet I am convinced this is just the perspective of the messenger affecting the message. There is nothing in the details that couldn't be applied to the Nintendo Rainbow.

All the 'Nintendo is doing it right this time', etc has been through fanboy filters, even if the fanboy was a developer.

You can show the same specs to five different people, and have five different interpretations. I am treating *any* discussion of 'hardcore focus' as 100%, entirely speculative on the part of each 'source'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom