• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.
swerve said:
Well, not really good at hiding secrets. Building hype, sure.

Cafe *is* the development name, as found on the dev site. So, a leaked secret.

Stream *is* the current (lol) name, so that's not been very well hidden either. If your new machine's name is leaked by IGN, it's not much of a secret.

And Current is some fan idea possibly based on what it might be called if it's not called Stream.

All Nintendo have to do is to stay quiet, and we (and 4Chan) do the rest.

Correction:

Cafe WAS the project name, According to Carig, it's been changed.

Stream is ONE of the names that has been shopped around as final. There's probably half a dozen more.

Current is a who knows what name, likely someone thought "Hmmm... Streams have Currents."

Also, have you guys seen the booth boxes? They apparently shipped Iwata and Reggie in them.
:O
9JrBs.jpg
weforgotairholesohno.jpg

swerve

AceBandage said:
Stream is ONE of the names that has been shopped around as final. There's probably half a dozen more.[/IMG]

Yes. I can't *guarantee* you that it's called Stream. I can just say that it is. And then be proven correct.

swerve said:
Yes. I can't *guarantee* you that it's called Stream. I can just say that it is. And then be proven correct.

Are you willing to make a permaban bet on it being called Stream? You are so certain, in so many threads.

JGS

Banned
jump_button said:
Wii HD sound better, but then if they are trying something new, I think they not want Wii anywhere on it
Ages the console.

The other guys will :lol and say we were HD a long time ago.

I actually like Current with a proper logo and marketing

gerg

swerve said:

Do you know more than you're willing to say or are you just overly confident?

I think the former (saying "I know something but I can't tell you what.", that is) is looked down upon, generally.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
gerg said:
Do you know more than you're willing to say or are you just overly confident?

I think the former (saying "I know something but I can't tell you what.", that is) is looked down upon, generally.

Earlier in the thread he said that he's heard it from numerous people in the know.

swerve said:
You're not wrong at all. They rate the games, and it's up to the publisher to ensure that *after that* the advertising, etc, is appropriately targeted.

They don't have to review every video or preview. Not only that, they are streamlining the process so that things are *self reviewed*. The likelihood of Nintendo sending their preview reel to the ESRB is zero.

ALSO IT'S CALLED STREAM.
Did you not read my quote directly from the ESRB? As part of the contract a company signs with the ESRB, promotional videos that could possibly be shown to end users must conform to certain standards, and information about them must be submitted. And that information can spur the ESRB to require a review. One of the reasons for that is to make sure a game rated T or higher isn't marketed towards younger folks. According to Cactus, they reviewed the video because it includes both games rated T and Mature, and E and E10+. This fits exactly with what is listed on the ESRB website.

swerve

Dreamwriter said:
Did you not read my quote directly from the ESRB? As part of the contract a company signs with the ESRB, promotional videos that could possibly be shown to end users must conform to certain standards, and information about them must be submitted. And that information can spur the ESRB to require a review. One of the reasons for that is to make sure a game rated T or higher isn't marketed towards younger folks. According to Cactus, they reviewed the video because it includes both games rated T and Mature, and E and E10+. This fits exactly with what is listed n the ESRB website.

And yet, how would they know what the games are rated? You've never seen a 'RP' rating on a video for a mature title?

WillyFive

TruePrime said:
Most people would have said the exact same thing before Wii was announced.

Not that I believe it, but trying to say Nintendo would or wouldn't use a stupid name is pointless after that nonsense.

There's a big difference. Wii is silly, Current is boring.

Beth Cyra

swerve said:
And yet, how would they know what the games are rated? You've never seen a 'RP' rating on a video for a mature title?
Wait, isn't that RP apart of the ESRB?

They would still have to get that from them in order to use it, at least I always thought it was something handed out by the ESRB given it's pretty uniform in looks no matter who or what the video is for the most part.

Beth Cyra

Willy105 said:
There's a big difference. Wii is silly, Current is boring.
No, the difference Wii was an unending piss joke for the first year.

Current/Currant or whatever at least won't have that stigma or the stupid as hell spelling.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
So what other water related names can we get going?

Nintendo Whirlpool
Nintendo Swell
Nintendo Eddy
Nintendo Torrent ;)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I like "Stream" better than "Current" but both are ok. Much better than "Wii."

AniHawk

i don't think current would be a bad name. it's certainly better than stream. although my favorite might be the one from one of the mockups, 'beem'

swerve

Plinko said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28253529&postcount=6014

Sorry--you didn't say sources "in the know" but it's pretty much the same thing.

No no, it's not. My *sources* are 'IGN' and that nintendo invite.

However, it can't be the case that every rumor is true. So you need to cross-reference.

Cafe was true, so the 01.net stuff gets added validity

Stream is backed up by that invite, and so the IGN stuff gets added validity.

I've seen nothing to back up any other rumors.

swerve

TruePrime said:
Wait, isn't that RP apart of the ESRB?

They would still have to get that from them in order to use it, at least I always thought it was something handed out by the ESRB given it's pretty uniform in looks no matter who or what the video is for the most part.

I should imagine Nintendo have been registered with the ESRB long enough to have access to the RP icon.

gerg

swerve said:
No no, it's not. My *sources* are 'IGN' and that nintendo invite.

However, it can't be the case that every rumor is true. So you need to cross-reference.

Cafe was true, so the 01.net stuff gets added validity

Stream is backed up by that invite, and so the IGN stuff gets added validity.

I've seen nothing to back up any other rumors.

If "Stream" is backed up by that invite inasmuch as the wave-like graphics look like a "stream", then so too could it said to represent a "current" (of water).

I wonder if "Stream" is just a mis-translation (in either French or English), if, after all, the device does turn out to be called "Current".

swerve

gerg said:
If "Stream" is backed up by that invite inasmuch as the wave-like graphics look like a "stream", then so too could it said to represent a "current" (of water).

where did 'current' come from, though?

Stream came from IGN. Before that image leaked. Current came from ???, afterwards.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I still like Nintendo Bitch, because that's all people are going to be doing about it from now till launch.

Plus the dudebros will like it.

"What you doing tonight man?"
"Playing with my Bitch"

gerg

swerve said:
where did 'current' come from, though?

Stream came from IGN. Before that image leaked. Current came from ???, afterwards.

My point, though, is that we can't use the invitation image to conclusively determine that we should prefer "Stream" to "Current", because so far it supports both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom