• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TunaLover

AceBandage said:
Eh, DKCR was a pretty quick title they did.
They've been reving up production, so even if they do make another one, that won't be the only thing we'll see from them.

I remember it was said when Retro Studios was stucked with the Prime serie *sigh*
I think they will not work in a new IP until DKCR 3.

TunaLover said:
I remember it was said when Retro Studios was stucked with the Prime serie *sigh*

Honestly, I think it'll be both.
They'll work on something new (another old IP), but have a smaller team working on DKCR2.

Woffls

Nintendo don't need to make dudebro games (that's what we mean by 'core', right?) because third parties have got that shit covered from top to toe. Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, GTA... all super brotacular, and more than enough for Nintendo to carry on doing what they do.

It's really not a case of Nintendo appealing to your average bro (heh), it's about Nintendo providing a platform for third parties to do it.

Amir0x said:
MGS3 has better gameplay, better level design, better bosses, more variety, better graphics, better music... and the only memorable plot strand (Big Boss and Naked Snake's relationship) in the whole series of bizarre, unbelievable stories involved in the series. Frankly, I'm not sure what about MGS1 is supposed to better.
Reeallyyy? Snake Eater was a chore to play for me, I'd still rather play MGS1 because the gameplay is kept very simple and enclosed. Okay that's still a limitation, but I'd rather that than Snake Eater's attempt at making the game function in open areas. I can't say which MGS is my favourite, but I know that I enjoyed Snake Eater the least by a long way. Also, I didn't play any MGS games until 2009, so there's no place in my heart for MSG1. Anyway, this can probably be saved for the next MGS Rising thread xD

Krowley

TunaLover said:

With their new console coming out, and needing a graphical showpiece game, I can't Imagine that one of their most visually gifted teams would be working on a Donkey Kong title. Not that its an ugly game, but I would bet retro will be working on something different.

swerve

AceBandage said:
That was a really odd edit, man...

Thanks for the heads up. Fixed.

It's not odd. It's swerve. Man thinks cartridges over CDs was a smart Nintendo decisions.

C'mon, let's be friends. You can't say that going with Sony would have led to success, nor can you say that going with CDs would have made their platform any more popular (in Europe, SCEE got such a thing going with WipeOut and Tomb Raider that there was no way it would have gone any other way, but now *I'm* trying to say I know how things could have unfolded and that's not the case either).

All I'm saying is, I liked my Cart-based N64 games and I am happy they exist. I do not like to think of how they would have been were they on a 2x speed CD drive.

There are plenty of decisions which Nintendo may make with Cafe which I will initially be all 'wha?' and then after playing the games I'll be all 'ahhh yeah!'.

szaromir

Banned
Woffls said:
Nintendo don't need to make dudebro games (that's what we mean by 'core', right?) because third parties have got that shit covered from top to toe. Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, GTA... all super brotacular, and more than enough for Nintendo to carry on doing what they do.
What's brotacular about AC? It's one of a few games that I know several games that really like it.

Amir0x

Banned
Woffls said:
Reeallyyy? Snake Eater was a chore to play for me, I'd still rather play MGS1 because the gameplay is kept very simple and enclosed. Okay that's still a limitation, but I'd rather that than Snake Eater's attempt at making the game function in open areas. I can't say which MGS is my favourite, but I know that I enjoyed Snake Eater the least by a long way. Also, I didn't play any MGS games until 2009, so there's no place in my heart for MSG1. Anyway, this can probably be saved for the next MGS Rising thread xD

Not only does it have the deepest gameplay, but it also finally introduced a controllable camera and therefore the most superior MGS gameplay ideal. And of course much of the joy of manipulating this gameplay comes from the scenarios you're placed in, which are just incalculably superior to MGS1.

I'd agree only that the food eating shit was lame and that the camo changes needed to be more fluidly implemented, but that's about it. I can't name a single thing from MGS1 that was better, and "simple" is not some positive association sooo :p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
All I want is a new Pokemon snap.

Think about that shit for a moment. You could use the gyros or whatever to aim it at the screen and on the screen you'd see through the camera at the pokemen. Oh man.

Instro

Snuggler said:

Think about that shit for a moment. You could use the gyros or whatever to aim it at the screen and on the screen you'd see through the camera at the pokemen. Oh man.

Or they could just make a real Pokemon game, that would be cool too.

swerve

Snuggler said:

Unless the cafe controller knew the size of your screen, that wouldn't work. Not quite the same (even with the sensor bar) as the Wii Remote if you need to be able to point at something in absolute positioning rather than relative.

Also, HD tech varies meaning it wouldn't be possible for a controller-based swivel-camera to 'see' the TV screen either, so that solution is out.

Your *truly beautiful* idea for PokeMon Snap (and I do mean beautiful) is tremendously difficult to pull off unless Cafe comes with a required TV size (no more, no less!)

Woffls

Pokémon Snap should be on no platform other than 3DS. If that system wasn't made for Pokémon Snap, then I don't know what I'm doing with my life.

szaromir said:
What's brotacular about AC? It's one of a few games that I know several games that really like it.
Not exclusively brotacular of course, but it certainly has an appeal to that audience, and that's where the ridiculously high sales figures come from. It has a lot of bro appeal because you're basically slicin dudes all the time and it looks pretty good.

Instro said:
Or they could just make a real Pokemon game, that would be cool too.

I don't think we'll ever see a full Pokemon RPG game on consoles.
What they should do is try to make a game that has similar mechanics, but with more of a focus on online.

Eteric Rice

If I were Nintendo, I'd make friends with Valve. Valve is like the American equivalent of Nintendo in my eyes. I mean for Christ's sake, Portal and Portal 2 are things you'd think Nintendo would come up with.

Amir0x

Banned
sounds like you guys have lost enthusiasm to make it if it's at a crawl. Ah well, hope it comes out anyway. Although the joke has probably been killed at this point :p

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
MGS3 has better gameplay, better level design, better bosses, more variety, better graphics, better music... and the only memorable plot strand (Big Boss and Naked Snake's relationship) in the whole series of bizarre, unbelievable stories involved in the series. Frankly, I'm not sure what about MGS1 is supposed to better.

It was better at, um, being more pixelated and shit. And also better at having more blocky, low-res characters

Certainly true. What a disaster 4 was... MGS2 I always go back and forth on. It had an amazing first act...
I really think 3 is hindered in having a a tranq gun (2 is also guilty of this), excessive crawling, and constant item management. I really think those are it's fatal flaws, especially crawling that really bring the game down a notch. The rest is fantastic.

1 has a great use of corridor infiltration, and dinamic camara use that really stood out, not to mention they limited the use of guns.

3 has so much potential that is somewhat made better in subsistance with a better camara and more forgiving camouflages, but it's still far from perfect. I enjoy it a lot though, but dropping the usual MGS system in a jungle setting wasn't the best idea, it needed rehauling in mechanics before making the jump.

Eteric Rice said:
If I were Nintendo, I'd make friends with Valve. Valve is like the American equivalent of Nintendo in my eyes. I mean for Christ's sake, Portal and Portal 2 are things you'd think Nintendo would come up with.
Those Valve people are reputed to be friendly guys.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Boney said:
I really think 3 is hindered in having a a tranq gun (2 is also guilty of this), excessive crawling, and constant item management. I really think those are it's fatal flaws, especially crawling that really bring the game down a notch. The rest is fantastic.

Agree with your post, Broney, but I like MSG3 for trying something a bit different than the rest of the series. The jungle was awesome, I loved blasting alligators and shit. Obviously MGS2 is the pinaccle of the series, though.

something something cafe

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Amir0x said:
sounds like you guys have lost enthusiasm to make it if it's at a crawl. Ah well, hope it comes out anyway. Although the joke has probably been killed at this point :p
Maybe this is not the right thread to discuss it, but yeah... many did, and left the rest of us severely understaffed. Which means we're going very slowly, but we don't want to get all that work wasted.
About the joke being old now: maybe. The idea was to make a possibly fun game though, so that goal is still more than worth pursuing imho.

Boney

Banned
Snuggler said:
Agree with your post, Broney, but I like MSG3 for trying something a bit different than the rest of the series. The jungle was awesome, I loved blasting alligators and shit. Obviously MGS2 is the pinaccle of the series, though.

something something cafe
yeah, I mean I love it, play through it regularily, but there's so much potential in everything that's hindered by these 3 flaws.

Wonder what's in store for the future, PW was very nice, finally got rid of crawling, and had some decent level design with good emphasis on stealth, with some other cool elements mixed in. Guards were completely retarded though, had a terrible filler story and bosses, and god those fucking latino actors can't speak spanish that pisses me off.

Sigh, yeah I could go for some mocha right now as well. We're going on a date snuggly.

Go dudebro team, I have faith! Don't stop believing, hold on to that feeling

Fou-Lu

I'm REALLY hoping the controller screen will bring us some awesome offline multiplayer games, so tired of this online focus, even Wii is sorely lacking in offline multiplayer. (Though it doesn't even try to make up for it with online)

Amir0x

Banned
Jocchan said:
Maybe this is not the right thread to discuss it, but yeah... many did, and left the rest of us severely understaffed. Which means we're going very slowly, but we don't want to get all that work wasted.
About the joke being old now: maybe. The idea was to make a possibly fun game though, so that goal is still more than worth pursuing imho.

That's messed up. It'd be nice if people stuck to their obligations when they agree to do something.

I don't know what I can do but if you need help with something I could possibly tackle send me a list of goals you need covered still. I want to kill shit, even if the joke is dead.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Eteric Rice said:
You would think so, but I feel that the Valve philosophy is completely different than Nintendo.

V_Ben

Banned
Amir0x said:
That's messed up. It'd be nice if people stuck to their obligations when they agree to do something.

I don't know what I can do but if you need help with something I could possibly tackle send me a list of goals you need covered still. I want to kill shit, even if the joke is dead.

We might have a small presence at the Eurogamer Expo though :p

(I'm sort of here and there...)

speedpop said:
You would think so, but I feel that the Valve philosophy is completely different than Nintendo.

Nintendo needs to incorporate some of Valve's philosophy into their own. Specifically, they need to embrace online gaming more. Not having online play in Starfox 3DS is inexcusable.

Woffls

V_Ben said:
We might have a small presence at the Eurogamer Expo though :p
(I'm sort of here and there...)
Reealllyyy?? I'm going on the Thursday when the attendance is set much lower :D Should be good this year as they're using the bigger hall.

We seem to be covering everything except Café rumours. We really have exhausted all the speculation at point. Which colours are we hoping for? I just want black. Pretty much everything I have is black :D

Woffls said:
Reealllyyy?? I'm going on the Thursday when the attendance is set much lower :D Should be good this year as they're using the bigger hall.

We seem to be covering everything except Café rumours. We really have exhausted all the speculation at point. Which colours are we hoping for? I just want black. Pretty much everything I have is black :D

Really depends on the overall design. Red is always stylish, though.

V_Ben

Banned
Woffls said:

It's my first major event for PSNStores, so I'm going to be bringing some dudebro stuff along :) I haven't been doing much with the guys (mostly because I'm completely useless as a sound engineer, with all the people providing music being much better than me! :/), but I'm really happy that they're continuing, because the game is going to be so awesome.

But anyway, CAFE. :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
herzogzwei1989 said:
I hope Cafe gets a port of Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. In additon to it's own Ridge Racer.

iirc PS3 didn't started to get ports of everything till it's 2nd year, I think Cafe will be the same, I don't think publishers will port everything from the start.

How Many Gamers Want to Buy Wii 2?
And the survey says....
May 13, 2011

According to a national survey of gamers, 27 percent plan on purchasing the Wii 2 (aka Stream or Project Cafe) based on the information currently available, while 28 percent said they would not buy and 45 percent were undecided. The purchase intent for women was 8 percent higher than it was for men.

IGN readers were more interested in purchasing that Wii 2, with 39 percent saying they would buy the system, 22 percent saying no and 39 percent undecided.

The survey was conducted online, with 1,508 participants responding. For the purposes of the study, a gamer was defined as someone who played games for at least one hour per week and also spent at least one hour per week on the Internet.

Do you plan to buy a Wii 2, or is Nintendo going to have to sell you on it first? Let us know below, and remember to play nice and to keep it clean

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1168274p1.html

Woffls

brochiller said:
Nintendo needs to incorporate some of Valve's philosophy into their own. Specifically, they need to embrace online gaming more. Not having online play in Starfox 3DS is inexcusable.
I wouldn't say that embracing online is a philosophical choice. They are on exactly the same page in terms of philosophy, things like 'it's ready when it's ready' is exactly what we'd hear from Valve or Nintendo. They also can both operate autonomously, and without much consideration for their competition.

The beautiful part of their partnership would be in making up for the other's downfalls; Nintendo don't have shooters, Valve has a few; Nintendo doesn't do online that well, Valve does; Valve don't have anything like the variety of games that Nintendo does, and they also don't have much weight to throw around in the console market.

They would be perfect for each other, and that's why it won't happen, because some things will always be too good to be true :(

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Amir0x said:

Unfortunately real life often gets in the way, and it's (rightfully) a priority when you're working on something for free. So I didn't want to blame anyone with that, far from it.

What we need right now is manpower to get shit done, we have made a few attempts at expanding again, and will do more to hopefully manage to speed up a bit (possibly with the help of some new media) :)

As far as wanting to kill shit, we're in two!

herzogzwei1989 said:
"Do you want to buy something unknown at an unknown price?"

HYDE

Banned
User33 said:
Why would you be afraid of Retro making a follow up to their best game?

Metroid Prime is their best game ever, not Donkey Kong Country Returns. There isn't even a competition man.

Woffls

TunaLover said:
Kandinsky said:
Imagining StarBucks Café... larrydavidfaints.gif
Fixed
starbucks.jpg

My enthusiasm is almost entirely gone. The more time passes the more I see this being a let down. The BEST I hope for is on par with 360/PS3 maybe slightly better.

At that point who really cares? Those systems are hopefully on their way out in 2-3 years.

AniHawk

HenryGale said:
My enthusiasm is almost entirely gone. The more time passes the more I see this being a let down. The BEST I hope for is on par with 360/PS3 maybe slightly better.

At that point who really cares? Those systems are hopefully on their way out in 2-3 years.

it'll probably be slightly more powerful than the 3ds considering the power that thing sucks up. maybe the surprise is that it also runs ds/3ds games.

HenryGale said:

Sounds like you need more HYPE TRAIN and less sad train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom