• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.
BY2K said:
It wasn't sarcasm. Seriously.

EDIT: Damn it.

It's just hard to tell from one sentence. And it was hard to get at if you were referring to the marketing working with the general public (which it did) or hardcore gamers (which it was less successful at, but then again, they never really launched ads targeted at that audience specifically).

WillyFive

J-Rock said:
Those 'Wii would like to play' commercials were pretty good.

Yeah, almost Apple-like. It's weird how they never bothered to continue it.

In fact, Nintendo of America has barely done any TV ads in years outside of announcing a new price drop or Wii Fit.

May as well use this time to revive the suggestion that the actual console will double as a cradle charger for the tablet controller. Seeing as Cafe is rumored to resemble a modern SNES, the controller would rest on in the position analagous to the cartridge slot.

It may be a long shot, but this concept would look damn cool and carries several pragmatic advantages. That monstrosity of a controller will have to be charged frequently and it's presumably high price point would make misplacing it an even larger problem. Additionally, such a feature would allow Nintendo to finally deliver on some of those unfulfilled WiiConnect24 promises, with the screen displaying info such as messages, updates, and who's online when the system is in standby.

Willy105 said:

In fact, Nintendo of America has barely done any TV ads in years outside of announcing a new price drop or Wii Fit.

They advertised all their games, really.
Even S&P2.

Fourth Storm said:
May as well use this time to revive the suggestion that the actual console will double as a cradle charger for the tablet controller. Seeing as Cafe is rumored to resemble a modern SNES, the controller would rest on in the position analagous to the cartridge slot.

It may be a long shot, but this concept would look damn cool and carries several pragmatic advantages. That monstrosity of a controller will have to be charged frequently and it's presumably high price point would make misplacing it an even larger problem. Additionally, such a feature would allow Nintendo to finally deliver on some of those unfulfilled WiiConnect24 promises, with the screen displaying info such as messages, updates, and who's online when the system is in standby.

I think it'll use a system like the PS3 with USB charging cables.
However, I do also think the controller will kind of be an always on thing, like the 3DS and it'll display the social features even when the system is "off".

Kard8p3

Willy105 said:

Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M had big advertisements last year and DKCR had so decent ads too.

WillyFive

AceBandage said:
They advertised all their games, really.
Even S&P2.

I see their ads posted online on Youtube, but they barely come on the air, especially compared to Microsoft's, Sony's and the third party games. The only time I thought they had any sort of presence was with Wii Fit, which was advertised on almost every channel almost every commercial break.

Who's going to E3 in this thread? I have some questions that I would like you to ask certain peeps in the industry

Edit: Just replayed Metroid Prime (still the best game released last gen) and i would kill for an HD release. Sorry guys. It was either that or the WW

VerTiGo

Banned
A lot of things sucked about marketing for Wii software however. Many things were great successes, as it was around the globe, but it's still something that Nintendo needs to improve on drastically. Thankfully, strong third party support should do that on its own since these publishers will have their own marketing campaigns for their software. Instead, of games like Other M, Excitebots and to an extent Punchout underperform when their sales potential seems greater.

From The Dust said:
yea, we aint getting one

All 3 Metroid Prime games sold well, but now Nintendo has realized that Retro can make casual-friendly games like Donkey Kong that sell twice as much.

I'd love to see Retro on a new Metroid, but I don't have my hopes up.

TekkenMaster said:
All 3 Metroid Prime games sold well, but now Nintendo has realized that Retro can make casual-friendly games like Donkey Kong that sell twice as much.

I'd love to see Retro on a new Metroid, but I don't have my hopes up.

If Nintendo only cared about what sells the most, we wouldn't see a 3D Mario for the 3DS over a 2D one and we wouldn't have seen Sin and Punishment 2 at all.
Nintendo can do their staples but they can also experiment.

You know, I have to ask because it's entirely possible but what if the Stream isn't even technically on par with the 360/PS3 hardware? I'm kind of curious as to the reaction of Wii owners and whether that would be enough to warrant a purchase.

AceBandage said:
I'd rather get a new MP game than a third release of the first.
:p

I think it's in Nintendo's best interest to give the series a rest for a while. AFAIK, Other: M bombed and each of the Primes saw diminishing sales. They need to concoct a way for the franchise to again generate the excitement it did prior to the releases of Super Metroid and the original Metroid Prime.

evilromero said:
You know, I have to ask because it's entirely possible but what if the Stream isn't even technically on par with the 360/PS3 hardware? I'm kind of curious as to the reaction of Wii owners and whether that would be enough to warrant a purchase.

I doubt ANYONE would buy it, unless it was like $150.
Thankfully, that won't be the case.

3D Mario does sell ten million units per installment though. I love Metroid, but I'm not sure it's coming back any time soon and probably not from Retro now that they've shown that they can make 5+ million selling games and Metroid has never broken two million. If they're going to experiment, they'll probably experiment with something that has a higher sales ceiling. Metroid's probably been experimented too much recently as well, the next game (Whenever they release one which may be a while for reasons stated before) will probably be very safe.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
3D Mario does sell ten million units per installment though. I love Metroid, but I'm not sure it's coming back any time soon and probably not from Retro now that they've shown that they can make 5+ million selling games and Metroid has never broken two million. If they're going to experiment, they'll probably experiment with something that has a higher sales ceiling. Metroid's probably been experimented too much recently as well, the next game (Whenever they release one which may be a while for reasons stated before) will probably be very safe.

Hmmm, I dunno.
You can always leave it to Nintendo to surprise its fans with what they'll do with their franchises.
I do think Metroid will see a bit of a break (not too long, though), but I'm also not expecting DKCR2 to be Retro's next game.

watershed

Banned
evilromero said:

IF it was very cheap like $150, had a great online system, with a strong hook and a good line up of games at $50 then yes I would probably maybe get it.

antonz

TunaLover said:
Now that ps4 rumors start to appear it seems that sony is aiming to another big gap, it doesnt look ideal scenario for cafe.

I wouldnt say that. Microsoft has hinted strongly at moderation. If they do a Moderate jump like Cafe guess who loses? Sony does.

Xbox3 and Cafe would be the dominant pair as far as game development. Sure the PS4 games could run better but who is going to put that much effort in when 2 systems are close and 1 decided to be the goofball

TunaLover said:
Now that ps4 rumors start to appear it seems that sony is aiming to another big gap, it doesnt look ideal scenario for cafe.

Indeed. People are saying 8x the power of the ps3. Smaller gap from last gen to this gen as expected. The Cafe only needs to be roughly 5x the power of what we have now.

linko9

AceBandage said:
I doubt ANYONE would buy it, unless it was like $150.
Thankfully, that won't be the case.

I would buy it, no question. If that's the only way for me to play my Zeldas and Marios and Metroids, there's no way I wouldn't buy it, no matter the specs. It's not like I can't enjoy games made on inferior hardware... hell, all of my favorite games were made on hardware that's worse than what we've got in current consoles. Obviously, I want this thing to be as powerful as it can be, but that in no way affects my decision of whether or not to buy it.

DragonKnight said:
Edit: Just replayed Metroid Prime (still the best game released last gen) and i would kill for an HD release. Sorry guys. It was either that or the WW

When I was playing Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 3 awhile ago, I said to myself, I'd really kill to have another one, with not just HD resolution, but 'next-gen' graphics too.

TunaLover said:

Eh, the 16 core rumor isn't nearly the big gap from the 7 core PS3 as the jump from PS2 to PS3 was.
It'll be about the leap everyone expected.

Instro

evilromero said:

Regardless of what the system is Id buy it because I like playing Nintendo games, I cant similar experiences on any other platform. Id be pretty annoyed but w.e.

Regardless though that scenario is nearly impossible.

DragonKnight said:
Oot says high

a remastered game from 11 years ago

I just doubt they will be so quick to do another Metroid game. wasn't there something about not doing another Metroid Prime game for a while? I just want to see Retro diversify more

evilromero said:

Slightly over PS360 = possible. Not on par = not possible.

TunaLover said:

Not really.

First the source site according to some is questionable, and even it is true there is one key part no one in that thread pointed out.

capable of up to 16 SPEs

Meaning that if Sony is planning to be more profitable sooner, don't expect them to use all 16 SPEs.

Instro

TunaLover said:

I mentioned this in that thread, doesnt seem like people are taking notice, but I did a quick google search about that site and the author of that article and a lot of bad stuff came up. The site has posted pretty bad rumors in the past but also the author has been accused of plagiarism among other things.

herzogzwei1989 said:
When I was playing Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 3 awhile ago, I said to myself, I'd really kill to have another one, with not just HD resolution, but 'next-gen' graphics too.

I think early in the Cafe's lifecycle would be a great time to revisit the Prime subseries, especially after Other M's reception. Moreover I think with games like Bioshock and Fallout3, the console market has moved away from immediately associating a first person view with a pure action shooter like Halo.

So good prediction on our part that neither micro or sony's next gen offerings will be a huge leap. Hopefully nintendo takes advantage of this fact

PS3 hasn't hit its stride and Sony's already talking PS4? Makes me wonder if Cafe' has got'em a bit spooked. So maybe we should raise hype levels to Defcon no Hypecon 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom