• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.
From The Dust said:
a remastered game from 11 years ago

I just doubt they will be so quick to do another Metroid game. wasn't there something about not doing another Metroid Prime game for a while? I just want to see Retro diversify more

Who knows? Maybe that Retro Eternal Darkness 2 rumor is true. If Nintendo want to entice the "Rated M" crowd (I will use this term now instead of the misnomer of "mature gamers"), it would serve them well to set the pace by releasing such a title soon after launch.

Naked Prime said:
PS3 hasn't hit its stride and Sony's already talking PS4? Makes me wonder if Cafe' has got'em a bit spooked. So maybe we should raise hype levels to Defcon no Hypecon 2.

Nope. It's time. Sony supports their stuff for 10 years though. Thing won't release till 2013 anyway. That's 7 years.

Naked Prime said:
PS3 hasn't hit its stride and Sony's already talking PS4? Makes me wonder if Cafe' has got'em a bit spooked. So maybe we should raise hype levels to Defcon no Hypecon 2.

Why not, there's no reason to believe Sony would actually wait 10 years after PS3 to launch PS4. Sony was planning PS4 since before the PS3 came out. I think Cafe does have them spooked a bit.

From The Dust said:
a remastered game from 11 years ago

I just doubt they will be so quick to do another Metroid game. wasn't there something about not doing another Metroid Prime game for a while? I just want to see Retro diversify more

Retro diversifying wouldn't be a bad thing, but if Nintendo are really looking to recapture the hardcore player, expanding so they can handle multiple projects would probably be better.

Then again, I believe that looking to third parties to magically turnaround and become a driving force on a Nintendo platform is barking up the wrong tree, and that it falls on Nintendo to lead the charge on the sort of software they want to see on their platform.

DragonKnight said:
Nope. It's time. Sony supports their stuff for 10 years though. Thing won't release till 2013 anyway. That's 7 years.

I suppose, though for me, there is no "definative mark" left by the PS3. So I guess I keep waiting for that moment.

Naked Prime said:
I suppose, though for me, there is no "definative mark" left by the PS3. So I guess I keep waiting for that moment.

And there probably won't be tbh. I agree and I've played the best of what the ps3 has to offer. Scratch that. Demon Souls. Demon Souls is the PS3s bread and butter. Maybe LG will change things

KingJ2002

yep... i think it's time for companies to announce or hint about their new systems as well.

nintendo needs it badly now that the Wii has basically hit it's peak.

having a system that can output 1080p and new online capabilities is key to gaining a bigger audience and also stealing mindshare.

Sony & Microsoft are also due for new consoles but they don't have to invest in too much graphical capability... but rather taking their consoles and expand on new features to improve the gaming experience.

this gen proved graphics alone doesn't cut it... and the mass public isn't willing to save for a 500 dollar console

watershed

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
yep... i think it's time for companies to announce or hint about their new systems as well.

nintendo needs it badly now that the Wii has basically hit it's peak.

having a system that can output 1080p and new online capabilities is key to gaining a bigger audience and also stealing mindshare.

Sony & Microsoft are also due for new consoles but they don't have to invest in too much graphical capability... but rather taking their consoles and expand on new features to improve the gaming experience.

this gen proved graphics alone doesn't cut it... and the mass public isn't willing to save for a 500 dollar console
The interesting thing to me is that Nintendo's new console will represent dramatic improvement just by virtue of having HD presumably better than PS3 graphics and hopefully a modern online infrastructure.

For Sony and Microsoft their machines are already very capable graphically and have a healthy set of system features so what will they do to make their new consoles shine? For all three we can assume better graphics but as you say that isn't enough.

For MS I think some new, better version of Kinect is gonna come with the console and be the major selling point. It will be interesting to see if this includes some new kinds of AR gameplay.

For Sony I think AR and some expansion on motion controls are gonna be big as well.

What other big leaps in tech are there besides graphics for these companies to leverage? Cloud storage or cloud gaming? Having every retail game available for DD?

What do you guys wager the face layout will most likely resemble?

IGN claims that the analog sticks are not staggered, which makes me think Nintendo designed the controller with a NSMB game in mind (continuing the tradition of designing their controllers around a Mario title), seeing as that's like the only game which benefits from D-padian priority. Looking at the CC Pro, I'm thinking Nintendo will go with that layout; the analog sticks being below and to the inside of the dpad and face buttons.

Might require the controller be somwhat wide, but the mockups with the analog sticks placed above the dpad and buttons just seem unnatural and would come off as alien to the core gamers they are trying to appeal to.

Fourth Storm said:
What do you guys wager the face layout will most likely resemble?

IGN claims that the analog sticks are not staggered, which makes me think Nintendo designed the controller with a NSMB game in mind (continuing the tradition of designing their controllers around a Mario title), seeing as that's like the only game which benefits from D-padian priority. Looking at the CC Pro, I'm thinking Nintendo will go with that layout; the analog sticks being below and to the inside of the dpad and face buttons.

Might require the controller be somwhat wide, but the mockups with the analog sticks placed above the dpad and buttons just seem unnatural and would come off as alien to the core gamers they are trying to appeal to.
Definitely CCPro like.
I'm more concerned with where the touch screen will be positioned.

AceBandage said:
Definitely CCPro like.
I'm more concerned with where the touch screen will be positioned.

From what rumors I can recall, they've reported it's smack dab in the middle rather than above or below the buttons.

I'm just hoping that there are adequate grips, but that they are not so pronounced as to sacrifice the elegence of unit.

Krowley

Fourth Storm said:
From what rumors I can recall, they've reported it's smack dab in the middle rather than above or below the buttons.

I'm just hoping that there are adequate grips, but that they are not so pronounced as to sacrifice the elegence of unit.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it lacks elegance. Nintendo will make an ugly controller occasionally if they think it will be functional.

watershed

Banned
Krowley said:
I wouldn't be too surprised if it lacks elegance. Nintendo will make an ugly controller occasionally if they think it will be functional.
Not after the gamecube they won't. I love the feel of the gamecube controller. I like the grips, I like the depressed over sized shoulder buttons, the button layout etc but its pretty ugly to look at. The rumble unit is an odd bulge, its got too many colors, and the z button is strange.

I don't think Nintendo will ever go back down that road, or the n64 controller route. Elegance is here to stay, and I'm glad for it.

So now IBM and Sony are apparently developing a 32nm Cell processor with just 16 SPEs:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431780

That's just over twice as many as what's active in PS3's Cell. I might be jumping the gun a little here but perhaps, if PS4 uses a Cell with 16 SPEs, it won't be a massive leap over PS3 afterall. Of course, it also comes down to what GPU PS4 uses. It could be anything within the Kepler family (28nm, 2011) or the Maxwell family (20nm, 2013). Then, there's the RAM, that matters too.

Still nowhere near enough info on PS4 to get a sense of how it'll compare to Cafe.

I know this, the waiting game just got a little tougher. Roll on E3 2011.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Retro diversifying wouldn't be a bad thing, but if Nintendo are really looking to recapture the hardcore player, expanding so they can handle multiple projects would probably be better.

Then again, I believe that looking to third parties to magically turnaround and become a driving force on a Nintendo platform is barking up the wrong tree, and that it falls on Nintendo to lead the charge on the sort of software they want to see on their platform.

if Nintendo leads, then third parties will bitch that they can't compete. if Nintendo lets third parties lead, you end up with the launch of the 3DS (not bad, but somewhat disappointing). Nintendo just can't catch a break. I believe they should lead, but space out titles like they are now. a major release every month. we have OoT in June, Star Fox for July, and Kid Icarus and Mario Kart for this year as well. and they will try to get Super Mario 3D out this year if they can. monthly releases give 3rd parties some leeway, so they shouldn't complain too much. but enough armchair analyzing

ManeKast

I love Nintendo. They are the only console manufacturer where I do not need to look at the specs at all. I dont even care. Bringing out a new console? Sold. Nobody makes games like them.

linko9

KrawlMan said:
Just take the Dual Shock D-Pad please. My favorite by far.

Weird... I didn't know anyone liked the Dual Shock D-pad much. It's ok, but certainly not as good as even the one on the wiimote.

KrawlMan

linko9 said:
Weird... I didn't know anyone liked the Dual Shock D-pad much. It's ok, but certainly not as good as even the one on the wiimote.

I find most D-Pads to be shit, I just feel like the Dual Shock D-pad is the least pungent amongst them.

The GameCube controller was probably THE most comfortable controllers I've ever used. It wasn't perfect, but I like it more than any other conventional controller.

ManeKast said:
I love Nintendo. They are the only console manufacturer where I do not need to look at the specs at all. I dont even care. Bringing out a new console? Sold. Nobody makes games like them.

I like nintendo too but this is just blind fanboyism.

Zeal

Banned
i'd say the 360 controller is probably the most comfortable, perfect controller ever made. hoping Stream has something with a similar grip design.

Chiggs

Gold Member
DragonKnight said:

Seriously. 7 years is a good run. Bring on the future.

I'll gag if it gets delayed until 2014.

Gravijah

HisshouBuraiKen said:
Are you kidding me? It's the worst one ever!

360 controller.

Zeal said:
i'd say the 360 controller is probably the most comfortable, perfect controller ever made. hoping Stream has something with a similar grip design.

Stream? Is that what people are calling it now? And yes, the controller is amazing other than the d-pad.

I want Xbox3 and PS4 both by fall 2013, no later.
The 2014-2015 timeframe is just too far away.
Neither Microsoft nor Sony will give Cafe 2-3 years on the market to itself.

Best D-pads got to: Neo Geo Pocket Color, original DS and the Wii Classic Controller. That aside I wonder what will become of the the publushers that just pushed tons of crappy shovelware on the Wii? Mobile games or even digital only games?

Gravijah

Naked Prime said:
Best D-pads got to: Neo Geo Pocket Color, original DS and the Wii Classic Controller. That aside I wonder what will become of the the publushers that just pushed tons of crappy shovelware on the Wii? Mobile games or even digital only games?

First place always has a home for shovelware. So, whoever that may be.

AniHawk

herzogzwei1989 said:
I want Xbox3 and PS4 both by fall 2013, no later.
The 2014-2015 timeframe is just too far away.
Neither Microsoft nor Sony will give Cafe 2-3 years on the market to itself.
i doubt that'd happen. as long as microsoft and sony stick together, they can make developers fit pc games onto their systems.

thing is, i doubt either one wants to stick with the other. microsoft got into the market to prevent sony from taking over the living room. if that's still their goal, they'd launch late 2012 with the intention of stealing nintendo's thunder as well as making sony arrive last, alone.

antonz

AniHawk said:
i doubt that'd happen. as long as microsoft and sony stick together, they can make developers fit pc games onto their systems.

thing is, i doubt either one wants to stick with the other. microsoft got into the market to prevent sony from taking over the living room. if that's still their goal, they'd launch late 2012 with the intention of stealing nintendo's thunder as well as making sony arrive last, alone.

I really think Microsoft would be better off trying to stick with Cafe as its buddy and leave Sony the odd one out. Let Sony go balls to the wall if they want because if Xbox3 and Cafe are relatively close it means Sony loses the game

AniHawk said:

I'm just not understanding your post here. Developers are very constrained by the current HD consoles. I don't see them lasting more than 2 more years before the next-gen consoles arrive.

AniHawk

antonz said:
I really think Microsoft would be better off trying to stick with Cafe as its buddy and leave Sony the odd one out. Let Sony go balls to the wall if they want because if Xbox3 and Cafe are relatively close it means Sony loses the game

next gen, i think sony's timing depends more on software availability than cost of hardware. after two generations of expensive consoles that were difficult to develop for, i don't think they're in any position to try it again, and i think they realize that.

the problem for them is that they're kinda blowing their load this year and early next year with so many ps3 games and the ngp launch. the next time they'd have a good cluster of games from their a and b teams available would be late 2013.

antonz

AniHawk said:
next gen, i think sony's timing depends more on software availability than cost of hardware. after two generations of expensive consoles that were difficult to develop for, i don't think they're in any position to try it again, and i think they realize that.

the problem for them is that they're kinda blowing their load this year and early next year with so many ps3 games and the ngp launch. the next time they'd have a good cluster of games from their a and be teams available would be late 2013.
Which might be why we are seeing the remastering of PSP games and such. As you say development cycle is reaching a point if they do a 2013 launch they need to start setting resources to those games now.

AniHawk

herzogzwei1989 said:
I'm just not understanding your post here. Developers are very constrained by the current HD consoles. I don't see them lasting more than 2 more years before the next-gen consoles arrive.
i'm just thinking that if they wanted to, they could basically stick together while the cafe struggles to seriously establish itself as a new generation console (since i assume it will not get any major exclusives or exclusively receive big name pc ports like the 360 did early on). if the cafe was on the market by itself for two years, it would kinda be like the genesis or the playstation where people knew about it but weren't buying it like crazy.

AniHawk said:
i'm just thinking that if they wanted to, they could basically stick together while the cafe struggles to seriously establish itself as a new generation console (since i assume it will not get any major exclusives or exclusively receive big name pc ports like the 360 did early on). if the cafe was on the market by itself for two years, it would kinda be like the genesis or the playstation where people knew about it but weren't buying it like crazy.

I guess that's a possibility. Sony & Microsoft basicly stick it out for another few years after Cafe launches, with Cafe struggling as a new console with a small userbase compared to 360/PS3. Yeah it's possible, but I don't see this happening.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
e3-2011-igns-printable-e3-predictions-checklist-20110524114112200.jpg

Seems like a good way to leak some "inside info" without many ramifications (if IGN actually knew anything lol).

magash

Personally I think Nintendo should outright buy Take-two instead of trying to money-hat individual games. By buying take-2 Nintendo will automatically win over the dudebro crowd as well as add a large number of talented developers to their roster. Another option could be Valve.

With the purchase of either Take-two or Valve Cafe will be a major hit among the hardcore.

Gravijah

magash said:
Personally I think Nintendo should outright buy Take-two instead of trying to money-hat individual games. By buying take-2 Nintendo will automatically win over the dudebro crowd as well as add a large number of talented developers to their roster. Another option could be Valve.

With the purchase of either Take-two or Valve Cafe will be a major hit among the hardcore.

Hoo boy.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Gravijah said:
Advance Wars kind of sticks out on that list. Is it even that big of a franchise?

Well it's not Pokemon or anything. I would say it's more like....... Pikmin.

The one for me that is totally out of left-field is Portal 3DS. I haven't really thought about it before, but Two Screens could really create some interesting puzzles for that franchise.

Take-Two or Valve? They should just buy both and get a majority share of EA so they can lock up the Madden crowd as well.

AniHawk said:

I think MS would want to put away Sony over Nintendo keeping that from happening.

Gravijah said:
Advance Wars kind of sticks out on that list. Is it even that big of a franchise?

Hm, I think it makes sense from Nintendos point of view. Didn't the DS take off around the same time it Dual Wars was released? Plus what a better way to attract the hardcore than a hardcore strat game? Plus it is fairly easy for casuals to get into and has a strong multiplayer aspect which Nintendo has been pushing. Anyways besides that remake of the Fire Emblem a while back what has Int. Sys. been doing?

AniHawk

bgassassin said:
Take-Two or Valve? They should just buy both and get a majority share of EA so they can lock up the Madden crowd as well.

I think MS would want to put away Sony over Nintendo keeping that from happening.
well, yeah. and i think that's what's going to happen, but if cafe was by itself for two years, i don't think it would be gloom and doom for sony and microsoft.

Gravijah

Sneaky Gato said:
Hm, I think it makes sense from Nintendos point of view. Didn't the DS take off around the same time it Dual Wars was released? Plus what a better way to attract the hardcore than a hardcore strat game? Plus it is fairly easy for casuals to get into and has a strong multiplayer aspect which Nintendo has been pushing. Anyways besides that remake of the Fire Emblem a while back what has Int. Sys. been doing?

AW games are awesome, it just stood out in that list. I dunno, it's just much more niche than everything else mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom