• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 1080p on PS4 - 900p on Xbox One. 60fps on both.

spwolf

It looks all right on PS4.... day sunny mode looks nothing special, at least on big screen, might be aided by poor YT video.

Big question is how much fun will it be without wheel.... stupid Logitech.

-Amon-

Looks incredible. AI behaves quite realistically.

I do not agree at all. The porsche segment show really bad ai behavior, expecially ai driving painfully slow at mid corner, coupled with bad bad bad behviour in the straights, when driving in a group.

However, good graphics, wide choice of cars and interesting racing tracks selection are keeping me interested.

-Amon-

It looks all right on PS4.... day sunny mode looks nothing special, at least on big screen, might be aided by poor YT video.

Big question is how much fun will it be without wheel.... stupid Logitech.

I'm in the same boat, i feel your pain too :(

Journey

Banned
They are out there indeed, they pop up every so often, it is true they have lessened after repeated lessons in how software can not give what the hardware does not have.

I think you're missing the point. If they're not here in this thread, then why is the old tired joke being used? Reserve that shit for people making ridiculous claims, not every time you see DX12 in a post.

It does not.

Polyphony development/R&D annual costs are somewhere around 8-10 million USD, which includes all salaries for 140+ employees (Japanese salaries and Japanes taxes included), all costs for hardware and software, trips, subsidiaries costs, R&D activities that span much wider than GT series, sponsoring costs and such.

It is a steady cost for almost a decade now, that transmorphed into the famous "GT5 development cost was 50 million $" mantra.

Marketing budget is handled by SCE.

Where are you getting your numbers from? 60 MM is still pretty expensive for a game w/ out marketing http://kotaku.com/5397660/how-much-did-gran-turismo-5-cost-to-make

Stick with Driveclub and wait for Forza 6 or get this as a stepping stone until Forza 6?

Just wait for actual impressions I'd say.

For me personally, I didn't like it on PC in the early beta, but may give it another shot. Because of the wheel issue (also have a Logitech), and I haven't seen any support for gyro steering a la DriveClub for Project Cars on the horizon, I'm currently not that interested in getting this at launch.

_machine

It does not.

Polyphony development/R&D annual costs are somewhere around 8-10 million USD, which includes all salaries for 140+ employees (Japanese salaries and Japanes taxes included), all costs for hardware and software, trips, subsidiaries costs, R&D activities that span much wider than GT series, sponsoring costs and such.

It is a steady cost for almost a decade now, that transmorphed into the famous "GT5 development cost was 50 million $" mantra.

Marketing budget is handled by SCE.
Where are you getting the 8-10 million?

I can't imagine a 140+ employee getting even close 10mil burnrate and as Ravi elaborated in the Midora thread:
The other posts summed it up pretty well, but thought I'd add some other things.

A good programmer is going to easily cost more than $120k a year in salary alone, and you generally need one of those to be your tech lead. If I'm ever in a position to hire such a person, that programmer will make more than I do, the CEO / owner of the studio.

And while $10k/man-month sounds like a lot, the reality is that most AAA or high-prestige studios tend to run more like $15-20k/man-month. A friend of mine who runs a high-profile independent studio said their yearly burn rate is $25M, for a studio with around 120 people.

This is what things cost.

zoobzone

For me personally, I didn't like it on PC in the early beta, but may give it another shot. Because of the wheel issue (also have a Logitech), and I haven't seen any support for gyro steering a la DriveClub for Project Cars on the horizon, I'm currently not that interested in getting this at launch.

I see, I just saw the 14min video released today and it looks superb on the PS4.

I will however wait for actual retail impressions instead of preordering this game.

fresquito

You surely mean the early pre-alpha. If anything, this game has showed how bad informed are gamers about development of videogames in general. So many people formed an idea of what the game was about and how it felt based on pre-alpha code. So many people have been judging it like it was already finished throughout all this time.

For that reason alone, I'm doubtful we will ever see a project such as this game again. Unless it turns out to be a big success at least. Still, people need to learn what they have in their hands.

Non-starter because of the digital triggers I'm afraid!

That reminds me of something I've been wondering for a while: does anyone know if pCars lets you customise your controls to accelerate and brake with the analogue sticks? I got used to accelerating with the right stick after getting terrible RSI from using R2 for hundreds of hours in GT5, and now I'm convinced it's the one true way :p

0racle

Color me impressed.

I am a "fan" of racing games but im not hardcore about them. I immensely enjoy playing driveclub as well as FH2 and I think I have pinpointed what made them so enjoyable- MUSIC

does this game have a soundtrack? music playing while you race?

Noobcraft

Color me impressed.

I am a "fan" of racing games but im not hardcore about them. I immensely enjoy playing driveclub as well as FH2 and I think I have pinpointed what made them so enjoyable- MUSIC

does this game have a soundtrack? music playing while you race?
I don't know about a soundtrack but the engine noises are really nice.

Foshy

That reminds me of something I've been wondering for a while: does anyone know if pCars lets you customise your controls to accelerate and brake with the analogue sticks? I got used to accelerating with the right stick after getting terrible RSI from using R2 for hundreds of hours in GT5, and now I'm convinced it's the one true way :p

Considering all the other customisation options they have, I'd be surprised if you couldn't change the controls.

You can't remap the analog sticks to the triggers in the Vita/PS4 accessibility options, right? That would be cool too if possible but iirc it isn't.

I do not agree at all. The porsche segment show really bad ai behavior, expecially ai driving painfully slow at mid corner, coupled with bad bad bad behviour in the straights, when driving in a group.

However, good graphics, wide choice of cars and interesting racing tracks selection are keeping me interested.

Perhaps it's the static AI difficulty you're used to ;-), but pCARS' AI runs to a scale of 100%. If I had to guess, I'd say that's 50 or 60. While I wish they were faster still, I think 100 will cover the vast majority of people.

Random 100% video

That couldn't possibly be because last gen we had smaller differences lauded as being almost game breaking for PS3 owners by the "media" but now that the performance delta is larger and switched sides, it doesn't matter anymore, right?

Nah. Probably not. That has nothing to do with it.

Yea some PS3 games were absolutely slammed by Western media. I think the difference is those games were sub 720p and the lower it goes the more jarring it is. But you also have performance as well again sometimes being much more pronounced compared to the 3-6 or so fps difference we might see with some games today.

I'm almost positive it has to do with most all games are over 30 fps and all games now are over 720p so it's showing diminishing returns for a lot of people.

KKRT00

That couldn't possibly be because last gen we had smaller differences lauded as being almost game breaking for PS3 owners by the "media" but now that the performance delta is larger and switched sides, it doesn't matter anymore, right?

Nah. Probably not. That has nothing to do with it.

Or You could for example take off conspiracy glasses and educate Yourself how perceiving resolution works for resolution below 720p, 720p, 900p and 1080p on 1080p displays.

Shin-Ra

Or You could for example take off conspiracy glasses and educate Yourself how perceiving resolution works for resolution below 720p, 720p, 900p and 1080p on 1080p displays.
You mean how even native 720p games were upscaled because of 768/1080p panels but now everyone can benefit from 1:1 pixel mapping.

Daffy Duck

Well that escalated quickly

mLeRax.gif

Wait, so this game has crashes like that in it?

HOOOOOLLLLLYYYYY SHIT!

Edit: Where are the skid marks?

EGM1966

Not really surprised. I was more surprised when they said they were targeting 1080p/60fps on both TBH. The game has always looked like it's going to push hardware and in those situations (vs games deliberately targeting parity such as Destiny) I just don't see how PS4 and XB1 could be the same in resolution and frame rate given the relative specifications of each console.

Personally I think given the game design 60 fps was always the key metric the developer should lock in then adjust resolution/assets from there per platform and that seems to be what they've done.

It was good they tried for 1080p for XB1 but I'm sure 900p/60fps with good assets is preferable to hurting the assets or frame rate.

Now I just hope that 60fps is really stable.

Journey

Banned
Not really surprised. I was more surprised when they said they were targeting 1080p/60fps on both TBH. The game has always looked like it's going to push hardware and in those situations (vs games deliberately targeting parity such as Destiny) I just don't see how PS4 and XB1 could be the same in resolution and frame rate given the relative specifications of each console.

Personally I think given the game design 60 fps was always the key metric the developer should lock in then adjust resolution/assets from there per platform and that seems to be what they've done.

It was good they tried for 1080p for XB1 but I'm sure 900p/60fps with good assets is preferable to hurting the assets or frame rate.

Now I just hope that 60fps is really stable.

I wouldn't mind if they targeted 1080p 60fps, so long as they don't compromise the PS4 version, and I'm sure it can be done, they'll just need to tone down the visuals on the X1, but given that 900p looks great and provides such a drastic improvement for X1, probably more substantial than removing most graphical effects, then it just makes sense to drop the res and keep all assets. As people keep pointing out, dropping from 1080p to 900p is substantial, but imo mostly substantial on paper because as huge as a 633,600 pixels drop is, looking at both options displayed is not nearly as drastic as the figure makes it sound, and I'm pretty sure less noticeable than missing assets, so I'm pretty sure the devs made the right choice.

Endo Punk

I'm itching for a next gen racer to tide me me over until SEGA makes another Outrun or release of GT7. Driveclub was wholly unsatisfying so I'm hoping ProCars does the trick, please tell me it has 2 player splitscreen at least.

fresquito

I'm itching for a next gen racer to tide me me over until SEGA makes another Outrun or release of GT7. Driveclub was wholly unsatisfying so I'm hoping ProCars does the trick, please tell me it has 2 player splitscreen at least.
It has 2 player splitscreen.

It doesn't

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Oh, three 4K screens in surround. I was wondering where they were getting that 12k number from.

For the 16:9 aspect ratio on a single screen, we would have been talking about 6651 x 3741.
sqrt(12) = 3.46x pixels on each side compared to 1080p, increased from 2x pixels per side with 4k.

Rising_Hei

why is this dx12 still being discussed? DX12 is no different than any new SKU updates consoles have always had, XONE might be getting one of these that improves its performance, but so will PS4 with no buzzwords and things will keep being atleast the same as they are today

"DX12 for XONE" is just your regular SKU update, if you think it's going to have some kind of magical effect..... well.... cloud power was always going to be magical too, and it has done absolutely nothing for the ONE's performance.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Eh, I reckon I'll still pick it up on the Bone. I just much prefer the controller for racers. If Logitech support had made it in, I'd have grabbed it on PS4. Ah well, slightly reduced IQ won't bother me too much.

Difficult for this to come across without sounding snarky but it isn't intended. How would you know? There have only really been two proper racing games on Xbox and one on PS4. Is that enough to really get enough of a feel of the controller to know which you prefer?

I don't like one over the other particularly, but I suppose the Xbox might have the edge simply for the concave triggers with a more definite stop at the end, and less slippery sticks. TBH without a sim racer on PS4 I don't know how the controller will be until I play PCars on it.

Vroadstar

That's good news.

whether there is, or isn't AF.

I think he is asking why you are so quick to assume that there will be no AF for PS4 which when only a small number of PS4 games had issues with it? and they were eventually patched with no performance degradation as he mentioned.

Heck it's not even a topic of the thread in the first placed.

fresquito

I'd take that footage with a grain of salt. It belongs to a pretty old build (you can tell because the HUD was changed months ago). So I would't expect it to be representative of the game as it is today on that console.

Edit: lol, it even still has the Mugello circuit, which was removed long ago (and had like zero work done ever since it was first included two/three years ago).

Mascot

I'd take that footage with a grain of salt. It belongs to a pretty old build (you can tell because the HUD was changed months ago). So I would't expect it to be representative of the game as it is today on that console.

Edit: lol, it even still has the Mugello circuit, which was removed long ago (and had like zero work done ever since it was first included two/three years ago).

I wonder why Alan uploaded that today? Doesn't make sense..!

Obvious answer: In that guy's underpants after that wreck....

Bravo, sir.

SmokyDave

Difficult for this to come across without sounding snarky but it isn't intended. How would you know? There have only really been two proper racing games on Xbox and one on PS4. Is that enough to really get enough of a feel of the controller to know which you prefer?

I don't like one over the other particularly, but I suppose the Xbox might have the edge simply for the concave triggers with a more definite stop at the end, and less slippery sticks. TBH without a sim racer on PS4 I don't know how the controller will be until I play PCars on it.
Vibrating triggers, my man. One and done for me.

I'd rather be using a wheel obviously, but if I'm settling for a pad then the much better trigger shape and the vibration feedback tip it toward the One controller. Plus, it feels better in my hands for long sessions.

Top Bottom