• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M 3.0 |OT| More Smash Bros. is a good thing

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Had a lockup.

Only thing that sucks about it is that I have to put the stupid batteries back in the stupid remote to start it back up

TDLink

So I noticed the files are in projectm/pf rather than private/wii/app/RSBE/pf....should I put the pf in the projectm folder where I have always done it (in RSBE on my SD Card) or do I just put it in the root? If I put it in the root do I delete the RSBE folder?

Revven

Does that mean it won't work on Wii U's vWii?

It does work on Wii Us.

So I noticed the files are in projectm/pf rather than private/wii/app/RSBE/pf....should I put the pf in the projectm folder where I have always done it (in RSBE on my SD Card) or do I just put it in the root? If I put it in the root do I delete the RSBE folder?

Just place the projectm folder in your SD Card, that is the new file structure.

Remove any traces of the older Project M files from your SD Card (unless there's any custom content you have you want to keep and put into 3.0).

Parablank

sorry if this is a dumb question but how do you enable turbo mode? I've looked nearly everywhere and I see no setting for it

narton

It does work on Wii Us.

Just place the projectm folder in your SD Card, that is the new file structure.

Remove any traces of the older Project M files from your SD Card (unless there's any custom content you have you want to keep and put into 3.0).

I think I have some old hacks a long time ago when it was still called Brawl +. What files do I need to delete in my file structure?

My Wii's homebrewed, but I've barely done anything with that. So I copied the contents to my SD card. Brawl is in the disc slot. Went to Homebrew Channel, updated it. There's two listings for the newer Gecko version, but both take me to a "Project M" skinned screen. I pick Launch Game...

And Brawl starts.

What step am I missing?

Tan

Items nerfs lol.

fake edit:
- Falcon Kick is now B-reversible
Wait a minute
Oh this isn't what I though. Still cool!--probably better actually.

Revven

My Wii's homebrewed, but I've barely done anything with that. So I copied the contents to my SD card. Brawl is in the disc slot. Went to Homebrew Channel, updated it. There's two listings for the newer Gecko version, but both take me to a "Project M" skinned screen. I pick Launch Game...

And Brawl starts.

What step am I missing?

Sounds like you're missing the codes folder and the gameconfig.txt in the root of the SD Card.

narton said:
I think I have some old hacks a long time ago when it was still called Brawl +. What files do I need to delete in my file structure?

You would delete the codes folder and I believe you would also delete the /private folder.

Ezalc

Question: Will I need to delete my save of Brawl to be able to play this? I don't see anywhere in the Wii system or sd card any custom stages. To delete all the ones I have I'd have to go and manually delete all of them in the game. Is that what needs to be done or what?

Going hackless method here.

Anteo

Question: Will I need to delete my save of Brawl to be able to play this? I don't see anywhere in the Wii system or sd card any custom stages. To delete all the ones I have I'd have to go and manually delete all of them in the game. Is that what needs to be done or what?

You need to delete the stages one by one.

Alchemy

Believe you can delete all the custom stages in Brawl's menus.

neora

And Brawl starts.

What step am I missing?

When you load through Gecko, does it say something like "SD Codes found, applying..." when its loading the game?

If it does and it loads Brawl with the character select screen layout of Project M, then you are in the same boat as me... no idea why it doesn't work and there is literally no reason why it shouldn't.

Sounds like you're missing the codes folder and the gameconfig.txt in the root of the SD Card.

Nope. Just copied them over freshly a second time. Do I have to do anything when Brawl starts post-Gecko, or should it be automatic?

When you load through Gecko, does it say something like "SD Codes found, applying..." when its loading the game?

If it does and it loads Brawl with the character select screen layout of Project M, then you are in the same boat as me... no idea why it doesn't work and there is literally no reason why it shouldn't.

It doesn't say that, no. It just loads Brawl normally.

Behold!

ib2aGsHllFcZ8H.png

BTW, the character model performance issues are real. Fox v Falco tanked my frame rate quite a bit.

How would I do this?

I have a homebrewed Wii, but I can play it off the Brawl disc.

Do I do the no homebrew? Or do I do the homebrew method?

GAMERG0D

Anyone get this working on a Wii U? I did the hackless method and it didn't work. The previous Project M worked on Wii U with the occasional fail to boot into the program.

Revven

Anyone get this working on a Wii U? I did the hackless method and it didn't work. The previous Project M worked on Wii U with the occasional fail to boot into the program.

Two things you should make sure are right:

1) projectm folder on the root of your SD Card
2) Your SD Card is not named "Project M"

It's a different file structure than last time.

And if you have private, you need it for the stage file obviously.

Gazoinks

I have it working on mines too but for some reason my sound is distorted. It sounds all choppy even though Dolphin 4.0 is showing 100% speed.

It's on your end, works fine for me.

Also, yeah, performance drops are a thing. Starts getting pretty slow with two or three of the new models fighting at once. I'm running on Dolphin though, so a console might perform better. Have to remember to test sometime.

This is exactly what I'm going through.

Kouichi

Oh my god, I adore the Melee Falco alt with the red palette swap. So nostalgic.

I just played a FD match with Melee Falco against Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr.Mario. It felt so right.

Hit a glitch with Roy's (cool new) Final Smash, on Smashville. It KOed my Falcon early, and he continued to do it against an empty target. But Falcon didn't actually die for a while it seems, just rocketed off the top. It took another ten or twenty seconds before he appeared spinning in the background in the "becoming a star" animation, then finally respawned.

This is pretty nice so far. It's not as jarring to readjust to as I thought it might be, since I'm a few years out from Melee.

GAMERG0D

Two things you should make sure are right:

1) projectm folder on the root of your SD Card
2) Your SD Card is not named "Project M"

It's a different file structure than last time.

And if you have private, you need it for the stage file obviously.
Thanks, I figured out what went wrong.

Veal

Also, yeah, performance drops are a thing. Starts getting pretty slow with two or three of the new models fighting at once. I'm running on Dolphin though, so a console might perform better. Have to remember to test sometime.

How are you loading this in Dolphin? I don't even know where to find an SD card file to spoof.

It's weird but on dolphin 3.5 the game runs 100% speed with hardly no stuttering but then the sound is popping and crackling but on dolphin 4.0 the game stutters no matter the setting and the sound is messed up there too.

Oh my god turbo mode is like learning lucario all over again, except on crack. The reaction time needed for anything longer than a 3 hit combo is insane. I had to turn on half speed just to get the hang of it.

I do like how you can jump cancel out of forward air tilt/down air tilt. Being able to pull off new moves that in the past would have been considered destructive for high fall speed characters like fox makes for a real treat.

Does anyone know what the full statue of limitations on turbo are?

Top Bottom