• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M 3.0 |OT| More Smash Bros. is a good thing

Tan

Turbo mode is nuts! I'm so bad at doing anything cool. Ivysaur Upair to downair is a pretty sweet combo though lol

solomon

Ness is so much fun, all my other mains are pretty much the same but I need to get used to olimar. He feels so much more sluggish, so many moves have a ton of start animation :(

I'm here with my friends right now and we're trying to get 3.0 to work to no avail. When you press "Launch Game" it takes us to regular Brawl.

Does anyone know what the problem is? We named the SD Card Project M. We simply extracted nohomebrew.zip and put the contents on the SD Card.

Tan

I'm here with my friends right now and we're trying to get 3.0 to work to no avail. When you press "Launch Game" it takes us to regular Brawl.

Does anyone know what the problem is? We named the SD Card Project M. We simply extracted nohomebrew.zip and put the contents on the SD Card.

Two things you should make sure are right:

1) projectm folder on the root of your SD Card
2) Your SD Card is not named "Project M"

It's a different file structure than last time.

And if you have private, you need it for the stage file obviously.

I'm really liking Roy. Which is weird considering I didn't play much of him in melee.

WillyFive

You know what I love the most about Project M?

The new animations. They do some stuff that Nintendo should have done in the real deal.

Okay I finally got the game running smooth. OpenGL is the only plugin that works without the annoying slowdown and stutter. it seems as if direct3d doesn't utilize my GPU or something. The sound is not popping or anything and the only thing left is getting the game to save.

Is there a way to use Project M without any of the custom stages? I generally prefer regular Brawl's stages to most of the pared down/more simplistic "tournament legal" stages in Project M 2.6, but I am interested in checking out 3.0 itself.

Going hackless method here. I haven't ever bothered customizing Brawl before, sorry if this is a noobish question!

Kyne

Is there a tutorial on how to install all of this this? I've never put any iteration of P.M on my Wii before.

Is there a way to use Project M without any of the custom stages? I generally prefer regular Brawl's stages to most of the pared down/more simplistic "tournament legal" stages in Project M 2.6, but I am interested in checking out 3.0 itself.

Going hackless method here. I haven't ever bothered customizing Brawl before, sorry if this is a noobish question!
I hate how they neutered a lot of levels myself, I'm with you there.

TheOGB

Banned
You know what I love the most about Project M?

The new animations. They do some stuff that Nintendo should have done in the real deal.
Yessss, Sonic's new moves from Battle... so good.

Sonic himself is just so much more awesome here. Game & Watch seems mostly unchanged (which is great because this dude is a killa) and Toon Link's tweaks are also appreciated. This is a ton of fun already.

Village

My sD is to big for this Mod

=A=

I wanted to play online with it.

hmm until they fix it I am going to just yank the alternate costumes out of this and use it in my other set up.

Anyone else in this boat

I hate how they neutered a lot of levels myself, I'm with you there.

Yeah. What they did to the Kid Icarus and Sonic stages is just depressing.

Yeah, Green Hill Zone is the worst. I love the regular version of that stage but the Project M version is way too small. :(

Kind of a persistent issue with a lot of Project M's stages, really. Too small and not enough different terrain to mix things up. Seems like the Brawl stages are mostly just reskinned versions of Final Destination and Battlefield now, and then all that's left are the Melee and 64 stages.

That's not to take away from the insane attention to detail in this mod, of course, but yeah, I'd rather have the regular stages if possible.

Fancykong

So I downloaded the 3.0 installer and had it install in my SD card, but when I start it up on my system, it keeps showing v.2.6 stuff. What did I do/not do?

TDLink

Yeah, Green Hill Zone is the worst. I love the regular version of that stage but the Project M version is way too small. :(

Kind of a persistent issue with a lot of Project M's stages, really. Too small and not enough different terrain to mix things up. Seems like the Brawl stages are mostly just reskinned versions of Final Destination and Battlefield now, and then all that's left are the Melee and 64 stages.

That's not to take away from the insane attention to detail in this mod, of course, but yeah, I'd rather have the regular stages if possible.

I think it depends. I agree that Green Hill Zone is worse. But the change to Port Town (Grabbable platform) is really great, and I definitely prefer Castle Siege not having the inside portion with those statues. The new Norfair is way better than the old one. I feel the new Rumble Falls is much more fun than the super scrolling one from before as well.

Distant Planet I like both the new and old ones. I like Dracula's Castle, but I wish it didn't replace Luigi's Mansion. I also really miss Spear Pillar.

I think Metal Cavern is an absolute garbage stage. It's just there because it was that one stage we couldn't use in 64...but it just isn't fun to fight on. Far too tiny.

I like Skyloft though.

I also don't understand why some stages like Flat Zone 2 are still there over potentially something like Spear Pillar either.

I'm not sure what's going on. My private has the "pf" folder, and I threw in the cheats folder into codes. I try the same method for loading project m like I always have been,

homebrew -> gecko -> launch

Weird thing is, it'll load with the 2.6 cheat file, but not have all the characters. I feel like that mediafire thing gave me a fradulent .gct file for 3.0. With the 3.0 .gct file it'll just load Brawl -_-

WillyFive

Project M 3.0 doesn't work like past versions, it needs the Project M folder in the root of the SD card. The pf folder is not used as I can tell.

and I definitely prefer Castle Siege not having the inside portion with those statues.

How come? That was one of the most glaring changes I saw that had no benefit, it seemed like an arbitrary cut that lowered the quality of the stage.

solomon

For those having trouble

Make sure you back up everything and format the SD card, for some reason it doesn't work (for me at least unless you format and then extract onto the root)
-So back up
-Format
-Add all your old stuff except the new stuff that are now from the new PM extract, so you should not be getting any "would you like to replace existing file".

For those having trouble

Make sure you back up everything and format the SD card, for some reason it doesn't work (for me at least unless you format and then extract onto the root)
-So back up
-Format
-Add all your old stuff except the new stuff that are now from the new PM extract, so you should not be getting any "would you like to replace existing file".

What about the folder before pf? Does it actually have to be RSBE -> projectm -> pf? Or RSBE -> pf?

Fancykong

For those having trouble

-So back up
-Format

Thanks, trying now.

solomon

What about the folder before pf? Does it actually have to be RSBE -> projectm -> pf? Or RSBE -> pf?
I'm using 7-zip (not winrar) to un zip, but once you format the card put the. zip on it with 7-zip make sure you right click extract here and not extract file.
So should look like this when un zipped SD Card>project m and some other files

In Project m folder you will find pf

IronLich

I guess I can assume 3.0 isn't ready to be used with Riivolution just yet... that's fine. Beggars can't be choosers.

TDLink

How come? That was one of the most glaring changes I saw that had no benefit, it seemed like an arbitrary cut that lowered the quality of the stage.

The statues stop moves, which is annoying. I like stage hazards for the most part but those just straight halt your attacks.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They took Snake's Rocket Launcher out, and give him a shitty tranq gun. That was funny at first but now it's hurt when I had to reload.

I'm using 7-zip (not winrar) to un zip, but once you format the card put the. zip on it with 7-zip make sure you right click extract here and not extract file.
So should look like this when un zipped SD Card>project m and some other files

In Project m folder you will find pf

projectm folder goes on the root of your SD Card -- the old file structure isn't used. And also make sure your SD Card is not named Project M at all.

Oh LOL, that explains it. Just got back from playing a lot of mewtwo... I love this.

Tan

Huh, Kirby gets Mewtwo's down B.

I wonder if there are any other Kirby exceptions.

Yup, Lucas' side B.

He gets Ivysaur's solarbeam but there's no obvious way to charge it up again.

Going from playing standard Brawl for days to Project M is super hard. All the characters fall like bricks, lol. And having to stand still to grab items is a pain.

Also, why don't Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard have Final Smashes?

solomon

Wish they could remove sandbag outside of training, but I could see why it's hard to remove since it's part of the original training room.

Makai

Kirby and Roy are fun. Wow at Icees. I thought they were good from the trailer, but DAMN they are good. I don't even play Ice Climbers and pulled off a long combo string right out of the box.

Top Bottom