• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M 3.0 |OT| More Smash Bros. is a good thing

Yeah! Turns out I installed the wrong version to play online. Is there a community thread? If not, there should be! I hope GAF organizes some tournies. It would be fun!
You're in it. :p I'd be down to do a tournament at some point. We have enough people. It's just with the lag...it might not be worth it.

So long as you're just in it for fun, the lag shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Screw it, let's just all rent a hotel conference room and do a tourney there.

Hatchtag

Banned
So long as you're just in it for fun, the lag shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Screw it, let's just all rent a hotel conference room and do a tourney there.

Eh, even if it's just for fun, input lag can get annoying. Characters who rely on small, precise hitboxes are really hard to use online.

And GAF lives too far apart. I mean, the closest Smash tourneys to me are always 3 hours away :/.

Eh, even if it's just for fun, input lag can get annoying. Characters who rely on small, precise hitboxes are really hard to use online.

And GAF lives too far apart. I mean, the closest Smash tourneys to me are always 3 hours away :/.

Well I'm in Michigan, so I bet it's farther than that =P

I have never ever, ever been more frustrated fighting someone online than I was you. I can't handle the missile camping...

You have a deadly Samus on your hands for sure.

Great games, Beats! Your Ganondorf and Samus are a lot of fun to play against. That side-b with Ganondorf, though...it always makes me feel so stupid! I see what's coming, but keep falling into the trap.

Beats

Great games, Beats! Your Ganondorf and Samus are a lot of fun to play against. That side-b with Ganondorf, though...it always makes me feel so stupid! I see what's coming, but keep falling into the trap.

Good games. Yeah, that side b can be deadly! It can be hard for me to predict though if you don't get up right away.

I have never ever, ever been more frustrated fighting someone online than I was you. I can't handle the missile camping...

You have a deadly Samus on your hands for sure.

I hope it wasn't too annoying. > . <

I found your Marth gave me the most trouble when I was using Samus and it was fairly difficult to keep him off me because of the speed and range of his normals. I definitely had to play more carefully against him. Also, your offense is so relentless lol.

ErichWK

My coworkers want us to go back to playing brawl because they think there is input lag. I'm so upset. I think it's because they actually are losing to King Dedede. It's not my fault my hammer is just.

My coworkers want us to go back to playing brawl because they think there is input lag. I'm so upset. I think it's because they actually are losing to King Dedede. It's not my fault my hammer is just.
Did you try turning on input assistance like I suggested a couple pages back? Give that a shot before giving up.

Cool video! I will show them to prove that they are mega babies.
Keep in mind that the reason why they might feel that Project M is less responsive than Brawl, despite having less input lag, is because Brawl will buffer your next action with 10 frames and will execute it as soon as possible. You can see how this works in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYFnneqyMbw

At the start Falco jabs, but the player hits B within 10 frames of the jab being executed, before the animation is even finished, then the laser is fired as soon as the jab is completed without any additional input. You can see that the player completely takes his thumb off of the buttons but the laser fires anyways. This does not occur in Melee or Project M, you must wait the for the jab to complete before the game will register the input for the laser. Second example shows Marth short hopping and the play double tapping the C-stick forward. Marth executes a forward air and then a forward smash once he touches the ground without any additional input. Again, this does not work in Melee/Project M. This allows less technical players to be less precise with their inputs, but it can also cause a lot of unwanted actions during complicated and technical maneuvers for more competitive players. After playing Melee for a long time, the 10 buffer frames makes the game feel very sloppy, loose and imprecise. The Input Assist option is meant to ease Brawl players into the Melee/Project M way with a stricter 3 buffer frames, which is still a bit more lenient than the default 0 buffer frames.

I doubt this will change the minds of your friends, even if they understand the differences they'll still most likely point to the Brawl system and say they like it better since it's what they're used to.

I'm online if you'd like to play

I'll be right there, one moment!

EDIT: Connected after a few tries. Wow, this lag is something fierce today. Let's try a few more.

EDIT 2: Want to try and join mine? The lag is making it unplayable, I want to see if I have better luck hosting.

EDIT 3: A few of those were quite a bit better, I didn't get destroyed by nearly as much! One more and I'm out. Thanks!

Top Bottom