• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M Demo: Smash Bros. Brawl with Melee Gameplay! [Update: Out Now]

Silly question time. Will this really work with the PAL version of Brawl. The exploit it uses to load the stuff (Smash Stack) only works with US copies.

TSA said:
What is wrong with Balanced Brawl? Is there really an obsession to change Brawl back into Melee so you can play with the "new" characters and "levels"? I get that some of Brawl's stuff was stupid even to non-competitive players (tripping, etc), but this seems like it's borderline obsession.

Why call it an obsession? The modders want to do it, they can do it, some people want to play the resulting game and that's reason enough.

Some people really act like there's some unwritten rule that this shouldn't exist. :/

TSA said:
Seriously, it will never be as awesome or fun as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yybd02LrYJs
or this (the character matchup, not the level since it's in Project M)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIvEN24xeoQ&feature=related

Those aren't tied to Balanced Brawl, nothing would keep you from adding that to PM or any other Brawl mod if you chose to do so.

On a side note, you should have linked to a Zero video if you really wanted to showcase creativity in Brawl hacking. That character actually has his own moveset.

Starwolf_UK said:
Silly question time. Will this really work with the PAL version of Brawl. The exploit it uses to load the stuff (Smash Stack) only works with US copies.
Unfortunately, I don't believe the current demo will work on PAL copies of Brawl. I think the Project M team plans to release the demo for PAL versions but all of the codes will need to be converted so I don't know when that will happen. There will be a PAL version of the full game, but I don't know if it'll be released day and date with the NTSC version. If you have an NTSC copy of Brawl you can play it on an PAL Wii using Gecko OS though.

Anth0ny

Demo is out today! Hype!

While we wait, I have here some custom music if anyone's interested. They're from the "Smashing Live" CD.

Smashing_live.JPG

Super Smash Bros. Melee....Smashing Live! (Live Orchestra music) - Planet Corneria By Shadow118 - DEMO

Super Smash Bros. Melee....Smashing Live! (Live Orchestra music)- Jungle Gardens By Shadow118 - DEMO

Super Smash Bros. Melee....Smashing Live! (Live Orchestra music) - Great Bay Shrine By Shadow118 - DEMO

Super Smash Bros. Melee...Smashing Live! (Live Orchestra Music) - Dr. Mario By Shadow118 - DEMO

Super Smash Bros. Melee...Smashing Live! (Live Orchestra music) - Fountain of Dreams By Shadow118 - DEMO

Super Smash Bros. Melee...Smashing Live! (Live Orchestra music) - Pokemon Medley By Shadow118 - DEMO

Super Smash Bros. Melee...Smashing Live! (Live Orchestra music) - Planet Venom By Shadow118 - DEMO

Super Smash Bros. Melee...Smashing Live! (Live Orchestra music) - Yoshis Story By Shadow118 - DEMO

Super Smash Bros. Melee...Smashing Live! (Live Orchestra music) - Fire Emblem By Shadow118 - DEMO

Super Smash Bros. Melee...Smashing Live! (Live Orchestra music) - Green Greens By Shadow118 - DEMO

Super Smash Bros. Melee...Smashing Live! (Live Orchestra music) - Rainbow Cruise By Shadow118 - DEMO

They're all in .brtsm format, so just drag them to your sound folder and name them appropriately and you're good to go.

TreIII

Ben2749 said:
Will it be worse than usual games? I've had no problems when playing with certain people.

The main is making sure EVERYBODY involved has the same hook-up. The less you give the game's silly netcode a reason to rage quit over even the most innane thing that could cause it to desynch, the better.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
That's really cool! I actually heard of this news yesterday. I wish I had my Wii in my dorm so I could try this out.

Can I install this to work with Configurable USB Loader and the Homebrew Channel?

Basically, how does this fit in with the NeoGAF tutorial wikidot?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I should try this today, just to see how it is.

The only real reason I'd have for it would be the new stages... in theory, it should be possible to enable just those stages and not the rest of the hackery.

MNC

Okay, I'm not normally fan of brawl hacking because all it did was whiiiiine about how bad brawl was and people not happy with characters and it spawned horrendous skins.

However, this seems really worthwhile, lots of effort, plus the fact it can be run from just an SD card without modding is REALLY cool. I'll try this out in the near future.

Wow, very cool. I'm excited! Brawl was the biggest let-down in videogame history (IMO, of course), but it's always seemed like all the pieces were there for it to be great. If it can be fixed, I'll be thrilled.

mugwhump

MasterAJ22 said:
Can I install this to work with Configurable USB Loader and the Homebrew Channel?

Basically, how does this fit in with the NeoGAF tutorial wikidot?
Yup, that's how I've been doing it forever. Just choose 'enable ocarina codes' and run it.

Parham

Banned
Edit:
Anth0ny said:
Okay, so the server crashed within 15 seconds. The installer downloads the files off the server, so it won't do any good to download it until the server is stabilized.

Hang tight guys.

Hopefully they release the ZIP files soon.

Anth0ny

Okay, so the server crashed within 15 seconds. The installer downloads the files off the server, so it won't do any good to download it until the server is stabilized.

Hang tight guys.

EDIT: Looks like it's working now. Finished installing and I'm playing now. It's fucking fantastic.

MiniDitka

Can someone tell me where I'm supposed to put this on my SD card? Can it go anywhere or is it supposed to go in a folder(using the hackless Wii)

Anth0ny

MiniDitka said:
Can someone tell me where I'm supposed to put this on my SD card? Can it go anywhere or is it supposed to go in a folder(using the hackless Wii)

The root of your SD card.

udivision said:
So... can we use more than the 14 listed characters? It's just they haven't been "redone" yet, right?
Unfortunately, no. The Project M team doesn't deem them presentable right now whereas the characters included in the demo are pretty much considered finished barring any breakthrough developments that require adjustments to them.

MiniDitka said:
Sorry for being computer illiterate but what is the root of an SD card?
Basically like E:, or F: or whatever your SD card is.

Anyway, installing the demo and it said it was done but I just ended up getting vBrawl with L-Canceling and Wavedashing. I guess it only partially downloaded and now I'm getting 503 timed out error. I'll try again in a bit.

DDayton

Anth0ny said:
EDIT: Looks like it's working now. Finished installing and I'm playing now. It's fucking fantastic.

... I'm starting to get suspicious. That might be because all I get is a 91KB installer file that pops up "can't be run in DOS mode" and ends whenever I try to run it.

Hyunkel6

DavidDayton said:
That might be because all I get is a 91KB installer file that pops up "can't be run in DOS mode" and ends whenever I try to run it.
Same here. I'm guessing it only partially downloaded because of the high amount of traffic on the server. I'll try again tomorrow.

DDayton

Hyunkel6 said:
Same here. I'm guessing it only partially downloaded because of the high amount of traffic on the server. I'll try again tomorrow.

I'm confused what the point was of releasing an exe installer -instead- of a ZIP archive. I can't see how that's any better for the server...

Perhaps someone could mirror the download...

MiniDitka

Barrow Roll said:
Unfortunately, no. The Project M team doesn't deem them presentable right now whereas the characters included in the demo are pretty much considered finished barring any breakthrough developments that require adjustments to them.

Basically like E:, or F: or whatever your SD card is.

Anyway, installing the demo and it said it was done but I just ended up getting vBrawl with L-Canceling and Wavedashing. I guess it only partially downloaded and now I'm getting 503 timed out error. I'll try again in a bit.
Thanks. Gave it a try but it didn't work : (

Yeah I would hold off on trying to install it for now. Looks like the servers are overloaded right now. I just tried installing it again and although I was able to connect I'm still only getting a partial download.

DDayton

Barrow Roll said:
Yeah I would hold off on trying to install it for now. Looks like the servers are overloaded right now. I just tried installing it again and although I was able to connect I'm still only getting a partial download.

What's the file size of the installer you downloaded?

DavidDayton said:
What's the file size of the installer you downloaded?
90.4KB.

Also I just realized that the only thing that the installer downloaded was the Sonic team color textures and the custom songs. The Wavedashing and L-canceling was from a .gct that I already had on my SD card.

They have a chat channel set up here:
http://bit.ly/ihSFfu

Although it seems like only mods can chat right now. They just said they're still working on fixing all of this so I guess we gotta sit tight a bit longer.

I think it's working as it should for me. 90.4KB seems to be the proper filesize and the install went without problems.

Zelda's Din's Fire is amazing, it's like Testament found his way into Smash lol.

DDayton

Holy Order Sol said:
I think it's working as it should for me. 90.4KB seems to be the proper filesize and the install went without problems.

Zelda's Din's Fire is amazing, it's like Testament found his way into Smash lol.

See, I'm still confused, as I'm not getting download errors -- I'm getting "This program can not be executed in DOS mode" errors...

Top Bottom