• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project P-100 (Nintendo/Platinum Games) announced for WiiU [Director: Hideki Kamiya]

zroid

Banned
Thanks for the link to the GameSpot video, chums. I have to say, I was already psyched but this is just looking better and better. Nintendo seemed determined to have me lose interest in Wii U, but thankfully at least someone over there knew what was up. Between this, Pikmin, Mario and Rayman, I think I have everything I need now for a day 1.

After calming down since realizing Bayonetta is properly dead, I've warmed up to this a bit. It's frantic and pretty much the only thing on WiiU that I've really want to get my hands on. It looks like a budget title visually, but whatevs.

If Nintendo gives me a reason to pick up the console, I'll check this out.

mclem

The more I see of this, the more it appeals to me. I think it's quite a bit higher-poly than people are giving it credit for, too; just a different use of power rather than a lack of it.

Interesting that the mission counter on the screen goes into triple digits; they might be rather short, but that suggests there's plenty of them at least.

SpokkX

Between this, Pikmin, rayman legends and smbU wiiu has got quite the nice launch lineup.

Actually one of the best ever iif they all release...

Also kamiya games are ALWAYS amazing

visually, it looks little better than a wii game.

Originality wise, is blows everything ive seen this E3 out the water

It remains to be seen if this is as "fun" as kamiyas previous efforts, but you would be a fool to bet against him.

On the surface, not my kind of game, but on the pedigree alone I will have to play this one day to see what's it about, even if i will never buy a wii u for myself.

Curufinwe

I just saw Keighley's interview with Inaba on Spike, and I loved how he made sure to mention Kamiya at least two or three times.

I like that Nintendo and Platinum now have a formal relationship.

Game seems like a more action like pikmin without a time limit, thank god. Looks fun.

thefro

Holy crap... this game looks insane

Beat-em-up x Pikmin x drawing elements on the pad

It does look a lot better than a Wii game when the view zooms in or crazy effects start happening. You're right that they could probably do the zoomed out view on the Wii though.

Glad folks are actually liking this. Thought it might just be new console hype clouding my vision xD

This could potentially be the 'geometry wars' of wii U.

zroid

Banned
kbP9M.png

All the director has to say about E3 and his game's unveiling.

Typical Kamiya-san. Love ya, man!

OK, this looks frigging sweet.

The conference was bad, but, almost despite Nintendo's best efforts, I really want a WiiU. P-100, ZombiU, Rayman, Pikmin and surprisingly-nice-looking NSMBU are good for me.

Concentrating exclusively on launch games is the most stupid shit from Nintendo, though.

beril

visually, it looks little better than a wii game.

Originality wise, is blows everything ive seen this E3 out the water

It remains to be seen if this is as "fun" as kamiyas previous efforts, but you would be a fool to bet against him.

On the surface, not my kind of game, but on the pedigree alone I will have to play this one day to see what's it about, even if i will never buy a wii u for myself.

That's not even remotely true. It may not be a great technical showpiece for a new console but it's leagues ahead of wii and technically better than most comparable games for PS3/360. The buildings in particular have really nice geometry, the effects are really nice and it has a shit load of stuff going on

Roto13

There are basically three things that sell me a system.

- Zelda (which is why I knew I'd buy a Wii U eventually)
- SoulCalibur
- Platinum Games/Kamiya

Who knew it would be the third thing that would sell me a Wii U?

Just watched that gameplay footage. Game looks great. Exactly what I'd expect from Kamiya. Will totally buy this. Hope the Wii U isn't too expensive.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This looks nuts. On one hand, I can see how this might not have made a great initial impression at the press conference. Still, think it was worthy of being showcased.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't seen anybody mention this but the multiplayer has to be online right? One of the videos showed four player controlled groups of heroes all transforming into hanggliders but the Wii U can only handle two pads. Since I'm assuming you need to use the pad to play the game that would mean a four player game would require at least two consoles...Right?

MDX

This is a system seller for me. Why the fuck didn't Nintendo show this during the conference? Worried it wouldn't demo well because of the small on-screen characters, perhaps?

Might appear to look too similar to Pikmin, therefore confusing the audience.

Himself

Ok after watching that gameplay video this is game of the show just nudging out last of us. Bonkers.

I also wonder if Platinum will stick with Wii U over Ps4/xbox in order to keep development costs down.

Levyne

Banned
Why did Batman get conference time over this...it's not everyone's cup of tea but at least it's not a year old (by launch)

Alrus

Why wasn't this shown at the conference? It looks so fun! This would have been much more exciting than some of the stuff they showed :/

Why did Batman get conference time over this...it's not everyone's cup of tea but at least it's not a year old (by launch)

Having the president of WB on stage announcing support, and showing of one of the best games of last year, is arguably much more important than demoing this on stage.

The more I see of this, the more it appeals to me. I think it's quite a bit higher-poly than people are giving it credit for, too; just a different use of power rather than a lack of it.

Interesting that the mission counter on the screen goes into triple digits; they might be rather short, but that suggests there's plenty of them at least.

The city use a high-poly count as it donsnt use lots of textures. For example all the text is modelled instead of using texture, same with windows (that have a nice next gen reflection), bricks and similar things. It all bumps out of the building and I think it feels really nice, like a toy model.
Also lots of AA. Its really nice and sharp.

The big bosses also look really nice.

Curufinwe

Why wasn't this shown at the conference? It looks so fun! This would have been much more exciting than some of the stuff they showed :/

I think most of us could have done a better job of choosing which games to show at all the E3 press briefings.

KarmaCow

Does the size of the shape you draw affect the form you take? Like if you draw a short line, it makes a shorter, but more powerful sword.

MDX

Having the president of WB on stage announcing support, and showing of one of the best games of last year, is arguably much more important than demoing this on stage.

People are probably not understanding the political moves Nintendo needs to make
to get third party support secured before the other two launch their systems.

Plus, Nintendo is publishing this game. They have plenty of time to market it.
And even though it wasn't on stage, it still got its own special reveal.

beril

The city use a high-poly count as it donsnt use lots of textures. For example all the text is modelled instead of using texture, same with windows (that have a nice next gen reflection), bricks and similar things. It all bumps out of the building and I think it feels really nice, like a toy model.
Also lots of AA. Its really nice and sharp.

The big bosses also look really nice.

The buildings look amazing but I thought the giant boss was the worst looking part of the footage. I didn't mind occasionally zooming in on extremely low poly characters, just found it charming to be honest, but the robot seemed to have a lot less detail compared to everything else in that scale.

mclem

The OP says 1-player, but in the video at the part where the coloured triangle airplanes are flying around, it's clearly 4-player?

There was a mention in the showcase earlier in the thread that it'd only use one *GamePad*, but you're right in that there definitely is a sequence that appears to run four distinct colour-coded squads. They could be independently controlled by a single player, perhaps (much as in Pikmin 2/3), but I think it's also possible that there's online play allowing multi.

There was a mention in the showcase earlier in the thread that it'd only use one *GamePad*, but you're right in that there definitely is a sequence that appears to run four distinct colour-coded squads. They could be independently controlled by a single player, perhaps (much as in Pikmin 2/3), but I think it's also possible that there's online play allowing multi.

I think you can see 1P, 2P, etc. above the planes in that section.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This looks nuts. On one hand, I can see how this might not have made a great initial impression at the press conference. Still, think it was worthy of being showcased.

The easy solution would have been to warm up the crowd with a sizzle reel of the game's more bombastic elements, and some creative editing, highlighting Kamiya's development history. Then, have Inaba come on the stage and show off the demo section that was shown for Gamespot.

That would have gotten some cheers, methinks.

Kard8p3

It's definitely some kind of multiplayer. They're labeled as P1. P2. and so on.

Kamille

I was pretty disappointed with the conference and reconsidering whether I'd even get a Wii U at launch, but watching that Gamespot gameplay video really sold me. This game looks insanely fun and original. shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

Top Bottom