• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Spark Information Q&A

Stampy

Just watching the latest stream. I have a question, is it possible to create custom biom brushes?

btw, I don't know if my computer was slowing the video down, but there were some serious slow downs when the scenery was changed to night time. I hope by the time the game comes out, the engine will be optimized to endure such crowded levels with fogy effects and stuff.

Guys.... guys... GUYS!!!

I just realized something. You can totally create "game tools" in this game... Creating a char sculpt tool should be fairly doable... I'm already having a brainstorm with myself on how that could be done.

Video replay of this afternoon's Project Spark stream is now available if you missed it live: http://youtu.be/c9V9jHdDKD4

If you haven't already signed up for beta, you can do so at www.projectspark.com although it'd be super helpful if someone could also collect the names of any NeoGAFfers that are interested into a single list for me, so I can make sure you all get keys early.

-Mike
Is this real life?

Congrats on the game and on being super awesome!
I derped so bad. Completely forgot there was a livestream today.

Watching right now. :)

edit: Also, I guess I can compile the list. I'm sure no one wants their emails out in the open, so just send me a PM and I'll make the list unless someone else wants to. Also guys I need the email that you used when you signed up on the beta website.

PM sent!

And thank you for compiling this list ^^

Delryk

Had great fun viewing the stream last night! This does look amazing :) cant wait to get on the beta for both W8 and X1 !

Pm sent to be added to the list! ;)

klaus

Arghh, I am in dilemma now, to get a new comp and get in the beta early or not. I was planning to get only xboxone, but this is tempting now.
Same here - I'm willing to buy Win8 just for the PS beta, but a bit hesitant to reinstall my dev machine (my notebook certainly can't handle the game)..

Guys.... guys... GUYS!!!

I just realized something. You can totally create "game tools" in this game... Creating a char sculpt tool should be fairly doable... I'm already having a brainstorm with myself on how that could be done.

Now we're already on Inception level with PS. I fear what will happen to people's minds once we get more info on multiplayer.

wwm0nkey

This game has me really tempted to get an X1 (maybe after first price drop). This and rime for PS4 are the most interesting next gen games to me personally. I hope they include a little story like LBP to play with. Looks fun!
Not an X1 only game.

Defect

edit: Also, I guess I can compile the list. I'm sure no one wants their emails out in the open, so just send me a PM and I'll make the list unless someone else wants to. Also guys I need the email that you used when you signed up on the beta website.

Sent PM.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

PM Sent

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
You've all been really awesome, and I'm sure we can work something out. :)

It's a good thing I signed up right after the E3 reveal!

its this game day one and f2p?

It's not day one and it's free. We don't know about microtransactions yet but I think it's a safe bet they'll be selling content packs.

PM sent :D

belushy

Banned
I just added all those who sent me pms on the list. :D

Cheers!

Also, remember the starting beta is for Win8 in October, Xbone in January. I am not sure if early beta entries into this part of the beta counts as getting in early for the Xbone beta. Just letting guys know so you are not let down if you've requested to be put up high on the beta list, but can't play until January.

Not sure, but there might be Windows 8 week trials on Microsoft's website.

Mike_Lescault

Neo Member
Also, remember the starting beta is for Win8 in October, Xbone in January. I am not sure if early beta entries into this part of the beta counts as getting in early for the Xbone beta. Just letting guys know so you are not let down if you've requested to be put up high on the beta list, but can't play until January.

Thanks again for helping out with this. We're still nailing down exactly how our Xbox One beta process will work, but you should definitely sign up at www.projectspark.com for access to both the Win8 beta scheduled for October, and the Xbox One beta scheduled for January 2014.

Also, it looks like this thread got picked up by OXM. http://www.oxm.co.uk/62334/more-footage-from-project-spark-xbox-one-beta-to-launch-january/ Apologies if this brings too much outside attention to our discussion here.

wwm0nkey

Thanks again for helping out with this. We're still nailing down exactly how our Xbox One beta process will work, but you should definitely sign up at www.projectspark.com for access to both the Win8 beta scheduled for October, and the Xbox One beta scheduled for January 2014.

Also, it looks like this thread got picked up by OXM. http://www.oxm.co.uk/62334/more-footage-from-project-spark-xbox-one-beta-to-launch-january/ Apologies if this brings too much outside attention to our discussion here.
Its not like they can PM belu so it should be all good.

belushy

Banned
I wondering what kind of things, other than video games and movies/cutscenes, that you can make with this. Like Lukas said, about the sculpting thing. People have figured out how to make somewhat working computers on vanilla Minecraft. With the tools we get in Spark I'm sure you can go way past that. Though I guess the synthesizer someone made in the internal Alpha is proof of that, being able to record and play-back what you've clicked is really awesome.

dejay

Banned
I'm tempted to send a PM for a beta key but I'm going to be tied up with a work project that's consuming my life at the moment - I dare not dive into this.

It's killing me, because I won't even be able to play GTA V for another three weeks at least :(

Orca

Finally got to watch the last livestream and there's a lot of stuff there that was new to me. Am I right in believing you could link opening a door to transition the player into an entirely new level if you wanted to do some huge indoor area? They showed it built into the mountain, which was kind of awesome on its own, but It would be nice to be able to build some underground cave and then introduce it to the overland map by just carving in an area with a teleport/transition device there. That way you can have your really detailed overworld and still do big dungeons.

belushy

Banned
Finally got to watch the last livestream and there's a lot of stuff there that was new to me. Am I right in believing you could link opening a door to transition the player into an entirely new level if you wanted to do some huge indoor area? They showed it built into the mountain, which was kind of awesome on its own, but It would be nice to be able to build some underground cave and then introduce it to the overland map by just carving in an area with a teleport/transition device there. That way you can have your really detailed overworld and still do big dungeons.

You mean like it gives a full animation of you opening a door before it links to the new level? I'm sure that would be possible by putting a time delay on the level link and the door. Pretty much you'd click the action button, and then in the brain set it to were it plays the animation and then you set a certain amount of time and then it does the "level link" command.

Orca

You mean like it gives a full animation of you opening a door before it links to the new level? I'm sure that would be possible by putting a time delay on the level link and the door. Pretty much you'd click the action button, and then in the brain set it to were it plays the animation and then you set a certain amount of time and then it does the "level link" command.

Yeah something like the old days where you'd see the door open to black, fade to black, then fade in to the new level. You'd have to use a hallway entry to the new area or something, which feels kind of contrived, but whatever.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
http://www.twitch.tv/microsoftstudios

Livestream is up...kind of. Having some issues despite a delay.

Awwwwwwwww yis!

EDIT: :(

but...
Video replay of this afternoon's Project Spark stream is now available if you missed it live: http://youtu.be/c9V9jHdDKD4

If you haven't already signed up for beta, you can do so at www.projectspark.com although it'd be super helpful if someone could also collect the names of any NeoGAFfers that are interested into a single list for me, so I can make sure you all get keys early.

-Mike

AWWWWWWW YIS(er)!

hipbabboom

Hi mike... me again <3

So while watching the latest live stream, I heard the scary words "Prop Limit" and it got me thinking of a few things that I hope you could clarify or have your team clarify.

The first
What is the prop limit and is it the same on all platforms? for example: games on XB1 have about 5 GBs of RAM (and guaranteed storage) to work with while games on 360 have about 480 MBs of RAM (and optional storage between 4 and 320 GB) while the PC world could be very large finite variations on that. Is there sort of a lowest common denominator thing going on here or will users be able to tag content by platform so that they can, for example, create content that will only be played on platforms with more resources?

I'm also aware that cloud storage isn't free and that the team probably went with pre-made objects to save on the storage requirements for mess and textures but is there also a concept of how much data a user can store locally versus sharing in the cloud?

Second
In a past stream, the team showed of the infinite worlds feature and also , more notably, the ability to let the user have portals that let the user jump from one world to another. I really see this as a way to have a good hub-and-spoke model with an over-world that veins out into individual interior rooms and other enclosed spaces. This will go a long way of solving prop limit issues I would imagine but the question is a scenario I need to set up to ask properly:

Lets say I have a hub world with three spaces: A dungeon, a town and a store within the town. Each space has an entrance/exit or an entrance and an exit al defined by level-loading portals. Is it possible to have an exit portal in once space point back to an entrance portal from the space that originally led to it?

The problem I'm trying to solve is not going to the same place in the over-world every time I enter an enclosed space and then exit but rather returning to the specific portal I entered through. A simple version of this question is: Can I have multiple level loading portals in a world and can I chose where in the world I jump to when linking to another world?

Additionally, is it possible to have these nested. I think the setup of Diablo 3 (what I'm currently playing :p) best describes all the concerns I have in this topic.

I'll leave it at this since these seem pretty lengthy and unreasonable as it stands. Nevertheless, thank you again for any answers you can find.

- - -

Bonus: Just in case I missed it... has the team spoke about sound and music in game yet?

J10

Banned
They've explained that the prop limit is nebulous. Size of objects, object type, objects with brains vs. objects without, etc. all count towards the total limit in different ways. The game lets you know when you're coming up on the limit. I assume using the terrain to occlude things probably gives you more room to play with.

All that stuff having to do with level linking is possible.

There's a stream tomorrow afternoon on sound creation. 12PM/PDT

belushy

Banned
Something to add to the OP. Schedule for Spark streams.

Team Dakota announces the set Project Spark developer live stream schedule.
Tuesdays at Noon PDT www.twitch.tv/project_spark
Thursdays 3pm PDT www.twitch.tv/project_spark
We plan to continue these streams until the launch of the Win8 beta.
Videos of the stream will be uploaded to the Project Spark Youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/JoinProjectSpark
Thanks!
-Mike

http://www.reddit.com/r/projectsparkgame/comments/1mji7d/project_spark_live_stream_schedule/

hipbabboom

They've explained that the prop limit is nebulous. Size of objects, object type, objects with brains vs. objects without, etc. all count towards the total limit in different ways. The game lets you know when you're coming up on the limit. I assume using the terrain to occlude things probably gives you more room to play with.

All that stuff having to do with level linking is possible.

There's a stream tomorrow afternoon on sound creation. 12PM/PDT

Thanks for the info man :)

J10

Banned
Hey Mike, a couple of quick questions about symmetry. I know that copying and pasting objects is possible. Is there a way to draw a selection around a group of objects and copy them all at once and invert their placement so that the copies mirror the originals? Is there a way to copy/paste and mirror terrain? (That one is probably a long shot.) Could you guys at some point demo whatever grid and ruler tools might be available?

Stampy

Watching today's stream, throwing my wallet at the screen but nothing is happening.

Yep, that's the problem with f2p games, but they'll figure a way. :p

The stream was fun.Glad they went deep with the audio. And that rock statue was really inspiring. Keep on with the good stuff. You are just making the wait harder.

klaus

Very nice video!

I have the following two questions for Mike.
- Can we scale objects in a non-uniform way, for example flooring a cube into a plane / board?
- Is it possible to change a group of objects after placing them like changing a prefab / template, or do we have to create spawner objects that create the desired objects at runtime? I wondered that when you showed how to duplicate the rocks with gravity..

Stampy

The last stream was really good. Shame I couldn't watch it live.

Mike, we will be able to do only sound recordings also, and just paste it to a movement that was already recorded?

You can add me to the list of people who are curious to see a racer created in Project Spark. Ideally a 3D racer, if that's possible.

Orca

I've missed the last two, but I'm catching up while the kids are in bed. How much will we be able to customize the speech balloons? The ones I've seen are squared off, have they shown bubble style ones?

J10

Banned
I've missed the last two, but I'm catching up while the kids are in bed. How much will we be able to customize the speech balloons? The ones I've seen are squared off, have they shown bubble style ones?

Many facets of the UI are customizable - fonts, text color, energy bars, button prompts - but they have yet to indicate the full extent of those options. That stuff is not in a state where they can publicly dig into it too deeply yet.

Very nice video!

I have the following two questions for Mike.
- Can we scale objects in a non-uniform way, for example flooring a cube into a plane / board?
- Is it possible to change a group of objects after placing them like changing a prefab / template, or do we have to create spawner objects that create the desired objects at runtime? I wondered that when you showed how to duplicate the rocks with gravity..

Mike said on this past Tuesday's stream that non-uniform scaling of objects is not possible.

You can dictate how and when objects spawn at runtime and you can also swap out the mesh of an object in editing; if you have a jumping rock but later you decide you'd rather it be a jumping tree, keep the jumping AI and just change the mesh from rock to tree.

Mike_Lescault

Neo Member
Sorry that I've been absent for a bit, I know I still owe you some answers. Here's what we're planning for today's live stream:

Mike and Henry from Team Dakota will show off a community created inventory system and demonstrate how you can use it in your own Project Spark creation. Designer Rob Poerschke will teach you how to make a side-scrolling platformer. And the team will take requests and questions from the live Twitch chat audience and demonstrate the answers on screen in-game. Today at 3pm PDT. (about 3 hours from now)

www.twitch.tv/project_spark

We may also add in a surprise feature announcement if there is strong attendance during the stream. :)

-Mike

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Tuning in now :)

Top Bottom