• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protesters Surround KKK Gathering In Charlottesville

Slayven

What is the middle ground of this Coldpizza?

150408091220-walter-scott-shooting-framegrab-large-169.jpg

#Bluelivesmatter isn't representative of the entire policing community the same way that #Blacklivesmatter doesn't represent all black people.

But police unions are

Valhelm

contribute something
Okay, that's a fair point, but not the one you initially argued. You made it sound like there were specific policies geared towards minorities, unless you're insinuating there's a policy to enforce them unequally?

Policies ostensibly meant to solve problems affecting specifically target certain segments of the population, harming these communities' access to capital and political wherewithal. This is how structural racism operates.

ColdPizza

Banned
Yes absolutely don't use both sides when talking about black folk and the police... Don't use it here, don't use it at the dinner table with your family, don't use it in the park with your friends, or at school, or at work, on a bus, on a plane, anwyhere.

lol, ok

When I Googled the kkk website like 6 years ago I recall seeing the faq being all non chalant like

"do you really hate all minorities?"

"ah ha ha ha Timmy you little rascal. This is a common misconception. We don't hate minorities, we just believe that America as a country has always thrived with white people in charge"

Or some shit. These people are so up their own ass I don't even think they acknowledge they're racists.
You will not here them say explicitly "we are racists" because like most institutions or groups, they want to recruit people. So they have to take positions more palatable that can help them dupe ignorant people into thinking their is any logic behind their beliefs.

Today it's beaten in to kids heads "being racist is wrong ok", but our school system basically stops there so they only superficially avoid the term because they know it's a losing battle if they don't.

They know full well they are racist but are more careful with their rhetoric than they have been in the past to attempt to make their hatred seem justified.

Valhelm

contribute something
The "both sides" narrative on nearly any issue is a reactionary fiction that ignores the social inequality at the root of most political conflicts.

Do you know what that picture I posted is of?

That's a huge section of the NYPD turning their back against De Blasio at a funeral for a murdered cop and why? Because
police unions and their allies are blaming recent calls to bring more accountability to America's police forces from New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and the Obama administration.
for causing the murders.

They also blamed protesters protesting Eric Garner's killer walking free

But sure lol ok me because I say don't say both sides.

Ponn

Banned
If minorities would just be quiet and not say bad things about cops i'm positive the Police and people like Coldpizza will get things straightened out for you.

ColdPizza

Banned
Do you know what that picture is of?

That's a huge section of the NYPD turning their back against De Blasio at a funeral for a murdered cop and why? Because for causing the murders.

They also blamed protesters protesting Eric Garner's killer walking free

But sure lol ok me.

I will, because they didn't make anyone murder a fellow cop. They chose to act on their own. Everyone makes their own choices.

ColdPizza

Banned
So willing to address the deep rot that picture represents then?

I don't know much about it other than those cops worried about being able to do their jobs safely as effectively. Whether that's true or not I don't know. Often we can't foresee how policy can affect things in advance.

I don't know much about it other than those cops worried about being able to do their jobs safely as effectively. Whether that's true or not I don't know. Often we can't foresee how policy can affect things in advance.

Almost an entire force turned their back at a fucking funeral because they blamed protesters, Obama, De Balsio for not "supporting them".

That's systemic man. When you blame people trying to fix the system for causing murder... that's systemic.

And look at that picture... it was basically all of them.

Yea, people are willfully ignorant or just don't care. Or agree with it.
Pretty much. The police force is working as intended. It'll never change cause the people who see this and don't care are the ones who can really make a difference. Diet Racism.

This thread is another great example of why shit won't change, as soon as you start to point out how shot is wrong it always "not all of us/them". When standing by and not saying shit is just as bad as doing it.

You're calling this childish, considering you're trying to shut down certain avenues of discussion? No thanks.

Jesus you're one step away from claiming I'm trying to censor you.

I can't actually stop you. You can sit down with your family and talk all you want about how really both sides are at fault for police brutality if you want I can't stop you.

What I can say is that that mindset is completely not based in reality and that black folk could tomorrow stop saying boo about the police and they'd still be at risk, they'd still be killed, and brutalized at the exact same rate.

When you say both sides you are blaming the oppressed for part of their own oppression.

This thread has reminded me as a white man that getting banned for going #notallcops last year was probably the best thing that could have happened to my view on race relations and the nature of the police force in America.

Sometimes y'all need to listen before jumping to the defense of police officers.

ColdPizza

Banned
This thread has reminded me as a white man that getting banned for going #notallcops last year was probably the best thing that could have happened to my view on race relations and the nature of the police force in America.

Sometimes y'all need to listen before jumping to the defense of police officers.

There's a good chance that ban was unwarranted if it was Bishoptl. We all know what happened there.

The rift between de Blasio and the NYPD began when hhe campaigned on stopping the ineffective stop-and-frisk policy that primarily targeted minorities. The cops took it as an attack on them. Then de Blasio talked about how he had to give "the talk" to his mixed-race son if he ever encountered a cop. The NYPD saw criticism as anti-cop and turned their backs on him for it.

There's a good chance that ban was unwarranted if it was Bishoptl. We all know what happened there.
I don't know who it was and I don't care or know about what "happened" with him. The focus of the post wasn't to bring that up. I do know that it was deserved for shitting up a thread with being obtuse and ignorant on the American police force though. Reminds me of someone.

ColdPizza

Banned
Jesus you're one step away from claiming I'm trying to censor you.

I can't actually stop you. You can sit down with your family and talk all you want about how really both sides are at fault for police brutality if you want I can't stop you.

What I can say is that that mindset is completely not based in reality and that black folk could tomorrow stop saying boo about the police and they'd still be at risk, they'd still be killed, and brutalized at the exact same rate.

When you say both sides you are blaming the oppressed for part of their own oppression.

What actually is your goal with me? If you want me to leave, I won't, but if you want to convince me in a discussion then I'm more than willing to listen.

I agree there are systemic issues with race and the police. My initial issue with this thread and so many other threads involving race is that drive by posts with one off snarky remarks don't really make for good discussion. Which of course leads to people piling on and thinking I don't care. I do care, but I also care for nuanced discussion.

Nepenthe

No, not all of us do. And since you're putting it out there, even though the member in question said it did wonders for their worldview, please tell us more with accompanying links. Let's go down the rabbit hole.

R0ckman

You will not here them say explicitly "we are racists" because like most institutions or groups, they want to recruit people. So they have to take positions more palatable that can help them dupe ignorant people into thinking their is any logic behind their beliefs.

Today it's beaten in to kids heads "being racist is wrong ok", but our school system basically stops there so they only superficially avoid the term because they know it's a losing battle if they don't.

They know full well they are racist but are more careful with their rhetoric than they have been in the past to attempt to make their hatred seem justified.

Thinking about your post made me think of something that may not be specifically relevant but is a general comment upon the broader scope of this whole thing.

While I think the KKK and the like are evil, from your comment I realized that they may not necessarily believe what they are doing is "right." The more intelligent within their ranks that penetrate the more "power play" type possitions in society like governmemt and law enforcement, might very well believe or know they are evil, but they have a "go for broke" attitude about everything they are doing. What they believe probably is not out of feeling it's "right", but out of desperation.

"We can't lose this position!"

"We need to be in charge."

"Things are better when we are the authority"

To me, that does not sound like a moral argument anyone at a decent intelligence can be convinced by. So it seems to fall inline with a desperate NEED rather than an actual belief in doing the right thing. While the dumber of the bunch of them must rationlize it as a concept of morality to combat cognative dissonance it probably isn't a factor to others.

So I would relate the force behind the evil in the KKK as related more to a feeling of needing to eat when one is starving rather than the feeling "I'm doing the right thing" when feeding or giving to the poor.

No, not all of us do. And since you're putting it out there, even though the member in question said it did wonders for their worldview, please tell us more with accompanying links. Let's go down the rabbit hole.
Yeah I got the feeling that it was some gaf conspiracy dogwhistling.

What actually is your goal with me? If you want me to leave, I won't, but if you want to convince me in a discussion then I'm more than willing to listen.

I agree there are systemic issues with race and the police. My initial issue with this thread and so many other threads involving race is that drive by posts with one off snarky remarks don't really make for good discussion. Which of course leads to people piling on and thinking I don't care. I do care, but I also care for nuanced discussion.

No one is trying to convince you of anything. The data is there. The evidence is there. You are most likely a lost cause.

I am talking. I don't have a goal with you. I'm just talking.

There's a ton of nuance in what I wrote and yet you interpret it as me telling you to fuck off...

You're trying to hold both sides responsible and that's just not the reality.

Top Bottom