• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ version of Driveclub will have 5 tracks (1 country) and 10 cars.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Should get an Xbox. At least they didn't have to pay for their KI demo.

Why would they want to over pay for under powered HW though?

See, it works both ways

I hope you're big enough to take it as you are to dish it out.

PR fluff coming from the actual developer is news, yeah. For instance, the Konami web-guy didn't lie about the amount of content in Ground Zeroes, he ignored it because lying to your customers is horse shit. The way they lied about the amount of content is the similar to how they claimed 30fps was their intention all along. If that was true, they would have been shouting 30fps is the best shit, no need to be worried. You seem to be in a battered spouse type relationship with game devs. If the devs lie, just don't buy.

Hey look, you're calling me poor because I don't want to buy shit that the dev's lied about. You're already getting half a game with the framerate, but then they steal a slot from an actual game on PS+. But you seem to have a nerve struck implying your shit buying tactics are anything but developer stockholm syndrome. You need to quit gagging on Evolution's shit, you're stinking up the thread. PEACE.
In the core of his points he's right though. I wouldn't choose to get snippy or sarcastic but he's as right as the extreme opposite end if not more grounded than the overreactions.

USC-fan

Banned
giphy.gif

Plebs crying about the size of their crumbs

lol well played

viveks86

I'm not sure it would ever be possible to complete the singleplayer with a pared back number of tracks if the singleplayer used all the tracks during the "campaign" (and why wouldn't it?). Kinda a weird claim when you think about it.

Exactly. I'd like a link for any such official claim last year that you can "complete" the entire single player campaign that full retail buyers get. I haven't come across one yet.

THEY didnt promise anything...a single employee made a post on GAF...and you still have the PS+ version with the option to upgrade...

He is the game director for Drive Club. I guess his words mean nothing. Just a single random employee.

And there is still a PS+ version with the option to upgrade? I know. The lack of a PS+ version isn't what I was annoyed about.

Freudian slip. Driveclub has a few things in common with Watchdogs at this point. Long delays, lies by the dev/publisher. Generally not good things.

How do you know? Why are you explaining the mistakes of another poster?

Last I checked it was the Instant Game Collection, not the Instant Demo Collection.

If you were a PS Plus member, you would know that there are also Trails, demos and discounts offered as a part of these. Let me be perfectly honest here, I understand being disappointed in hearing something is different than expected but the amount of vitriol makes no sense in this thread.

By the time this game is released there will be almost an additional year of work on the title. There is no telling what content that they had expected to release versus what is being released now. There is no way of telling if they simply added in future releases into the package so the expected parameters changed.

Take for instance, what if it had been KI instead of Driveclub? Since the release of the game Spinal, Fulgore and an arcade mode was released. The game is a different beast from when it first started thanks to the addition of newer characters and a mode, but any promise made about the state of the game before its release would have changed after a year from its release.

In the case of DC, there is no telling what exactly was slated and what was not. The game even has a new director. What if they salvaged things from the cutting room floor and decided it could work?

And aside from the content, the developers of the games can only promise so much some titles are at the whim of the publisher (see Titanfall) so even if a dev says it, there is no real reason to believe it is set in stone.

He is the game director for Drive Club. I guess his words mean nothing. Just a single random employee.

And there is still a PS+ version with the option to upgrade? I know. The lack of a PS+ version isn't what I was annoyed about.

At the time he wasn't the director of the game. That change happened basically five months after that post was made, iirc, so that means seven months of work and planning and possible changes from that post to today's news.

Juzie

Neo Member
like ive said...the whole experience is there...but obviously with less tracks/cars there are things you cant do

No it's not. 20% (or less) of the experience is there. One level of a game (limited tracks) with a large portion the weapons cut out (limited cars) is not a full experience either.

Goon Boon

Banned
once again...youre taking the words of one single employee, from a single GAF post and twisting them to be some sort of official communication from the developer or publisher...which is flawed logic at best...

What percentage of the game's tracks/cars do you think the developer can refer to as "few" without being misleading? Let's start with easy amounts : What is the most "few" can refer to : 25%, 33%, 50%, 66%, 75%, or 90%?

orochi91

How do you know? Why are you explaining the mistakes of another poster?

If you were a PS Plus member, you would know that there are also Trails, demos and discounts offered as a part of these. Let me be perfectly honest here, I understand being disappointed in hearing something is different than expected but the amount of vitriol makes no sense in this thread.

By the time this game is released there will be almost an additional year of work on the title. There is no telling what content that they had expected to release versus what is being released now. There is no way of telling if they simply added in future releases into the package so the expected parameters changed.

Take for instance, what if it had been KI instead of Driveclub? Since the release of the game Spinal, Fulgore and an arcade mode was released. The game is a different beast from when it first started thanks to the addition of newer characters and a mode, but any promise made about the state of the game before its release would have changed after a year from its release.

In the case of DC, there is no telling what exactly was slated and what was not. The game even has a new director. What if they salvaged things from the cutting room floor and decided it could work?

And aside from the content, the developers of the games can only promise so much some titles are at the whim of the publisher (see Titanfall) so even if a dev says it, there is no real reason to believe it is set in stone.

At this point Slashlen has to be trolling lol.

Synth

so now youre beginning to understand the concept of outrageous, exaggerated comparisons and analogies...now look in the mirror...

I'm not sure if you're just grouping everyone together here or something, but I only began replying to you to point out that your analogy was flawed. I hadn't made one... so why should I need to look in the mirror?

I agree. I don't know if you were attempting to tell me off but yeah, it's basically a demo but it surely packs a bigger punch for the free Plus offering. Now MGS GZ is a damn shame and fair ground here in this thread but it sold and sold well given it's demo status.

Nope, not attempting to tell you off, just thought I'd answer the question, as I have a pretty firm definition of what I view as a demo. I think the MGS stuff was way worse, and have no intention of ever buying it. But it's not a demo in my eyes.

THEY didnt promise anything...a single employee made a post on GAF...and you still have the PS+ version with the option to upgrade...

Sony didnt lie about SHIT!...where does this stuff come from!?

once again...youre taking the words of one single employee, from a single GAF post and twisting them to be some sort of official communication from the developer or publisher...which is flawed logic at best...

and you still have no context for what the "few" meant...

I assume this now means we're all cool with Albert Penello, as anything he may have posted on GAF should be overlooked as he was not calling all the shots in regards to the Xbox One. MS cannot be accused of having a history of lying about anything the Ballmer hadn't said himself.

LiquidMetal14

What percentage of the game's tracks/cars do you think the developer can refer to as "few" without being misleading? Let's start with easy amounts : What is the most "few" can refer to : 25%, 33%, 50%, 66%, 75%, or 90%?

I don't know but when the game comes out and we're having a blast with it, this business really won't matter. In the end, when you go back to your real world life, I sure as hell hope you don't lose sleep over this. I've seen worse atrocities.

I
Nope, not attempting to tell you off, just thought I'd answer the question, as I have a pretty firm definition of what I view as a demo. I think the MGS stuff was way worse, and have no intention of ever buying it. But it's not a demo in my eyes.

I figured you weren't and that's why I really didn't take much offense and rebut your point sharply.

213372bu

Banned
OF COURSE YOU CANT COMPLETE THE SINGLE PLAYER GAME WITHOUT ALL OF THE TRACKS!!! WTF PEOPLE!!??

Sony didnt lie about SHIT!...where does this stuff come from!?
Calm down dude, don't get a ban over being overtly defensive, it was said in many press interviews. Despite having a full SP vefore, we were still missing a few cars and tracks. Now it seems as though it is even more cut(?)
I can quote a million and one interviews but almost the same thing is being chanted around, as per usual with game announcements :

and then contradicts itself in the next statement:
I mean aren't we being limited by not accessing all the countries and cars that are provided in the SP by those who paid?
The content is being cut from the trial version, not the one you were going to buy. I don't see why this should affect your purchase decision unless you feel insulted by the misleading statements from the devs.

I am. I might even still buy the game if the devs actually can come out and clarify this situation and publicly say, "Hey we were wrong about what we said last year, sorry!"

Edit: And come on, you can think this is just and totally think that the term "few" goes far past semantics. Now you know if this was Forza and MS said they were offering a free version with the "full SP experience" just like this one and they only provided 20% of that, assuming each country has the same amount of races and cars for use, everybody would be up their ass.

I think I'm glad to not hold any strong ties to any companies to the point where I delude myself like some people on here. I mean come on, 80% isn't a few things we're missing out on, don't fool yourself.

Slashlen

Why would they want to over pay for under powered HW though?

See, it works both ways

I hope you're big enough to take it as you are to dish it out.

Lol, do you think I'm a MS fan? Feel free to check my post history prior to this thread. If anything, SonyGAF may feel a little betrayed from my stance in this thread.

The answer to your question though, is superior value though 60FPS demos.

Goon Boon

Banned
I don't know but when the game comes out and we're having a blast with it, this business really won't matter. In the end, when you go back to your real world life, I sure as hell hope you don't lose sleep over this. I've seen worse atrocities.

I'm playing Civ-5 and doing laundry while arguing with people about a game dev's lies. There's no lack of good racing games, and even though I don't believe Driveclub will be one, I hope you enjoy it.

Metfanant

he has only been the game director since February...he was NOT when those comments were made...

No it's not. 20% (or less) of the experience is there. One level of a game (limited tracks) with a large portion the weapons cut out (limited cars) is not a full experience either.

again...you have access to all the game modes...obviously there are things you cant do if you dont have all of the cars and tracks...this has not changed one bit since November...

impossible to answer because we dont have the context of how much content there WAS vs how much content there IS....

viveks86

"What that means is that all the game modes, the single-player experience is all there in the PlayStation Plus version."

Ah I see. So "single player experience is there" implies that "you can complete the entire campaign". For a thread that is so particular about words used, isn't it strange that this one is a total extrapolation?

Loudninja

This sums it up nicely
"The PS Plus Edition will still be out, along with the Blu-Ray and digital edition and what it’ll offer is a cut-down version of the content," he explains. "So you won’t get all the cars, you won’t get all the tracks, but you still get all the key features: you’ll be able to play online, multiplayer races, you’ll be able to join a club, create connections, attend challenges and even play through part of the single-player game and unlock Trophies as well."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/30/driveclubs-new-game-director-talks-delay-dlc-and-taking-over

Goon Boon

Banned
impossible to answer because we dont have the context of how much content there WAS vs how much content there IS....

Hypothetical, let's say the game had 100 tracks and 500 cars and now there's 120 tracks and 600 cars(farfetched, but they're nice big numbers so they can be scaled down). What's the most of each total that you could call "few" without intentionally misleading people?

ron_bato

Can't believe people are crying about this.

DriveClub is one of the few and only AAA arcade racers we're getting this gen with insane production values and features.

That we're even getting as much as they're offering is a great value, and effectively you're going to be able to purchase the entire game for a discounted price if you're a PS+ member anyway.

They haven't revealed the price, but if it's 30-40 bucks for the upgrade, that's a great deal...and it looks like Sony is giving them the development time to make the game great.

I looked at the thread title and I thought, hey that's not a bad deal. Sounds good, I'm not a racing fan, and it looks like there's enough content there to actually play the game, if I like it, then I'll upgrade (which is what they wanted you to do with this plus edition anyway). So in that sense, I'm happy.

That said, if some people feel bad/angry/misled about what they see as Sony and Evolution 'under-delivering' on what was discussed before, I can't say I fault them due to the nature the plus edition was discussed. However, I will say that I'm used to PR speak and that I didn't come in expecting much with the plus edition anyways.

golem

Exactly. I'd like a link for any such official claim last year that you can "complete" the entire single player campaign that full retail buyers get. I haven't come across one yet.

Does "the full game minus a few cars/tracks" sound like it would include the single player campaign or not include single player?

LiquidMetal14

Lol, do you think I'm a MS fan? Feel free to check my post history prior to this thread. If anything, SonyGAF may feel a little betrayed from my stance in this thread.

The answer to your question though, is superior value though 60FPS demos.

See, I put that out there since you put your smart ass XB quip. And I told you what I was doing. I don't troll. I tell you this stuff to your face and before you command me to check your post history, I've seen enough of your posts in this thread alone to balk.

SonyGAF, I can't comment on that. I have no other half witted sarcastic insults or will call you a fanboy as you represent yourself enough to be called out by others for inflammatory remarks.

I'm playing Civ-5 and doing laundry while arguing with people about a game dev's lies. There's no lack of good racing games, and even though I don't believe Driveclub will be one, I hope you enjoy it.

I don't know if I will but I do have strong convictions about trolling and deep end comments just as some here as yourself have a strong position, you would be best served to see how hyperbolic and inflammatory others are being.

And be a man, buy a washer/dryer on Craigslist :p

daman824

Makes you wonder what the original size was going to be. And how much content they actually had in the game before the year long delay.

I wonder how over-budget they went and if that factored into their decision when they were deciding how much to put in the free version.

he has only been the game director since February...he was NOT when those comments were made...

Doesn't matter. Sony should keep their employees on a tighter leash if they don't want them making announcements they never intended to follow through with. If this single employee was wrong Sony should have immediately clarified the situation. They did nothing.

Loudninja

Its not possible, even if they offer a large portion of the SP.

I mean this is common sense.

Juzie

Neo Member
Hypothetical, let's say the game had 100 tracks and 500 cars and now there's 120 tracks and 600 cars(farfetched, but they're nice big numbers so they can be scaled down). What's the most of each total that you could call "few" without intentionally misleading people?

Id say 400 cars and 80 tracks. Even then it's stretching it and would generate a shitstorm of its own.

Metfanant

Hypothetical, let's say the game had 100 tracks and 500 cars and now there's 200 tracks and 1000 cars(farfetched, but they're nice big numbers so they can be scaled down). What's the most of each total that you could call "few" without intentionally misleading people?

youre still twisting the words of a single employee making a GAF post...and youre still be a whining child by doing it....

nobody lied to you...nobody misled you...the game was delayed for a year...and this is what we're getting...

if youre that upset, please file a lawsuit claiming that "Sony lied to me about the Driveclub PS+ version" and see how far that gets you

I assume this now means we're all cool with Albert Penello, as anything he may have posted on GAF should be overlooked as he was not calling all the shots in regards to the Xbox One. MS cannot be accused of having a history of lying about anything the Ballmer hadn't said himself.

Let me get this straight........ this guy, Albert Penello, who's description here includes " Leads planning for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Kinect." Wouldn't be considered a guy who is calling shots?

viveks86

Does "the full game minus a few cars/tracks" sound like it would include the single player campaign or not include single player?

Of course it includes single player. It includes single player as a game mode. Obviously you can't complete it because the tracks are all not there. If you were going to argue otherwise, show me some racing games were you can "complete" the single player campaign without beating all the tracks they made for you and the percentage of such games out there.

Juzie

Neo Member
youre still twisting the words of a single employee making a GAF post...and youre still be a whining child by doing it....

nobody lied to you...nobody misled you...the game was delayed for a year...and this is what we're getting...

if youre that upset, please file a lawsuit claiming that "Sony lied to me about the Driveclub PS+ version" and see how far that gets you

It's called an official statement. You clearly don't know how these things work. You can't just rock up for a coming you work for and speak for them, if he did that the company would be very unpleased with him.

213372bu

Banned
Ah I see. So "single player experience is there" implies that "you can complete the entire campaign". For a thread that is so particular about words used, isn't it strange that this one is a total extrapolation?

Well, that's the funny part. The developers have also said "full single player experience".

Technically, it is the "full experience of SP" if we're experiencing the Sp the same way as the people who bought the game.

But if "technically" they don't go out and clarify for their mind-games and manipulation, assuming this is all true, I can "technically" choose to not buy this game anymore.

daman824

People were misled. And they're in the right to be disappointed.

Pimpwerx

PR fluff coming from the actual developer is news, yeah. For instance, the Konami web-guy didn't lie about the amount of content in Ground Zeroes, he ignored it because lying to your customers is horse shit. The way they lied about the amount of content is the similar to how they claimed 30fps was their intention all along. If that was true, they would have been shouting 30fps is the best shit, no need to be worried. You seem to be in a battered spouse type relationship with game devs. If the devs lie, just don't buy.

Hey look, you're calling me poor because I don't want to buy shit that the dev's lied about. You're already getting half a game with the framerate, but then they steal a slot from an actual game on PS+. But you seem to have a nerve struck implying your shit buying tactics are anything but developer stockholm syndrome. You need to quit gagging on Evolution's shit, you're stinking up the thread. PEACE.
The game got delayed a year.
The quotes you're harping on came prior to the announced delays and management shuffle.
They never gave a number of cars or tracks before.

I'm not sure where they lied other than you wish to write a book on the importance of the word "few." I mean, just look how you're comparing my reaction to Stockholm syndrome. Really? It'll be ok, bruv. It's really not that serious. You seem to have invested an awful lot of emotional capital in a scant few words that you misconstrued as promised, then extrapolated beyond reason. IOW, you did it into yourself. PEACE.

orochi91

Let me get this straight........ this guy, Albert Penello, who's description here includes " Leads planning for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Kinect." Wouldn't be considered a guy who is calling shots?

Yea, that was a piss poor comparison, Synth.

Makes you wonder what the original size was going to be. And how much content they actually had in the game before the year long delay.

I wonder how over-budget they went and if that factored into their decision when they were deciding how much to put in the free version.

This is probably what happened. I've mentioned it before, they probably did not want
the free version undercutting the retail copy.

Synth

As in being able to shape its entire direction? No, I don't think he does. There's enough Windows 8 in the Xbox One to determine that it's being influenced by MS' "one screen" vision as a whole rather than being the vision of a single unit (or person) within the company.

EDIT: I think I need to clarify here for anyone seeing this post and not the chain that lead to it. Yes, Penello's BS should be called out. I'm just saying that Rushy's claims here are equally valid for scrutiny.

LiquidMetal14

It's called an official statement. You clearly don't know how these things work. You can't just rock up for a coming you work for and speak for them, if he did that the company would be very unpleased with him.

Here's what is either being missed or just is outright being ignored to continue this carnival - Why in the living hell would or should it matter if it was 6 tracks/20 cars and now it's 5 tracks (11 variations)/10 cars when this was going to be a FREE offering to Plus members which was a widely heralded decision given how lots of people here are excited and there are fence sitters.

Outside of the possible changes to the amount of content, would 1 extra track and 5 more cars really make you say this is better than to at least be able to give a good chunk of this game a whirl with lots of the features in there? A demo would be a more accurate description after typing this post but surely even the concern trolls would agree that 5 tracks with 11 variations, 10 cars, and a good chunk of the SP isn't what would be considered bad right? RIGHT?

The game got delayed a year.
The quotes you're harping on came prior to the announced delays and management shuffle.
They never gave a number of cars or tracks before.

I'm not sure where they lied other than you wish to write a book on the importance of the word "few." I mean, just look how you're comparing my reaction to Stockholm syndrome. Really? It'll be ok, bruv. It's really not that serious. You seem to have invested an awful lot of emotional capital in a scant few words that you misconstrued as promised, then extrapolated beyond reason. IOW, you did it into yourself. PEACE.

Now this was a better and more proper concise rebuttal. Right on.

This thread has gone ape-shit crazy.

To everyone complaining about a non-complete SP: How do you even know? We do not have a single clue how this Driveclub Tour even works. Maybe they designed it a new way so it doesn't need all cars and tracks to still be complete in the means of a game mode.
Think about it.

Anyway, I'm off to bed.

Metfanant

Rushy's GAF post is NOT an "official statement" what was released today is an "official statement"

wasnt there actually a time when Evolution released a statement correcting something Rushy said here on GAF?...ya know because he isnt the CEO and doesnt call all the shots??...

People were misled. And they're in the right to be disappointed.
by a single GAF post for a game that was delayed a year...lost its game director, and admittedly "went back to the drawing board"

The "bu bu but they promised!" posts are making me laugh the most. Like they're new to gaming or something. I'm all for bashing the man when they deserve it. But crying over something free is ridiculous. If you have such a hard on for the game surely you were going to buy the full game, right?

viveks86

It's in the OP.

Are you sure about what that means? In terms of events? What are these events? Did anyone who has read this quote before today's announcement have that clarified? Seriously, Stu. In the last 6 months of following Driveclub threads I haven't come across people talking about getting to "complete" the single player campaign with just the PS+ version. It makes no sense whatsoever! How the hell do you complete the full retail campaign without even having all the tracks?! But suddenly now, everyone has cherry picked what one guy said and behave like that's what they believed in all along. How did that happen?

213372bu

Banned
This thread has gone ape-shit crazy.

To everyone complaining about a non-complete SP: How do you even know? We do not have a single clue how this Driveclub Tour even works. Maybe they designed it a new way so it doesn't need all cars and tracks to still be complete in the means of a game mode.
Think about it.

Anyway, I'm off to bed.

He said that we wouldn't be able to complete the whole "DriveClub Tour" due to lack of content.

If you ignore the 4/5 people arguing over the stupid shit, people actually know in what position the genuinely concerned are in.

I would have thought an official statement would come in a form of a press release by the company and released to the proper channels, not by an employee's post on a forum. But I digress, I clearly must not know how these things work. Obviously since it worked out that way, it must be set in stone huh? Sony has committed a grave error it seems.....

StuBurns

Banned
Do you even know what they referring to?
I think it's completely clear. All of the single player events were going to be available, which makes sense because you could get a platinum from the game. It was by all indications a complete release, with the disc version having 'a few' additional tracks and cars.

What it would appear to be now is probably the first fifth of a complete game, but we'll see.

Slashlen

The "bu bu but they promised!" posts are making me laugh the most. Like they're new to gaming or something. I'm all for bashing the man when they deserve it. But crying over something free is ridiculous. If you have such a hard on for the game surely you were going to buy the full game, right?

Can I have a year of Plus? Apparently I'm an idiot for paying for it when you can get it for free.

Top Bottom